Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post-Game Updates. (News, Injuries, No More Preseason)

TKnight24

It's a bummer Boom and Ballard went down.  I do think that means Robinson and Varga stay on the roster and depending on Robinson's status (he wasn't cleared to play tonight) it might mean Tipton sticks around for another week.

Keeping four running backs probably means just five WRs make the roster (which is what was most realistic option) and I think Carter has won the fifth spot based on the last two games.  The only thing that might change that is if the Colts feel like they need Whalen for return duties but I just don't think there is a spot for him. 

Interesting that Werner, Chapman, and Hughes played so deep into the game they might very well be among the final cuts. 

It wouldn't shock me if Parry and Anderson start opening day.  I think they have shown promise in the pre-season and while there will be bumps in the road I think you let them grow into the jobs by playing.  With Jones out it's not like anyone else has far out played them at their positions. 

Gathers is going to be a factor at safety rather the Colts play some three safety packages or if he just pushes both Adams and Lowery remains to be seen but I think we should be really excited about him and this draft class in general. 

I guess we had to play Herron and Ballard tonight, right?

Ballard you had to play to see if he was going to make your final roster or not.  Boom is just one of those bad luck things.  You can't protect everyone.  With Gore not playing for sure and Robinson already out they were short handed at running back to start with.  With that said Boom was injured on a return.  Still the Colts are clearly still looking for a return man.  So they were giving Boom a chance to win that job.  Stinks that he got hurt but those things are going to happen in football. 

Based on the fact Boom was returning kicks though I wouldn't be shocked for the Colts to look for a return man after the final cuts. 

Herron didn't play RB tonight, so those complaining about his injury should understand that he is the first team kick returner.

As a kick returner, Herron has not had many reps and tonight was a chance for the kick return team to get the needed reps. Herron got hurt on a play where the defender came at him head on and Herron, rather than avoiding the contact, buried his shoulders and hit the defender at full speed. Not a smart move by Herron.

Herron didn't play RB tonight, so those complaining about his injury should understand that he is the first team kick returner.

As a kick returner, Herron has not had many reps and tonight was a chance for the kick return team to get the needed reps. Herron got hurt on a play where the defender came at him head on and Herron, rather than avoiding the contact, buried his shoulders and hit the defender at full speed. Not a smart move by Herron.

lolololol

I think the bad drafts/trades by Grigsom days are over. The future is looking good.

2013 had to be the worst FA/Draft period ever lol

It was really bad but we did end up with Butler and Walden who both are playing well now. Toler who's better than he gets credit for. If Holmes can hold down the C position and I am still hoping the light comes on for Thorton maybe Hughes. We can save a little face.

2013 will forever be remembered for Richardson and Werner

I was hoping the move to SAM would make Werner at least serviceable. He looks uninterested in the game. It might be best to cut ties now. I was one of the few that still had hope for the guy.

Grig's got it right in 2012 then did a lot with a little in 2014. Now this 2015 class looks like every pick will make the team. Good probably just the PS.

These are the drafts you have to have once we start paying are guys.

It was really bad but we did end up with Butler and Walden who both are playing well now. Toler who's better than he gets credit for. If Holmes can hold down the C position and I am still hoping the light comes on for Thorton maybe Hughes. We can save a little face.

2013 will forever be remembered for Richardson and Werner

I was hoping the move to SAM would make Werner at least serviceable. He looks uninterested in the game. It might be best to cut ties now. I was one of the few that still had hope for the guy.

Grig's got it right in 2012 then did a lot with a little in 2014. Now this 2015 class looks like every pick will make the team. Good probably just the PS.

These are the drafts you have to have once we start paying are guys.

Werner might have had his worst game tonight and that's saying something. He was abysmal. There's not one positive thing to say about his play. I'm not sure if he even recorded a single tackle.

Could've sat Boom. Bonehead Pagano thought otherwise

Ballard Tipton Varga

No reason for Boom to play

He wasn't in at RB, he was returning kicks. He was in for 2 plays and got hurt. % happens, it isn't like he was competing for a starting job like Sanchez was a few years ago.

Price - Concussion

Herron - Shoulder

Ballard - Hammy

Sylvestre - Ankle

The post I was responding to was about all our RB injuries coming into the game. My point was we had 1 injury coming into the game, Robinson. Ballard had been hurt but played so he wasn't injured.

Is that how Boom got injured?

In the 4th qtr returning kicks?

Yes on Kick Off return I believe it was in the 2nd quarter.

Bray and Varga have looked good back there. I am guessing we were looking at Boom to see the pay off of keeping Bray or Varga on the 53 man.

From what I have seen Bray has been our best KR/PR hands down. He had the fumble but that happens to rookies until they get used to the speed of the game. It happened to Dorsett too. The kids aren't used to getting touched from behind pretty easy to clean up.

We are so deep at WR it will be difficult to keep Bray as the KR/PR even more difficult to have him active.

Cuts should be very interesting

He wasn't in at RB, he was returning kicks. He was in for 2 plays and got hurt. % happens, it isn't like he was competing for a starting job like Sanchez was a few years ago.

There was no reason for him to play. Want a returner?

Quan Bray

Griff Whalen

Duran Carter

Vincent Brown

Who cares if they're productive back there? It's a meaningless game

Ballard. He's been hurt for 3 years.  He probably wasn't even going to make the team anyway. And he got hurt on the very next play after Herron went down.  Shocking i know.  I like Ballard, but he's done and was done before this game even started.

You are right, you can't sit everyone.  But i'm sure there were other options to return a kickoff beside your 2nd string running back. 

Ballard wasn't well enough to play in this game though. We had 1 guy out because of injury.

Quan Bray

Griff Whalen

Duran Carter

Vincent Brown

You can say this about any preseason game, but eventually they all need to get some reps before the season starts.

Because they were trying to find someone who could return it past the 15 yard line?

I don't know why people think the 4th preseason game doesn't matter. 'Just throw all your bums out there.' We just cut 15 bums a few days ago. Some contributors have to play in the last game. 

You can say this about any preseason game, but eventually they all need to get some reps before the season starts.

I get that, but not boom. I didn't mind Mewhort playing cause he needs all the reps he can get with the position switch. I just don't like the idea that Boom played one of the most dangerous spots on the field when it wasn't necessary

Quan Bray

Griff Whalen

Duran Carter

Vincent Brown

We are looking for our starting KR. It's a tough spot because of our WR depth. Bray is obviously the best PR/KR I have seen this yr but how do you have him active on game day?

We have seen Carter try to return kicks not good. Moncrief not much better. That's our problem the WR's at the back of the depth chart don't provide much in the return game or ST's in general.

Hopefully Boom's ok but I don't see the problem using game 4 to decide what we are doing on ST's that's going to be a huge factor in getting to 53. If they were using him to run the ball different story.

I've said it before. I think the inability to accept that Ballard is done is a big part of the problem. The fans can hope but the coaches can't.

He's fought leg injuries all camp typical for a RB coming of an Achilles. I don't think he's been healthy for more than a wk at a time.

IMO we should have moved on sooner. Varga should have been getting the RB reps and KO reps. I think they were still hoping for a miracle despite the constant nagging injuries resulting in the need for a KR on game day. Enter Boom.

I get that, but not boom. I didn't mind Mewhort playing cause he needs all the reps he can get with the position switch. I just don't like the idea that Boom played one of the most dangerous spots on the field when it wasn't necessary

Chuck thought it was necessary to figure out our return man. I don't remember Boom getting many other shots returning this preseason. He's really barely played this preseason, much like a starter.

I don't know why people think the 4th preseason game doesn't matter. 'Just throw all your bums out there.' We just cut 15 bums a few days ago. Some contributors have to play in the last game. 

That brings up another question.  Why do teams have to make that first cut after the third preseason game?  Why not just let those guys continue to play through the 4th game and then have all the cuts after that?

Flash..you actualy CAN sit everybody of significance in the 4th pre-season game. You really can.

You dont need reps as a kick returner....the team does but the returner doesn't.

High risk...very high risk

But its done now.....and the injuries continue

Flash..you actualy CAN sit everybody of significance in the 4th pre-season game. You really can.

You dont need reps as a kick returner....the team does but the returner doesn't.

High risk...very high risk

But its done now.....and the injuries continue

Herron is a back up RB, not our starter. He hasn't had opportunities to return kicks. How do we know he can do it if he never gets a chance to show he can or not?

I don't blame Pagano for giving Herron an opportunity.

Going back and watching the game, all of the first special teams units played, including Dorsett at punt returner. It's evident that the Colts special teams units, especially the return teams haven't been playing well. It looks like the coaches wanted more work for them during live action.

Injuries worry me somewhat and their D worries me big time regardless of injuries. If Shady doesn't play though that would be a big weapon not available. Hopefully they would put Davis on Watkins and force Tire Rod to beat the Colts without McCoy. I couldn't imagine going up against their D fully loaded in crappy, slick snowy weather.

That would be the best time. Snowy weather favors the offense. They know where they are going and are able to cut cleanly etc...the defense is at a disadvantage....slows down pass rush and it makes for slips when guys cut on them.

That brings up another question.  Why do teams have to make that first cut after the third preseason game?  Why not just let those guys continue to play through the 4th game and then have all the cuts after that?

I think they allow some players a chance to make another team...in either the 53 man or more likely to at least make a practice squad. A wr say on our team may not make even our practice squad etc but could make a 53 on other teams etc. Lots of injuries and teams need certain positions to get through that last game. This way players still have a chance to hook up with another team. Sometimes the guys that get cut first might be rated ahead of guys still on the team because he is too far down on the depth chart or because they know he won't make their team but to give him a shot to make another squad.

I think they allow some players a chance to make another team...in either the 53 man or more likely to at least make a practice squad. A wr say on our team may not make even our practice squad etc but could make a 53 on other teams etc. Lots of injuries and teams need certain positions to get through that last game. This way players still have a chance to hook up with another team. Sometimes the guys that get cut first might be rated ahead of guys still on the team because he is too far down on the depth chart or because they know he won't make their team but to give him a shot to make another squad.

I get that allows a player more time to catch on with another team, but the vast majority of those players in the first cut are not going to make any team.

My sentiments exactly!

I still can't quite understand why Boom Herron was returning kickoffs in the fourth preseason game. Like, why?

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

September 4, 2015

I still can't quite understand why Boom Herron was returning kickoffs in the fourth preseason game. Like, why?

Why can't a cow have kittens ... why oh why oh why! Because we are not dealing with the brightest bulbs in the shed here folks!

That would be the best time. Snowy weather favors the offense. They know where they are going and are able to cut cleanly etc...the defense is at a disadvantage....slows down pass rush and it makes for slips when guys cut on them.

I agree to a certain extent my friend but this Bills team has a monster D.  I think it has potential to be a long-term top tier D for years to come and playing them in their own environment in the snow is something I wouldn't feel comfortable about.  Possible injuries may ensue ect, that can happen anytime however.  Fully loaded, in the snow I would probably take the Bills D over the Colts O @ Buffalo.  Maybe it's something we will see down the road????? 

It seems like both the teams are in for years of potential success.  I really love watching games in the elements also, it would be something I'd love to see but yet I would be pretty intimated.  I love rainy, snowy games where peoples abilities are hindered by the elements. 

No one can predict who starts/plays the RB position with the passing game potential being what it is. The passing will dictate the game plan and we definitely need the third down back to sustain drives. The more quality we have in the RB positions the more it will throw off  defenses. It's that simple.

Chuck Pagano was left shaking his head about Vick Ballard’s night, that started with promise: “I’m sick about it.” http://t.co/ur40tMFxFE

— Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts)

September 4, 2015

Chuck Pagano was left shaking his head about Vick Ballard’s night, that started with promise: I’m sick about it.http://t.co/ur40tMFxFE

This tells me that he knows he has to cut him.                ^^^

I agree to a certain extent my friend but this Bills team has a monster D.  I think it has potential to be a long-term top tier D for years to come and playing them in their own environment in the snow is something I wouldn't feel comfortable about.  Possible injuries may ensue ect, that can happen anytime however.  Fully loaded, in the snow I would probably take the Bills D over the Colts O @ Buffalo.  Maybe it's something we will see down the road????? 

It seems like both the teams are in for years of potential success.  I really love watching games in the elements also, it would be something I'd love to see but yet I would be pretty intimated.  I love rainy, snowy games where peoples abilities are hindered by the elements.

oh no doubt bills defense is legit....can't believe Ryan left ny and actually improved with his defense. Offenses usually take time to get in rythem etc starting a season so I think if we score 20 I would be impressed.