Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Female Ref To Debut Tonight

-JJ-

In tonight's Patriot preseason game.

Coming attractions

First female NFL football player.

"FOOTBALL JANE"

Coming to a theatre near you soon.

Is there a Tarzan nearby too JJ inquiring minds want to know? All kidding aside, it's cool to see more female referees in stripes on the sidelines now. 

SW1 is humming Sammy Hagar's song "Plain Jane" in my head right now. Care to listen? Here you go...

Who cares? It shouldn't be a big deal. It should just be another ref going out there and getting booed. That I mean is how it should be. No matter gender you should do what you are good at

Pretty much.

It's a ref to me.

Treat them all the same male or female IMO.

The one who officiated the Ravens & Eagles preseason game was beautiful. She can definitely be Mrs. Knight :thmup:

haha I liked your line there TK. I've got no problem admiring the NFL landscape either. I always wanted to see a couple with similar last names get married like the Knight Night wedding. 

I am sure that is absolutely her goal at times here.

Attracting male NFL fans........

Sigh.

In TK's defense, let's not pretend that female fans don't checkout male zebras or players either shall we. It's like a museum. Look but don't touch. It's perfectly fine to say a female referee is attractive & not come across as sexist Jules. 

I get what your driving at, respect the zebra for their professionalism not their gender alone, but if I was a referee & heard a female fan call me cute, I'd get a kick out of it. 

Let's not twist an innocent remark into a gender equality/women's liberation issue. JMO. 

In TK's defense, let's not pretend that female fans don't checkout male zebras or players either shall we. It's like a museum. Look but don't touch. It's perfectly fine to say a female referee is attractive & not come across as sexist Jules. 

I did not say he was sexist or meant he was.

I was also trying to imply I never notice the looks of the refs....for either gender. I guess it caught me off guard......

Most of the refs look like people we often hate on too since they often screw up calls. 

Not a big deal here......

As a woman though, big jocks or any jocks are not really my type either. I usually like less steroid induced looking men. I don't get too worked up with the NFL players looks. Most are not my type. Maybe I am rare though.

I get what your driving at, respect the zebra for their professionalism not their gender alone, but if I was a referee & heard a female fan call me cute, I'd get a kick out of it. 

Thats sort of how I look at it all. I look at them as workers.

Okay I will move on now.......

But, no way would I ever personally ref a game as a female. I already know the atmosphere is brutal enough as is. I would expect it to be a difficult thing as a female.......I truly think it would be rough at times with potential issues arising I won't get into here.

I did not say he was sexist or meant it. 

I was also trying to imply I never notice the looks of the refs....for either gender. I guess it caught me off guard......

Most of the refs look like people we often hate on too since they often screw up calls. 

Not a big deal here......

As a woman though, big jocks or any jocks are not really my type either. I usually like less steroid looking men. I don't get too worked up with the NFL players looks. Most are not my type. Maybe I am rare though.

Thats sort of how I look at it all. I look at them as workers.

Okay I will move on now.......

But, no way would I ever personally ref a game as a female. I already know the atmosphere is brutal enough as is.

Fair enough. I did not intend to misinterpret what you said Jules. Go back & re-read your post at #9...It's not a stretch to assume you might have taken offense from a sexist vantage point. You're a good person & I know you just go with the flow not taking things personal. My apologizes. 

We're cool. Ideally, if they do their jobs well, zebras go unnoticed that is true. I get the blend into the surroundings mindset perfectly, but my only point was that I will make a mental note of gee that woman is pretty where ever I see them: At work, at the store, at the car repair shop, or at a football game. The location is really irrelevant to me. 

Thanks for elaborating your point of view on female refs Jules. I appreciate it. I have no qualms about having females referee football games because any zebra regardless of their gender can get stepped on, pushed, & run over by several other NFL players. It comes with the territory & nature of the job description. 

Fair enough. I did not intend to misinterpret what you said Jules. Go back & re-read your post at #9...It's not a stretch to assume you might have taken offense from a sexist vantage point. You're a good person & I know you just go with the flow not taking things personal. My apologizes. 

We're cool. Ideally, if they do their jobs well, zebras go unnoticed that is true. I get the blend into the surroundings mindset perfectly, but my only point was that I will make a mental note of gee that woman is pretty where ever I see them: At work, at the store, at the car repair shop, or at a football game. The location is really irrelevant to me. 

Thanks for elaborating your point of view on female refs Jules. I appreciate it. I have no qualms about having females referee football games because any zebra regardless of their gender can get stepped on, pushed, & run over by several other NFL players. It comes with the territory & nature of the job description. 

No I get it.

Deep down I have often been a Walt Coleman kinda gal myself.

waltcolemanpicture1.jpg

No worries southwest, we're cool.

I'm done for now. 

I had fun though with this for some reason. I think it's just kinda funny too.....don't mind me. 

Who cares? It shouldn't be a big deal. It should just be another ref going out there and getting booed. That I mean is how it should be. No matter gender you should do what you are good at

It's not though given the scarcity of female refs working in the NFL, which is why stories like this 1 are noteworthy. Yes, it will be nice when female zebras are viewed as commonplace as men are in this league with no distinction. But until that happens, Jane's presence is a big deal because there aren't that many female NFL zebras working professional game sidelines. 

I'm very aware of stuff like this due to my own disability & the fact that it's rare to see a disabled person in a high profile position of authority with a natl. spotlight. I'm keenly cognizant of the need to represent positions of authority with all races, genders, & creeds of a given community & global melting pot world. So, this Jane hire is a big bleeping deal in my estimation. It's huge. 

I don't mean to preach here, but if a girl sees a female ref doing her job well & being handsomely compensated for it, she might go you know, I could do that because Jane laid down the foundation before I came along & I better do my job well for the girl who slides into my spot after I retire & step down. We all need to see mentors & people who look like us & inspire us to face our fears & excel at what we once thought might have been a pipe dream. I truly believe that. I'm not joking either. 

There's been one or two female refs in the NBA for a few years now...

Its amazing how fast you get used to it...

Like you say. A female zebra is still a zebra

It's not though given the scarcity of female refs working in the NFL, which is why stories like this 1 are noteworthy. Yes, it will be nice when female zebras are viewed as commonplace as men are in this league with no distinction. But until that happens, Jane's presence is a big deal because there aren't that many female NFL zebras working professional game sidelines. 

I'm very aware of stuff like this due to my own disability & the fact that it's rare to see a disabled person in a high profile position of authority with a natl. spotlight. I'm keenly cognizant of the need to represent positions of authority with all races, genders, & creeds of a given community & global melting pot world. So, this Jane hire is a big bleeping deal in my estimation. It's huge. 

I don't mean to preach here, but if a girl sees a female ref doing her job well & being handsomely compensated for it, she might go you know, I could do that because Jane laid down the foundation before I came along & I better do my job well for the girl who slides into my spot after I retire & step down. We all need to see mentors & people who look like us & inspire us to face our fears & excel at what we once thought might have been a pipe dream. I truly believe that. I'm not joking either. 

I'm saying it as you should not treat them differently cuz of gender. We should boo all refs no matter what