Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Graham prepares to block “75 percent” of the time

amfootball

I really don't get this. Why would the Seahawks sign Graham to all that money and then have him blocking this much? Not to mention blocking is not a strength of his game just ask Bogie who I hope weighs in on this.

Why not go out and sign a cheap blocking TE for the run game and have Graham going out for passes on play action off the run?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/03/jimmy-graham-prepares-to-block-75-percent-of-the-time/

Typical pre-season nonsense. Jimmy Graham is who he is, an extremely large wide out who occasionaly lines up at tight end, not an in-line blocking tight end.

I'm guessing he doesn't line up at TE much.  I wouldn't be surprised if they split him out wide like 80% of the time.

He's there to allow Russell Wilson to actually throw the ball from the pocket a little bit more.  Instead of what he does now which is drop back, look and see that all his receivers are blanketed and make a run for it.  

I'm guessing he doesn't line up at TE much.  I wouldn't be surprised if they split him out wide like 80% of the time.

He's there to allow Russell Wilson to actually throw the ball from the pocket a little bit more.  Instead of what he does now which is drop back, look and see that all his receivers are blanketed and make a run for it.  

He said he will be blocking 75 percent of the time which means he will be lining up at TE, inline and blocking which is his worst skillset.

I don't know if I buy this. Seattle will probably use him the way they use their short passes, which is what he's good at. Those roll outs they love to do with Wilson throwing a short pass.

Graham's strength is not blocking. Last year, the Saints were not even using him to block, they played him mostly as a wide receiver. Our running backs last year were blocking more than he did. 

We will see when the season starts. I expect to see Graham become quite useful for Wilson in short routes. 

He said he will be blocking 75 percent of the time which means he will be lining up at TE, inline and blocking which is his worst skillset.

If over a course of a season Jimmy Graham blocks and only blocks on over 75% of the snaps he takes I'll quit the forum.  

Typical camp fodder bluster of a non story. 

If over a course of a season Jimmy Graham blocks and only blocks on over 75% of the snaps he takes I'll quit the forum.  

Typical camp fodder bluster of a non story. 

Totally agree, you can't count on any of this stuff to turn out to be true.  

The seahawks would be stupid to use Graham in a primarily blocking role.  I mean if they wanted that kind of TE they should have floated us a trade for Dwayne Allen.

Totally agree, you can't count on any of this stuff to turn out to be true.  

The seahawks would be stupid to use Graham in a primarily blocking role.  I mean if they wanted that kind of TE they should have floated us a trade for Dwayne Allen.

Or picked up Clay in FA.....

Heck if you want a TE to block 75% of the time you might as well shove a skinny swing tackle out there. 

They brought Graham in for a Redzone presence and to give Wilson the huge safety valve that is having a receiver that when all else fails you can just throw it up even if he is contested and know he more than likely will come down with it. No one questions his pass catching ability, he certainly bailed out Brees a few times.

Do you really think a savvy organisation is going to take a player of his level, and make the do the thing they are worse at, completely illogical.  

The Seahawks passing offense is a lot of times high risk high reward offense when RW is in the pocket. If he is not in the pocket, the rollouts and short passes or RW runs to keep the chains moving is low risk. Otherwise, when the Packers and Patriots (less successful in keeping RW in the pocket than the Packers)  confine him to the pocket, their passing offense is based on jump balls that their wideouts go up and get it and RW puts it mostly where his wideouts can only get it.

They saw what they could do when Chris Mathews went up for those jump balls and came down with it for key catches and an end zone TD before the half, however it was against #3 CBs. The problem was, the other wide outs did not have the physicality to pose a threat against top notch man CBs. Instead of rolling the dice on a WR3 in their not so stellar wide out corp, they decided to invest in a red zone TE target who can catch the same jump balls that RW likes to throw. However, the Seahawks used to tease Jimmy Graham saying that he was soft (I remember when Belichick used Talib to shut him down). Let us see if he continues being soft when the going gets tough.

I am also sure in a year or two, Tyler Lockette will make Baldwin or Kearse expendable

I'm really tired of editorialized headlines. Not just this thread title, but all the headlines on this "story" everywhere. 

What he actually said: "It's very important for me to be a part of that here because that's about 75 percent of the offense here."

What he didn't say: I'll be blocking 75% of the time.

1) It's an exaggeration. The Seahawks run the ball a lot, but nowhere near 75% of the time. They ran 1,021 plays last year, and only 525 resulted in rushing attempts. That includes QB scrambles, keepers, etc. That's 51.4%. So let's scratch 75% right now.

2) Jimmy Graham won't be on the field for every offensive play, and you can bet that a majority of the plays he's off the field for will be run plays.

His whole point was that blocking is important, and he's going to do a lot of it and work hard at it. Anyone who thinks he'll be blocking 75% of the time isn't paying attention. 

I'm really tired of editorialized headlines. Not just this thread title, but all the headlines on this "story" everywhere. 

What he actually said: "It's very important for me to be a part of that here because that's about 75 percent of the offense here."

What he didn't say: I'll be blocking 75% of the time.

1) It's an exaggeration. The Seahawks run the ball a lot, but nowhere near 75% of the time. They ran 1,021 plays last year, and only 525 resulted in rushing attempts. That includes QB scrambles, keepers, etc. That's 51.4%. So let's scratch 75% right now.

2) Jimmy Graham won't be on the field for every offensive play, and you can bet that a majority of the plays he's off the field for will be run plays.

His whole point was that blocking is important, and he's going to do a lot of it and work hard at it. Anyone who thinks he'll be blocking 75% of the time isn't paying attention. 

Thread title was straight from ESPN ...