Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is There A Free Agent At Og Coming....

indyagent17

With the cut of Thomas and the cap savings of 3.25 million could we be seeing a free agent signing, sadly we could have signed Mathis for this money but on to plan B

Who would like the team to sign if they choose to?

At this point, only options out there aren't going to be any better than what we have or they are two old/injured/otherwise washed up.  

Only thing I can't rule out is a trade, anything else isn't gonna be an upgrade

And/or move Harrison to guard and get a good backup for Center. 

Arkin took snaps at Center vs. Rams.  He looks like the 9th lineman today.  Moving Harrison to LG is a move I'd love to try as well, and doesn't preclude him from still being the back up Center. 

There are free agent tackles out there. Jake Long and Anthony Collins. No one at guard jumps out at me.

If healthy I'd have no problem seeing if Jake Long could play LG, I think he has the nasty streak needed for it and is mobile enough. I don't know how he would handle all the different types of blitzes and stunts but I think he is smart enough and technically sound enough it just might work.....Otherwise Lance Louis it is

If healthy I'd have no problem seeing if Jake Long could play LG, I think he has the nasty streak needed for it and is mobile enough. I don't know how he would handle all the different types of blitzes and stunts but I think he is smart enough and technically sound enough it just might work.....Otherwise Lance Louis it is

I'm fine with our guards, personally. They aren't the best, but we have options. Harrison and Reitz will be the primary backups, I believe, and both of them offer the position flexibility that the staff wants. But we only have one real backup at tackle, Reitz. The rest are totally unproven, and IMO, not ready. I guess Herremans could play RT if needed.

Grigs and company will be watching the cuts between Tuesday and Saturday for released Guards. They will consult their scouting logs and determine if they might make our 53 man roster and possibly make a play to get them on board.  OTOH, there just may not be any either.

I just re watched the series where we started about our own 5 yard line.  We ran the ball 3 times, for +1, -3, then -2.5 to put us on our 6 inch line (which led to the Punt to the 47, return to our 44, then the Foles to Givens 44 yard TD)

Aaron Donald blew up (in order) Lance Louis for tackle #1, Anthony Castonzo for tackle #2, and Todd Herremans for tackle #3.  They shifted Donald around and he beat every one of these guys in succession; mano a mano. Sometimes you have to give the other guy credit. He gets paid too (well he will after his rookie contract...)

Grigs and company will be watching the cuts between Tuesday and Saturday for released Guards. They will consult their scouting logs and determine if they might make our 53 man roster and possibly make a play to get them on board.  OTOH, there just may not be any either.

I just re watched the series where we started about our own 5 yard line.  We ran the ball 3 times, for +1, -3, then -2.5 to put us on our 6 inch line (which led to the Punt to the 47, return to our 44, then the Foles to Givens 44 yard TD)

Aaron Donald blew up (in order) Lance Louis for tackle #1, Anthony Castonzo for tackle #2, and Todd Herremans for tackle #3.  They shifted Donald around and he beat every one of these guys in succession; mano a mano. Sometimes you have to give the other guy credit. He gets paid too (well he will after his rookie contract...)

Aaron Donald is one of the best DL in the league. It would be nice to see us win some of those one-on-ones against him, but that's easier said than done. We we play the Dolphins, Bucs and Texans, we'll face similar game wrecking DL. They'll have to scheme something to keep those guys from dominating up front. 

If we could get him for that we should do that a million times out of ten. But I doubt we can.

Well...a wise man always said, everyon has a selling point.  Question is, just how high of a price.  If we got him, we slide him in at RT, Mewhort back to guard.  Herremans at the other guard slot.

This is  crazy thought.  La'el Collins. Would you trade say....Whalen and a 7th for him? 

I sure would. but I highly doubt the Cowboys will take that.  They aren't really desperate for a WR that will probably get cut or they could claim off the waivers.

very true.  i dont see it happening either, but i really wish it would

A man can dream...  but realistically I don't think the cowboys will trade Collins for anything lower than a 4th, he has too much upside although I like where you are coming with seeking out the best OL in the game and plucking someone from them.

Well...a wise man always said, everyon has a selling point.  Question is, just how high of a price.  If we got him, we slide him in at RT, Mewhort back to guard.  Herremans at the other guard slot.

There are pipe dreams and then there is this.  NO WAY Dallas moves Collins.  They got their RT of the future for a crazy cheap price.  What is their incentive to trade him to Indy?

There are pipe dreams and then there is this.  NO WAY Dallas moves Collins.  They got their RT of the future for a crazy cheap price.  What is their incentive to trade him to Indy?

I do believe i said it was a crazy idea........................ and I never said it would actually happen

Aaron Donald blew up (in order) Lance Louis for tackle #1, Anthony Castonzo for tackle #2, and Todd Herremans for tackle #3.  They shifted Donald around and he beat every one of these guys in succession; mano a mano. Sometimes you have to give the other guy credit. He gets paid too (well he will after his rookie contract.

You need to watch it again.

He beat Lance Louis but as you say it still gained postive yards.  Then he blew up Harrison (not AC) and then he blew up Herremans.

This is  crazy thought.  La'el Collins. Would you trade say....Whalen and a 7th for him? 

I agree with the bolded.

Collins was a sure-fire first rounder, until. Now they got him at 10% of the cost, and without using a pick. Why, in the name of everything wonderful, would they trade him for a 7th rounder and a waiver wire WR?

I agree with the bolded.

Collins was a sure-fire first rounder, until. Now they got him at 10% of the cost, and without using a pick. Why, in the name of everything wonderful, would they trade him for a 7th rounder and a waiver wire WR?

haha well it is jerry jones..........

Prolly not honestly. It just makes no sense that we didn't sign Evan Mathis. I mean its just absolutely bewildering when you consider the shape our line has been in. If it were up to me I would have cut Thomas weeks ago, Harrison today and signed Evan Mathis and Brian De La Puente. DLP could have backed up Holmes if Holmes is playing well or started for him if he wasn't. DLP was solid last year with the bears. But as for the FA options. I don't really know who's available off the top of my head. Is Rob Sims out there? But I don't think he was too great last year anyways. I'd agree with Gavin. Sign Jake Long if he healthy and stick him at LG.

I believe that when there was a possibility that Thomas would come back, the Colts were fairly satisfied with what they had at O-line.  Now the possibility of trying to find another lineman is increased.  They just need to see an obvious upgrade with the cuts.

You need to watch it again.

He beat Lance Louis but as you say it still gained postive yards.  Then he blew up Harrison (not AC) and then he blew up Herremans.

Spot on as usual, I just watched the series

Well I saw it in slo-mo HD at home, and here with my laptop I went to see it again here-

http://www.stlouisrams.com/videos/videos/Aaron-Donald-Registers-Three-Consecutive-Tackles/1dd4ccd1-0853-4482-b84c-b21616c6510e

Then I took snaps.

Red arrow is Donald. Yellow Arrow is Castonzo, Green Arrow is Brockers, Pink Arrow is Harrison (Louis gets the clear Arrow as he whiffed on the play)  Here we go-

Donald1_zpsoot9qwto.png

Donald3_zpssyu7o4zg.png

Donald4_zpsuqlcnmqu.png

Donald5_zps4qpzmwya.png

Donald6_zpslejwnpdq.png

I stand by my original statement. Donald beat AC, while Brockers destroyed Harrison on the same play.