Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Can The Colts Best Use The Depth They Have?

bleevit

I look up and down the Colt's roster and I see some significant depth at some positions.  The least of those IMO is the defensive backfield as Vontae's absence always shows.  Even the much maligned O-line has some quality of interchangeable pieces.  Obviously, the skill positions on offense have shown talent.  I even think the D-line could be outstanding if the rookies continue to develop as Parry seems to be disruptive, Jones, Langford and Anderson have quality, and Chapman and Kerr can play at times.  The linebackers will have a big impact.  I think using the depth we have is key to the player's health and the season's success.     

I personally don't see it except for the wr position.

Average players at best BACKING UP average starters at best is not what I call depth. I call it lack of above average talent in the starting unit, specifically the OL. IMHO.

I agree 100% with you on Davis. He gets hurt, we're in trouble. Luck gets hurt, we are dead. And I don't think that's necessary true for all teams if their qb goes down.

Average players at best BACKING UP average starters at best is not what I call depth. I call it lack of above average talent in the starting unit, specifically the OL. IMHO.

I agree 100% with you on Davis. He gets hurt, we're in trouble. Luck gets hurt, we are dead. And I don't think that's necessary true for all teams if their qb goes down.

Okay, we do not have proven monsters at every position.  Unless you can pay them under the table (don't think so) the need to utilize the existing quality is the point of this post.  After all, fresh average players are better than gassed above average players.  I must disagree on the depth at least at the LB position as those cuts are going to be tough and there is definitely some proven success there.  

The way I trend to see if a team has talent is by looking at who the bubble guys are or their cuts and seeing how talented they are. We've got some good bubble guys at every position:

RB- Ballard, Tipton, Varga

WR- Carter, Brown, Whalen

TE- McGrath

OL- Arkin, Good

DL- Pendleton, Quarles, Okine, Kerr

LB- Herrerra, Sylevestre, Muamba, Adongo, Johnson

DB- Price, Brown, Anderson, McDonald

Now those are some good players, not saying they're superstars but in the right role they could contribute, and that is what I consider depth.

I get what you're saying, but I don't necessarily agree.  If you have a player of similar talent backing up the starter, that's depth.

So, if we have average guys backing up average players, we're not seeing a drop off if the starter goes down. 

This is a fairly talented team, stronger in some areas, like WR, and maybe weaker in O Line, but overall, it's a decent team.

Let's face it, if Rodgers, Manning(s), Brady or Brees go down, none of those teams are SB contenders either.  They don't have tons of talent at every position.

Defensively,We absolutely have depth.  Not a lot of superstars, but a bunch of guys backing up other guys that are at or near their playing level. that is known as depth.

Best way to use this s to move them in and out of the lineup often, keep every defensive front 7 guy fresh the entire game.  This will allow guys whose motor or stamina is not the best, always putting out 100% on plays they are out there.