Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Has Some Explaining To Do

dudley dawson

Based on what I've seen in preseason thus far, the offensive line is a complete mess.  Now, what I want to know is:

Why the hell didn't we sign La'el Collins?  Or Incognito??  Or Mathis who's still available?!?

Yes, we got Herremans, who thus far has looked highly suspect.  Everyone else named above is much better.  Collins more than anyone bothers me.  A first round, possibly top 5 pick is available in FA and we show minimal interest?  Grigson should have thrown in the kitchen sink to get him to sign here.  Instead, the rich (best O line in the league in Dallas) get richer.

Grigson needs to be held accountable if the line still stinks come week 1.  This is his 4th year.  Enough is enough.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you want him held accountable? The only real way to do that is to fire him and I doubt Irsay is going to fire Grigson over the line after week one given grigson's total body of work since he came here.

Is the line something to be concerned about? Sure. Is it worth firing the GM who took them from 2-14 to the AFC Title game in three years? Probably not.

Based on what I've seen in preseason thus far, the offensive line is a complete mess.  Now, what I want to know is:

Why the hell didn't we sign La'el Collins?  Or Incognito??  Or Mathis who's still available?!?

Yes, we got Herremans, who thus far has looked highly suspect.  Everyone else named above is much better.  Collins more than anyone bothers me.  A first round, possibly top 5 pick is available in FA and we show minimal interest?  Grigson should have thrown in the kitchen sink to get him to sign here.  Instead, the rich (best O line in the league in Dallas) get richer.

Grigson needs to be held accountable if the line still stinks come week 1.  This is his 4th year.  Enough is enough.

Drink too much apple juice tonight? The line looked OK to me. Luck had time, and Gore got some yards. Take a chill pill. Are you new to watching the Colts in preseason? I can't ever remember the team looking good in preseason. Good lord man, relax.

I don't get Grigson. We let Cherilus walk.. Fine, I get it. He wasn't worth the price tag.

But why is Donald Thomas STILL here? Jack Mewhort was our best guard and he played pretty well as a rookie. We should of did more to either snatch another Guard to replace Mewhort, or replace Cherilus.

The offensive line is a mess.. as it has been since Luck arrived.

You can have all the running backs, receivers and even an elite QB on your side, but without an offensive line.. none of that matters.

Drink too much apple juice tonight? The line looked OK to me. Luck had time, and Gore got some yards. Take a chill pill. Are you new to watching the Colts in preseason? I can't ever remember the team looking good in preseason. Good lord man, relax.

whats been lost in the pre-season is that the Colts have done a good job running the ball. Over 4 yards per carry tonight and over 100 yards. Also the offense looks like it has been focused on working on the run. I don't think we have seen anything close to the offense we are going to see once the season starts. Line has been sloppy in pass protection at times but run blocking wise they have been pretty good.

The offensive line is a mess.. as it has been since Luck arrived.

Nobody....and I mean nobody could possible articulate a sensible argument against what you said there. As I said above, I would give things time to flesh out, but I fear we're not going to be treated to a considerably better O-line performance in 2015. 

I'll say it right now; If Luck gets suffers a considerable injury from getting hit (a freakin' miracle and a testament to his toughness that this hasn't happened already), that's when Grigs will feel the intense heat. 

How do you want him held accountable? The only real way to do that is to fire him and I doubt Irsay is going to fire Grigson over the line after week one given grigson's total body of work since he came here.

Is the line something to be concerned about? Sure. Is it worth firing the GM who took them from 2-14 to the AFC Title game in three years? Probably not.

Luck got us to to the AFC title game, not Grigson. Yes, Grigson has done some good, mainly in the draft here and there (and of course the Vontae trade). But he's also done some REALLY bad (blowing two 1st round picks on Trent and Werner, signing Landry, Francois, DHB, not re-signing Bethea, and the list goes on).

But this thread is about Grigson not fixing the O line. He's had 4 years. How much more time does he deserve? This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. Grigson had ample opportunity this offseason to do so yet he ignored it almost entirely.

whats been lost in the pre-season is that the Colts have done a good job running the ball. Over 4 yards per carry tonight and over 100 yards. Also the offense looks like it has been focused on working on the run. I don't think we have seen anything close to the offense we are going to see once the season starts. Line has been sloppy in pass protection at times but run blocking wise they have been pretty good.

Absolutely correct.  Completely agree with everything you set out above. 

Luck got us to to the AFC title game, not Grigson. Yes, Grigson has done some good, mainly in the draft here and there (and of course the Vontae trade). But he's also done some REALLY bad (blowing two 1st round picks on Trent and Werner, signing Landry, Francois, DHB, not re-signing Bethea, and the list goes on).

But this thread is about Grigson not fixing the O line. He's had 4 years. How much more time does he deserve? This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. Grigson had ample opportunity this offseason to do so yet he ignored it almost entirely.

QBs alone don't get you to title games. They have to have players around them. Who do you think put those players around Luck?

Sure he's had his short comings, all GMs are going to have them, which is why can't get too wrapped up in one move or one position. You have to look at the whole body of work and his body of work shows three playoff trips in three years, two division titles, three playoff wins, and a trip to the AFC Title game in three years coming off a 2-14 season. Clearly he's doing something right. So I don't think you fire him just because of the o-line. Does it need to get better? Yes, in pass protection especially. However, I would be very careful not to over react to a pre-season game, we shall see what the season brings. If it brings more post season success even with a subpar line I am guessing Grigson is going to keep getting cracks at fixing it.

It's pre season. Luck is one of the great QBs in the league but he didn't take the Colts to the AFCCG by himself.

Grigson owes nothing to nobody except Irsay.

And it's the freaking pre-season, for crying out loud.

A year ago we went 0-4.     To be the best of my recollection,  2014 turned out to be a pretty good year.

So, at this point,  while I'm not thrilled with what I've seen,  I recognize it's pre-season and there's a long, long way to go.

A season is a marathon and not a sprint.    

Grigson owes nothing to nobody except Irsay.

And it's the freaking pre-season, for crying out loud.

A year ago we went 0-4. To be the best of my recollection, 2014 turned out to be a pretty good year.

So, at this point, while I'm not thrilled with what I've seen, I recognize it's pre-season and there's a long, long way to go.

A season is a marathon and not a sprint.

I just want to say I'd feel better about having liked your post had you not included the "season is a marathon..." line...again [emoji14]. Lol

I get the offensive line concerns.  I do.

But . . . our offensive line was very, very solid with its pass blocking during the Cincinnati and Denver playoff games last year.

And thus far, I'm encouraged by the #1 line's run blocking.

QBs alone don't get you to title games. They have to have players around them. Who do you think put those players around Luck?

Sure he's had his short comings, all GMs are going to have them, which is why can't get too wrapped up in one move or one position. You have to look at the whole body of work and his body of work shows three playoff trips in three years, two division titles, three playoff wins, and a trip to the AFC Title game in three years coming off a 2-14 season. Clearly he's doing something right. So I don't think you fire him just because of the o-line. Does it need to get better? Yes, in pass protection especially. However, I would be very careful not to over react to a pre-season game, we shall see what the season brings. If it brings more post season success even with a subpar line I am guessing Grigson is going to keep getting cracks at fixing it.

This team wins 2 games without Luck. Matt Millen would be able to put a winning team together with Luck at the helm. So let's not overrate Grigson. The biggest red flag with him is blowing BACK TO BACK first round picks. That would not happen with a truly competent GM. I don't hate the guy but I think depending on the outcome of this season, it might be worth taking a look at someone new.

So La'el Collins wanted to be in Indy but Grigson said "No"? Didn't know that. And why 33 years old guard is still available?

i said in another thread it could be Grigson knows something we don't about Mathis. It could be Grigson feels he's done. The Eagles did releases him and while he's visiting other teams no one is exactly tripping over themselves to sign him.

So La'el Collins wanted to be in Indy but Grigson said "No"? Didn't know that. And why 33 years old guard is still available?

No my point was Grigson didn't actively pursue/recruit him. I heard there was minimal interest or something along those lines. When someone like that falls into FA at a ridiculously affordable price, in a position of EXTREME need, YOU GO AND GET HIM.

This team wins 2 games without Luck. Matt Millen would be able to put a winning team together with Luck at the helm. So let's not overrate Grigson. The biggest red flag with him is blowing BACK TO BACK first round picks. That would not happen with a truly competent GM. I don't hate the guy but I think depending on the outcome of this season, it might be worth taking a look at someone new.

i got news for you other than the 07 Pats with Brady who were the exception take away a teams franchise QB that is built around a franchise QB and they aren't winning many games. That's why they get paid such crazy money. There is no question Luck is the best player on the Colts roster but he is far from the only good one and Grigson brought most of those other good ones here so again clearly he's doing something right.

Bill Polian just went into pro football Hall of Fame and he blew two first round picks in one draft with Gonso and Ugoh. Last time I checked he's a competent GM. So yes even Hall of Fame GMs can blow back-to-back first round picks. Grigson isn't perfect, I never said he was. He has and will make mistakes. ALL GMs do. However, clearly he's dong something right or the Colts wouldn't keep winning games and keep going deeper into playoffs. If we are going to over react to something I would much rather over react to playoff performances than a meaningless pre-season game.

Honestly when I have watched the colts offense this pre-season it has been run heavy to the point I think the Colts are focusing on that than truly running their offense. Then when they have to pass they aren't keeping people into block which is probably part of the problem. I think the Colts are using the pre-season as testing and everything we see should be taken with a grain of salt. We are going to know week one how big of an issue the oline truly is, and while I keep saying it needs to get better, especially pass blocking, I don't think it's so bad you fire the GM over it.

Collins was 'blackballed' for the draft. After he was exonerated there was ALOT of interest  from ALOT of teams.  Also Grigson drafts not just off skill, but personal background.  there was probably more that Grigson didn't like.

Secondly....There seems no issue with the run game.  over 4.5 YPC for Gore and Robinson seems good to me, i'd take it.  

Thirdly....it is preseason.  1 guy learning a new position, another trying first time as a starter, and yet another a new different system and teammates.  Give them time to learn each other and their positions...

If this was week 4 of reg. season,...I'd say you have something to complain about, but right now...you're picking a blossom before it becomes a fruit.

Wasn't Grigs an o-lineman? The lack of addressing the issue for years now seems puzzling.... :bored:

Well he wasn't a very good one so........I'm sensing a trend. 

I support Grigs for what it's worth, but O-line seems a strange unit for him to not be pouring more effort (and money) into. One of our better O-lineman isn't even his pick (AC).

I'm a Grigson fan, don't get me wrong. I just don't understand how he can ignore such an important unit so blatantly.

Also you can consider me part of the "Sign Mathis" crew. Don't give me that "we want to develop our young players" nonsense when you have signed Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Todd Herremans, and Trent Cole in the same offseason. Go tell Moncrief/Ballard/Herron/Newsome etc that you're looking to develop the young guys.

Wasn't expecting much from the o line to begin with because of the reshuffling this year and it will take time to gel. Mewhort is going to have his ups and downs moving to RT. The biggest plus this year will be if we can keep a consistent healthy line that learn to play with each other.

There are some rational thoughts in a sea of chicken little nonsense of a thread.

Mewhort is in his 3rd professional game at RT.  There are going to be growing pains as he learns.  It is important to remember that he is not as good now as he will be as the season progresses. They can coach him, work with him and develop his game.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with just the idea that Donald Thomas is still on the roster.  Is it that hard to understand that they think he has some talent and can contribute if he is healthy?  Big if I know but what is the cost of him being on the roster / PUP now?  It is obvious - they want to see what he can do when he gets back and if the answer is not much then they cut him.  If he can play, well kooky there - more talent for the o'line.

The entire league has passed on Evan Mathis for the time being.  No wants to pay his price at his age - or at least no one is desperate enough to do that yet.  Many people here have bashed Grigson for not making the effort - how do you know he has not inquired and found the price too high and not worth the ROI?

And the Joe Reitz love is a bit lost on me.  Good player, not great.  You can certainly do better than him so why not try?  They can always go back to him if necessitated by injury or if someone plays himself of the line.

I think Grigson is right when it comes to continuity.  They have talent along the line but it has been so shuffled over the years by injuries and coaching decisions that it is hard to get an accurate read on the unit as a whole.  It is not an unreasonable thought at all to decide on a starting 5 and let them gel together as a unit.  The results may surprise.

Thank you!  Of course all of us were experts at our job the very first day we showed up

There are some rational thoughts in a sea of chicken little nonsense of a thread.

Mewhort is in his 3rd professional at RT.  There are going to be growing pains as he learns.  It is important to remember that he is not as good now as he will be as the season progresses. They can coach him, work with him and develop his game.

Collins was 'blackballed' for the draft. After he was exonerated there was ALOT of interest from ALOT of teams. Also Grigson drafts not just off skill, but personal background. there was probably more that Grigson didn't like.

Secondly....There seems no issue with the run game. over 4.5 YPC for Gore and Robinson seems good to me, i'd take it.

Thirdly....it is preseason. 1 guy learning a new position, another trying first time as a starter, and yet another a new different system and teammates. Give them time to learn each other and their positions...

If this was week 4 of reg. season,...I'd say you have something to complain about, but right now...you're picking a blossom before it becomes a fruit.

Exactly it's our second PRESEASON GAME. We need to get to week 1 healthy that really should be our only concern. The lines will get worked out. We have a good team better than last yr.

It's comical the crying on here. We didn't get Collins or Mathis blah blah blah It's like no one has seen preseason football before

His overall body of work isn't Iimpressive thus far. Its not just that he has made mistakes, but some of the mistakes a truly head scratching.