Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck, The Natural

cjwhiskers

Best line from the article IMO: 

"I understand as an athlete, especially as a quarterback, you have this platform where you can be heard by a lot of people. But I don't necessarily want to be heard, unless it's about football."

This is why Luck will be a SB Champion more than once to me. Because unlike RG3, he doesn't look at his profession as a stepping stone to fame, fortune, & a brand name for life after the NFL. Hades, he'd play this game for peanuts because he lives & breathes this sport so darn much. Luck doesn't get caught up in celebrity foolishness. He just wants to improve everyday & earn the respect of his teammates/coaches. 

I revere Andrew & would walk thru fire for this elite QB. He's so humble & well adjusted. Chewy Rocks Man! Below, is an interview Luck did yesterday on the Rich Einsen Show...

http://www.richeisenshow.com/2015/09/01/colts-qb-andrew-luck-discusses-upcoming-season-more-9115/

Whoa Andrew, even your down time relaxation material sounds sophisticated & high brow man. He's reading "The Architect's Apprentice, by the prominent Turkish female novelist Elif Shafak, and Lawrence in Arabia, a bio of T. E. Lawrence)."

Can't you just picture Luck ruining the curve on his world literature class in high school?  haha He'd blow my GPA to smithereens I can tell you that. Oh well such is life I guess. More power to ya Andrew. 

Pretty good quick article about #12. Interesting to read some of his quotes and hear that he actually uses profanity. As i'm sure all of us already know, we got ourselves a star at QB. It may not be this year, but he will win a SB with the Colts. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/andrew-luck-the-natural-20150902

Thanks for the link!     That's a great read!     And that's as long a sit-down interview as Luck has given.   Lots of good interesting quotes.      Great job!       :thmup:

I was going to share this story in about a week or so,  but given this thread is here, I might as well share it now....

This is my favorite Andrew Luck story.    It's the story I tell people when I really want to explain to them what makes him so special.

Since I came here as a long-time Stanford fan over 3 years ago,  this story resonates more with me than any other....

It was 2012....   after the draft,  but before the fall camp.    It's roughly May and Luck has been flying out to attend rookie camp in Indy and then fly back to Stanford for more classes,  and then ultimately to graduate.

So, Luck has finished his last rookie camp,  and he's about to leave the facility and go back to the West Coast.   He's standing around with a bunch of coaches and staff....   and he's handed a big part of the playbook.   Not all of it,  but all the situational football.    More than half the playbook.     He leaves,  and the coaches turn to each other and one says "we won't hear from him for quite a while...   at least several weeks."

Luck is driven to the airport,  he flies to San Francisco, and is driven down to Stanford, a 30 minute drive.   Upon arriving he sends the coaches a 4-word text:

"Got it.   What's next?"

How long could that have been?   6 hours?    And he had a large chunk of the playbook committed to memory!   

Since I arrived I've tried to share that what makes Luck special is the one thing you can't see from just watching him...   it's nothing you can measure.    It's his mind.     It's his mind that separates him from everyone else.    Not just his ability to memorize a lot of material.     But also the way he was raised by his parents.    The young man has his life in order the way the vast majority of young people clearly do not.    And certainly not the vast majority of young athletes.

He's a rare special player.   The most fun athlete I've enjoyed since perhaps the days of Magic, and Bird and Michael.

And he's going to be a Colt for a long, long time!           :thmup:

Best line from the article IMO: 

"I understand as an athlete, especially as a quarterback, you have this platform where you can be heard by a lot of people. But I don't necessarily want to be heard, unless it's about football."

This is why Luck will be a SB Champion more than once to me. Because unlike RG3, he doesn't look at his profession as a stepping stone to fame, fortune, & a brand name for life after the NFL. Hades, he'd play this game for peanuts because he lives & breathes this sport so darn much. Luck doesn't get caught up in celebrity foolishness. He just wants to improve everyday & earn the respect of his teammates/coaches. 

I revere Andrew & would walk thru fire for this elite QB. He's so humble & well adjusted. Chewy Rocks Man! Below, is an interview Luck did yesterday on the Rich Einsen Show...

http://www.richeisenshow.com/2015/09/01/colts-qb-andrew-luck-discusses-upcoming-season-more-9115/

You talk about an * Homer writer or a giant job of sucking up.  Oh ya, we all agree, he sure is humble.

"is determined to cut back on maybe three or four bad throws a year should freak out all of the other teams in the league"