Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Has Some Explaining To Do

dudley dawson

Well he wasn't a very good one so........I'm sensing a trend. 

I support Grigs for what it's worth, but O-line seems a strange unit for him to not be pouring more effort (and money) into. One of our better O-lineman isn't even his pick (AC).

Castonzo is the colts best offensive lineman by a country mile.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a hardcore & lifer Colt. I support our team every game. But that doesnt mean I have to like the coach & GM cause I dont. I am going to ask a serious question. What has Grigson done right besides picking Luck & TY Hilton?

Vontae Davis

Dwayne Allen

I'm not blaming him for injuries. For the most part his picks have been weak. Yea he has selected some developmental guys we like but they aren't starters or high end contributors yet. And his signings & trades excluding Vontae have been pathetic.

You don't like Allen as a player?

I'm not blaming him for injuries. For the most part his picks have been weak. Yea he has selected some developmental guys we like but they aren't starters or high end contributors yet. And his signings & trades excluding Vontae have been pathetic.

This years stock of rookies have quite a few whom were playing with the first teamers and look promising. Parry, Anderson both played on the 1st team defense and played well. Robinson -perhaps the steal of the draft- would probably be our starter come regular season if we did not have Gore. Dorsett has shown he can play with the best of them. Good is perhaps another steal.  But I do get that those rookies -minus Dorsett..1st rounders are expected to  be starters- playing to and exceeding the regular experienced starters doesn't bode well for Grigson's past endeavors...but atleast he seems to have done well this year.

He's got a balanced game, but I'd let someone else pay him. He's not a TE that puts any type of fear in a defense. He just does everything well when he's healthy.

I don't think he is an elite receiving tight end, but I can't blame him for the colts underutilizing his blocking in the run game. That's where Allen shines.

No my point was Grigson didn't actively pursue/recruit him. I heard there was minimal interest or something along those lines. When someone like that falls into FA at a ridiculously affordable price, in a position of EXTREME need, YOU GO AND GET HIM.

That's not accurate. The Colts did actively pursue him; per Grigson, they went hard after him, and he chose the Cowboys (over us and everyone else). Only thing they could have done differently is draft him late, and we all know why they didn't.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/08/05/ryan-grigson-indianapolis-colts-offensive--line/31166153/

whats been lost in the pre-season is that the Colts have done a good job running the ball. Over 4 yards per carry tonight and over 100 yards. Also the offense looks like it has been focused on working on the run. I don't think we have seen anything close to the offense we are going to see once the season starts. Line has been sloppy in pass protection at times but run blocking wise they have been pretty good.

thay are going be fine when thay get down to 53 man roster and can game plain

I don't think he is an elite receiving tight end, but I can't blame him for the colts underutilizing his blocking in the run game. That's where Allen shines.

The thing is though a receiving TE would probably be a better fit. Greg Olson's pass catching would help more than Allen's blocking w/ the group of WR we have. I just wish Fleener could catch or develop. Looks clear to me he's maxed out his ability.

Also, I'd like to point out that this is a major league freak-out over a matter of 3 plays in the preseason. Seems like an overreaction.

One more thing, the run blocking was pretty good. Not perfect, still some mistakes and losses, but the starters and primary reserves looked like they had something going for awhile. Gore and Robinson distinguished themselves as far better runners than Tipton, in particular.

I brought this up w/ friends the other day about Grigson: If you are a new leader, part of your job is to analyze what went wrong before, what didnt work. So what were those things in the Polian era: Couldnt run the ball, couldn't play top end defense, no backup QB, bad OL ,the surrounding talent outside the QB was subpar because of cap issues.

I'm pretty sure all Grigson has done is turnover the roster & give us the exact same problems 4 years later.

So Grigson has made 3 good moves going into his 4th year. One was completely obvious. So really 2 good moves in 3+ years. Guys thats hardly doing a good job.

So you are saying Grigson has not done a good job? When he took the job the Colts were in shambles and 39 million in dead cap money. He rebuilt this team, got then out of cap trouble and made the playoffs all three seasons. Now after three seasons they are one of the favored teams to go to the super bowl. No, he hasn't done a good job at all. :facepalm:

I brought this up w/ friends the other day about Grigson: If you are a new leader, part of your job is to analyze what went wrong before, what didnt work. So what were those things in the Polian era: Couldnt run the ball, couldn't play top end defense, no backup QB, bad OL ,the surrounding talent outside the QB was subpar because of cap issues.

I'm pretty sure all Grigson has done is turnover the roster & give us the exact same problems 4 years later.

I would disagree with polian's teams having subpar talent. I didn't like the way the team was constructed, but at their peak, that squad had a lot of talent.

There are some rational thoughts in a sea of chicken little nonsense of a thread.

Mewhort is in his 3rd professional game at RT.  There are going to be growing pains as he learns.  It is important to remember that he is not as good now as he will be as the season progresses. They can coach him, work with him and develop his game.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with just the idea that Donald Thomas is still on the roster.  Is it that hard to understand that they think he has some talent and can contribute if he is healthy?  Big if I know but what is the cost of him being on the roster / PUP now?  It is obvious - they want to see what he can do when he gets back and if the answer is not much then they cut him.  If he can play, well kooky there - more talent for the o'line.

The entire league has passed on Evan Mathis for the time being.  No wants to pay his price at his age - or at least no one is desperate enough to do that yet.  Many people here have bashed Grigson for not making the effort - how do you know he has not inquired and found the price too high and not worth the ROI?

And the Joe Reitz love is a bit lost on me.  Good player, not great.  You can certainly do better than him so why not try?  They can always go back to him if necessitated by injury or if someone plays himself of the line.

I think Grigson is right when it comes to continuity.  They have talent along the line but it has been so shuffled over the years by injuries and coaching decisions that it is hard to get an accurate read on the unit as a whole.  It is not an unreasonable thought at all to decide on a starting 5 and let them gel together as a unit.  The results may surprise.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I would disagree with polian's teams having subpar talent. I didn't like the way the team was constructed, but at their peek, that squad had a lot of talent.

It had names yes.

But we also used guys a lot like Bullitt, Fletcher, Klecko, the horrible RBs like Mungro or Ricky Williams. Some of the old small LBs. But they made it work. We had names on offense. Then Mathis, Freeney, Sanders.

You must have the Colts confused with some other team. If you cant see the difference this team is with the old one you haven't been looking with good vision. I guess all GMs just snap their fingers and all those things just appear? Grigson has done something no other GM in the league has done in three seasons. Name me one GM in the NFL that has negated 39 million in dead cap space, went to the playoffs in all three first years. And now has this team favored to win the AFC. I am waiting for your response. You make it sound like the Colts are the bottom of the barrel with your narrow minded comments.

Based on what I've seen in preseason thus far, the offensive line is a complete mess.  Now, what I want to know is:

Why the hell didn't we sign La'el Collins?  Or Incognito??  Or Mathis who's still available?!?

Yes, we got Herremans, who thus far has looked highly suspect.  Everyone else named above is much better.  Collins more than anyone bothers me.  A first round, possibly top 5 pick is available in FA and we show minimal interest?  Grigson should have thrown in the kitchen sink to get him to sign here.  Instead, the rich (best O line in the league in Dallas) get richer.

Grigson needs to be held accountable if the line still stinks come week 1.  This is his 4th year.  Enough is enough.

I'm not a proponent of having gone after Collins. Sorry, there was some serious concerns about his personal life. Having said that, the O-line has to get better. I know its just preseason but Luck is going to get killed if there isn't improvement. If the line doesn't improve and Luck gets killed Grigson will have explaining to do then and probably have to save his job.

Based on what I've seen in preseason thus far, the offensive line is a complete mess.  Now, what I want to know is:

Why the hell didn't we sign La'el Collins?  Or Incognito??  Or Mathis who's still available?!?

Yes, we got Herremans, who thus far has looked highly suspect.  Everyone else named above is much better.  Collins more than anyone bothers me.  A first round, possibly top 5 pick is available in FA and we show minimal interest?  Grigson should have thrown in the kitchen sink to get him to sign here.  Instead, the rich (best O line in the league in Dallas) get richer.

Grigson needs to be held accountable if the line still stinks come week 1.  This is his 4th year.  Enough is enough.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/39625-quick-message-to-the-board-before-we-play-tomorrow/

I'm not a proponent of having gone after Collins. Sorry, there was some serious concerns about his personal life. Having said that, the O-line has to get better. I know its just preseason but Luck is going to get killed if there isn't improvement. If the line doesn't improve and Luck gets killed Grigson will have explaining to do then and probably have to save his job.

There were serious concerns about the NFL's image and Collins paid the price for it. His crime was basically knowing a woman that was murdered.

Drink too much apple juice tonight? The line looked OK to me. Luck had time, and Gore got some yards. Take a chill pill. Are you new to watching the Colts in preseason? I can't ever remember the team looking good in preseason. Good lord man, relax.

Luck was hit 3 out of his first 5 drop backs.  I said it on draft day, fix both Oline, and Dline before taking another WR. And yes the Colts have never looked good in Preseason. True. But not improving areas od weakness and just expecting them to be better is like hoping a bad transmission gets better in your car because you bought a new stereo. It doesn't work that way.

I messed up earlier I should correct myself. Grigson, besides picking Luck, has made four good moves not two as previously stated. In addition to trading for Vontae & picking TY, Grigson has signed surprise Mike Adams & DQwell Jackson. I can admit when im wrong :)

Not sure I would count DQ. He's ok

Drink too much apple juice tonight? The line looked OK to me. Luck had time, and Gore got some yards. Take a chill pill. Are you new to watching the Colts in preseason? I can't ever remember the team looking good in preseason. Good lord man, relax.

I stopped reading this when you said Luck had time. Then reread it to make sure I wasn't dreaming

I didn't know it meant having time when first 2 plays your QB is down. I must be new to this football stuff

Luck was hit 3 out of his first 5 drop backs. I said it on draft day, fix both Oline, and Dline before taking another WR. And yes the Colts have never looked good in Preseason. True. But not improving areas od weakness and just expecting them to be better is like hoping a bad transmission gets better in your car because you bought a new stereo. It doesn't work that way.

Yeah that's bad.. But I'm not gonna freak out unless it's this bad around week 4 or so.