Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kirk Cousins Starting For The Redskins [Merge]

bap1331

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not like Cousins is anything special, he was horrendous last year.

Yet probably still the right move. The cynic in me wonders if Gruden put RG3 out there in preseason hoping he'd get injured. Superman will correct me I'm sure but didn't they just redo his contract which previously was guaranteed for injury.

Via espn.

Can we officially say rg3 is a bust or not yet?

How can he be the rookie of the year who had a great QB rating and he is a bust? His coaches have done him no favors and he has been injured. If he doesn't get the chance with that crazy man Gruden in Washington, he will get one somewhere else. Wouldn't it be interesting to see RGIII in Houston or on the Jets?

How can he be the rookie of the year who had a great QB rating and he is a bust? His coaches have done him no favors and he has been injured. If he doesn't get the chance with that crazy man Gruden in Washington, he will get one somewhere else. Wouldn't it be interesting to see RGIII in Houston or on the Jets?

That was his rookie year. He's been god awful terrible since and that's when he's been healthy. He's a huge bust. He can't stay healthy in preseason games. Someone else might give him a shot as a back up but his days as a starter are probably over.

Yet probably still the right move. The cynic in me wonders if Gruden put RG3 out there in preseason hoping he'd get injured. Superman will correct me I'm sure but didn't they just redo his contract which previously was guaranteed for injury.

Wasn't he playing with second and third team linemen when he suffered the concussion. I'm not sure about that but it seems like I read it somewhere.

I'm pretty sure there's more to this story than what meets the eye. They prefer both Cousins and Cole over him, that probably means they just simply flat out don't like the guy. He has potential in my opinion and I don't think he sucks. I think that whole staff gave up on him after his 1st year. He would probably perform well somewhere else like Buffalo or Houston, maybe even Arizona.

I'm pretty sure there's more to this story than what meets the eye. They prefer both Cousins and Cole over him, that probably means they just simply flat out don't like the guy. He has potential in my opinion and I don't think he sucks. I think that whole staff gave up on him after his 1st year. He would probably perform well somewhere else like Buffalo or Houston, maybe even Arizona.

I gotta disagree.  Only place I could see him doing any good is Philly under Chip Kelly.  If he could survive.  I don't think the staff gave up on him at all, the dude is fragile, he has a injury list as long or longer than any list of games his actually played.  And in those games, other than the first 2/3rds of his rookie year,hes been well, unimpressive.

Hi boys and girls, long time no talk. :thmup:

Via espn.

Absolutely you can label him a bust.  It's no coincidence that Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden, and now supposedly Scot McCloughan have all tried to create some distance from Griffin as a starter.  The Shanahans in particular were by FAR his best opportunity to learn and mold himself in to a true NFL passer and he yet was resistant to adapting his game and ultimately instrumental in them getting the boot.  The behind the scenes nonsense with Griffin turned out to be way more ridiculous than I ever imagined possible... but such is life with the Redskins.

RG has (had? he still looks slower than he once was) all the physical potential in the world.  He hasn't made an ounce of progress where it really counts, though, which is running an offense and making good decisions with the ball in his hands.  His instincts are just all wrong, he'd have been fine if EITHER his passing or running instincts were better.  Not only are those instincts not great on their own but they actively work AGAINST each other much of the time.

I gotta disagree.  Only place I could see him doing any good is Philly under Chip Kelly.  If he could survive.  I don't think the staff gave up on him at all, the dude is fragile, he has a injury list as long or longer than any list of games his actually played.  And in those games, other than the first 2/3rds of his rookie year,hes been well, unimpressive.

I was looking at teams that possibly need a QB right now. I could see him doing well in Philly. He does still have potential, though...

I was looking at teams that possibly need a QB right now. I could see him doing well in Philly. He does still have potential, though...

I'd like to know what you define as potential....

He's not a cerebral qb, he relied on his legs and those have been destroyed. He's had other injuries as well. He potential is all but gone.

Yeah and my Golden Doodle has the potential to sleep on the floor instead of on my bed. It isn't going to happen.

Rookie of the year doesn't mean he was great. Rick Miter was rookie of the year as well. How did that turn out

Via espn.

That would be "hating " I guess. But just between you and I , go ahead and chalk him up as maybe the biggest bust in NFL history. Not only is yea disaster on the field but if you pay attention to the leaks from the organization , he also is a locker room cancer. Coaches hate him and also talk the some of his team mates don't care for him. 

Rookie of the year doesn't mean he was great. Rick Miter was rookie of the year as well. How did that turn out

Some people just don't get that he ran an offense that fit his skills. One quick read ... throw or pull down and run. Not only couldn't his body sustain the punishment but NFL defenses learned how to defend it. BTW....part of that "defense " was to scheme for more big hits on the QB

I think the league (D-coordinators) went to work on him and took away his tendencies.....

At the same time he got hurt and lost confidence...

...His experience just makes me appreciate the long term greats (Brees, Manning, Brady) more.

Even guys like Rivers and Big Ben.....

Defensive gurus go to work on them and they still come back the next year and get it done.

I actually feel bad for RG3...He was hyped so much and apparently had never failed before....

I don't know if he can handle it..

When you give up the farm to get the guy and then he can't even win a starting job, i think it's fair to say that person is a bust. 

All that happened was the league adjusted to his style of play and when forced to be an actual QB he just isn't very good. He's also injury prone and has an ego far greater then his talent.  Most of us said this would happen even in his rookie year when all his skins fanboys were over here telling us how much better then Luck he was. LOL. 

Yep, With the Redskins anyway. With that said nobody is going to be consistent with that mess of an O Line unless they have Peyton Mannings release timing and Russell Wilsons ability to scramble. However he did miss some check-downs on multiple instances and should have chosen his words a bit more carefully to the media time or two (Though there was nothing he really said that was that bad. He just didn't handle it right)

I honestly hope he makes it as a starter somewhere because he is a very talented player, But he has to get his head right and develop as a QB

But like its mentioned above, He just is not built to take hits, To boney and lanky, Needs some meat on those bones

Yep, With the Redskins anyway. With that said nobody is going to be consistent with that mess of an O Line unless they have Peyton Mannings release timing and Russell Wilsons ability to scramble. However he did miss some check-downs on multiple instances and should have chosen his words a bit more carefully to the media time or two (Though there was nothing he really said that was that bad. He just didn't handle it right)

I honestly hope he makes it as a starter somewhere because he is a very talented player, But he has to get his head right and develop as a QB

But like its mentioned above, He just is not built to take hits, To boney and lanky, Needs some meat on those bones

The offensive line isn't great but it's looked worse with Griffin under center than it has with anyone else.  A large part of the problem there is that he has not developed any sort of pocket feel.  He tries to escape the edge every time he senses pressure (he's unreliable in this regard) even when that's where the pressure is and he has room to step up in the pocket.  Russell Wilson is the best in the game at sensing where he has to move to but it's still a trait that's common among even the more immobile succesful passers.  Not even Big Ben or Cam Newton would do very well putting themselves in a lot of the positions Griffin does.

At this point I don't think he has the mental makeup to make it as a starter in the league anywhere.  He's proven to be too much of a basket case and his base nature seems to be to blame everyone else first and merely pay lip service to his own faults after the fact.

Why is Gruden crazy? RG3 can't succeed in a traditional offense and he will get killed running the ball, so,what do you want him to do?

The offensive line isn't great but it's looked worse with Griffin under center than it has with anyone else.  A large part of the problem there is that he has not developed any sort of pocket feel.  He tries to escape the edge every time he senses pressure (he's unreliable in this regard) even when that's where the pressure is and he has room to step up in the pocket.  Russell Wilson is the best in the game at sensing where he has to move to but it's still a trait that's common among even the more immobile succesful passers.  Not even Big Ben or Cam Newton would do very well putting themselves in a lot of the positions Griffin does.

At this point I don't think he has the mental makeup to make it as a starter in the league anywhere.  He's proven to be too much of a basket case and his base nature seems to be to blame everyone else first and merely pay lip service to his own faults after the fact.

You're IMO pretty much correct. Many call that kind of pocket presence "seeing ghost in the pocket." 

I think you might be confused or maybe I'm misunderstanding you . Anyway.. here's how I see the situation regarding RG3's contract status with Washington.

Washington didn't re-do the contract . They were required by the league to declare before the 2015 NFL draft if the wanted to exercise the 5th year option on RG3. They elected to do so , which in turn kept him under "control" for the 2016 season. If they has declined , he would be a UFA after this seasons end.

Here's how I understand these last two years of his contract.

2015 The last year of his rookie deal. His salary is around 3.2 and his rookie signing bonus of around 13 mill counts around 3.4 mill against this year's cap. His whole rookie deal was guaranteed. Thus the Skins would save nothing by cutting him. 

2016 The formulas used to calculate his 2016 salary produced a # of $16,155,000 for 2016. That's what they pay him if he is on the roster for the first day for the NFL 2016 year. It is guaranteed only for injury . If they think he's a joke at 16 mill per year , all they have to do is cut him. Howver if he sustains a serious injury in the 2015 season and it carries in to the 2016 season , the Redskins are on the hook for the whole 16mill in 2016.

Thus I can't see any reason why Washington would want to see him be injured. Even if they did re-do his contract and take the injury clause out. BTW... I'm all but certain that his 5th year option wasn't re done taking the injury clause out of it.

Bradford is a much better QB than RG3. I think people have forgot that when he was healthy Bradford could play. In 2013 through 7 games he had 14 td's to 4 int's then the injury.

Only 3 rookies started all 16 and passed for over 3,000 yards. Peyton Matty Ice and Bradford

Why would Chip want him? He's a headache. I think Chips just fine with Bradford. He wants someone who protects the ball no exactly RG3's strength

Bradford is a much better QB than RG3. I think people have forgot that when he was healthy Bradford could play. In 2013 through 7 games he had 14 td's to 4 int's then the injury.

Only 3 rookies started all 16 and passed for over 3,000 yards. Peyton Matty Ice and Bradford

Why would Chip want him? He's a headache. I think Chips just fine with Bradford. He wants someone who protects the ball no exactly RG3's strength

Bradford has been spectacularly unlucky with injuries when it comes to his career. It's somewhat unfair to he was the last of the big rookie QB contracts so he had that millstone around his neck too.

No. I think we can officially say the Redskins are a bust though.

The skins pay 3 1's and a two. The guy gets beat out 3 times by Kurt Cousins and once by Colt McCoy in the last 3 years. He destroyed Shanahan . Gruden tried to salvage his career by distancing himself from him. Constant leaks that many of his teammates dislike him. Rather than you and others that don't need naming , admitting you were wrong about him , you would rather blame the organization. That's such a joke.

Yes ... he is a bust. He's in his 4th year and has been replaced as the starter once again by Cousins. That is no doubt a bust. Is his career over ? No but at this point it would be "redemption." For now he is a full fledged bust. Just not an old and "out of the league" one.

The skins pay 3 1's and a two. The guy gets beat out 3 times by Kurt Cousins and once by Colt McCoy in the last 3 years. He destroyed Shanahan . Gruden tried to salvage his career by distancing himself from him. Constant leaks that many of his teammates dislike him. Rather than you and others that don't need naming , admitting you were wrong about him , you would rather blame the organization. That's such a joke.

Yes ... he is a bust. He's in his 4th year and has been replaced as the starter once again by Cousins. That is no doubt a bust. Is his career over ? No but at this point it would be "redemption." For now he is a full fledged bust. Just not an old and "out of the league" one.

The question was whether he was a bust. He is not yet especially if he goes to another team. But there is no question on the Redskins.

And everything you just wrote is a reflection of the dysfunction that is the Redskins. Look what happened to Sanchez once he got away from the pitiful Jets. He was questioned the same way RG has been. Now, under Kelly and an established franchise, the narrative has changed as has he.

The question was whether he was a bust. He is not yet especially if he goes to another team. But there is no question on the Redskins.

And everything you just wrote is a reflection of the dysfunction that is the Redskins. Look what happened to Sanchez once he got away from the pitiful Jets. He was questioned the same way RG has been. Now, under Kelly and an established franchise, the narrative has changed as has he.

Yeah, sanchez is still a backup

Sanchez is indeed a bust. He was a first round pick sitting on the bench

Huh? We have different definitions I think for bust. Bust means you are out of football IMO.

And his career is not over. He could be the starter for the Eagles down the road or another team.

That is priceless. I see quiz put a like on that pile of poop you have above. So you two are saying that he's not a bust until he is released by the Skins and than stinks it up with another team ? That's cute.  I'll stick to the what probably the other 99.9999 % of football fans would think . He's a bust. Now if he goes on to another team and succeeds that would be resurrecting his career. He's just been demoted to 2nd team. That pretty much means they have seen enough of him to determine he is guess what?... a bust. Now if he's not starting because of injury , that is a different story . However , I can't see how it would be released like that if it were the case. 

That is priceless. I see quiz put a like on that pile of poop you have above. So you two are saying that he's not a bust until he is released by the Skins and than stinks it up with another team ? That's cute.  I'll stick to the what probably the other 99.9999 % of football fans would think . He's a bust. Now if he goes on to another team and succeeds that would be resurrecting his career. He's just been demoted to 2nd team. That pretty much means they have seen enough of him to determine he is guess what?... a bust. Now if he's not starting because of injury , that is a different story . However , I can't see how it would be released like that if it were the case. 

He is concussed and not cleared to play.

The best thing that could happen to him would be if the Skins released him.