Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Henry Anderson

RockThatBlue

Yes, obviously, the DL can't help how offenses block him...I was coming from more a "this is the way we want it to be" from the defensive side...if that makes sense.

That still seems backwards as to whether the DE or DT would be more likely to be double-teamed.  But I'm also at work so my brain is already going in about a hundred different directions at the moment so, there is that. lol

The 5 tech wont be double teamed most of the time because the TE (Who would double team the 5 tech with the Tackle when the TE does block) is going out to catch a pass most often or into a route. The 3 tech is between the guard and tackle (Off the outside shoulder of the guard.....which means double teamed by the tackle and guard most often)

The 4 tech is lined up over the tackle, 4i is lined up over the inside shoulder of the tackle

Yes, obviously, the DL can't help how offenses block him...I was coming from more a "this is the way we want it to be" from the defensive side...if that makes sense.

That still seems backwards as to whether the DE or DT would be more likely to be double-teamed.  But I'm also at work so my brain is already going in about a hundred different directions at the moment so, there is that. lol

To me, an offense is more likely to double with a center and guard, particularly on a run play. And particularly when the defender is lined up in the gap between center and guard, which our 3 tech does.. Every play is different, so I don't mean to be dogmatic. But I believe the 3 tech gets doubled more often than the 5 tech. And there's not really anything you can do about it, besides lining the 3 tech up directly over the guard, in which case he's not playing a 3 tech anymore.

:) 

So you are saying the 5 Tech which is more like a 4 tech will play the 3 tech while the offense uses the 2 guys hitting tech and he's not big enough to play the 1 Tech and if he messes up it leads to 6?

Got it.

I was told when I joined this website more than 3 years ago that there would be no math!

When it comes to football....    I HATE math!       :giveup:

I was told when I joined this website more than 3 years ago that there would be no math!

Eh football is a numbers game at its most basic core, Throw it where they aint, Run it where they aint, Run it to the weak side of the defense (The side the least amount of defensive players)

It was only preseason, but Henry Anderson did well at whatever the Colts asked him to do Saturday night, playing in multiple spots along the line. I personally think he's better as a 3-tech due to his ability to shoot gaps and penetrate into the backfield. The question is whether he can handle those double teams.

This was nice to see of him against a double team

@MyColtsAccount: Whew. @HenryAnderson91 fights through the RT & TE, and stone-walls the RB behind the line. He's a bad man. #Colts

https://t.co/pQm8Il4ZAO

@MyColtsAccount: Whew. @HenryAnderson91 fights through the RT & TE, and stone-walls the RB behind the line. He's a bad man. #Colts

Best part is that's how he played at Stanford. He looks like his game is translating well to the pros. My only problem with him was/is how often he winds up on the ground. He sacrifices footing when he shoots gaps, and when it doesn't work, he's splayed out on the ground behind the play.

Nice play, but I think he benefitted from the OT just chipping on his way upfield. On that same footage, number 99 (Chap?) handles his man exceptionally well.

Eh football is a numbers game at its most basic core, Throw it where they aint, Run it where they aint, Run it to the weak side of the defense (The side the least amount of defensive players)

I'm sorry, Gavin.....

I forgot to use an emoticon that would basically say....

I'M KIDDING!!!

(My bad...)            :peek:

Yep ..  it's football ..    1 gap 2 gap...  and on and on ..

BOTTOM line can one play football.     And follow their assignments?   If that happens this DL will be OK...     if not our MLB'rs are not good when stressed.      

I'm thinking rolling out a 43 is the way to go.     Unless Mathis comes back STRONG this team has NO 34 OLB?   That is STUD.

Thats an issue..   

Getcha popcorn ready...

Football is about talent.    QB first...  then Winning up front..    I have said this on this board since I have been hear...   until INDY gets TOUGH up front on both lines they wont get to the mountain top..    

Football is very basic actually.   

I hope the Saben rumors are true...    He is a dictator...  That demands tough D and a RUNNING GAME. .....  that is what this team NEEDS..     

Football is about talent. QB first... then Winning up front.. I have said this on this board since I have been hear... until INDY gets TOUGH up front on both lines they wont get to the mountain top..

Football is very basic actually.

I hope the Saben rumors are true... He is a dictator... That demands tough D and a RUNNING GAME. ..... that is what this team NEEDS..

Saban as the Colts coach and Hillary or Trump in the White House all in the same year? Take me now, Lord!

im telling you indy needs this mind set..     Pags and Grigs came in "talking" about it...      and 4 years later?   Luck will run this O.

the Fact this OL has not been addressed is comical.      They let Gos go and ......     whiff after whiff..     

The pressure is on this staff..     Don't kid yourself.   Irsay is in WIN NOW mode.     thus the tension?

Saban as the Colts coach and Hillary or Trump in the White House all in the same year? Take me now, Lord!

im telling you indy needs this mind set.. Pags and Grigs came in "talking" about it... and 4 years later? Luck will run this O.

the Fact this OL has not been addressed is comical. They let Gos go and ...... whiff after whiff..

The pressure is on this staff.. Don't kid yourself. Irsay is in WIN NOW mode. thus the tension?

Nick Saban makes Belichick look like a cuddly kitten. Belichick knows the line, he knows when to get on someone's butt and when to back off, that's why he's the best. Belichick treats his players as men. Saban was a full on dictator *all the time in Miami. He treats his players as property, as kids, not as men. Just read up on his time in Miami.

His crap may work on formidable kids in college but it doesn't work in the NFL where he has to deal with men and not boys.

As the very well respected Zack Thomas yelled at Nick Saban, in practice as Saban got in Thomas' face and threatened to bench him for merely audibling the defense, "I'm a grown butt man!".

Yeah, considering  ole "High Ankle" Jones will probably miss at least that much time.

Let's hope the oaching staff doesn't do what they did with Holmes' high ankle sprain last year.  Sit him out for most of the season, then bring him back at a different position.  Never could figure out why it took so long to get Holmes back at OC last year.

He played RG in more of an emergency role. He's always been a center.

Semantics. I agree, he's always been a center...except for when he played guard.

I think the comment was more about staying with Harrison at center for a while even though KH was healthy enough to see time at G.

Semantics. I agree, he's always been a center...except for when he played guard.

I think the comment was more about staying with Harrison at center for a while even though KH was healthy enough to see time at G.

He said Holmes was, after his injury, brought back to a different position, which isn't true. He's always been a center.

He filled in for an injured player for 37 total snaps at RG. He was hardly brought back to play guard. He was still a center.

The point they were making is that if he was healthy enough to play at the guard position, why wouldnt he have been healthy enough to play at the C position?.... 

He shouldve been slotted in as the starting C again and if anything Harrison should have been slid over to guard to fill in for the injured guard....

The point they were making is that if he was healthy enough to play at the guard position, why wouldnt he have been healthy enough to play at the C position?....

He shouldve been slotted in as the starting C again and if anything Harrison should have been slid over to guard to fill in for the injured guard....

He was healthy enough to play center. They just really liked Harrison at center. They liked Harrison so much they gave him the job while AQ Shipley was playing very well. It took them until the playoffs to realize Harrison wasn't cutting it.

He filled in for an injured player for 37 total snaps at RG. He was hardly brought back to play guard. He was still a center.

Correct. Once they decided they liked JH at C, they designated KH as the backup C as well as a back up G, (instead of JH). So KH was brought back and used in a different way than before he got injured.

Correct. Once they decided they liked JH at C, they designated KH as the backup C as well as a back up G, (instead of JH). So KH was brought back and used in a different way than before he got injured.

My point is they never had guard in mind for Holmes. He was never designated a guard. He could play there if needed but he was always a center.

Maybe Harrison is a worse guard than he is a center. :)

Nice play, but I think he benefitted from the OT just chipping on his way upfield. On that same footage, number 99 (Chap?) handles his man exceptionally well.

I actually saw Chapman make a couple plays out there when I watched the replay this morning.

My point is they never had guard in mind for Holmes. He was never designated a guard. He could play there if needed but he was always a center.

Right.  They had in mind for him to be designated a guard and JH center as often as the circumstances warranted.