Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Frank Gore Play Saturday?

AmberDerrow

What do you think?

Here's Colts.com Writer Kevin Bowen’s Analysis: 

Speaking to the media on Wednesday, Gore didn’t lean one way or another on whether he will play on Saturday night in St. Louis. Gore received two carries last Saturday, establishing his goal of wanting to get tackled before the real action gets here.

It might actually be a blessing if Gore doesn’t play on Saturday (Gore has 13 total carries in the last four preseasons, so more reps aren’t really needed). Without Gore, that would allow for more first-team snaps to guys like 
Vick Ballardicon-article-link.gif and Josh Robinsonicon-article-link.gif. You know what you are getting out of Gore. You are unsure of what Ballard and Robinson will look like against a first-team defense.

Maybe a little to knock some rust off but I don't think it's absolutely needed. I would rather see the younger guys get the most time to see what they can do. Ballard needs the reps big time. I like what I see from Robinson, a lot. More of him would be great to see, especially with the 1st stringers.

I  agree.  You know what you have in gore and boom.  I say you sit those two and let Robinson and Ballard carry it, maybe even tipton and the others in the 2nd half.  I really want to see how Robinson does against that starting rams DL

I  agree.  You know what you have in gore and boom.  I say you sit those two and let Robinson and Ballard carry it, maybe even tipton and the others in the 2nd half.  I really want to see how Robinson does against that starting rams DL

Using that logic, we know what we have in all our starters...

The 3rd preseason game is where we get everybody ready for the regular season... All the starters should play a full half in my opinion.

I agree too.  Gore traditionally doesn't play much in the preseason.  It's different for RBs than OL or D players.  They don't need to add any more hits to their body count. 

Now's the time to find out if Ballard can make it through a half and for Robinson to see if he can be effective against guys who will actually be on the field in September.

I think it would be best he sit out. (Clearly he might still be hungover a bit evident from his "Andrew is a football god" quotes lol)

On a serious note I don't think he needs anymore work unless Luck and him need work together as far as handoffs/reads etc. We have plenty of other guys to evaluate.

I on the other hand would like to see him get a couple snaps.  I wanna see what he can do against that Rams front.  It doesn't have to be a large number of snaps (like 5).  Knock some of that rust off. If he runs well against that Rams defense, I'll be more confident that we can run the ball in general considering, I don't have much confident in our OL.

Maybe a little to knock some rust off but I don't think it's absolutely needed. I would rather see the younger guys get the most time to see what they can do. Ballard needs the reps big time. I like what I see from Robinson, a lot. More of him would be great to see, especially with the 1st stringers.

Well said pgt_rob. Gore is a proven commodity & like you say, Ballard desperately needs to get back in the groove even if we end up releasing him he needs to put some evidence on tape that he can still carry the ball well. No more than 1 drive for Frank max. I have complete confidence in Gore. He's got nothing to prove to me. 

I'm rooting for ya Vick, but I am realistic too. 

One series for Gore would be fine. Keep him in "Game rhythm" so to speak. Sure, he's the most proven asset at the position, but give him some reps just for fluidity in the starting unit. I personally want Robinson to continue to get the opportunity to prove his worth and compete for the second spot. I think he'll end up being more valuable as a total back than even Boom and the more chances he gets, he'll continue to impress.  

I don't know that there is any *great* benefit in playing Gore for just a few snaps.  What does it prove?
If he's rusty a couple of snaps isn't going to "shake off any rust".

If the front line is terrible, well...it will still be terrible with or without him.

If the front line is great then...it will still be great with or without him.

Others may disagree, but playing a series isn't going to dramatically change anything in my opinion.

I'm more than happy to get him a real workout game 1.  I don't even think about his conditioning being an issue.

What I would like to see is him used as a decoy - never give him the ball - for a series.  Let Robinson and the others

carry the rock with the 1's the rest of the way.

My .02.

I don't think he needs to play.  If he isn't ready to go yet he never will be.  I would think no work for him, or at the most, one series with a couple of hand-offs.  Otherwise it would be just fine by me to watch him holding his helmet on the sidelines tomorrow.