Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vick Ballard Against The Bears

AmberDerrow

Jim, Pags and Griggs loved Vick Ballard.  I did as well.  That said, I think it is important to see him play.  

Ballard is now injury prone.  If we keep 4 backs and he is one of them...it could soon be three.(IR yet again)

On a related note, I did not agree with many Colt fans about Zurlon Tipton.  He ran extremely hard in that preseason game.  I think he got tired do to getting hit so much.  He had also run over a couple of guys too.  So whomever said he was TRich revisited...go back to sleep.   :)  ZZZZZZZZZ!   :)

Why?

If he's cut, it's because he has health issues, and Gore/Robinson/Boom have more upside at this point. Also don't forget that the only season Ballard was healthy was when Arians was still our OC. He still has yet to play a meaningful down in Pep's system.

Having said that, I also don't think it's unreasonable to think the Colts carry 4 RBs. So he still has a shot, but also has a lot to prove before the first round of cuts.

This is his last chance to show something, so I fancy he will get enough playing time to show what he can do.

"Showing something" (meaning his ability) isn't the issue. We all know he can play damn good. Can he stay upright for more than a few games, that's the only outlier. 

he got 20 touches and only got 56 yards. thats pathetic

I have no idea if Tipton will make the team.     Maybe yes, and maybe no.

But I seriously doubt he gets cut based on the first pre-season game, when the whole team played pretty poorly and the fact that Tipton played reasonably well during the regular season.       

Regular season is more important than pre-season.

But I seriously doubt he gets cut based on the first pre-season game, when the whole team played pretty poorly and the fact that Tipton played reasonably well during the regular season.       

course not. he'll get more chances, but hes off to a bad start and I expect ballard and robinson to get a lot of reps on saturday

Haven't seen him on the field in 2 seasons. He needs to be out there or he's going to be cut.

I agree with you it is crazy to think just because he can stay upright he is going to make the team. He needs to show that he can still ball. It is more  than just being healthy.

He stunk in the regular season 10 carries for 18 yards It was the playoffs he actually got more touches and looked better. He averaged 3.8 on around 30 carries I believe.

I don't think he gets cut because of the first preseason game. The team as a whole didn't look that great. I  think we can do better. I want to see Varga and Toure get some real carries and a  more of JR.

Gore rarely plays in the preseason so there should be carries to be had. I hope they are dished out a little differently than the coaches did on Saturday.

if Ballard performs well this pre season and stays healthy, I wouldn't mind seeing a three headed monster of Gore, Ballard, and Robinson.

I'm not a big fan of running one guy in the ground, especially with the injury issues this team

has had with RB's over the past decade and a half.

We kinda ran Bradshaw to IR last season with his amount of reps, especially with his injury history.

The more the workload is spread around the better in order to keep guys healthy.

I'm not a big fan of running one guy in the ground, especially with the injury issues this team

We kinda ran Bradshaw to IR last season with his amount of reps, especially with his injury history.

The more the workload is spread around the better in order to keep guys healthy.

exactly, plus with their running styles.....the opposing D will be sick of trying to tackle them towards the end of the game.

Bradshaw had 90 attempts through 10 games, good for a whopping 9 attempts a game. Also, his injury happened when a cheap butt Patriot twisted his ankle in a pile. So, yeah, he wasn't "run into the ground", far from it.

He'll get cut because there are three, more talented backs ahead of him. Robinson's proven he has the moves and the elusiveness, something that has been desperately needed for years from the Colts backfield- not to mention he can block well. Gore needs no introduction and Boom proved he can be a threat late last season when given the chance. I read an article earlier about the tough decisions needing to be made on the Colts roster between Ballard and Robinson. To me, there's nothing tough about it. Robinson is the future of this team and a draft pick. He is a sparkplug with shiftiness to get extra yards on his own. Tipton has shown me next to nothing. I'm sorry. And I can't trust the injury prone Ballard at this point. Two major injuries consecutive years is no coincidence. The guy hasn't even played a meaningful down of football under Pep Hamilton.

If he is ready Im sure he will play plenty against the Bears but at this point I don't think its a must that he plays against the Bears, What matters is he is healthy or not. If healthy we know he can produce, He wont get cut August 1st because regardless if he plays against the Bears or not. I also think we carry 4 Backs. If healthy I see no reason he would not be that 4th Back at this point.....Plus there is PUP

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 21, 2015 - masked profanity
Hidden by Nadine, August 21, 2015 - masked profanity

Bradshaw had 90 attempts through 10 games, good for a whopping 9 attempts a game. Also, his injury happened when a cheap butt Patriot twisted his ankle in a pile. So, yeah, he wasn't "run into the ground", far from it.

^^^ Any truth to this? If so, I didn't think I could hate those cheatin' b*****ds any more.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 21, 2015 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, August 21, 2015 - quoting removed post

^^^ Any truth to this? If so, I didn't think I could hate those cheatin' b*****ds any more.

Its possible it happened, The play was at the goal line, He ran the ball and didn't get it in and looked to get bent possibly backwards but I didn't see any twisting of an ankle and I just watched the play

He'll get cut because there are three, more talented backs ahead of him. Robinson's proven he has the moves and the elusiveness, something that has been desperately needed for years from the Colts backfield- not to mention he can block well. Gore needs no introduction and Boom proved he can be a threat late last season when given the chance. I read an article earlier about the tough decisions needing to be made on the Colts roster between Ballard and Robinson. To me, there's nothing tough about it. Robinson is the future of this team and a draft pick. He is a sparkplug with shiftiness to get extra yards on his own. Tipton has shown me next to nothing. I'm sorry. And I can't trust the injury prone Ballard at this point. Two major injuries consecutive years is no coincidence. The guy hasn't even played a meaningful down of football under Pep Hamilton.

And what if the Colts decide they want a 4th running back?

You skipped that possibility.......

Says logic. You really expect a running back to return to form after back to back serious injuries? One being a torn ACL and a torn Achilles? A torn Achilles is one of the most devastating injuries that an athlete can suffer. Torn ACL's aren't exactly a cakewalk either.

That's not logic. That's you applying an arbitrary number/limit to something that as of yet is unclear. 

Says logic. You really expect a running back to return to form after back to back serious injuries? One being a torn ACL and a torn Achilles? A torn Achilles is one of the most devastating injuries that an athlete can suffer. Torn ACL's aren't exactly a cakewalk either.

Be careful with logic on this board. The fact is no RB has come all the way back from an Achilles injury. Ballard not being a star also true except on this forum.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000224126/article/achilles-tendon-tear-a-death-knell-for-running-backs

And what if the Colts decide they want a 4th running back?

You skipped that possibility.......

Possible, yes. I would keep Ballard at that point given what I've seen. There's something very uninspiring about Tipton for whatever reason. With Boom and Robinson, there is a spark that is evident even given a small sample size. They have the ability to create those extra yards (IMO, and for whatever it's worth...)