Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Varga

RockThatBlue

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did this comparison come from .... Mars? .... we are talking current century here. Compare him to Boom, Robinson, Ballard or Tipton. Personally I don't like any of them but you keep what is "familiar".

I am on record stating that I believe Tyler Varga is the best overall #2 back that we have on this roster at this time. I base this not on his school, skin color, nationality or mother's maiden name. He is pound for pound the strongest guy on this team, big (and not fat big), athletic, agile, elusively fast (has the longest runs from scrimmage in his limited touches this pre season) , tough as nails, hardest worker and probably the smartest guy on this team. He can be affective running inside or outside and catches anything thrown near him (deflated or not) and does something after the catch, plays specials well, can return kicks and he is the best blocker in the backfield. From a physical and athletic perspective we just don't have another back like him at this time. Certainly a great deal for the money! The big thing Frank has on him is experience. That is why Frank is #1. Otherwise Frank does not have some of the tools that Varga has and he is obviously 10 years older. I have made a comparison chart of all the backs and I am sorry to tell you that, objectively, .... no cheerleading .... Varga has the best overall rating. 

I donʻt think shafty was dissin Varga, just comparing him to the last...best RB we had which is Edge but no disrespect to Addai...but also agree with you on Varga he could be "that something special" the Colts have been looking for...talented and smart #LUCKY

I've never thought that or said that. Talk about spin. Considering the Colts sign multiple guys from small schools every year and even drafted one guy out of a D3 school and another from an unknown school in Florida this year, I think they're aware of that as well. So is the whole damn NFL. It just so happens the majority of players come from the SEC, ACC, and Pac 12 because, drum roll, they're the most talented conferences in college.

Here's the comment I told you to read, read carefully:

Ok, here goes your NFL brain trust theory. 

Varga is a Canadian kid that came from the IVY League, Yale to be specific (that is in New Haven CT for those that are limited in their geographical knowledge). He had a prolific college career playing the position of RB/TB, highlighted by numerous statistical achievements and capped by a 5TD performance vs Army at the Yale Bowl (only the second player in the schools long history to do this). Never once in his career did he line up at or play a down in the position of FB. (he does however happen to be of the white skin color). After receiving numerous accolades his senior year including such as Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year, New England Player of The Year, FCS All American and FCS per game scoring average leader, National Football Scolar Awards Finalist and various other awards as listed on his Yale Bio. He was only the second player in Yale history (last one in 1951) to get invited to the vaunted Sr. Bowl (the annual showcase game of the top 100 or so college seniors). However, guess what, he gets invited as a FB. A 225 FB and a position that he has never played before. How is this possible with all the "professional" gurus and evaluators out there. Surely they could see that he has never played the position and that he was way undersized to do so effectively according to traditional FB stereotyping? What could possibly make them think this way? He goes on and plays in the game (which I have watched a number of times) and performs as the best FB when placed in that role. In addition he gets 4 carries at the TB position and low and behold scores twice on two exceptional runs that were the two best runs of the game. One where he runs over our very own Amarlo Herrera unblocked in the hole. By my accounts and all others I have talked to he was the game MVP (award was tokenly given to Ameer Abdullah who is currently with the Lions). Anyway, he clearly proved the IVY League critics wrong in being the best player at the top college showcase game. The remaining story and metrics from the combine and pro day are available for your review if you want. If you look at them you will find that from an athletic perspective he has way better overall measurables than our other backs. He goes undrafted????? Why???? Josh Robinson does not have near the athletic measurables and received no Sr. Bowl invite at any position? To this day he has not shown me in any way that he is a better athlete than Varga. Yet, we draft him in the 6th round. Based on what? The fact that he came from the SEC ... the NFL developmental league. If that was the only criteria required to evaluate, every single RB that comes out of Alabama should be top 5 in the NFL (we all know how that works out).

From day one in OTA the battle for undrafted players is all uphill. (no reps in practice, no reps with experienced players, no reps in games, no reps with practiced or experienced players in games ... treated like an unwanted child). How is one to go out on the field with unpracticed players and produce results, especially at the RB position. Last night was an example of the most pathetic run blocking that any RB will ever experience in their college or professional career! The chance of making a 53 under these circumstances is slim to none. Well you have just seen Varga take slim and flip it on it's head in pre-season. He has clearly outplayed, out-hussled, out-toughed and out-highlighted our other backs (be it limited in number and duration working with limited resources). This has proven the "status quo" to be all wrong. The "status quo" being not only the NFL and NFL GMs, but also  the unknowing media and fans. Yet they persist!!!!! You have to look no further than last weeks headline from the NFL press release "Colt FB Tyler Varga, scores on 1 Yard TD Run". I am sorry, but did I miss something? Was he lined up as a full back on that play? Why has the all knowing media not fixed this mistake? How about the latest version of "Madden" ? Guess what, he is a FB there too (be it one with a 85 speed rating). Has anyone seen him play FB since he arrived here? Does he do this secretly or something?

Moral of the story.  You can be naive and believe every story that the media and spin sisters (including Jimmy, Grigs and Pags) put out there or you can do a little bit of homework and ask a few logical questions your self. You might be surprised how your perspective of things might change. NFL GMs and Coaches are not nearly as smart as you give them credit for. In most cases they are not smart at all. They just follow the crowd like everyone else. If it looks like a FB, smells like a FB and is the color of a FB .... must be a FB? So don't be surprised one bit if Varga does not make the cut on Saturday. He is clearly worthy of being the #2 back here. But unfortunately the cut/keep decision was already made about 4 months ago based on criteria that you will probably never understand or acknowledge..  

Varga is a Canadian kid that came from the IVY League, Yale to be specific (that is in New Haven CT for those that are limited in their geographical knowledge). He had a prolific college career playing the position of RB/TB, highlighted by numerous statistical achievements and capped by a 5TD performance vs Army at the Yale Bowl (only the second player in the schools long history to do this). Never once in his career did he line up at or play a down in the position of FB. (he does however happen to be of the white skin color). After receiving numerous accolades his senior year including such as Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year, New England Player of The Year, FCS All American and FCS per game scoring average leader, National Football Scolar Awards Finalist and various other awards as listed on his Yale Bio. He was only the second player in Yale history (last one in 1951) to get invited to the vaunted Sr. Bowl (the annual showcase game of the top 100 or so college seniors). However, guess what, he gets invited as a FB. A 225 FB and a position that he has never played before. How is this possible with all the "professional" gurus and evaluators out there. Surely they could see that he has never played the position and that he was way undersized to do so effectively according to traditional FB stereotyping? What could possibly make them think this way? He goes on and plays in the game (which I have watched a number of times) and performs as the best FB when placed in that role. In addition he gets 4 carries at the TB position and low and behold scores twice on two exceptional runs that were the two best runs of the game. One where he runs over our very own Amarlo Herrera unblocked in the hole. By my accounts and all others I have talked to he was the game MVP (award was tokenly given to Ameer Abdullah who is currently with the Lions). Anyway, he clearly proved the IVY League critics wrong in being the best player at the top college showcase game. The remaining story and metrics from the combine and pro day are available for your review if you want. If you look at them you will find that from an athletic perspective he has way better overall measurables than our other backs. He goes undrafted????? Why???? Josh Robinson does not have near the athletic measurables and received no Sr. Bowl invite at any position? To this day he has not shown me in any way that he is a better athlete than Varga. Yet, we draft him in the 6th round. Based on what? The fact that he came from the SEC ... the NFL developmental league. If that was the only criteria required to evaluate, every single RB that comes out of Alabama should be top 5 in the NFL (we all know how that works out).

From day one in OTA the battle for undrafted players is all uphill. (no reps in practice, no reps with experienced players, no reps in games, no reps with practiced or experienced players in games ... treated like an unwanted child). How is one to go out on the field with unpracticed players and produce results, especially at the RB position. Last night was an example of the most pathetic run blocking that any RB will ever experience in their college or professional career! The chance of making a 53 under these circumstances is slim to none. Well you have just seen Varga take slim and flip it on it's head in pre-season. He has clearly outplayed, out-hussled, out-toughed and out-highlighted our other backs (be it limited in number and duration working with limited resources). This has proven the "status quo" to be all wrong. The "status quo" being not only the NFL and NFL GMs, but also  the unknowing media and fans. Yet they persist!!!!! You have to look no further than last weeks headline from the NFL press release "Colt FB Tyler Varga, scores on 1 Yard TD Run". I am sorry, but did I miss something? Was he lined up as a full back on that play? Why has the all knowing media not fixed this mistake? How about the latest version of "Madden" ? Guess what, he is a FB there too (be it one with a 85 speed rating). Has anyone seen him play FB since he arrived here? Does he do this secretly or something?

Moral of the story.  You can be naive and believe every story that the media and spin sisters (including Jimmy, Grigs and Pags) put out there or you can do a little bit of homework and ask a few logical questions your self. You might be surprised how your perspective of things might change. NFL GMs and Coaches are not nearly as smart as you give them credit for. In most cases they are not smart at all. They just follow the crowd like everyone else. If it looks like a FB, smells like a FB and is the color of a FB .... must be a FB? So don't be surprised one bit if Varga does not make the cut on Saturday. He is clearly worthy of being the #2 back here. But unfortunately the cut/keep decision was already made about 4 months ago based on criteria that you will probably never understand or acknowledge..  

Who cares? It's not exactly revolutionary for a college RB who is seen as not athletic enough to play RB in the NFL to get a shot at FB. You said yourself he was the best fullback in the game and he's a great blocker.

The important thing, which you ignore as usual, is the Colts believe he's a RB. How many snaps has he taken at FB with the Colts?

I would have liked to see Varga play with the starters at some point during the preseason but he didn't and what's done is done. At this point I hope he makes the cut and gets a chance to show what he can do during the regular season.

I think an arguement could be made that he could be higher on the depth chart than Robinson, but Robinson also looked pretty good at times.

As far as being the #2 over Boom? I don't think so, not yet anyway. Fumbles aside, Boom was a pretty good running back last year and has at least proved that he could average over 4 yds/ carry behind what some on this forum call the worst o-line in the history of football. And as far as calling Boom a scat back type, from what I remember he was decisive and hit the hole pretty fast and hard. Isn't that what you want in a power running scheme?

Varga will have his chance, hopefully he takes advantage of it.

I will say this, if he is stashed on the practice squad, he will be picked up by another team with a quickness. And as said before, that other team will probably be the Patriots.

I would have liked to see Varga play with the starters at some point during the preseason but he didn't and what's done is done. At this point I hope he makes the cut and gets a chance to show what he can do during the regular season.

I think an arguement could be made that he could be higher on the depth chart than Robinson, but Robinson also looked pretty good at times.

As far as being the #2 over Boom? I don't think so, not yet anyway. Fumbles aside, Boom was a pretty good running back last year and has at least proved that he could average over 4 yds/ carry behind what some on this forum call the worst o-line in the history of football. And as far as calling Boom a scat back type, from what I remember he was decisive and hit the hole pretty fast and hard. Isn't that what you want in a power running scheme?

Varga will have his chance, hopefully he takes advantage of it.

I will say this, if he is stashed on the practice squad, he will be picked up by another team with a quickness. And as said before, that other team will probably be the Patriots.

You could be right depending on how you look at things. I just don't see Boom's strong points outshining Varga's by much if any. (speed/quickness) But his weaknesses are far greater than Varga's (size/strength/toughness/ability to block and run inside). As far as Robinson ... I see him as a one dimensional/style back. He can only do/take what is given. (hides behind bigger line and "bowls" forward for the available space and he misses blocking assignments all the time).  Varga creates something out of nothing all the time ... both run and pass game .... and the QB is safe with him back there.

Hopefully we will see them on equal footing so the evaluation can be apples to apples.

Hey I ain't going to lie I like that Zach Zenner though.  Now he's a beast to me, I think he'll end up overtaking Joique Bell. He'll end up splitting carries every game with A. Abdullah at some point this season.

Correct. Zenner is a good back. I honestly don't think he is as good as Varga but both deserve NFL roster spots and playing time.

Correct. Zenner is a good back. I honestly don't think he is as good as Varga but both deserve NFL roster spots and playing time.

Every time you say something I agree with you immediately turn around and say something that puzzles me.  Varga ain't on Zenners level.  What Varga will get this year is a lot of special teams and maybe just maybe some goal line at times.  Might not get that as long as Robinson is healthy.  Zenner has done damage in every game and his talent is clear with his performance.  His performance demanded more carries.   I didn't see anything in Vargas performance where it demanded that whole halfs or an entire quarter needed to be devoted to him running the football like Zenner.  Both ran against scrubs, but Zenner was clearly better than Varga against those scrubs.  Actually I want to say that Zenner even got a couple carries against the ones too.  I could be wrong.

Zenner lead the entire NFL in rushing this preseason.  Vargas numbers aren't anywhere near that.

Why? Because his play didn't force people to give him more carries like Zenner.  I do not think Varga is a scrub, I do think he's worthy of a roster spot but sorry he's not Zach Zenner.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/04/lions-zach-zenner-is-the-preseasons-leading-rusher/

As far as Robinson ... I see him as a one dimensional/style back. He can only do/take what is given. (hides behind bigger line and "bowls" forward for the available space and he misses blocking assignments all the time). 

I highly disagree with the bolded.

I don't know, its brought up every single time somebody makes a thread about Varga. I don't care what race he is, he could be green for all I care if he can play he can play. The race issue is so beyond stupid.

Oooo...yeah. I can put up with a lot of things, but a green running back on the the Colts is not one of them. No way!

Sorry!  Again Zenner forced his way into more carries with production. It's not that the Lions just wanted to give him a lot of carries.  His play dictated that it be as such.   Varga produced some, but not like Zenner.

And of course we know the typical Colt 45 response is "conspiracy".  Pagano and Grigs conspired

against Varga so that he wouldn't get that many carries.   If Zenner was on this roster he would have

gotten more carries than Varga has gotten as well. Zenner is just the better talent.

Are you related to Charlie in any way? Why didn't you draft Zenner and please don't tell me it's because Robinson is better? There is no conspiracy, just stereotyping that seems to be the acceptable standard. I just question someones competence and or motives when they overlook obvious talent.

Where did this comparison come from .... Mars? .... we are talking current century here. Compare him to Boom, Robinson, Ballard or Tipton. Personally I don't like any of them but you keep what is "familiar".

I am on record stating that I believe Tyler Varga is the best overall #2 back that we have on this roster at this time. I base this not on his school, skin color, nationality or mother's maiden name. He is pound for pound the strongest guy on this team, big (and not fat big), athletic, agile, elusively fast (has the longest runs from scrimmage in his limited touches this pre season) , tough as nails, hardest worker and probably the smartest guy on this team. He can be affective running inside or outside and catches anything thrown near him (deflated or not) and does something after the catch, plays specials well, can return kicks and he is the best blocker in the backfield. From a physical and athletic perspective we just don't have another back like him at this time. Certainly a great deal for the money! The big thing Frank has on him is experience. That is why Frank is #1. Otherwise Frank does not have some of the tools that Varga has and he is obviously 10 years older. I have made a comparison chart of all the backs and I am sorry to tell you that, objectively, .... no cheerleading .... Varga has the best overall rating.

this is a joke right

You could be right depending on how you look at things. I just don't see Boom's strong points outshining Varga's by much if any. (speed/quickness) But his weaknesses are far greater than Varga's (size/strength/toughness/ability to block and run inside). As far as Robinson ... I see him as a one dimensional/style back. He can only do/take what is given. (hides behind bigger line and "bowls" forward for the available space and he misses blocking assignments all the time). Varga creates something out of nothing all the time ... both run and pass game .... and the QB is safe with him back there.

Hopefully we will see them on equal footing so the evaluation can be apples to apples.

how on earth

Did you make this evaluation? Varga is easily the 5th best back on this roster. No higher.

This thread really makes me question the sanity of this board. Or at least the reasons behind some of the posts about varga.

I don't know, its brought up every single time somebody makes a thread about Varga. I don't care what race he is, he could be green for all I care if he can play he can play. The race issue is so beyond stupid.

i disagree

I think it plays a huge role here

Talk is cheap! That is all media posturing. If Ballard does something it would be easy to continue the story and say " Oh well Vick looks to be back so we don't need another back ... it was a hard decision but Varga we wish you luck". This may very well still be the case? I am telling you, I can feel the bad KARMA coming from the lies and deceit.     

BWAHAHAHAA!!!!

because I expect full & complete transparency in every facet of life...

Varga has got game, bottom line.  This guy runs hard, smart, and fast.  This is the type of guy New England would get and he would rush for 200+ on the Colts.  I hope he makes this team.  I see him as an undrafted free agent that has future star written all over him.

i disagree

I think it plays a huge role here

After that beat down in New England in AFC championship game.  I don't care what color the final 53 is.  All I care is can they beat New England this year.  I am so tried watch the Colts get beat by those jokers up north.  

Here's my theory. ..... If we don't keep this kid he's going to go to New England and kill us. .. I for one can't stand the thought of that

Every time the colts cut a player low on the 53 someone says this. I'm still waiting for it to happen.

how on earth

Did you make this evaluation? Varga is easily the 5th best back on this roster. No higher.

This thread really makes me question the sanity of this board. Or at least the reasons behind some of the posts about varga.

Based upon what I've seen in preseason, I would rate Robinson and Varga as about equal, slight advantage to Robinson since I think he can scoot sideways a bit better and has a bit more power. I think they both have a relatively slow straight 40 yard speed. I think they both make the first tackler miss with great frequency.

If I would rate Boom higher or lower than those two would depend upon how much I value a guy with quick straight ahead speed and the ability to get downfield quickly on a passing route. Not really much else to his game...except some fumble history, which we don't really know about the rooks.

Not sure if you saw my post in the updates thread but Robinson has cleared concussion protocol. And I think he's proven he can play in this league

Sorry, I did miss your note.  Last I had heard it wasn't resolved and I do agree he's ready.. may be our long term back after Gore. 

From day one in OTA the battle for undrafted players is all uphill. (no reps in practice, no reps with experienced players, no reps in games, no reps with practiced or experienced players in games ... treated like an unwanted child). How is one to go out on the field with unpracticed players and produce results, especially at the RB position. Last night was an example of the most pathetic run blocking that any RB will ever experience in their college or professional career! The chance of making a 53 under these circumstances is slim to none. Well you have just seen Varga take slim and flip it on it's head in pre-season. He has clearly outplayed, out-hussled, out-toughed and out-highlighted our other backs (be it limited in number and duration working with limited resources). This has proven the "status quo" to be all wrong. The "status quo" being not only the NFL and NFL GMs, but also the unknowing media and fans. Yet they persist!!!!! You have to look no further than last weeks headline from the NFL press release "Colt FB Tyler Varga, scores on 1 Yard TD Run". I am sorry, but did I miss something? Was he lined up as a full back on that play? Why has the all knowing media not fixed this mistake? How about the latest version of "Madden" ? Guess what, he is a FB there too (be it one with a 85 speed rating). Has anyone seen him play FB since he arrived here? Does he do this secretly or something?

Moral of the story. You can be naive and believe every story that the media and spin sisters (including Jimmy, Grigs and Pags) put out there or you can do a little bit of homework and ask a few logical questions your self. You might be surprised how your perspective of things might change. NFL GMs and Coaches are not nearly as smart as you give them credit for. In most cases they are not smart at all. They just follow the crowd like everyone else. If it looks like a FB, smells like a FB and is the color of a FB .... must be a FB? So don't be surprised one bit if Varga does not make the cut on Saturday. He is clearly worthy of being the #2 back here. But unfortunately the cut/keep decision was already made about 4 months ago based on criteria that you will probably never understand or acknowledge..

My eyes hurt from the large paragraphs...

Every time you say something I agree with you immediately turn around and say something that puzzles me. Varga ain't on Zenners level. What Varga will get this year is a lot of special teams and maybe just maybe some goal line at times. Might not get that as long as Robinson is healthy. Zenner has done damage in every game and his talent is clear with his performance. His performance demanded more carries. I didn't see anything in Vargas performance where it demanded that whole halfs or an entire quarter needed to be devoted to him running the football like Zenner. Both ran against scrubs, but Zenner was clearly better than Varga against those scrubs. Actually I want to say that Zenner even got a couple carries against the ones too. I could be wrong.

Zenner lead the entire NFL in rushing this preseason. Vargas numbers aren't anywhere near that.

Why? Because his play didn't force people to give him more carries like Zenner. I do not think Varga is a scrub, I do think he's worthy of a roster spot but sorry he's not Zach Zenner.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/04/lions-zach-zenner-is-the-preseasons-leading-rusher/

I'm not trying to throw fuel on the flames, but you're comparing a 4th string a vs a 4th string b. He ain't that good.

Varga reminds me a lot of Wes Welker, Ricky Proehl, Brandon Stokley, and Steve Largent. Oh wait, he's. RB. Varga reminds me of Keith Elias and Kevin McDougal. (thank you Bott for recognizing the absolute media requirement that a white player must only be compared to another whitey!). All in good humor, y'all. Relax.

Varga has got game, bottom line. This guy runs hard, smart, and fast. This is the type of guy New England would get and he would rush for 200+ on the Colts. I hope he makes this team. I see him as an undrafted free agent that has future star written all over him.

no he doesn't. That's absurd. He has bottom of the roster written all over him. He has out of the league in 2 years written all over him

Varga reminds me a lot of Wes Welker, Ricky Proehl, Brandon Stokley, and Steve Largent. Oh wait, he's. RB. Varga reminds me of Keith Elias and Kevin McDougal. (thank you Bott for recognizing the absolute media requirement that a white player must only be compared to another whitey!). All in good humor, y'all. Relax.

Keeping my skin tones properly aligned, I think he reminds me of Rex Burkhead. Burkhead is a bit slow footed to be real successful in the NFL, but Varga looks quicker and just as tough to tackle.