Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are You Worried About This Team?

BProland85

Me personally, I am a little worried this team may underachieve this year due to their horrendous OL and lack of playmakers in the front seven on defense.

Until Grigson makes a big move to sure up the OL, by trading for an available RT and then moving mewhort back to LG, I see this OL struggling this season.

The NFL is a game of matchups, and week one already has a big matchup nightmare for the colts with Buffalos great DL.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope not worried, The team is a playoff team if everyone stay healthy and once you get in anything goes, I expect we will be able to protect Luck. I think we will run the ball a little better but not much, If we can run better then that means less time our D Linemen have to be on the field if we take of the ball. Long drives given up means D Linemen getting winded, Winded D Linemen means more mistakes being made up front. Linebacker have to be able to come down hill and make big tackle and hit...They have to attack the ball

So what big name Right Tackle do you think is on the trading block for Grigson to go get? Also, how much are you prepared to give up to go get them? Just because the Colts have needs on the o-line doesn't mean other teams are lining up to give them good players and the ones that will won't do it for cheap.

Mewhort looked fine at right tackle against one of the best front sevens in football the other night. It's only pre-season but that's encouraging. He will have growing pains but just like he played well at left guard last year I think he will grow into the right tackle job because he's a good player. I think he's one of the least of our worries on the oline. Castonzo is a rock at left tackle and Holmes looks like he is coming around at center. They are a bit weak at guard. Still, I think this line will be serviceable. No it's not the Cowboys line but it's not the trainwreck of a line that was here when Grigson took over either.

Me personally, I am a little worried this team may underachieve this year due to their horrendous OL and lack of playmakers in the front seven on defense.

Until Grigson makes a big move to sure up the OL, by trading for an available RT and then moving mewhort back to LG, I see this OL struggling this season.

The NFL is a game of matchups, and week one already has a big matchup nightmare for the colts with Buffalos great DL.

Stop what you're doing

I don't think our defensive front 7 is suspect at all.  The DL has some question marks because of Jones' status but guys like Langford, Anderson, and Parry have definitely flashed in the preseason. 

We have a bevy of talented LBs: Irving, Walden, Mathis, Cole, Freeman, Jackson, Newsome.

Every year people think theyʻll go downhill but they surprise everyone....this year they have gotten better....RELAX....theyʻll be 12-4 or 13-3 #GOCOLTS.....p.s. i hope itʻs better

Wouldn't say I'm worried, but if this team does make a leap this year it won't be with defense or a grind-it-out running game. If they make a leap it will be through playing wide open offense, taking the passing game to the next level and blowing opponents out. If Chuck and Pep are determined to grind games out, they will lose games attempting to do so, just as they have in each of the past three seasons. We do not have the O-line or defense to pull it off. I do believe they can have an effective running game with Gore, but they will have to pass first to set up the run, not vice versa.

An odd bit of timing....

Today I went through each conference to figure out the record of all 32 teams.

I have a number of teams with double-digit wins...   10-12.    No one with more than 12.     I don't see a great team in the NFL this year.

But I only have one team with 12 wins.    And that's Indianapolis.    Perhaps it's our 6 divisional games.    But I think we're a better team this year than last.    So, I think 12 is a possibility.    Yes, we could win 11 again, but I don't see the Colts winning 10.

I think it's 11 or 12,  with 12 being somewhat more likely.

So, to answer the question of the OP.....    uhhhh....   NO, I don't worry about the 2015 Colts.

I think our OL will be better this year and our running game will be better as well.

The Jones loss is a worry.     But while that may hurt our defense, I don't think it's the difference between reaching the playoffs and not.

Cole, Mathis and Newsome are some talented playmakers. Our offensive line isn't horrendous neither. It's average/below average, not horrendous.

I'm worried about Newsome this year, he hasn't shown anything in the preseason so far. I know it's preseason, but he has hardly even been near the QB....

Not worried. We looked good stopping the run with and without Art Jones. The pass protection from the Oline has been good and we have Frank Gore who excels at hitting small creases, which could hide some of our shortcomings in the run blocking department.

The defence has looked pretty good as well. Once we get to regular season aggressiveness those missed tackles will hopefully mostly disappear. I'm thinking the defence is just going a little easy so as to not hurt themselves in preseason, something I appreciate.

And also, when was the last time the Colts have looked good in preseason? Last week the first time I can remember us winning in the preseason.

Not worried... I don't think your allowed to worry about whether or not your team is going to win the SB before the season starts.

It's been proven in the past that this is a 11+ win team and a lock to win the division with no O-Line and an inconsistent defense.

We can safely assume that we've gotten better at the skill positions and that our two biggest AFC threats (Denver and NE) have taken a step backward overall.

We have a light schedule.

We might not win it all, but I'm far from worried.

An odd bit of timing....

Today I went through each conference to figure out the record of all 32 teams.

I have a number of teams with double-digit wins... 10-12. No one with more than 12. I don't see a great team in the NFL this year.

But I only have one team with 12 wins. And that's Indianapolis. Perhaps it's our 6 divisional games. But I think we're a better team this year than last. So, I think 12 is a possibility. Yes, we could win 11 again, but I don't see the Colts winning 10.

I think it's 11 or 12, with 12 being somewhat more likely.

So, to answer the question of the OP..... uhhhh.... NO, I don't worry about the 2015 Colts.

I think our OL will be better this year and our running game will be better as well.

The Jones loss is a worry. But while that may hurt our defense, I don't think it's the difference between reaching the playoffs and not.

I agree the O Line will be better. We have Holmes healthy. That was the big worry last yr.

We played the same 5 for 3 straight games. That's encouraging. I hope they all sit Thursday.

Mewhort is going to be fine at RT. I am on of the ones that believed he was drafted to take over for Godser. By the end of the year we will have our bookends.

Louis isn't nearly as bad as the board makes him out to be. Herremans is looking better.

It just preseason.

Am I the only one who doesn't think the OL is terrible?

I watched the first team O line against the Rams three times now.  The pass protection was probably a B+.

When they tried to run the ball (other than when their backs were up against the goal line) was not bad. 

And, like others have pointed out, that Rams D line could be the best in the game.  How many first round picks to they have on that D anyway?

I watched the first team O line against the Rams three times now. The pass protection was probably a B+.

When they tried to run the ball (other than when their backs were up against the goal line) was not bad.

And, like others have pointed out, that Rams D line could be the best in the game. How many first round picks to they have on that D anyway?

At least 3 on that DLine.. Long, Brockers, Donald.. Their other DE has completely slipped my mind.

I'm worried about Newsome this year, he hasn't shown anything in the preseason so far. I know it's preseason, but he has hardly even been near the QB....

Statistically Newsome hasn't shown up sack wise but I've seen him be disruptive and get in position to make a play, he just needs to finish. I think he has a very good year with somewhere in the ballpark of 10 sacks.  

Not worried.  Worrying about anything outside of your control is wasted energy.

To the point of the thread - they have # 12 at QB which eases many concerns and covers up a lot of issues.  They will be playing football in January, maybe even into February.

For anyone who is paying attention to reactionary realities....there is a reason why posting traffic is down around here - it's hard for people to throw stones at the O-line this week and maintain their street cred as posters....so the same discussions that were inflammatory last week are pretty quiet right now.  Our guards lost one on one battles vs. Aaron Donald in a scheme-free game, as can be expected. They were obliterated, actually, but they're just men, not superhuman like Donald.

As for the front 7 on D - if you aren't cautiously optimistic about Langford, Anderson, Cole, Walden, and the potential of Kerr and Parry then you aren't paying attention.  DQ Jax and Freeman are solid known entities as well.  Some guy named Mathis might play ball this season too.

No, I guess I'm not only free from worry, but I think we are making strides in the same areas where you a worried. 

So what big name Right Tackle do you think is on the trading block for Grigson to go get? Also, how much are you prepared to give up to go get them? Just because the Colts have needs on the o-line doesn't mean other teams are lining up to give them good players and the ones that will won't do it for cheap.

Mewhort looked fine at right tackle against one of the best front sevens in football the other night. It's only pre-season but that's encouraging. He will have growing pains but just like he played well at left guard last year I think he will grow into the right tackle job because he's a good player. I think he's one of the least of our worries on the oline. Castonzo is a rock at left tackle and Holmes looks like he is coming around at center. They are a bit weak at guard. Still, I think this line will be serviceable. No it's not the Cowboys line but it's not the trainwreck of a line that was here

when Grigson took over either.

I like Mewhort and he wants to continue to get better and I like that. He looks like Mr. Incrediable and hopefully he becomes Mr. Incrediable on the football field.

the O line wont be so terrible that it prevents us from being a contender.  the seahawks line hasnt been that great either.

the defense needs to stay pretty healthy though, or they may not be able to stop a good offense like we saw against the cowboys, steelers and patriots last year

No the O line is not terrible. What is terrible is this thread.

Yup I don't get the thread either. Our front 7 may be one of the best in the league and our o line has looked solid and Luck was never touched against a very very good rams d-line. Not sure if OP has even been paying attention to these preseason games.