Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Has Some Explaining To Do

dudley dawson

Hello boys and girls. :) GMs are infallible right down to their chinny-chin-chins. I thought everyone knew that. No? Well then, burn 'em all I say. I mean, we can't have NFL GMs making one or two mistakes. That goes against the hard-grained super fluidity term "football for dummies". We just cannot stand for that kind of ilk in the professional football world. Yes sir. Burn 'em all if they contribute to an error or two. They deserve it. Make sure to have an abundance of salt rubbed into them as they go out the door as well. Wouldn't want to disappoint the blood-rioting fanbases of one last kick in the rear.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello boys and girls. :) GMs are infallible right down to their chinny-chin-chins. I thought everyone knew that. No? Well then, burn 'em all I say. I mean, we can't have NFL GMs making one or two mistakes. That goes against the hard-grained super fluidity term "football for dummies". We just cannot stand for that kind of ilk in the professional football world. Yes sir. Burn 'em all if they contribute to an error or two. They deserve it. Make sure to have an abundance of salt rubbed into them as they go out the door as well. Wouldn't want to disappoint the blood-rioting fanbases of one last kick in the rear.

Grigson has made a few good moves, and he deserves credit for being a good cap manager. But I don't know that those good points overshadow draft misses, bad FA results, the Trent trade, the OL and the rumored meddling.

One or two mistakes? Ok.....

Here's the thing, everybody and their grandmother's knew to pick Luck.  Peyton himself said the Colts would be stupid not to.  RG3 wasn't really even in the conversation.  Of course they looked at him for comparision purposes, but he really wasn't in the cards.  If you don't pick Luck, he could've been legally labeled insane!  The good moves he has made was drafting TY, Vontae Davis trade, bring in Erik Walden.  Now drafting Parry and Anderson!  For what Gore was paid, that was a bargain deal also.  That's about the only GREAT things he has done, for what the move was worth.   Fleener & Allen were gimmie's due to how high they were picked so I don't consider that a great thing just like luck, because those types of moves SHOULD work out, if not, it's a failing attempt!  Same thing with Mewhort and Moncrief.  Anybody drafted in the top 3 rounds are expected to contribute...

On the other hand let's count how many horrendous moves he's made.  Werner, Richardson, trading Hughes,  signing Cherilus, Landry, RJF, Thomas, Redding, among other's that get overpaid while not playing up to par. Art Jones is starting to look like a bad investment.  Also having the mind set we should develop players on the OL, and it will fix itself mentality.  Overstacking depth in WR, while there is a glaring weakness on the OL for MANY MANY years! 

I'm sorry the no brainer, good moves don't count, and the collasal fails withstand any of the good he has done.  I'm not saying he is terrible or bad, he certainly isn't great!  That's what it takes to win SB's.  Just imagine if it was any other year we had the #1 pick?  No Andrew Luck=Disastrous

GM's can get lucky signing players

Redding?

GMs are completely infallible. Yes sir. Completely infallible. By that psycho-babble-poo-poo it's no wonder the NFL doesn't award multiple trophies each year. I mean, really. These guys cannot afford to ever be scorched by one or two mistakes. It goes against the hard-grained super fluidity term of "football for dummies". Yes sir. Completely infallible. Burn 'em all, I say. They can't get anything right.

I don't think people are claiming that GMs are infallible, but when the O tries to do the same thing against defenses that have good front 7s and Luck gets his shoulder hurt, firing the GM for that just seems to be more about harboring bitterness towards people in an organization who have power, rather than holding the correct people accountable.

I don't think people are claiming that GMs are infallible, but when the O tries to do the same thing against defenses that have good front 7s and Luck gets his shoulder hurt, firing the GM for that just seems to be more about harboring bitterness towards people in an organization who have power, rather than holding the correct people accountable.

Agreed, DD! My last two posts were dripping with sarcasm, obviously. However, reading and catching up over the last two weeks I've been gone gives one the impression that a nuclear explosion has occurred inside the organization. Way too hysterical for my taste. I see both sides (as I try in every evaluation) and can honestly say the "sky is NOT falling". At least, not yet. We're 1-2 and we'll see how this whole thing plays out. Until then, I'll bide my time in the "wait & see" zone. The danger zone is not quite prevelant yet to jump ship.

It seems not too many want to give Grigson or Pagano any credit. Nothing but knee jerk reactions that most make no sense to me in the bigger picture. No one wants to mention how good the defensive line that was brought in by Grigson. Championship teams are not built all at once. Grigson has attempted to put players on the offensive line and injuries and a couple of misses were the result. Last season most were complaining about the defensive line because we got run on pretty bad. That has been addressed from what I can tell. One of the problems we have faced this season is injuries to the defensive backs. Hopefully the players will heal and get back on the field. Some are laying all the blame for Luck getting injured on the O-line. Granted we need improvement but Luck has made it tough upon himself. His holding the ball too long and then running like he was a running back does not bide well. Every defensive player we face puts an target on Luck and just waits for the chance to drill him. That is football 101 and has been since football started. The statement has been said that Grigson don't see or know what the problem is. IMO he knows full well what is happening. Grigson will continue to work on all needs but good linemen are hard to find and it is always a none stop process for all GMs. Look at the injuries all over the league. Big name QBs, running backs and receivers have had an abundance of injuries throughout the league. I just think that any changes that need to be made will happen at the end of the season and not before like some suggest. In the big picture the Colts if anything have over achieved the last three seasons and now that we have hit a rough spot some want heads to roll. Only time will tell what this team is going to be but blowing it up at this stage of the season would not be too smart IMO.

It seems not too many want to give Grigson or Pagano any credit. Nothing but knee jerk reactions that most make no sense to me in the bigger picture. No one wants to mention how good the defensive line that was brought in by Grigson. Championship teams are not built all at once. Grigson has attempted to put players on the offensive line and injuries and a couple of misses were the result. Last season most were complaining about the defensive line because we got run on pretty bad. That has been addressed from what I can tell. One of the problems we have faced this season is injuries to the defensive backs. Hopefully the players will heal and get back on the field. Some are laying all the blame for Luck getting injured on the O-line. Granted we need improvement but Luck has made it tough upon himself. His holding the ball too long and then running like he was a running back does not bide well. Every defensive player we face puts an target on Luck and just waits for the chance to drill him. That is football 101 and has been since football started. The statement has been said that Grigson don't see or know what the problem is. IMO he knows full well what is happening. Grigson will continue to work on all needs but good linemen are hard to find and it is always a none stop process for all GMs. Look at the injuries all over the league. Big name QBs, running backs and receivers have had an abundance of injuries throughout the league. I just think that any changes that need to be made will happen at the end of the season and not before like some suggest. In the big picture the Colts if anything have over achieved the last three seasons and now that we have hit a rough spot some want heads to roll. Only time will tell what this team is going to be but blowing it up at this stage of the season would not be too smart IMO.

Especially since the mandate for this off-season wasn't fix the o-line it was fix the d-line so the Pats don't run over the Colts again.  That has sense been forgotten, probably because it hasn't been a problem to this point.

I think this is a good time to remind people of something Mark Montieth has said in the past.  Progress isn't always a straight line up.  Now I get that this season has been a big step back to many and it might very well end up being one, but sometimes you need that to go forward.  I know that does nothing to make people to feel better about this year but maybe a less than successful year might help the Colts gain more talent for years to come.  It also might lead to changes that some people seem to want. 

I think your point about over achieving is a good one.  I think it's catching up to the Colts some thing year and they are coming back down to earth a bit.  That's bound to catch up to you sooner or later.

I think the fact remains there are a lot of people you can blame right now rather it be Jim Irsay getting all the Super Bowl talk going going into he season, Pagano maybe not having the best game plans to start games, Pep for some questionable play calls, Clyde not working with Luck more to get him to make some changes that could help him, Luck for not making changes sooner, other players for not playing better, or Grigson not drafting and signing players better.  The truth is everyone shares in this and it's not as simple as going this is person X's fault if we replace person X everything will be better. 

I also still caution against whole sale changes.  If people are frustrated with a 1-2 start they are going to be really frustrated if they fire both the head coach and the GM because that means a new GM and a new head coach are going to come in and bring in their own system and their own players which means stripping down what they have and starting over.  There is no promise that they are going to get it right and rebuilding things again normally isn't the fastest process in the world.  I know Dungy did it in two years pretty quickly but he didn't touch the offense and they didn't change the GM.  When Grigson came in they did turn it around but I think that was a bit of smoke and mirrors and a lot of things just going the Colts way and I still say we will never know exactly how much ChuckStrong motivated that team and the difference that made.  I also think Grigson is still in the process in trying to overhaul the team from 2011 which is why there are so many holes and the lack of depth. 

I do think a coaching change is coming rather it's warranted or not.  I do think Grigson will keep his job unless the wheels just completely come off.  I think Irsay saw a coaching change work before when it happened with Mora and Manning.  I think he will look to repeat history. 

O line coach should have been canned last year.

I agree! If rumors are true about Pep being Grigsons hire are true or not he still need to go. Because of * poor play calling, poor coaching and not protecting Luck heads need to roll. He's been hit more than any qb in the league.

I was thinking about adding him also.  I think he is a tweener guy tho.  He did some good and some bad, kinda torn on him.  He made some great plays and provided good leadership, however didn't live up to expectations!

You included Redding and I don't understand why. He played fine for the Colts and didn't cost much.