Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Third Wr Spot

RockThatBlue

I think they are giving Moncrief the opportunity to prove himself as the #3, but as much as Dorsett has shown us in such little time, he's already ahead of Moncrief in my opinion. I like Moncrief but even right now I don't believe he's as polished as Dorsett is. Dorsett will end up being the #3 within the first 5 weeks or so.

I think it will be a rotation, with Moncrief getting the majority of the snaps.

I understand the appeal of Dorsett and T.Y. on the field at the same time, but Moncrief is a burner as well... Not to mention the facts that he's a size mismatch for most corners, can jump like a gazelle, and has a full year in with the playbook and QB...

I might be higher on him than most, but I think that Moncrief has serious #1 potential. His ceiling is arguably higher than any receiver on the roster (excluding AJ in his prime).

That isn't to say that Dorsett couldn't develop into a T.Y./ Antonio Brown type of talent. I just don't think that he will get the snaps.

We have seen how the staff likes to ease rookie receivers into the mix. Happened with T.Y.. Happened with Moncrief last year and neither of the players in front of them were as good as Moncrief will be this year..

Dorsett will get spot duty and return kicks unless somebody gets hurt.

I think it will be a rotation, with Moncrief getting the majority of the snaps.

I understand the appeal of Dorsett and T.Y. on the field at the same time, but Moncrief is a burner as well... Not to mention the facts that he's a size mismatch for most corners, can jump like a gazelle, and has a full year in with the playbook and QB...

I might be higher on him than most, but I think that Moncrief has serious #1 potential. His ceiling is arguably higher than any receiver on the roster (excluding AJ in his prime).

That isn't to say that Dorsett couldn't develop into a T.Y./ Antonio Brown type of talent. I just don't think that he will get the snaps this year.

We have seen how the staff likes to ease rookie receivers into the mix. Happened with T.Y.. Happened with Moncrief last year and neither of the players in front of them were as good as Moncrief will be this year..

Dorsett will get spot duty and return kicks unless somebody gets hurt.

I'm gonna say it'll be Moncrief, but they'll play about an equal amount of snaps.

I was actually going to say Dorsett, but they'll play an equal amount of snaps. The reason they drafted Dorsett was to create mismatches and force the Defense to pick between Hilton and Dorsett and burn you with the other one. While Dorsett won't get all the snaps, I believe he starts and gets the first chance to dominate with Hilton like Grigson wanted. I can back this up by how high Grigson had Dorsett rated in the draft and how well he has done in training camp and preseason up to this point.

Hey guys, I may of missed an obvious post the last couple days on this, but is it 100% guaranteed that Dorsett plays on Saturday? I know he had a knee bruise. If he does play and has a big game (75 yards, 5 catches or more, a TD) gets two of these 3 stats, I believe he will be named the starter over Moncrief in week 1.

It will be situational. 

If the Corner is bigger, more aggresive, Dorsett will play more.

If he is smaller, faster type, then Montcrief will have the majority of the snaps.

Pep talks about finding mismatches and taking advantage of them 

With both those guys, we have a mismatching dream.

Fully expect 1 guy  to  play alot one week then the other having a big day a different week.

It's not about who deserves it more, it's about winning.

I am ready for Moncrief, Dorsett and TY Hilton at the same time, with Gore split out as well...with Fleener an option.

Rotate, rotate, rotate.  Keep these guys running hard and keep them fresh!!! Can you tell the old LB is getting excited for some Colts football?   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!!!!!!

?????? dorsett is in there, im not sure where you got that unless it was some kind of joke

http://horseshoeheroes.com/2015/08/25/indianapolis-colts-rated-87-overall-in-madden-16/

Not sure if it's just an issue with me, but I can only get him and Robinson if I include the preseason in my franchise and don't select the option advance to the preseason from the get go. If I do advance, Tyler Varga makes the roster over Robinson whom is a 68, and Whalen and Carter make the team over Dorsett who is also a 68. Wth? It makes me just want to wait for an update or something.

Edit: On even further investigation there definitely has to be something wrong like a missed update or something with my game. Dorsett is supposed to be in the 70s and the Colts are supposed to be 87, the Colts in my game are 80... *cue x-files theme*

It will be situational. 

If he is smaller, faster type, then Montcrief will have the majority of the snaps.

Fully expect 1 guy  to  play alot one week then the other having a big day a different week.

I agree..... I think you will see that they will ALSO use Moncrief more when it is red zone

Not sure if it's just an issue with me, but I can only get him and Robinson if I include the preseason in my franchise and don't select the option advance to the preseason from the get go. If I do advance, Tyler Varga makes the roster over Robinson whom is a 68, and Whalen and Carter make the team over Dorsett who is also a 68. Wth? It makes me just want to wait for an update or something.

now i see what you mean.  madden sims can be kind of funky sometimes.  isnt there an option in the settings to take total control over the roster yourself?

also 68 seems too low for Dorsett, it could have been an update but hes at 73 as of one day ago according to that article

Moncrief will be three 

It will be situational. 

This is how I see it as well. Production will play a role of course, but snap counts will depend on the opponent I think.  I tend to lean on Moncrief getting more snaps based on experience alone - at least initially anyway.  I've liked what I've seen from Dorsett so far and I think that he has some of the best raw skills that you could ask for in a WR, but I want to see how he does in meaningful games, where press coverage should be tighter.  I haven't really been able to watch tape to see how he runs his routes, but he's getting separation, so that's at least a decent indication, for what preseason judgments are worth.  But until that time, if we're just discussing who is ahead on the depth chart for fun, Moncrief should be ahead on the depth chart for now until someone takes it from him or he gives it away.

Edit: On even further investigation there definitely has to be something wrong like a missed update or something with my game. Dorsett is supposed to be in the 70s and the Colts are supposed to be 87, the Colts in my game are 80... *cue x-files theme*

If you're playing franchise mode it's because the ratings change due to your preferences in the schemes. You know how you can change what type of player you want at each position? Well it judges the OVR based on 4 or 5 attributes depending on your preference. For example, if you have it set so you prefer "Red Zone Target" WR's, then Dorsett will be rated lower because his strengths are speed and acceleration.

Football is really about packages. Yes, there will be packages with Dorsett at the 3, or Moncrief, or Fleenor, or anyone. The 3rd WR spot is just like a Nickleback, who is out there is contingent on what we are trying to do. There will not be the same 3rd WR out there for every situation. Dorsett will be out there, when depends on matchup. This game is chess, not checkers.

Also, Moncrief is a "better" WR then Dorsett right now, but Dorsett needs more reps. I believe Dorsett & Moncrief will be used in some speed packages with T.Y. But Moncrief also has size & speed to play in big sets with Andre Coby & D Carter. 

Clearly Hilton is the number one but beyond that I think the Colts feel like they have three number "two" level WRs and will mix them up depending on play calls and situations. I expect Johnson to be out there more than Moncrief and Dorsett but I think all four are going to play a lot. Factor in Fleener's ability to stretch the field and Allen being a good passing threat and if everyone can stay healthy and the line gives Luck anytime to throw the Colts passing attack should be deadly.

Clearly Hilton is the number one but beyond that I think the Colts feel like they have three number "two" level WRs and will mix them up depending on play calls and situations. I expect Johnson to be out there more than Moncrief and Dorsett but I think all four are going to play a lot. Factor in Fleener's ability to stretch the field and Allen being a good passing threat and if everyone can stay healthy and the line gives Luck anytime to throw the Colts passing attack should be deadly.

I agree, especially given AJ's age. I think they are going to rotate all these guys. Plus, Gore will be Gore and if Robinson turns out to be something(which I think he will) and Boom, we have crazy depth at all skill positions...barring injuries of course.

If we have a killer, don't let up attitude this year it's going to be really hard for opposing teams to keep up.

Only question mark? O-line...which I think will at least be average.

Other than the fumble, I think Dorsett has looked like a more complete receiver than Moncrief this preseason. Better route running and separation. I think we'll see plenty of both but I like Dorsett at this point. I still need to see Moncrief use his size to his advantage more and go up and high-point balls. A trips formation with TY, Dorsett, and Crief is scary to think about.

They'll both get about equal snaps. But I don't know. I go back and forth. One could break away from the other and get the majority of the snaps as our 3rd WR. Either way, our offense is about to be something pretty special. Teams are really going to struggle defending the pass against us.

IMO Dorsett is obviously the more polished of the two. You can just tell he is so smooth he makes it look easy. He gets separation easily catches the ball with his hands and can fly. The kid is going to be really good.  Moncrief has all the tools and some great guys to learn from. I think he is on the normal WR growth chart. He will really take off year 3. I think it is pretty easy to see why one went at the end of the 1st round and the other in the 3rd round. Dorsett and TY are going to be very difficult to deal with this year.

If you're playing franchise mode it's because the ratings change due to your preferences in the schemes. You know how you can change what type of player you want at each position? Well it judges the OVR based on 4 or 5 attributes depending on your preference. For example, if you have it set so you prefer "Red Zone Target" WR's, then Dorsett will be rated lower because his strengths are speed and acceleration.

Interesting. I will look into this.

IMO Dorsett is obviously the more polished of the two. You can just tell he is so smooth he makes it look easy. He gets separation easily catches the ball with his hands and can fly. The kid is going to be really good. Moncrief has all the tools and some great guys to learn from. I think he is on the normal WR growth chart. He will really take off year 3. I think it is pretty easy to see why one went at the end of the 1st round and the other in the 3rd round. Dorsett and TY are going to be very difficult to deal with this year.

Agree about Dorsett he looks like a vet out there not a rookie

Other than the fumble, I think Dorsett has looked like a more complete receiver than Moncrief this preseason. Better route running and separation. I think we'll see plenty of both but I like Dorsett at this point. I still need to see Moncrief use his size to his advantage more and go up and high-point balls. A trips formation with TY, Dorsett, and Crief is scary to think about.

dorsett plays the slot. Moncrief doesn't