Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 53 Man Roster Projection (Via Stephen Holder)

TKnight24

Really hope Herrera makes the roster

And I don't mind keeping only 3 RB's. Bring Varga up when Gore retires or whatever the case may be. Someone gets injured or something

Overall, it's a pretty solid roster.  The O line is not as bad as some think.  I know it was only a preseason game, but one of the best D lines in the NFL didn't touch Luck last Saturday. 

I won't be surprised if they bring in a guy or two from someone else's cuts for the PS.  I expect Varga, Adongo and Swoope (although they didn't seem to even look his way this summer).

I don't see how Good makes anything but the PS the guy isn't ready to play on Sundays. 

I think we keep Quarles and send Jones to the short term IR. I also think we find a way to keep Slyvestre maybe with the opening created by sending Good to the PS. 

I don't think Anderson is a lock for that last S spot either. I could see him getting it but I think it's one of the spots that could change 4-5 times before they are sure. Thursdays game will be important for those players.  Guy has seen a lot of work on ST's and has been doing well on punt coverage. Dewey still has a shot too.  I know Anderson is supposed to be the special teams ace but I haven't seen a lot of plays out of him. That is where those last roster spots are won and lost and where a few games will be decided as well on Special Teams.

Other than that Holder's roster looks about how I would guess it would go.

I could see a couple of big surprises. The first being Werner moved or cut if we can't get something in return. I thought the move to SAM would help. It doesn't seem to so far. I am not at practices maybe it looks better there. He kind of looks uninterested in the game to me watching him this preseason. I had been a Werner supporter in that he would contribute to the team and always be a whipping boy because he was taken in the 1st. I just don't see any passion for the game in the guy this year.

The other is Carter to the PS. I don't think he is the 5th best WR on this team and he doesn't do much on ST's. Being able to contribute on ST's is usually a must when you are that far down the depth chart. I don't see what he has shown this year to cause another team to bring him on to their 53 man. If his name was Jones he would be JAG. IMO

All that being said it would be a surprise if  we left Carter unprotected or cut Werner but I am not sure it wouldn't be the right course to getting the best 53.

I could see a couple of big surprises. The first being Werner moved or cut if we can't get something in return. I thought the move to SAM would help. It doesn't seem to so far. I am not at practices maybe it looks better there. He kind of looks uninterested in the game to me watching him this preseason. I had been a Werner supporter in that he would contribute to the team and always be a whipping boy because he was taken in the 1st. I just don't see any passion for the game in the guy this year.

The other is Carter to the PS. I don't think he is the 5th best WR on this team and he doesn't do much on ST's. Being able to contribute on ST's is usually a must when you are that far down the depth chart. I don't see what he has shown this year to cause another team to bring him on to their 53 man. If his name was Jones he would be JAG. IMO

All that being said it would be a surprise if  we left Carter unprotected or cut Werner but I am not sure it wouldn't be the right course to getting the best 53.

I think your assessment of Werner and Carter is spot on. It wouldn't shock me if neither made the roster. Problem is, who replaces Werner? He's the best option out of slim pickens, IMO.

I defended Werner in the past, but I need to see some improvement. The guy seems to play slow and upright, a bad combo for the NFL.