Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Geathers subbing in for DQ?

RockThatBlue

I like it.  

I know many were upset when we passed on the Bama safety (Collins I think).  Thing is, I figure Grigson had his sights set on this kid and new where he could get him.  I don't know much about them, but I have to figure that it looks like this guy is panning out as Grigson must've figured.  And he definitely would seem to have the size to be an nearly adequate replacement for a MLB on long third downs.

I like it.  

I know many were upset when we passed on the Bama safety (Collins I think).  Thing is, I figure Grigson had his sights set on this kid and new where he could get him.  I don't know much about them, but I have to figure that it looks like this guy is panning out as Grigson must've figured.  And he definitely would seem to have the size to be an nearly adequate replacement for a MLB on long third downs.

You never know when a player might get drafted, but I thought Geathers was a 6th round kind of guy. To me, it says something that Grigson took him in the fourth.

This is gonna be an interesting year watching Manusky call this defense. Lot of talent, lot of versatile players. We'll see how he manages them

Between Manusky on defense and Pep on offense, I hope we have to most creative coaches in the league next year.  We've got talent on both sides of the ball to really mix things up.

You never know when a player might get drafted, but I thought Geathers was a 6th round kind of guy. To me, it says something that Grigson took him in the fourth.

I think playing at UCF may have hurt Geathers.  He was a combine top-performer for safeties in vertical leap and bench press, and ran a 4.5+ forty.  At 6'2", 220 lbs. with his athleticism, he certainly has the build and physical ability to be an NFL player.  The knocks on him were mostly due to mental lapses and poor decision making. 

Pagano has been known to be a defensive back guru, and I am really hoping that he and Grigson just saw things that proper coaching could fix.  I wonder with a player like Geathers (size/athleticism) if going to a bigger school with (perhaps) better coaches would have done wonders for his development.

The more I read about Geathers, the more and more I like the Lowery signing.  Geathers is going to be exposed to a lot of different positions (from the sounds of it) and I don't think we are in a real rush to get major production from a 4th rounder next year -- of course it would be nice to see him become a big time play maker right away, but the Lowery signing allows Geathers to develop the mental aspect of his game without major urgency.

I wouldn't read too much into this?   At least,  not yet.    It's situational football.

A linebacker goes out on passing down for an added safety.      I don't think we've re-invented the wheel here.     This is done other places as well.

Geathers has the size and speed to do it...    great.    Now let's find out if he can do it well enough as a rookie.....

I wouldn't read too much into this? At least, not yet. It's situational football.

A linebacker goes out on passing down for an added safety. I don't think we've re-invented the wheel here. This is done other places as well.

Geathers has the size and speed to do it... great. Now let's find out if he can do it well enough as a rookie.....

No one is saying that it's reinventing the wheel. The defense was exposed too often by tight ends last year, and if Geathers could play well in this spot, it would improve the coverage with Jackson coming out.

No one is saying that it's reinventing the wheel. The defense was exposed too often by tight ends last year, and if Geathers could play well in this spot, it would improve the coverage with Jackson coming out.

This. It shows the FO and coaching staff drafted a player to fill a glaring weakness last year. A weakness that was made worse by the need to blitz a ton to generate a pass rush, which Cole, a healthy Mathis, and more experienced Newsome are meant to fix. If all that works out the D will be better.

Geathers also has long-term starter potential.

Yeah, Absolutely.  Personally, I think running downs should have D. Jackson and Irving as the MLB's, and Geathers and Freeman subbing for them on passing downs.  Freeman is a solid coverage LB.  -he dropped off late last year cause of multiple injuries.-  But he lacks as a run stopper.

I wonder who are NASCAR front is going to be. Chapman will sit, but I wonder if Manusky would drop Langford for another pass rusher in our Dime package.

I don't remember us ever utilising a NASCAR personnell package.

I would love to see it on 3rd and long though, given that we now have enough capable pass-rushers to execute.

Geathers, has the ability and the strength to cover tight ends so as mentioned earlier this is situational football.

We need someone that hit these tight ends hard and a 6'2 210 Safety might be a stop gap against the better tight ends this season

Geathers is listed as a mediocre tackler but working with professional coaches may help him with that

What would you all think of this?

Stephen Holder ‏@HolderStephen

A prediction based on camp so far: D'Qwell Jackson will sit out quite a few 3rd downs, with Clayton Geathers subbing as a box safety/LB

Old news. He did it at mini-camp.

Likely 3rd and 6 or longer.

DQ has issues in pass coverage Obviously.

So try it. It will at least be great long term experience.

Doubt it, considering Pagano's been hyping Langford's pass rush skills since OTA's.

Don't watch Langford highlights. Watch the Rams defense highlights. Langford was a wrecking ball. Always causing pressure and in the backfield. I actually thinks he's underrated.