Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles/Colts game blocking…

Douzer

I just watched the game again and from my lazyboy recliner…

O-Line play:

Lance Louis played fantastic at LG. Really good; he and Castonzo were solid on the left side. Mewhort did very well overall at tackle. Twice however, pass rushers got into his chest and power drove him backwards, both times he got his body positioned well, he just stood too tall and got his weight back a little. Herremans also got bulled back a few times and blundered some run blocking. Holmes was not good. He was slow and unenergetic. On pass blocking he was slow to make contact and ended up side blocking as he lost ground. On runs he was slow to make contact and was discarded routinely. He just didn’t get after it, get engaged and stay engaged, drive, position himself. He was just not getting anything accomplished. Harrison on the other hand was kicking butt. He was the opposite; his hands were on the defender faster than anyone on the line and unlike Holmes, once he got his paws on somebody, it was on. His pass blocking and run blocking were hands down better than Holmes. He’s simply quicker, stronger and way more energetic. Reitz was a rock as usual and did everything well. Good made a couple of read errors, but he is a man among men. His strength, mixed with his athleticism is exciting. Even the times he was a little out of position and had to side block it was impressive. He popped those paws out and guys were knocked off whatever advantage they thought they had. Man-on-man, more like, man-on-bear. I’m jumping all over his bandwagon. Thornton is stronger than the other guards, but he slow to react, engage, adjust, adapt, etc. He got time on both sides and played right side better than left, but like Holmes he needs an energy drink or cattle prod. The other guards were harder to judge late in the game. John at LT had two disaster plays where he was beaten very badly and quickly. His run blocking was decent.

TE’s:

Fleener has not improved much if any. Any number of plays were collapsed backside from his missed or minor blocking endeavors. Doyle on the other hand seems to enjoy blasting LB’s and pulling with the guards. He seems to always nail would be tacklers, no matter what counter moves they make. Allen likes to bang as well and did so effectively.

RB:

Tipton seemed solid and Robinson looked top-notch.

WR:

I didn’t look too closely, but noted Carter using his body very well against corners on a number of plays late. That bigger body could add some additional points in his favor.

Who else has had the opportunity to look it over again? What did you notice?

I did not realize until the Colts post, Good played by far the most snap counts of any player on the field Sunday -75%-.  Plus, he may have quietly and unceremoniously had the best overall day of any Colt. 

Yes he made a couple read errors at the snap, but like you said, he quickly made up for them and did not let them effect the outcome of the play.  He made one mistake the entire game, a false start.  But that can be chalked up to being in there so much for a rookie.  His power cannot be questioned.  he pushed d-linemen with just his arms.  If he learns to get low and use that size and strength in run blocking, the guy is going to be pushing for a starting job.  -granted it is early, only 1 preseason game exp, but he had alot of playing time to evaluate him.-

I did not realize until the Colts post, Good played by far the most snap counts of any player on the field Sunday -75%-.  Plus, he may have quietly and unceremoniously had the best overall day of any Colt. 

Yes he made a couple read errors at the snap, but like you said, he quickly made up for them and did not let them effect the outcome of the play.  He made one mistake the entire game, a false start.  But that can be chalked up to being in there so much for a rookie.  His power cannot be questioned.  he pushed d-linemen with just his arms.  If he learns to get low and use that size and strength in run blocking, the guy is going to be pushing for a starting job.  -granted it is early, only 1 preseason game exp, but he had alot of playing time to evaluate him.-

The most interesting missed read by Good was the play Robinson scored on. He had a TE on his right, and a defender on his nose, as did the TE. Good blocked the defender on the TE instead of the man in front of him. That defender stepped right into the backfield and squared up at Robinson. What happened next was awesome, Robinson moved straight at him until it looked like their face masks would touch. Then, he cut left so quickly the defender ended with nothing but air. If you can take your eyes off Robinson on the highlight tape, you'll see the Good error and some awesome RB instincts.

O-Line play:

Lance Louis played fantastic at LG. Really good; he and Castonzo were solid on the left side. Mewhort did very well overall at tackle. Twice however, pass rushers got into his chest and power drove him backwards, both times he got his body positioned well, he just stood too tall and got his weight back a little. Herremans also got bulled back a few times and blundered some run blocking. Holmes was not good. He was slow and unenergetic. On pass blocking he was slow to make contact and ended up side blocking as he lost ground. On runs he was slow to make contact and was discarded routinely. He just didn’t get after it, get engaged and stay engaged, drive, position himself. He was just not getting anything accomplished. Harrison on the other hand was kicking butt. He was the opposite; his hands were on the defender faster than anyone on the line and unlike Holmes, once he got his paws on somebody, it was on. His pass blocking and run blocking were hands down better than Holmes. He’s simply quicker, stronger and way more energetic. Reitz was a rock as usual and did everything well. Good made a couple of read errors, but he is a man among men. His strength, mixed with his athleticism is exciting. Even the times he was a little out of position and had to side block it was impressive. He popped those paws out and guys were knocked off whatever advantage they thought they had. Man-on-man, more like, man-on-bear. I’m jumping all over his bandwagon. Thornton is stronger than the other guards, but he slow to react, engage, adjust, adapt, etc. He got time on both sides and played right side better than left, but like Holmes he needs an energy drink or cattle prod. The other guards were harder to judge late in the game. John at LT had two disaster plays where he was beaten very badly and quickly. His run blocking was decent.

TE’s:

Fleener has not improved much if any. Any number of plays were collapsed backside from his missed or minor blocking endeavors. Doyle on the other hand seems to enjoy blasting LB’s and pulling with the guards. He seems to always nail would be tacklers, no matter what counter moves they make. Allen likes to bang as well and did so effectively.

RB:

WR:

I didn’t look too closely, but noted Carter using his body very well against corners on a number of plays late. That bigger body could add some additional points in his favor.

A fair read of it.

Agree about Thornton & Holmes. Not mentally or physically there. The were disappointing.

Lance Louis was pretty solid, but pulling to the right he just isn`t fast enough. Opponents will notice and have an advantage.

I am glad we have 3 more games to see what we got.

The most interesting missed read by Good was the play Robinson scored on. He had a TE on his right, and a defender on his nose, as did the TE. Good blocked the defender on the TE instead of the man in front of him. That defender stepped right into the backfield and squared up at Robinson. What happened next was awesome, Robinson moved straight at him until it looked like their face masks would touch. Then, he cut left so quickly the defender ended with nothing but air. If you can take your eyes off Robinson on the highlight tape, you'll see the Good error and some awesome RB instincts.

I was watching that play over and over, and Good was in a bad predicament there.   the TE did not block the LB/DE at all so good had two choices.  he saw both if you watch his helmet movement. he first was on his guy, then saw the outside guy coming free.  looked like he tried to block the outside -probably faster guy- instead of the larger guy in front of him.  his block may have actually saved the play because if he had blocked the guy in front of him instead, the outside guy would have already been at an angle where a side-step that Robinson had done would not have worked. Blocking the outside guy though allowed Robinson to side-step a larger slower defender.  I'm not sure it was a misread....I think it was the correct call on his part.

O-Line play:

TE’s:

RB:

WR:

This has been my problem with Holmes all along.  I think he's the best C on the team...when he tries and actually finds a motor.  But sadly, most of the time, he's just going through the motions

I agree with everything except for Tipton. He looked extremely slow to me. His catch for (I think 11 yards) he stuck the tackler pretty good, but his running wasn't exciting to watch IMO.

This thread is about blocking. He's saying Tipton's blocking was "solid", that's all.