Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unsung Hero . . . Erik Walden.

zibby43

Walden kind of gets lost in the shuffle (and I'm certainly guilty of losing track of him as well) but after re-watching the vast majority of his preseason snaps, I came to the conclusion that Walden may be one of the Colts' best OLBs. 

Walden is starting to flash some ability as a pass rusher (not that he hasn't before, but he is starting to look more confident/consistent).  I believe he had 2 sacks against the Rams.  Pretty impressive stuff, considering the limited snaps/minutes.  I hope he continues to impress and remains healthy. 

Anybody else pleasantly surprised with Walden's play? 

With some good fortune, our LB corps could be pretty formidable come mid-season: Mathis, Cole, Walden, Freeman, Jackson, Irving, Herrera, Newsome, etc.

You are wrong, he's overpaid. But seriously, I knew he had it in him, but I love seeing it come out finally. Hope he keeps it going into the regular season, and our pass rush could really be something.

Really he's always been a Solid player. Problem was people only remember him from when he was TORCHED by Kapernick during the 49ers SB year. I remember when we signed him everyone kept saying that and bringing up that game

Look where the 2 are now. One's a solid starter for a playoff/SB contending team, the other is the highest paid RB in the NFL

Funny how things change

Really he's always been a Solid player. Problem was people only remember him from when he was TORCHED by Kapernick during the 49ers SB year. I remember when we signed him everyone kept saying that and bringing up that game

Look where the 2 are now. One's a solid starter for a playoff/SB contending team, the other is the highest paid RB in the NFL

Funny how things change

I didn't mean it to sound as if I thought he had done bad. I've always been an advocate of his, defending the signing from the beginning. I meant it more of his pass rushing this preseason has really just been on another level than what he has shown previously.

Edit: I read that wrong. You were agreeing with me. Whoops.

You are wrong, he's overpaid. But seriously, I knew he had it in him, but I love seeing it come out finally. Hope he keeps it going into the regular season, and our pass rush could really be something.

haha!  But yes, I obviously agree, the pass rush could be quite strong if he keeps playing like he has been.

A better pass rush will make the secondary more formidable, too.

Which reminds me . . . DJ Smith and Geathers looked pretty solid this week.  Same with J. Brown!  Not to mention Lowery.

And D. Butler - an absolute stud at the Nickel. 

Walden might be the most underrated player on the team. He consistently does a pretty good job and his pass rush skills are improving. He wasn't great his first year with us but last year he played very well and it looks like we will get another solid year from him. Funny how many hated the signing but he's probably a top 3-4 player on defense.

Funny how he has turned out to be one of Grigson's best FA signings.

Honestly, outside of the Vontae trade this is the greatest (non-draft) move Grigson has made.  I was a non believer at first but Walden has probably been our 2nd most consistent defender during the Grigson era.  For the price that Toler signing has also been a plus for us.

What changes with a player like that? Wasn't he ranked one of the worst LB`s when Grigs signed him? I remember this forum clobbering the guy for the most part. Now he`s "good"? Kind of like Tim Jennings. Goes to Bears, all of a sudden a 2 time pro bowler but was awful as a Colts player.

Newsome, on the other hand, was picked on in the running game. Every time he was in the line up, they would run right at him and I did not see him shed a single block and he was on his toes being pushed around, IMO. Playing him for too many downs would be a downside to our DL performance, IMO.

What changes with a player like that? Wasn't he ranked one of the worst LB`s when Grigs signed him? I remember this forum clobbering the guy for the most part. Now he`s "good"? Kind of like Tim Jennings. Goes to Bears, all of a sudden a 2 time pro bowler but was awful as a Colts player.

It could be several things.  Maybe the player finally "gets it" maybe the coach designs things to max his talent, maybe the player wants to play harder for the coach or for the team.  Guys come along at different rates.  I remember reading an article about V.Davis and he said one thing Pagano talked to him about was his diet, he explained basically the same thing as we all hear as kids... you are what you eat.  Davis said he became more disciplined about his diet and in a very short time he noticed in paying dividends with his stamina, etc.  So it could be something like that.

Unlike some posters on this forum, I'm not afraid to admit I did not like the Walden signing, I watched the lowlights of him on the Packers and he seemed to have no field awareness, no desire at the point of attack and just seemed to be going through the motions.  But I changed my mind about mid way through 1st season and now he appears to have taken his game to another level.  Kudos to the coaching staff and Walden for that.

Newsome, on the other hand, was picked on in the running game. Every time he was in the line up, they would run right at him and I did not see him shed a single block and he was on his toes being pushed around, IMO. Playing him for too many downs would be a downside to our DL performance, IMO.

Newsome has been a big disappointed this preseason.  He does not seem very quick off the snap and light you said, he has not been good at shedding blocks.