Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Dress Rehearsal Game Showed The True Colts Colors...

Lawrence Owen

Then the Defensive front 7 overall is in ok shape.  Gave very little against the run, and constant pressure on the QB.

The o-line found it's 'groove' in pass protection.  But let's not have Harrison back in a center, he stunk up the field.  Mewhort showed he can play well all around at RT.  Louis and Herrimans hurt the run game today.

Could not get a good look at Robinson vrs. starting defenses because no-one can do anything trying to dodge 2-3 people in your  face the moment you are handed the football. -But he had a SENSATIONAL pass block in the A.J. TD.-

Carter looks like a rookie by allowing himself to get pushed off routes.

Luck is rusty.  4-5 passes he normally would complete were off target -this will get cleaned up-

Walden verifies his starting role. The guys motor and pass rush was superb.

The defense tackled VERY well.  especially Butler, 2 different plays he upended people.

Special teams looked 'special' for once this preseason.

Communication in the secondary needs improvement.  A few late transitions to receivers ended with giving up easy completions.

All in all, looked like Indy worked on things and shored up important area's.  Repetition will clear away some of the miscues,- like Lucks accuracy, and pass defense.-  But our guards could be trouble for us vrs teams like Miami, Buffallo, Texans, ect.

The final answer from me is that we found out Kendall Langford can stuff the run, Jalil Brown can help this team, and Tyler Varga can make this team 'somewhere.'

Langford was really solid when Art Jones was playing.  He not only penetrated, he also ran over 2 guys to make a couple of huge hits.  When Art Jones hurt his ankle, Langford was not as solid as he switched to the left DT.

Jalil Brown made the terrific interception, reading his own safety as well as the receiver for a nifty INT and run back.

Tyler Varga 'searched for his holes', found them, and flat out ran over them.  His TD run was something special.  In addition, he and Zurlon Tipton were the first players down on Special teams.  How about Varga as our fourth string back/FB/Multi-purpose player?  I think we would love it. We kept Stanley Havilli, so Vargo CAN make this team.  If not, he is the kind of player Bill Belichick will turn into Julian Edelman.  We NEED toughness on this team.  JMO.  

I will be back for more commentary HA HA!!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!

And Werner shows that he is still ineffective. We have a strong LBer group. Could he be cut? He just looks like he's in slow motion to me

It is pretty sad when someone has the opportunity to play, has some skill, but has to have his coach yell in his face (and Anderson) to light a fire under him.

The final answer from me is that we found out Kendall Langford can stuff the run, Jalil Brown can help this team, and Tyler Varga can make this team 'somewhere.'

Langford was really solid when Art Jones was playing.  He not only penetrated, he also ran over 2 guys to make a couple of huge hits.  When Art Jones hurt his ankle, Langford was not as solid as he switched to the left D.

Jalil Brown made the terrific interception, reading his own safety as well as the receiver for a nifty INT and run back.

Tyler Varga 'searched for his holes', found them, and flat out ran over them.  His TD run was something special.  In addition, he and Zurlon Tipton were the first players down on Special teams.  How about Varga as our fourth string back/FB/Multi-purpose player?  I think we would love it. We kept Stanley Havilli, so Vargo CAN make this team.  If not, he is the kind of player Bill Belichick will turn into Julian Edelman.  We NEED toughness on this team.  JMO.  

I will be back for more commentary HA HA!!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!

I agree with the Varga assessment, he could fill the FB role.

I am going to have to re-watch the game but some things that stood out to me...

Our coverage over the middle on crossing routes still stinks.  I don't know if its our LBs or DBs but any time its 3rd and 5 or 6 all the offense has to do is a short crossing route and its good for the first down.  Very frustrating.

D-line looked good.  Even after Jones went out they found a way to be disruptive.  

O-line was much better with Holmes and Mewhort and really stunk with Harrisson and Reitz... I think Reitz is serviceable but Harrisson just doesn't get it done... I dont know if its his failure to coordinate the line or what... Just doesn't work.

Luck was off last night and you could tell in his interview.  Nothing to worry about in my mind.  I am sure he will get it cleaned up.

Great to finally see Carter out there with the 1s.  He made some nice plays but showed he still has work to do.  All in all encouraging for him.

TY, Johnson and Moncrief are all studs.  Nuff said there.

Boom had a nice game.  Robinson, outside of 1 bad play, made lemonade out of the crappy lemons he was given.

VARGA... can't say enough about this guy.  Dang fine job last night.  Tough, shifty, north and south runner, surprisingly quick too.  Want to see more of his play.

Overall there were some good things and some not so good things... Enough good things to improve upon that has me feeling pretty good about the season.

Lemonade is too little complimet IMO,...more like  lemon meringue pie.  One play he was met in the backfield-like the whole day- but more than 1 player 2 yards deep, and disappeared....reappearing 2 yards on the other side.

Varga, Robinson, Gore show why Colts want power, 1 cut runners. Herron is a good change of pace back who can make plays as an outlet receiver.

Boom had a nice game.  Robinson, outside of 1 bad play, made lemonade out of the crappy lemons he was given.

VARGA... can't say enough about this guy.  Dang fine job last night.  Tough, shifty, north and south runner, surprisingly quick too.  Want to see more of his play.

And Werner shows that he is still ineffective. We have a strong LBer group. Could he be cut? He just looks like he's in slow motion to me

He should be cut but this staff has shown they hate to admit they're wrong until it's just unbearable

So someone better than Werner will be cut just cause of that. Grigson won't allow the coaches to cut his former first round pick that easily

It's really bad that our staff is like that. The NFL is a gamble, if they don't work out show them the door

He should be cut but this staff has shown they hate to admit they're wrong until it's just unbearable

So someone better than Werner will be cut just cause of that. Grigson won't allow the coaches to cut his former first round pick that easily

It's really bad that our staff is like that. The NFL is a gamble, if they don't work out show them the door

This is a popular viewpoint.

It's also been demonstrated to be false.

It's fanboy wish fulfillment.     It's not the way professionals run franchises.

It's fanboy wish fulfillment. It's not the way professionals run franchises.

Samson Satele vs Mike McGlynn at C

Trent Richardson vs every other RB on the roster

DHB vs other WR's

Do I need to continue?

It's fanboy wish fulfillment.     It's not the way professionals run franchises.

How is this false? Trent Richardson was still getting carries last season, after he was horrible in 2013. There was no good reason that Herron was not taking Richardson's carries to start last season

Then the Defensive front 7 overall is in ok shape.  Gave very little against the run, and constant pressure on the QB.

The o-line found it's 'groove' in pass protection.  But let's not have Harrison back in a center, he stunk up the field.  Mewhort showed he can play well all around at RT.  Louis and Herrimans hurt the run game today.

Could not get a good look at Robinson vrs. starting defenses because no-one can do anything trying to dodge 2-3 people in your  face the moment you are handed the football. -But he had a SENSATIONAL pass block in the A.J. TD.-

Carter looks like a rookie by allowing himself to get pushed off routes.

Luck is rusty.  4-5 passes he normally would complete were off target -this will get cleaned up-

Walden verifies his starting role. The guys motor and pass rush was superb.

The defense tackled VERY well.  especially Butler, 2 different plays he upended people.

Special teams looked 'special' for once this preseason.

Communication in the secondary needs improvement.  A few late transitions to receivers ended with giving up easy completions.

All in all, looked like Indy worked on things and shored up important area's.  Repetition will clear away some of the miscues,- like Lucks accuracy, and pass defense.-  But our guards could be trouble for us vrs teams like Miami, Buffallo, Texans, ect.

I think Robinson's 1st carry was with Holmes at center, all the rest were with Harrison at center.

Satele, Landry, RJF, TRich, Cherilus, all guys Grigs took a flier on when he needed to fill out a roster, all taken for having shown legitamite potential at some point...

Once he made the decision to bring them in only makes sense to allow them full opportunity, the aforementioned guys were given their chance, they didn't work & Grigs didn't hesitate to cut bait...

Werner is still on his Rookie deal so cutting him would be ridiculous. Right now Werners NFL career mirrors Jerry Hughes in many regards, and many Grigson critics point to the Hughes trade as one of his "mistakes"...

So while Werner has disappointed to this point in terms of being a first round pick, he still has value adding depth...

Satele, Landry, RJF, TRich, Cherilus, all guys Grigs took a flier on when he needed to fill out a roster, all taken for having shown legitamite potential at some point...

Once he made the decision to bring them in only makes sense to allow them full opportunity, the aforementioned guys were given their chance, they didn't work & Grigs didn't hesitate to cut bait...

Werner is still on his Rookie deal so cutting him would be ridiculous. Right now Werners NFL career mirrors Jerry Hughes in many regards, and many Grigson critics point to the Hughes trade as one of his "mistakes"...

So while Werner has disappointed to this point in terms of being a first round pick, he still has value adding depth...

I get that, but this staff really gives too many chances. Most those FA's you listed had some pretty nice contracts so maybe that made the staff feel like they had to give them so many chances. But at the end of the day it's about Wins. Those decisions cost us some wins over time imo

And Werner is not supposed to be depth. First round picks are supposed to be starters not backups

Newsome

Mathis (when he returns)

Cole

Walden

That's already 4 people Werner is behind. They play different positions but I'd imagine Manusky will find ways to get them all on the field together so of those 4, who'd you take off the field to put Werner in the game? Cause I can't think of one

Samson Satele vs Mike McGlynn at C

Trent Richardson vs every other RB on the roster

DHB vs other WR's

Do I need to continue?

Nothing is as simple as you make it out to be.

So, for example,  every other RB on the roster -- NONE were RB's who were every down backs.   They were all #2's or 3's.   The only other every down back was Vick Ballard and he's been hurt two years running.     Donald Brown has shown he's a #2.   Boom Herron had fumbling issues in practice and in games.     And on and on and on....

And this has been pointed out countless times.     They can look good for small douses,  but not so good as the lead back.

DHB was here one season.     And at some point,  he got moved to the role of gunner.     He was given enough time to show what he could or couldn't do, and when it was clear that he couldn't -- he lost his job.

You give people who you believe in the opportunity to show what they can do.   A coaches patience is typically much longer than a fans.      That's not just an issue for Colts' fans.     It's that way for fans of all teams.

Of course you can continue.....    but you'd be wrong some more.

I'm sorry.   Perhaps I'm not understanding your meaning.     But none of those guys were "fliers"....

Almost by definition a "flier" is a guy you take on a cheap one-year contract.   

And none of those guys were "fliers"....     They were given big multi-year contracts to "fill out a roster"....

They were given plenty of time to show what they could do and when they couldn't,  they got cut.

It happens on plenty of teams.    As Colts' fans were don't pay as much attention to that.     This is not just a Colts thing.

Nothing is as simple as you make it out to be.

So, for example, every other RB on the roster -- NONE were RB's who were every down backs. They were all #2's or 3's. The only other every down back was Vick Ballard and he's been hurt two years running. Donald Brown has shown he's a #2. Boom Herron had fumbling issues in practice and in games. And on and on and on....

And this has been pointed out countless times. They can look good for small douses, but not so good as the lead back.

DHB was here one season. And at some point, he got moved to the role of gunner. He was given enough time to show what he could or couldn't do, and when it was clear that he couldn't -- he lost his job.

You give people who you believe in the opportunity to show what they can do. A coaches patience is typically much longer than a fans. That's not just an issue for Colts' fans. It's that way for fans of all teams.

Of course you can continue..... but you'd be wrong some more.

Aside from the fumbling issues, Boom showed in the playoffs he was a better #1 option than Trent Richardson would ever be in his NFL career

That same offensive line that the media ripped apart and said we wouldn't go far in the playoffs with it opened up holes for Boom. His best game was probably the Cincy game. And I'm not denying that their patience is longer than ours, but that's the problem. All the other RB's found holes from the oline except Trent. It's not about if they're a #1 RB or workhorse. Lot of teams are doing the RB by committee approach now. Only a handful of guys in the NFL are workhorses for their team

Lacy

Lynch

Peterson

Charles

Murray

Bell

McCoy

Forte

Morris

Few off the top of my head

How is this false? Trent Richardson was still getting carries last season, after he was horrible in 2013. There was no good reason that Herron was not taking Richardson's carries to start last season

Boom Herron not getting Trent carries "to start last season" because he had a huge fumbling problem.    It carried over when he finally got his shot.

And Trent actually didn't have a terrible first part of last season.   He was on his way to a 100 yard game when he pulled his hamstring against Cincy.    I think he had like 77 yards in the 3rd quarter.    

Boom had his own issues.    He fumbled a lot in practice and that's why he wasn't getting his shot in games.

Aside from the fumbling issues, Boom showed in the playoffs he was a better #1 option than Trent Richardson would ever be in his NFL career

That same offensive line that the media ripped apart and said we wouldn't go far in the playoffs with it opened up holes for Boom. His best game was probably the Cincy game. And I'm not denying that their patience is longer than ours, but that's the problem. All the other RB's found holes from the oline except Trent. It's not about if they're a #1 RB or workhorse. Lot of teams are doing the RB by committee approach now. Only a handful of guys in the NFL are workhorses for their team

Lacy

Lynch

Peterson

Charles

Murray

Bell

McCoy

Forte

Morris

Few off the top of my head

He showed it in the PLAYOFFS.

He had to fix his fumbling problem.     Hello!?!

He had his fumbling problem BEFORE the playoffs.

The other backs were NOT #1's.       Once Boom showed he could be trusted -- THEN we used him.

You act as if it's a given fact that he would've been just as good in week one as he was in the playoffs.

That's a FANS perspective.    Not someone who makes their living in the NFL.

I'm sorry. Perhaps I'm not understanding your meaning. But none of those guys were "fliers"....

Almost by definition a "flier" is a guy you take on a cheap one-year contract.

And none of those guys were "fliers".... They were given big multi-year contracts to "fill out a roster"....

They were given plenty of time to show what they could do and when they couldn't, they got cut.

It happens on plenty of teams. As Colts' fans were don't pay as much attention to that. This is not just a Colts thing.

Yeah, you missed the point, & got hung up on my use of the word flier...

Maybe that was a poor word choice...

I was saying Grigs had a roster to fill out, he brought in players that had showed potential in one way or another, after he made those decisions, it is only logical to stick with your decisions for a reasonable amount of time...

Those decisions that didn't work, got cut, which goes against the theory that this regime is "unable" to admit failures...

We are on the same side of this argument...

Yeah, you missed the point, & got hung up on my use of the word flier...

Maybe that was a poor word choice...

I was saying Grigs had a roster to fill out, he brought in players that had showed potential in one way or another, after he made those decisions, it is only logical to stick with your decisions for a reasonable amount of time...

Those decisions that didn't work, got cut, which goes against the theory that this regime is "unable" to admit failures...

We are on the same side of this argument...

Thanks.     I thought that might be the case.

You're right.    I got crossed up on "flier"....   but otherwise,  you presented your case perfectly.

Appreciate it!             :thmup:

I get that, but this staff really gives too many chances. Most those FA's you listed had some pretty nice contracts so maybe that made the staff feel like they had to give them so many chances. But at the end of the day it's about Wins. Those decisions cost us some wins over time imo

And Werner is not supposed to be depth. First round picks are supposed to be starters not backups

Newsome

Mathis (when he returns)

Cole

Walden

That's already 4 people Werner is behind. They play different positions but I'd imagine Manusky will find ways to get them all on the field together so of those 4, who'd you take off the field to put Werner in the game? Cause I can't think of one

Right,

But again, Werner is still on his Rookie deal, he can add value behind those OLBs you've mentioned especially in the unfortunate event another player is injured.

Then when his Rookie deal is up, if he hasn't made significant progress you cut ties...

Newsome

Mathis (when he returns)

Cole

Walden

Perhaps.....    but the Colts have won 11, 12, and 13 games in Grigson's first three years.    How many losses do you think we suffered because of his decisions?     Nobody bats 1000, or even close.

Look.....    no doubt Grigson and his staff have made a sizable amount of mistakes.   But we keep winning and we keep getting better.    And one way that Grigson and his staff have helped is the way the contracts have been structured.    The Colts have been able to get out from the contracts after 2 years without any serious cap hits.   

The Colts are among the few teams in the NFL who win double-digits and are also major players in free agency.   Other teams have their deals structured in such a way that they can't spend as much as the Colts do.     That's win-win for the Colts.

Perhaps.....    but the Colts have won 11, 12, and 13 games in Grigson's first three years.    How many losses do you think we suffered because of his decisions?     Nobody bats 1000, or even close.

Look.....    no doubt Grigson and his staff have made a size amount of mistakes.   But we keep winning and we keep getting better.    And one way that Grigson and his staff have helped is the way the contracts have been structured.    The Colts have been able to get out from the contracts after 2 years without any serious cap hits.   

The Colts are among the few teams in the NFL who win double-digits and are also major players in free agency.   Other teams have their deals structured in such a way that they can't spend as much as the Colts do.     That's win-win for the Colts.

"no doubt Grigson and his staff have made a size amount of mistakes. But we keep winning and getting better."

Would someone _PLEASE_ point that out to some of our "astute" fan base. I mean, the guy deserves to go, right?

..// Sarcasm...// is now ...// OFF!

Mathis and Cole are starters. So Walden, even he is better then Werner is just a backup. Walden will be cut not because of Grigson's inability to admit mistakes, but because of Walden's price. Werner is much cheaper.

Mathis and Cole are starters. So Walden, even he is better then Werner is just a backup. Walden will be cut not because of Grigson's inability to admit mistakes, but because of Walden's price. Werner is much cheaper.

Why would you cut the better person between Walden & Werner? Has Werner outside of the tipped pass that lead to the Int made any plays this preseason?

Really don't recall any aside from the one I mentioned

Why would you cut the better person between Walden & Werner? Has Werner outside of the tipped pass that lead to the Int made any plays this preseason?

Really don't recall any aside from the one I mentioned

If I need starter, I would keep Walden as a better option. If I need backup (and re-sign AC, Luck, Allen, Fleener), I would keep Werner as a cheaper option.

If I need starter, I would keep Walden as a better option. If I need backup (and re-sign AC, Luck, Allen, Fleener), I would keep Werner as a cheaper option.

So you'd save money, but lose production?

Walden is the better option. Mathis & Cole aren't getting any younger & Werner isn't getting any better. Now if we draft someone who immediately comes in and starts let's say opposite Newsome then I'd be fine with letting Walden walk. But right now Grigson & our cap guy who's name is slipping this mind of mine have done fabulous in terms of cap management. I don't think a Walden contract would kill us

And then if Arthur Jones ankle is serious, we could be letting him go as that'll be his second time losing the season to an ankle injury. He's going to see a specialist as we speak so that's not a good sign already