Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steve Smith Ejected; Harbaugh/gruden Get Into Shouting Match On Field

amfootball

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/john-harbaugh-jay-gruden-fight-video/271698

Looks like Steve Smith still has the hot temper. Smith and Redskins CB Chris Culliver grabbed each other's jerseys and engaged in a shoving match after the teams converged with 30 seconds remaining in the first quarter, and then Ravens receiver Kamar Aiken was lifted and thrown down headfirst into the turf by Redskins linebacker Keenan Robinson.

Sounds ugly.

Harbaugh then went over to the other sideline and screamed at Gruden.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/john-harbaugh-jay-gruden-fight-video/271698

Looks like Steve Smith still has the hot temper. Smith and Redskins CB Chris Culliver grabbed each other's jerseys and engaged in a shoving match after the teams converged with 30 seconds remaining in the first quarter, and then Ravens receiver Kamar Aiken was lifted and thrown down headfirst into the turf by Redskins linebacker Keenan Robinson.

Sounds ugly.

Harbaugh then went over to the other sideline and screamed at Gruden.

That is pretty wild, Smith will probably always have a temper. Funny seeing the coaches go at it, more than likely a fine is coming their way. It's going to be an interesting season.

That's an unacceptable tackle, I would be hot too. In hockey, you would definitely have to "answer the bell" for that type of garbage...you can't just run around trying to maim people and expect no one to be upset.

Agreed....ramming a guy headfirst into the turf is dangerous business.

Granted, Steve Smith would probably punch out a restaurant cook for burning his toast....but that was a nasty tackle that could've caused serious injury.

I can't say I blame him for stepping in.

Harbaugh was very testy, even at halftime, chewing out a Baltimore halftime reporter for asking questions he deemed stupid. Not sure what is going on with John, but he's seems to be getting a bit more like Jim. I don't blame him on that Redskins and play, but he seems like he's under a lot of pressure. Injuries are piling up again for the Ravens, which may be one reason for his frustration.

It looked to me like the WR was fumbling the ball after the hit and the LB was trying to further dislodge it by driving him into the turf.  Not sure this was a cause for the Ravens to start a fight.

Not so sure of that, it looks secure to me-

PileDrive1_zpsaeg2qiql.jpg

PileDrive2_zpsk5jxggkn.jpg

PileDrive3_zpsg8zbdkws.jpg

PileDrive4_zpskxxe2cdv.jpg

I didn't see it live.  Was it a catch?  Incompletion {lost possession when he was pile driven into ground}? Was there a penalty for that (besides the penalties and ejections of Smith and Chris Culliver) ?

The tackle was a bit much, for sure.  I'm just not sure if Robinson just went WAY overboard to make the big tackle or if he tried to make an adjustment to the receiver putting his hand down to stay up and put more into it than he needed to (it certainly turns out very different if thats a bigger/heavier player he's trying to wrangle).  It's one of those tackles that looks more unreasonable in slow motion where you get a false sense of deliberation than in real speed.

Harbaugh was very testy, even at halftime, chewing out a Baltimore halftime reporter for asking questions he deemed stupid. Not sure what is going on with John, but he's seems to be getting a bit more like Jim. I don't blame him on that Redskins and play, but he seems like he's under a lot of pressure. Injuries are piling up again for the Ravens, which may be one reason for his frustration.

I've noticed this too.  He seems like he has less patience recently.  He got into it with the refs after the Suggs hit in the Philly game, even though he's usually a mild-tempered guy.  Is it just the frustration of injuries or is there something else going on?  Is he in a contract year?

Good to hear from you on this. I was thinking the same thing about Harbaugh. He does not seem himself at all this season and very edgy and hot tempered. He should have been flagged for running onto the field like that and screaming at Gruden on top. Do you think he caught a lot of flak for the post-season loss last year not being prepared for the trick formations and then losing a 14 point lead twice? I am wondering if he is feeling more pressure this year with the Steelers improving too. Although I still think their defense will not be very good.

Good to hear from you on this. I was thinking the same thing about Harbaugh. He does not seem himself at all this season and very edgy and hot tempered. He should have been flagged for running onto the field like that and screaming at Gruden on top. Do you think he caught a lot of flak for the post-season loss last year not being prepared for the trick formations and then losing a 14 point lead twice? I am wondering if he is feeling more pressure this year with the Steelers improving too. Although I still think their defense will not be very good.

Why would any leader of a professional sports organization be worrying about a game that was played nearly 8 months ago that nobody can change, especially considering the fact that those formations are now illegal?

Why would any leader of a professional sports organization be worrying about a game that was played nearly 8 months ago that nobody can change, especially considering the fact that those formations are now illegal?

I think we all know the pressure to succeed in the NFL and it was not just about the formations but the fact that the Ravens dominated the game with two leads of 14 points in each half. That being said, Old Crow may be right that this season is putting more pressure on him given the injuries and the Baltimore media just won't seem to leave him alone about Flacco being an elite Qb. Maybe it is just a combo of everything ...

The tackle was a bit much, for sure.  I'm just not sure if Robinson just went WAY overboard to make the big tackle or if he tried to make an adjustment to the receiver putting his hand down to stay up and put more into it than he needed to (it certainly turns out very different if thats a bigger/heavier player he's trying to wrangle).  It's one of those tackles that looks more unreasonable in slow motion where you get a false sense of deliberation than in real speed.

It looks pretty unreasonable in real time too.  You know when you're making a tackles with an unnecessary effort that can injure someone.  he may not have been trying to intentionally injure the guy, but it was wreckless at bare minimum.  The thought would have to have crossed his mind before deciding to leave his feet and driving a guys head to the ground.  I would know, I've done it before and was lucky enough to not get the guy seriously hurt.

There's a reason the Ravens weren't ready for them.     NOBODY would've been ready for them.

And that's why they're ILLEGAL now.     You'll never see them again.    It's things like that and many more that make the other 31 teams HATE your favorite team!

Just sayin...................      :peek:

There's a reason the Ravens weren't ready for them.     NOBODY would've been ready for them.

And that's why they're ILLEGAL now.     You'll never see them again.    It's things like that and many more that make the other 31 teams HATE your favorite team!

Just sayin...................      :peek:

???  First, the Pats were not the first team to run the plays - they were run both in the NFL and college. Second, the plays are not illegal. The rule was just modified slightly. Players can still  be declared eligible or ineligible but the eligible player has to now line up within 3 yards of the tackle box instead of out in the slot. I fully expect the Pats and other teams to continue running the plays this season. 

And Harbaugh/Ravens defense were also not prepared for the half back pass either which tied the game at 28.

???  First, the Pats were not the first team to run the plays - they were run both in the NFL and college. Second, the plays are not illegal. The rule was just modified slightly. Players can still  be declared eligible or ineligible but the eligible player has to now line up within 3 yards of the tackle box instead of out in the slot. I fully expect the Pats and other teams to continue running the plays this season. 

And Harbaugh/Ravens defense were also not prepared for the half back pass either which tied the game at 28.

If the Pats try to run the same play the same way -- they will be flagged for an illegal procedure.

It's now ILLEGAL.      You can try to put lipstick on the pig all you like,  but it's now ILLEGAL.

Yes,  it's been modified.    Because nobody in the NFL liked it as it was.     And now it's illegal.

That extra "effort" on the tackle is worthy of suspension.  That's how guys get paralyzed.

Purposeful pile-driving deserves suspension every time. And that's coming from an old-school NFL fan. Nothing warrants a guy who is completely defenseless and thrown/driven down with the force of a Mack truck to the turf. The only intent is to injure & maim. This is serious stuff, IMO. First offense : 10-16 games. Second offense : You're gone. Too harsh? I don't care.

Purposeful pile-driving deserves suspension every time. And that's coming from an old-school NFL fan. Nothing warrants a guy who is completely defenseless and thrown/driven down with the force of a Mack truck to the turf. The only intent is to injure & maim. This is serious stuff, IMO. First offense : 10-16 games. Second offense : You're gone. Too harsh? I don't care.

I don't know that it warrants that kind of suspension especially since the common refrain from people will be that wife beaters get less than that.  Not that I agree with the reasoning, but because I just don't think the NFL would resort to that harsh a punishment.  I do believe he should be suspended a handful of games though.  A second offense could be much more severe, and I'd be okay with that.  There's just no reason for it, and it could injure someone permanently.  Robinson is lucky that it didn't have the same result as the Bertruzzi-Moore incident.

I don't know that it warrants that kind of suspension especially since the common refrain from people will be that wife beaters get less than that.  Not that I agree with the reasoning, but because I just don't think the NFL would resort to that harsh a punishment.  I do believe he should be suspended a handful of games though.  A second offense could be much more severe, and I'd be okay with that.  There's just no reason for it, and it could injure someone permanently.  Robinson is lucky that it didn't have the same result as the Bertruzzi-Moore incident.

Yeah, OPC. It just grinds my gears to see a player out to destroy another by way of a football game. After all, it is just a game. Professional or not, I'm just not interested in seeing blood-sport infiltrate the NFL. There are too many injuries as it's played now. In any event, I've been privy to seeing what these kind of injuries lead to. It ain't pretty.