Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Has Some Explaining To Do

dudley dawson

I know right I'm just trying to throw him a bone.

For as much as Grigson has supposedly done to help us rebuild, he has also equally set us back by doing things such as: TRich, Werner, Landry, Godser, Thomas, $ to Hasselbeck, $ to Toler.

RJF and Satele were studs

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I just can't help but shake my head. We have some of the most unfootball fans on our bandwagon. I guess it comes from winning, (or at least being competitive), for a very respectable long time. If you are the type of "fan", that gets worried about team success in the preseason, without it surrounding a major injury to a key player, you are following the wrong sport. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we didn't win a preseason game both years we went to Super Bowl. Besides, preseason games are not about winning, its a glorified scrimmage the owners wanted to make money on at the expense of getting players hurt. Its hard for me to even watch preseason. Because the ONLY thing I care about are injuries and defensive turnovers. Listen, without adding anything, we have an opportunity to do something great this year. All you are seeing now is the behind the scenes look at how its being put together. Relax and just keep watching, because the journey from right now until the Trophy is raised is what makes being a diehard fan so rewarding.   

could have been worst could have got rg3

just like,everyone forgets that Polian could have very well drafted Ryan Leaf in 98. There were many arm chair GMs here who would have drafted RG3. Grigson made the right choice. I know no one wants to give him credit for that but it wasn't the no brainier people like to pretend like it was.

just like,everyone forgets that Polian could have very well drafted Ryan Leaf in 98. There were many arm chair GMs here who would have drafted RG3. Grigson made the right choice. I know no one wants to give him credit for that but it wasn't the no brainier people like to pretend like it was.

i bet you still think the world is flat.

I messed up earlier I should correct myself. Grigson, besides picking Luck, has made four good moves not two as previously stated. In addition to trading for Vontae & picking TY, Grigson has signed surprise Mike Adams & DQwell Jackson. I can admit when im wrong :)

so signing Redding wasn't a good move. What about drafting Mewhort and Moncrief last year. Freeman has been a very good find from the CFL. What about signing Butler when the rest of the league had given up on him? It's early but Gore and Johnson both look to be really good signings. What about keeping McAfee and AV? Bringjng Reggie Wayne back on a three year deal when everyone here thought he was gone. Not over paying to keep Garçon. Drafting Newsome last year, he was our best pass rusher last year. Ballard had a very good rookie year but has been slowed by injury which isn't Grigson's fault. Drafting Fleener and Allen sure looks like a good move, it sure wasn't a bad one. None of those were good moves then according to you?

Has he made mistakes, 100% agree that he has and some have been big ones. With that said this team keeps winning when it counts the most, playoffs, something the Manning teams didn't do. That GM was here for 14 years. I don't think Grigson is getting fired as long as his team's keep winning playoff games.

Again I would be extremely careful about over reacting to pre-season games either positively or negatively.

we do as far as Collins was involved.....he wasn't. He wasn't even named as a suspect.

Only time will tell if Collins was worth going after full guns like some suggest. One thing is for sure, the offensive line needs to get better. I don't know how any years I've said this. Goes back to the patriots kicking our butt in the playoffs when manning was here! It's beyond time to invest heavily in the o-line. I'm not gonna second guess and it's just preseason so there's time for this unit to gel but we have to have better if we are going to contend for a Super Bowl

so signing Redding wasn't a good move. What about drafting Mewhort and Moncrief last year. Freeman has been a very good find from the CFL. What about signing Butler when the rest of the league had given up on him? It's early but Gore and Johnson both look to be really good signings. What about keeping McAfee and AV? Bringjng Reggie Wayne back on a three year deal when everyone here thought he was gone. Not over paying to keep Garçon. Drafting Newsome last year, he was our best pass rusher last year. Ballard had a very good rookie year but has been slowed by injury which isn't Grigson's fault. Drafting Fleener and Allen sure looks like a good move, it sure wasn't a bad one. None of those were good moves then according to you?

Has he made mistakes, 100% agree that he has and some have been big ones. With that said this team keeps winning when it counts the most, playoffs, something the Manning teams didn't do. That GM was here for 14 years. I don't think Grigson is getting fired as long as his team's keep winning playoff games.

Again I would be extremely careful about over reacting to pre-season games either positively or negatively.

It's not about pre-season wins. It's about the overall health of this team. I want you to take me serious when I ask this question. If Luck wasn't here & say the Colts had Stafford where are we as a Franchise? Are we still in the same spot?

You are right Grigson has made the right moves resigning players to this team. When it comes to bringing in outside investments though, you're saying he should get props for signing league average guys (excluding Gore/Johnson). Those signings are even debatable money/length wise especially AJ considering injuries & Gore's age but it was a package deal.

Grigson has had way too many swing & misses. At what point does it become habit/history?

We have to put a better product out there while we have Luck.

What makes you think it was Grigson's decision to draft Luck, and not Irsay's? The reality is, there was NO way Irsay was going to pass on Luck, even if for some unimaginable reason Grigson wanted to take RGIII.

What makes you think it was Grigson's decision to draft Luck, and not Irsay's? The reality is, there was NO way Irsay was going to pass on Luck, even if for some unimaginable reason Grigson wanted to take RGIII.

It's been confirmed by a former employee of the team (Gorman) that Irsay released Peyton with the full intent of drafting Luck. 

How do you want him held accountable? The only real way to do that is to fire him and I doubt Irsay is going to fire Grigson over the line after week one given grigson's total body of work since he came here.

Is the line something to be concerned about? Sure. Is it worth firing the GM who took them from 2-14 to the AFC Title game in three years? Probably not.

But it's not 1 week, it's been a mess for 3 years.

You guys are being ridiculous.

Luck carries this team in some games.

The defense has carried this team in others.

That's why this is a good team.

Luck has bad games and the defense has bad games.

Also you guys are putting way too much skin in preseason games.

They are working on things and in my opinion I thought everyone looked pretty good besides Mewhort BUT he was lined up against a very good player.

I feel like I watched a different game than most people here.

Or maybe people just looked at the final score?

I am so confused right now.

I don't think most people are reacting to one preseason game. It's once again having to hope and pray the offensive line can be something other than mediocre.

What good has Grigs done???

Ok, we passed on Rhodes CB from FSU to choose his teammate WERNER, FAIL!

then THOMAS plays 1 game in 2 years (had injury history), then we pass on COLLINS whom we could have gotten in 6-7 round. Ok Aside from LUCK, TY,and maybe TE ALLEN (round 3). J.MEWHORT played exceptional at LG. Maybe his best pick may pan out to be J.ROBINSON...thoughts?

And not taking Collins was just ...     stupid IMO

it wasnt stupid.  if we took him in some late round, he would have refused to sign and entered the draft next year.  by rule, if he goes undrafted he cannot enter the next one. 

he ended up a free agent able to sign where ever he wanted, but with out the guaranteed money that draft picks get

I am a hardcore & lifer Colt. I support our team every game. But that doesnt mean I have to like the coach & GM cause I dont. I am going to ask a serious question. What has Grigson done right besides picking Luck & TY Hilton?

he got one of the best cornerbacks in the league for a late second round pick

it wasnt stupid.  if we took him in some late round, he would have refused to sign and entered the draft next year.  by rule, if he goes undrafted he cannot enter the next one. 

he ended up a free agent able to sign where ever he wanted, but with out the guaranteed money that draft picks get

He was bluffing

i got news for you other than the 07 Pats with Brady who were the exception take away a teams franchise QB that is built around a franchise QB and they aren't winning many games. That's why they get paid such crazy money. There is no question Luck is the best player on the Colts roster but he is far from the only good one and Grigson brought most of those other good ones here so again clearly he's doing something right.

Bill Polian just went into pro football Hall of Fame and he blew two first round picks in one draft with Gonso and Ugoh. Last time I checked he's a competent GM. So yes even Hall of Fame GMs can blow back-to-back first round picks. Grigson isn't perfect, I never said he was. He has and will make mistakes. ALL GMs do. However, clearly he's dong something right or the Colts wouldn't keep winning games and keep going deeper into playoffs. If we are going to over react to something I would much rather over react to playoff performances than a meaningless pre-season game.

Honestly when I have watched the colts offense this pre-season it has been run heavy to the point I think the Colts are focusing on that than truly running their offense. Then when they have to pass they aren't keeping people into block which is probably part of the problem. I think the Colts are using the pre-season as testing and everything we see should be taken with a grain of salt. We are going to know week one how big of an issue the oline truly is, and while I keep saying it needs to get better, especially pass blocking, I don't think it's so bad you fire the GM over it.

I never felt Donald Brown was worth a first round pick either...

Drink too much apple juice tonight? The line looked OK to me. Luck had time, and Gore got some yards. Take a chill pill. Are you new to watching the Colts in preseason? I can't ever remember the team looking good in preseason. Good lord man, relax.

You and I watching the same game?  During the game against the Bears first couple drives the protection was aweful.  What was worse is that Castanzo and Mewhort where at fault for most of it.

Did I miss something? I looked at it like the first drive Mewhort struggled vs McPhee and later, he settled down. Then, the line started playing better as the first unit offense went on marching. We made adjustments, like most good teams make adjustments with extra TE chipping, RB chipping etc. and that helped.

This is par for the course for this time of pre-season. The more the O-line sees real game action, the more their continuity and the better they will get. My main concern I would take from this game is our quality of depth. Our backups, if we had to rely on several of them due to injuries, it is not going to be pretty in several areas.

Irsay made that choice

That's not accurate. The Colts did actively pursue him; per Grigson, they went hard after him, and he chose the Cowboys (over us and everyone else). Only thing they could have done differently is draft him late, and we all know why they didn't.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/08/05/ryan-grigson-indianapolis-colts-offensive--line/31166153/

Seems fishy to me.  He chose to go somewhere to be a backup rather than here as a (more or less) guaranteed starter?  Come on.  Sounds like Grigson is applying some revisionist history here.

To all those saying "it's only week 2 of pre-season, relax...", this is year 4.  Enough is enough.  Apparently some of you are fine giving Grigson an infinite amount of time to get the line fixed, but I am not.  And a lot of the supporters seem to think Colts would be totally screwed without him.  Sometimes, the grass really is greener. 

Again, I'm not saying Grigson should be fired (yet) but if the Colts under-perform and/or Luck gets hurt, it may be time to look in another direction.

The thing is though a receiving TE would probably be a better fit. Greg Olson's pass catching would help more than Allen's blocking w/ the group of WR we have. I just wish Fleener could catch or develop. Looks clear to me he's maxed out his ability.

Greg Olson and Allen are very similar players. They can both block and are good pass catchers. If we targeted Allen more in the passing game you would see how good he is in that regard. And don't forget that he had 8 touchdowns last season while missing a few games. So he's definitely a threat defenses have to account for.

Nobody....and I mean nobody could possible articulate a sensible argument against what you said there. As I said above, I would give things time to flesh out, but I fear we're not going to be treated to a considerably better O-line performance in 2015. 

I'll say it right now; If Luck gets suffers a considerable injury from getting hit (a freakin' miracle and a testament to his toughness that this hasn't happened already), that's when Grigs will feel the intense heat. 

^This.

I think if Luck got injured because of the offensive line then Grigson's lack of attention in fixing it would get him fired.

No my point was Grigson didn't actively pursue/recruit him. I heard there was minimal interest or something along those lines. When someone like that falls into FA at a ridiculously affordable price, in a position of EXTREME need, YOU GO AND GET HIM.

I heard the complete opposite. I heard we tried heavily to recruit him, with even Andrew Luck himself calling Collins. I heard the top three teams for Collins was Dallas, Indy, and Miami and he chose Dallas because he wants to be part of one of the best O-Lines in football.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/5/10/8581997/report-andrew-luck-called-lael-collins-to-try-to-recruit-him-to-colts

If he didn't want to be here you can't blame Collins on Grigson not trying as you have no idea if he tried or not.

To all those saying "it's only week 2 of pre-season, relax...", this is year 4.  Enough is enough.  Apparently some of you are fine giving Grigson an infinite amount of time to get the line fixed, but I am not.  And a lot of the supporters seem to think Colts would be totally screwed without him.  Sometimes, the grass really is greener. 

Again, I'm not saying Grigson should be fired (yet) but if the Colts under-perform and/or Luck gets hurt, it may be time to look in another direction.

It is easy as this, wait for the regular season when it REALLY MATTERS and see what happens. If the wheels fall off the Colts this year then your argument is legit, if not your are overreacting and blowing hot air during the PRESEASON of all times.

Irsay made that choice

if you truly think Grigson had no say in the QB he was going to be expected to build a franchise around your kidding yourself.

Also I recall Irsay made the call on Manning and let the new GM make the call on Luck or RG3. With that said I am sure Irsay was involved in the process but he was getting information gathered by Grigson and his staff to make the call.

Who made most of that decision we will never know but one thing I can promise you is that Grigson didn't sit there and twiddle his thumbs while Irsay made that decision all by himself.