Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bad O-Line Play - Not Just Colts (Article)

esmort

I admit I am one of the first to hammer Grigson over the OL.  I am not going to let him completely off the hook as I think he has made some questionable decisions in this area,  but I think this article highlights some interesting reasons that could at least be contributing to the problem. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25285796/preseason-musings-why-the-quality-of-o-line-play-in-the-nfl-is-getting-worse

I admit I am one of the first to hammer Grigson over the OL.  I am not going to let him completely off the hook as I think he has made some questionable decisions in this area,  but I think this article highlights some interesting reasons that could at least be contributing to the problem. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25285796/preseason-musings-why-the-quality-of-o-line-play-in-the-nfl-is-getting-worse

This guy may have a point, but my question is why do NFLteams not have OL coaches who just handle teaching technique?  They pay QBs and left tackles millions of dollars a year and can't spring a few extra bucks for a technique coach?  Hard to believe that is the case.

This guy may have a point, but my question is why do NFLteams not have OL coaches who just handle teaching technique?  They pay QBs and left tackles millions of dollars a year and can't spring a few extra bucks for a technique coach?  Hard to believe that is the case.

That's what I was thinking as well, but it sounds like hiring just a "technique coach" is not a common practice. I think our OL would definitely benefit from having someone who just worked on technique with them.

That's what I was thinking as well, but it sounds like hiring just a "technique coach" is not a common practice. I think our OL would definitely benefit from having someone who just worked on technique with them.

Well we have Joe Gilbert as our OL Coach. Do you have ANY idea what the other O-Line Coach Hal Hunter is responsible for??? Maybe it is technique!!! And it hasn`t been working very well. lol

As the guy said, they don`t have enough practice TIME to teach/work on technique. These lineman MUST get trained up on their own time, in the Off-Season.

Well we have Joe Gilbert as our OL Coach. Do you have ANY idea what the other O-Line Coach Hal Hunter is responsible for??? Maybe it is technique!!! And it hasn`t been working very well. lol

As the guy said, they don`t have enough practice TIME to teach/work on technique. These lineman MUST get trained up on their own time, in the Off-Season.

If I'm Grigs....that changes...now

I think one thing that will help make the Colts offensive line better this year compared to the past couple of seasons is cohesion time. In years past, the line was shuffling around even in the training camp and preseason. This year the Colts have been able to field the same starting 5 for pretty much the entirety of training camp and preseason. That time the unit has had together is invaluable and hopefully it helps a little bit.

Funny thing is, most teams have bad olines. Colts just get analyzed the most cause of the blowout losses we suffer so everyone looks at Luck being sacked as reasons why we didn't score many points

GB has a bad offensive line, Rodgers is a top 5 most hit/sacked QB's as well. Plenty of teams are in our situation

Funny thing is, most teams have bad olines. Colts just get analyzed the most cause of the blowout losses we suffer so everyone looks at Luck being sacked as reasons why we didn't score many points

GB has a bad offensive line, Rodgers is a top 5 most hit/sacked QB's as well. Plenty of teams are in our situation

Green Bay does not have a bad offensive line.    Rodgers is a top 5 most hit QB because he does the same thing that Luck does....     he moves around within the pocket trying to buy time to find a receiver and he makes his throw and then gets hit.

That's not a line issue.    That's a QB who is willing to put himself in harms way issue. 

See Luck, Andrew.    See Roethlisberger, Ben.      See others.     It happens.     Doesn't automatically mean the line stinks.