Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Henry Anderson

RockThatBlue

I still think he needs to keep adding strength as he still gets pushed around a bit at the point of attack especially when double teamed. Although giving credit he still flashes in the run game when blocked one on one, and he has really impressed me with his penetration in the passing game. I think he is definitely on the right track especially as a rookie. Parry also is flashing very well for a rookie in the situations that I have seen. I am seeing a lot of good from the rookies, a lot more than the last couple years.

The good thing about Parry and Anderson playing together is you have to double team one or the other and both of them are pretty consistent at causing some disruption against one on one blocking.  Whoever you decided to double you can expect the other one to be making his way into the backfield I think.  They are the opposite of Jones and Chapman. With Art Jones and Josh Chapman you can double down on Jones and in many cases you can pretty much expect that Chapman can be single blocked to seal things off.

The good thing about Parry and Anderson playing together is you have to double team one or the other and both of them are pretty consistent at causing some disruption against one on one blocking. Whoever you decided to double you can expect the other one to be making his way into the backfield I think. They are the opposite of Jones and Chapman. With Art Jones and Josh Chapman you can double down on Jones and in many cases you can pretty much expect that Chapman can be single blocked to seal things off.

Sometimes I wonder if Chapmans injury hurt his ability to be a good NT. He was dominant at Alabama and was probably the best NT in college football and he's looked nothing like how he did in college. I thought for sure he'd be at least a good NT and he's been average to below average.

I think Parry is a fine addition and I think he could really turn into something in a year or two but I really don't get the hype about this guy.  Against St Louis when he was in the game the Rams single blocked Parry primarily and slid the double to Langford.  And then if he didn't beat the guy with his first step he got driven back.

he does have an excellent first step and seems to have great field awareness but right now he appears to be more a rotational guy who should come in on passing downs than any type of run defender.

I guess I should add that Anderson is a player.  he's learning the difference between NFL and college but I think he has already proven that the game is not too big for him and if he has to fill a starting role for a few weeks, I don't think that will hurt the Colts.

My concern for Anderson is that he was supposed to be the back-up to Langford at DE,  not for Jones.

And at just 300 pounds, I'm not sure he's a great fit as a rookie stating at DT.

DT and DE are not the same position.    One's a 3-tech, one's a 5-tech and there's plenty different between the two.

I would've preferred that Hughes and Kerr would take over for Jones,  but Pagano was quick to go to Anderson.

I hope he's up for it.    I think it will be quite a challenge.

My concern for Anderson is that he was supposed to be the back-up to Langford at DE,  not for Jones.

And at just 300 pounds, I'm not sure he's a great fit as a rookie stating at DT.

DT and DE are not the same position.    One's a 3-tech, one's a 5-tech and there's plenty different between the two.

I would've preferred that Hughes and Kerr would take over for Jones,  but Pagano was quick to go to Anderson.

Yeah but if you go back to the film at Stanford, Henry Anderson played all over the line.

He wasn't just a 5 tech.  He played over the Nose in some situations, sometimes he played

DE in a 4-3, sometimes he played the 3 Tech.  He's very versatile and strong at the point of attack.  He'll be even better when he stops beating his man and then falling down.  

I'm not so worried although I do think people are downplaying Art Jones a bit too much.  I understand the injuries are frustrating but it is what it is.  I think we are a better team this year if we have access to Anderson and Jones.I don't think it's a get rid of Art Jones type of deal yet.

Several thoughts:

Anderson is already heavier than 300 lbs. He's put on, by his own account, 10-15 lbs of muscle since draft day. He's still a rookie, though, so give him time to refine his game. He looks like a great pickup. But he will also have the same growing pains every rookie has. Same for Parry, another good looking rookie. Give him time and he'll be a winner for this team.

My concern with Chapman is that he is too heavy. He's never shown the same quickness he had in college.But then, he's far heavier than he ever was at 'Bama. Dump some poundage an lets see if he can play quicker. I think it would help his game.

Yeah but if you go back to the film at Stanford, Henry Anderson played all over the line.

He wasn't just a 5 tech.  He played over the Nose in some situations, sometimes he played

DE in a 4-3, sometimes he played the 3 Tech.  He's very versatile and strong at the point of attack.  He'll be even better when he stops beating his man and then falling down.  

I'm not so worried although I do think people are downplaying Art Jones a bit too much.  I understand the injuries are frustrating but it is what it is.  I think we are a better team this year if we have access to Anderson and Jones.I don't think it's a get rid of Art Jones type of deal yet.

Believe me,  if anyone here knows Henry Anderson from Stanford,  it's me.

But there's a huge difference between what a player does in college and what he's going to face in the NFL.     HUGE!!

As you know, NFL players are so much bigger, faster, stronger, smarter than most college players.   It's night and day.

What Henry is going to be facing is going be very hard.   Much harder than is ideal for a rookie.   

I'm as disappointed that Hughes and Kerr can't step in as I am that Henry has to do it.    He's being thrown into the deep end of the pool right at the start.    Not a great way to start your career.

Believe me,  if anyone here knows Henry Anderson from Stanford,  it's me.

But there's a huge difference between what a player does in college and what he's going to face in the NFL.     HUGE!!

As you know, NFL players are so much bigger, faster, stronger, smarter than most college players.   It's night and day.

What Henry is going to be facing is going be very hard.   Much harder than is ideal for a rookie.   

I'm as disappointed that Hughes and Kerr can't step in as I am that Henry has to do it.    He's being thrown into the deep end of the pool right at the start.    Not a great way to start your career.

Yeah but he's not going to play the whole game there.  We do things in rotation so you'll see a little bit of Henry, a little bit of Kerr, a little bit of Hughes.  Honestly I haven't even seen the coaching staff say Henry is going to be the one to replace Jones yet.  Even if they do say that I think he may start there but he'll be rotated in and out.

Yeah but he's not going to play the whole game there.  We do things in rotation so you'll see a little bit of Henry, a little bit of Kerr, a little bit of Hughes.  Honestly I haven't even seen the coaching staff say Henry is going to be the one to replace Jones yet.  Even if they do say that I think he may start there but he'll be rotated in and out.

I hope you're right.   

As for the coaching staff,  after the game, Pagano was interviewed about Jones.....  he basically said Anderson is the next man up.

Well we know typically it is not good that Rookies are getting very many snaps early in year one. That is for sure. But here we are.

I will look at it as a Great Opportunity for Henry, Kerr, and Montori to get the much needed experience they need to get better.

And i laughed at all the Henry HYPE post draft. He fell for some reason and he didn`t weigh enough. Then i watched an interview with him a few weeks back and he was wearing a T.

I guess he had put on about 12-15 lbs since the combine and it looked like it was ALL Muscle in his upper body. ___ yes!

The kid is holding up inside pretty well already, and tracks the ball.

Wishing all of our younguns good health and good luck. It IS going to be a huge challenge. Go Colts!

Just for purpose of clarification...Anderson will be taking over on the weak-side at 3-tech.  Langford will be the strong-side 5-tech DE.  Due to Anderson being on the lighter side, and the tendencies of the coaching staff since they've been here, 3-tech would be the logical place for Anderson as of right now.  Perhaps they envision him being able to play on either side, but he probably needs to bulk up a bit before they try him out on the strong side.

Just for purpose of clarification...Anderson will be taking over on the weak-side at 3-tech.  Langford will be the strong-side 5-tech DE.  Due to Anderson being on the lighter side, and the tendencies of the coaching staff since they've been here, 3-tech would be the logical place for Anderson as of right now.  Perhaps they envision him being able to play on either side, but he probably needs to bulk up a bit before they try him out on the strong side.

A 300 pounds DE makes sense in our 3-4 defense.

A 300 pound DT makes less sense.  (At least, to me)   That's why I'm hoping for Hughes and Kerr to get most of Jone's snaps.

Anderson was listed as the back-up to Langford in the first depth chart.     I don't know where he'll be once Jones is out of commission.

A 300 pound DT makes less sense.  (At least, to me)   That's why I'm hoping for Hughes and Kerr to get most of Jone's snaps.

Anderson was listed as the back-up to Langford in the first depth chart.     I don't know where he'll be once Jones is out of commission.

It was only preseason, but Henry Anderson did well at whatever the Colts asked him to do Saturday night, playing in multiple spots along the line. I personally think he's better as a 3-tech due to his ability to shoot gaps and penetrate into the backfield. The question is whether he can handle those double teams.

It was only preseason, but Henry Anderson did well at whatever the Colts asked him to do Saturday night, playing in multiple spots along the line. I personally think he's better as a 3-tech due to his ability to shoot gaps and penetrate into the backfield. The question is whether he can handle those double teams.

That's my concern too.........

The DE in our defense is more likely to be the one to be asked to take on double teams, not the DT.  The DT is a 3 tech so he's more likely to be asked to get penetration into the backfield rather than take on double teams. 

The DE in our defense is more likely to be the one to be asked to take on double teams, not the DT.  The DT is a 3 tech so he's more likely to be asked to get penetration into the backfield rather than take on double teams. 

He can't help how offenses block him. The 3 tech is more likely to face doubles, since he will be lining up over the guard or in a gap to either side of the guard most of the time. The 5 tech is going to two-gap on the strong side, is actually more of a 4 tech, and usually isn't going to face a double team unless it's a run play and they want to seal his edge. But he's also over there with the Sam, and the TE is going to be mostly responsible for the Sam, not a double team. 

I like the over shift they opened up with against the Rams. Aside from the fact that we collapsed on the backside, which is what led to Jones getting hurt... They put everyone in a gap, and shut off the edge. The Rams had nowhere to go.

He can't help how offenses block him. The 3 tech is more likely to face doubles, since he will be lining up over the guard or in a gap to either side of the guard most of the time. The 5 tech is going to two-gap on the strong side, is actually more of a 4 tech, and usually isn't going to face a double team unless it's a run play and they want to seal his edge. But he's also over there with the Sam, and the TE is going to be mostly responsible for the Sam, not a double team. 

I like the over shift they opened up with against the Rams. Aside from the fact that we collapsed on the backside, which is what led to Jones getting hurt... They put everyone in a gap, and shut off the edge. The Rams had nowhere to go.

Yes, obviously, the DL can't help how offenses block him...I was coming from more a "this is the way we want it to be" from the defensive side...if that makes sense.

That still seems backwards as to whether the DE or DT would be more likely to be double-teamed.  But I'm also at work so my brain is already going in about a hundred different directions at the moment so, there is that. lol

So you are saying the 5 Tech which is more like a 4 tech will play the 3 tech while the offense uses the 2 guys hitting tech and he's not big enough to play the 1 Tech and if he messes up it leads to 6?

Got it.