Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerrell Freeman = Bobby Wagner?

BProland85

I was looking at the career stat comparison in light of Wagner's new massive contract which pays him 10-11 mil per year.

Bobby Wagner: 364 tackles, 9 sacks, 5 ints, and 14 pass deflections

Jerrell Freeman: 366 tackles, 9 sacks, 3 ints, and 14 pass deflections

They are both 6-0, 240 pounds as well. Both started their full time NFL careers in 2012. The biggest difference is that Wagner is 25 and Freeman is 29.

I realize Freeman isn't as well thought of as Wagner is, but in light of Wagner's new deal, should the Colts dish out long term money to Freeman on a similar based contract? If he has a huge bounce back year, he could make the argument he should be.

I know the age difference plays into it, but the Colts have done this before where they overpaid for an aging LB in D'Qwell Jackson. I didn't write this post to say I think he will get this kind of money. I mostly made this post because I find it intriguing that both players have very similar stats and Wagner is one of the top players on that Seattle D.

I was looking at the career stat comparison in light of Wagner's new massive contract which pays him 10-11 mil per year.

Bobby Wagner: 364 tackles, 9 sacks, 5 ints, and 14 pass deflections

Jerrell Freeman: 366 tackles, 9 sacks, 3 ints, and 14 pass deflections

They are both 6-0, 240 pounds as well. Both started their full time NFL careers in 2012. The biggest difference is that Wagner is 25 and Freeman is 29.

I realize Freeman isn't as well thought of as Wagner is, but in light of Wagner's new deal, should the Colts dish out long term money to Freeman on a similar based contract? If he has a huge bounce back year, he could make the argument he should be.

Not no, but hell no.

Jerrell Freeman isn't half the player Wagner is.

Despite the disrespect and hate shown towards Freeman here 1 thing you have to take into account that those stats don't show is AGE....Freeman is 29 and will be 30 by the time he gets his next contract. Wagner just turned 25 two months ago. If Freeman was 25 and played like he did his first two years in the league then yes he would probably get a similar deal to Wagner and be worth it BUT he is 29 and will be 30 well before the season starts next year

The stats may be similar, but the played aren't. Freeman couldn't hold a candle to Wagner. Even if Freeman was 25, he's not as good as Wagner. Stats don't always tell the whole story. Geno Smith had less turnovers than Andrew Luck....

"Geno Smith had less turnovers than Andrew Luck...."

you could not have been more outrageous with this comparison, Comparing Freeman to Wagner is nowhere near comparing Luck to Geno....Not close

Sounds right I think as well given his age

His age is the primary reason, but I hope we can re-sign him. I like pairing him inside with Nate Irving. I don't see the Colts keeping Jackson around.. No need to keep three ILB's making over $3 million a year if Freeman gets an extension.

I expect a LB will be our 1st rd pick next draft.

No later than 2nd.

And we will move on from Freeman and DQ.

I think we will be moving on from DQ

If the price is right, we should try to keep Freeman.

But if we allow him to walk, I'm all in for going ILB or Safety very early in next year's draft.

Unless we can somehow snag Eric Weddle in free agency.

Regardless of his age, the disrespect towards Freeman on here is ridiculous.

its just truth not disrespect the homers on here think we have the best players at every position. People get mad when members call them out on there B S and call it disrespect when it's just true. Stop comparing our average players to all pros of other teams and you won't get called out

its just truth not disrespect the homers on here think we have the best players at every position. People get mad when members call them out on there B S and call it disrespect when it's just true. Stop comparing our average players to all pros of other teams and you won't get called out

I don't think we have the best players, but I also don't think freeman is as bad as every makes him seem neither

I don't think we have the best players, but I also don't think freeman is as bad as every makes him seem neither

I agree. He's not a tier 1 LB, but people on here make it appear as if he's a scrub. I wonder if people's opinion of Freeman would change if we had that Seattle defensive line lol.

"Geno Smith had less turnovers than Andrew Luck...."

you could not have been more outrageous with this comparison, Comparing Freeman to Wagner is nowhere near comparing Luck to Geno....Not close

I don't think that's what he was doing. He was illustrating how comparing numbers can be very misleading.

no one hates him? He's not as good as Wagner and he's also gonna be 30 before his next contract

not relating to the thread just in general theres been a lot of hate for freeman and when everyone loved him before he had a injury year which happens

Both are stat-eaters. Mostly plays up the field, getting beat, much like Pat Angerer. Both don't cover particularly well nor stop the run well.

freeman did both well in his first two years and everyone loved him now hes trash because of one injury year? guess what? it happens. 

I don't think that's what he was doing. He was illustrating how comparing numbers can be very misleading.

Even so he has similar game changing plays as Wagner....Though according to Football Outsiders Freeman played in 106 more regular season snaps then Wagner in 2014....and I don't really think Geno to Luck is a fair comparison. One QB is capable of putting up league leading passing numbers at any/every major QB stat every year(Or any single year) while the other QB is probably going to be fighting for a roster spot in the next year or 2. Besides he tried to illustrate how numbers are misleading but he did not show specific numbers showing the mislead

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14979/bobby-wagner

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11533/jerrell-freeman

He has similar TFL's

Also even by PFF's numbers in 2013 Freeman was good against the pass https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/29/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-linebackers/

I don't have the stats for 2014 of PFF but keep in mind Freeman was playing gimpy much of the year

no one said he was bad but comparing him to Wagner is a joke

I don't see how its a joke if both their stats are almost identical. if Wagner is that much more better then Freeman then why isn't his stats head n shoulders better then freeman's? Until Wagner put up better stats,I think its a fair comparison.

I don't see how its a joke if both their stats are almost identical. if Wagner is that much more better then Freeman then why isn't his stats head n shoulders better then freeman's? Until Wagner put up better stats,I think its a fair comparison.

Wagner is a top 5 linebacker. Freeman is OK but he's not exactly as good as Wagner. Although I'm not a freeman hater either, he's done well for the colts but he shouldn't be compared to Wagner. Just my 2 cents.

Wagner is a top 5 linebacker. Freeman is OK but he's not exactly as good as Wagner. Although I'm not a freeman hater either, he's done well for the colts but he shouldn't be compared to Wagner. Just my 2 cents.

I'm totally confused, he's a top 5 linebacker, BT has identical stats to freeman???? Then shouldn't that make Freeman a top 5 linebacker then????? What are you guys basing this off of? Potential??

This is proof that stats aren't everything.

With that said Freeman is underrated by a lot of fans.

I honestly agree. Freeman is average to above average at times, and he's decent at covering tight ends and not a horrible tackler. But that said, he's still not Wagner. Wagner is a top 5 (maybe even higher then that) linebacker.

Do you think Freeman is a top 5 linebacker?

If he is healthy he is a top 10 ILB

I'd say:

Bowman

Dansby

Kuechly

Sean Lee (If healthy)

Lawrence Timmons

All definitely better, Others sure you can argue but I think Freeman is in the discussion at ILB in the top 10