Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who gets the third RB spot?

RockThatBlue

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently watched JR against LSU. 194 yards. Most of those were after 1st contact. Took 2 or 3 too take him down..can't remember him tackled 1 on 1 that whole game.. He gashed LSU so much he was gassed. Impressive. He doesn't have breakaway speed but cud b a consistent 4 yd back. I expect him to be 2nd back by season end.

Recently watched JR against LSU. 194 yards. Most of those were after 1st contact. Took 2 or 3 too take him down..can't remember him tackled 1 on 1 that whole game.. He gashed LSU so much he was gassed. Impressive. He doesn't have breakaway speed but cud b a consistent 4 yd back. I expect him to be 2nd back by season end.

Yup. He was a big reason why MSU was number one for a good part of last year besides Dak.

Running backs don't come back from achilles It's not like Ballard was a pro bowler before the injury.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000224126/article/achilles-tendon-tear-a-death-knell-for-running-backs

Gore will be the work horse. Booms a fumble from not seing the field. He has a loose grip on the 2nd back. I wouldn't be surprised if JR takes his spot sooner than later

I could see us keeping 3 Gore JR Boom with Tipton on the PS. Varga might surprise. I see no reason for 4 backs on the 53 man. Gore will be the cow bell we have been looking for.

Then you must think that Mathis wont return either. 

Then you must think that Mathis wont return either.

No there have been players at other positions that have made it back. Terrell Suggs for example just not RB's If you read the link it provides a theory as to why it so difficult for RB's. The game is more taxing on that position. That's why RB's have shorter careers.

I am optimistic Mathis can provide something this year. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Lets just say Ballard IS healthy and we only keep 3 RB's.

Do we keep our draft pick in Robinson and cut Boom with the season he had

last year or do we place our potentially good draft pick on the practice squad

and take a chance of him being snatched up by another team?

Decisions decisions.....

Edited by SteelCityColt

Lets just say Ballard IS healthy and we only keep 3 RB's.

Do we keep our draft pick in Robinson and cut Boom with the season he had

last year or do we place our potentially good draft pick on the practice squad

and take a chance of him being snatched up by another team?

Decisions decisions.....

Keep in mind PS as well

he has 4.33 speed

Are you kidding? In what the 30 yard dash? He ran his 40 in 4.65 if he had 4.33 speed he would not have been there in the 6th round.

He is a power back like Pep wants. His measurables are pretty similar to Gore's.

Gore is 5'9 217 ran a 4.58 40. Josh is 5'8" 217 ran a 4.65 40.  I am not saying that JR is the next Gore just there are some similarities. We might have gotten lucky here. It was a deep draft for RB's.

Is the number 23 available? Grandmother raised him because father was not part of his life until high school and his mother was in and out of jail. His grandmother died when he was 12, though, so he bounced between relatives' homes -- and even in his own car. Has "23" tattooed on his chest because his grandmother died May 23, 2005, grandfather died May 23, 2004, and on Feb. 23, 2011 his mom was sentenced to 18 years in jail -- he also had his 1st 100-yard collegiate effort on Nov. 23, 2013.

I know Gore is wearing 23 just found all that interesting. I am rooting for the kid.

Are you kidding? In what the 30 yard dash? He ran his 40 in 4.65 if he had 4.33 speed he would not have been there in the 6th round.

He is a power back like Pep wants. His measurables are pretty similar to Gore's.

Gore is 5'9 217 ran a 4.58 40. Josh is 5'8" 217 ran a 4.65 40.  I am not saying that JR is the next Gore just there are some similarities. We might have gotten lucky here. It was a deep draft for RB's.

Is the number 23 available? Grandmother raised him because father was not part of his life until high school and his mother was in and out of jail. His grandmother died when he was 12, though, so he bounced between relatives' homes -- and even in his own car. Has "23" tattooed on his chest because his grandmother died May 23, 2005, grandfather died May 23, 2004, and on Feb. 23, 2011 his mom was sentenced to 18 years in jail -- he also had his 1st 100-yard collegiate effort on Nov. 23, 2013.

I know Gore is wearing 23 just found all that interesting. I am rooting for the kid.

Varga kinda fits this mold of a slow and power runner but he in no way sniffs the cut.

Maybe that is why he was picked up, because of his running style.

How is looking at the history of Achilles injuries to running backs career's throwing Ballard under the bus?

An Achilles injury is not the same as an ACL. There is a precedent for RB's coming all the way back from an ACL tear medicine has advanced on that front. There is no RB that has come back from an Achilles injury. Could Ballard be the first? It is possible but looking at it objectively: he tore his ACL no contact never saw contact again then 2 days into camp tears his Achilles. He hasn't played since 9/8/13. On top of it all he was good not great. We are not talking about AP here. The guy ran hard for 800 yards at 3.9 per carry.

The odds are stacked against him. Do I wish him the best? Of course but realistically I don't see it happening. Frankly I will be disappointed if JR isn't better than a guy who hasn't seen the field in 2 years and is coming off of 2 major injuries. I hope we have found a late round gem.

In my opinion it will be tough for Ballard to make the team but opinions are like....  we will all find out in a couple of days. I am not throwing any Colt under the bus, I am 100% behind anyone wearing the horseshoe. I just don't see Ballard being the 3rd back.

If Ballard is just good, what does that make Tipton?  Herron?

When Ballard is healthy, he is better than either of those two IMO.  Ballard was a good back, and could have been great had he stayed healthy.  That said, his health is always a concern.  But, he was what, a 5th round pick?  His contract is no big deal.  Let him play it out if he's healthy and maintains his previous form.  Worst case cenario he is on the roster and goes down with an injury.  I just don't see us keeping Tipton over Ballard if it comes to that.  Ballard was a savy runny with power.  If his injuries are simply flukes, we'd be stupid to get rid of him.  His cost is extremely low, so it's not as if we gain cap space by letting him go.  And we can always find a replacement for him or Tipton should he get injured.  May just be me, but I am not writing off Ballard yet.  He's not getting paid TRich money.

he has 4.33 speed

You might want to fact check that. 4.65 is what is on record for him. Nothing about his tape showed 4.3 speed anyways. That's not a knock on him, but speed is not his game. His a patient between the tackles runner who is a pain to bring down.

No there have been players at other positions that have made it back. Terrell Suggs for example just not RB's If you read the link it provides a theory as to why it so difficult for RB's. The game is more taxing on that position. That's why RB's have shorter careers.

I am optimistic Mathis can provide something this year. You are comparing apples and oranges.

No not at all. The Achilles serves the same purpose for each of them. They need to push of quickly and hard. Rushing Linebackers and linemen need to just as fast and hard, if not faster and harder, to get to the backfield. Plus they are pushing against just as big men.

You're the one comparing apples to oranges. Running backs have shorter careers cause they are getting hit more. But they are both using the Achilles for the same purpose.

If Ballard is just good, what does that make Tipton? Herron?

When Ballard is healthy, he is better than either of those two IMO. Ballard was a good back, and could have been great had he stayed healthy. That said, his health is always a concern. But, he was what, a 5th round pick? His contract is no big deal. Let him play it out if he's healthy and maintains his previous form. Worst case cenario he is on the roster and goes down with an injury. I just don't see us keeping Tipton over Ballard if it comes to that. Ballard was a savy runny with power. If his injuries are simply flukes, we'd be stupid to get rid of him. His cost is extremely low, so it's not as if we gain cap space by letting him go. And we can always find a replacement for him or Tipton should he get injured. May just be me, but I am not writing off Ballard yet. He's not getting paid TRich money.

It makes Boom good. He showed that last year. I don't think we saw enough of Tipton to know.

Ballard has 877 career yards 18 career recptions his longest run 26 yards averaged 3.9 ypc. We aren't talking about a stud RB. He was just good with potential.

I don't think anyone is saying cut him now. Absolutely lets see what he can do in camp. The history of RB's with an Achilles injury is he won't be the same add that to the knee injury the year before, The odds are against him. I hope he's the exception there's always one. I just don't think so.

I could see Tipton or even Varga making the roster over Ballard simply because they can go to the PS allowing us to carry 3 backs.

I think Gore and JR fit Peps mold and Boom showed a lot as a receiver. They are the favorites IMO. Let Boom lay it on the carpet and Ballard or another back show something new conversation. That's why we have camp

No not at all. The Achilles serves the same purpose for each of them. They need to push of quickly and hard. Rushing Linebackers and linemen need to just as fast and hard, if not faster and harder, to get to the backfield. Plus they are pushing against just as big men.

You're the one comparing apples to oranges. Running backs have shorter careers cause they are getting hit more. But they are both using the Achilles for the same purpose.

Did you even read the link? It's not my opinion. It's what the history of the league has shown. RB's don't come back from an Achilles injury. I hope Ballard is exception I want the best players possible if he's one I want him

It makes Boom good. He showed that last year. I don't think we saw enough of Tipton to know.

Ballard has 877 career yards 18 career recptions his longest run 26 yards averaged 3.9 ypc. We aren't talking about a stud RB. He was just good with potential.

I don't think anyone is saying cut him now. Absolutely lets see what he can do in camp. The history of RB's with an Achilles injury is he won't be the same add that to the knee injury the year before, The odds are against him. I hope he's the exception there's always one. I just don't think so.

I could see Tipton or even Varga making the roster over Ballard simply because they can go to the PS allowing us to carry 3 backs.

I think Gore and JR fit Peps mold and Boom showed a lot as a receiver. They are the favorites IMO. Let Boom lay it on the carpet and Ballard or another back show something new conversation. That's why we have camp

That line Ballard was running behind was pretty abismal let's not forget that. No one is calling him a superstar, but he's better than Boom.

How is looking at the history of Achilles injuries to running backs career's throwing Ballard under the bus?

An Achilles injury is not the same as an ACL. There is a precedent for RB's coming all the way back from an ACL tear medicine has advanced on that front. There is no RB that has come back from an Achilles injury. Could Ballard be the first? It is possible but looking at it objectively: he tore his ACL no contact never saw contact again then 2 days into camp tears his Achilles. He hasn't played since 9/8/13. On top of it all he was good not great. We are not talking about AP here. The guy ran hard for 800 yards at 3.9 per carry.

The odds are stacked against him. Do I wish him the best? Of course but realistically I don't see it happening. Frankly I will be disappointed if JR isn't better than a guy who hasn't seen the field in 2 years and is coming off of 2 major injuries. I hope we have found a late round gem.

In my opinion it will be tough for Ballard to make the team but opinions are like.... we will all find out in a couple of days. I am not throwing any Colt under the bus, I am 100% behind anyone wearing the horseshoe. I just don't see Ballard being the 3rd back.

Fair enough points, i guess im just holding out with a bit more hope for the guy.

I wasnt comparing his production to AP btw. Merely the injuries... no one is better at the RB position than AP. period. But to say Ballards 814 yard season at 3.9 wasnt a great season would be unfair. We had such a bad line that year and the offense was a pass first under BA. We ran in horrible running situations, with a bad line.

Not to mention he has the highest rushing total (814) for a Colt since Joe Addai ran for 829 in 2009.... that number is almost twice as much as anyone has put up since. If he's healthy he deserves a genuine shot at the second place RB role behind Gore.... IF he's healthy.

Fair enough points, i guess im just holding out with a bit more hope for the guy.

I wasnt comparing his production to AP btw. Merely the injuries... no one is better at the RB position than AP. period. But to say Ballards 814 yard season at 3.9 wasnt a great season would be unfair. We had such a bad line that year and the offense was a pass first under BA. We ran in horrible running situations, with a bad line.

Not to mention he has the highest rushing total (814) for a Colt since Joe Addai ran for 829 in 2009.... that number is almost twice as much as anyone has put up since. If he's healthy he deserves a genuine shot at the second place RB role behind Gore.... IF he's healthy.[/quote

If he were healthy we wouldn't be having this conversation.

He tore his ACL down for the year. He had 2 days of camp then the achilles injury which has been unkind to RB's got him. It sucks.

I think to just make the roster would be a huge achievement. He deserves a shot and he will get it.

Gore's a given then we drafted what I think we hope is his mini me and Boom showed he could catch the ball pretty well last year. I think those 3 have the inside track and we keep 1 on the PS.

Who knows maybe somehow Ballard is the same guy he was 2 yrs ago I would love that. I just don't see it Maybe we keep 4 but I think we are deeper at too many other spots to do that.

However it works out I really hope after this year 884 yards 2tds and 17 receptions 1td isn't considerd a great season

We just don't agree that's what we have been waiting all summer for the answers to these questions. It is finally here. Who do you like to start at C?

I don't see Ballard getting back to anywhere close to his previous level unfortunately. Those injuries would be difficult to come back from in isolation but having to deal with both looks too much to me.

Gore, Boom and Robinson therefore look like certainties for the squad and if we're carrying a 4th I'd like it to be Varga. He looks another out of the Gore/Robinson mold and as a project I think he has real potential.

Edited by 21isSuperman

I took another look at Tyler Varga's stats and performances on the field. He's a football player, and a good one.

His only deficiency is a 4.6 40 time. But one scout had him timed at a terrific 10 yard split, which he was quoted as saying is a much better indicator of a running back's football speed.

Varga also has great hands; had a top 6 performance in the vertical leap, etc. 

I think the Colts will carry just 3 RBs unless a player like Varga just blows everyone's socks off with his special teams prowess. They will instead add an additional player on either the O-line or D-line. But it would make a lot of sense to carry two RBS on the practice squad, and that is where I am betting Varga lands, with a good chance to get called up during the season.

I took another look at Tyler Varga's stats and performances on the field. He's a football player, and a good one.

His only deficiency is a 4.6 40 time. But one scout had him timed at a terrific 10 yard split, which he was quoted as saying is a much better indicator of a running back's football speed.

Varga also has great hands; had a top 6 performance in the vertical leap, etc.

I think the Colts will carry just 3 RBs unless a player like Varga just blows everyone's socks off with his special teams prowess. They will instead add an additional player on either the O-line or D-line. But it would make a lot of sense to carry two RBS on the practice squad, and that is where I am betting Varga lands, with a good chance to get called up during the season.

40 times don't mean much. His time wasn't that bad Gordon ran 4.52 Abdullah 4.60. I like Varga to here's a look at RB times at the combine he's right there. They have JR at 4.70 must have got the 4.65 at pro day. Can't wait to see what our young guys can do.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/21/8079823/2015-nfl-combine-results-40-yard-dash-running-backs

My thoughts exactly we hold an extra guy on the lines. I think it might be Quarles who surprises. A yr on the PS to get in shape after relaxing at SC for a few years I am interested to see him

I don't see Ballard getting back to anywhere close to his previous level unfortunately. Those injuries would be difficult to come back from in isolation but having to deal with both looks too much to me.

Gore, Boom and Robinson therefore look like certainties for the squad and if we're carrying a 4th I'd like it to be Varga. He looks another out of the Gore/Robinson mold and as a project I think he has real potential.

I could see him starting on the reserve/PUP list

Honestly I can see Gore and Boom because they have experience. Ballard could be three if not for the injury history and that is just stupid to carry that risk. Robinson at three is pure nonsense and speculation. I look at his tape and I look at Varga's tape and there is no comparison. Varga is bigger, stronger, faster and more agile and has great hands, vision and ball sense and positional versatility.... and I wont go in to the IQ area. The only thing that Robinson has on him is the fact that a draft pick and signing cash was spent on him and his skin color. Tipton is as slow as your grandmother so if he is kept around I have to say that those making the decisions are either blind or have no clue what they are looking at. So I say if things go the way it makes sense ; Gore, Boom, Varga, with Robinson on the PS. I could also see trading all of them and picking up a proven versatile number two back.

Honestly I can see Gore and Boom because they have experience. Ballard could be three if not for the injury history and that is just stupid to carry that risk. Robinson at three is pure nonsense and speculation. I look at his tape and I look at Varga's tape and there is no comparison. Varga is bigger, stronger, faster and more agile and has great hands, vision and ball sense and positional versatility.... and I wont go in to the IQ area. The only thing that Robinson has on him is the fact that a draft pick and signing cash was spent on him and his skin color. Tipton is as slow as your grandmother so if he is kept around I have to say that those making the decisions are either blind or have no clue what they are looking at. So I say if things go the way it makes sense ; Gore, Boom, Varga, with Robinson on the PS. I could also see trading all of them and picking up a proven versatile number two back.

Really his skin color plays a role? You won't go into IQ?

I like Varga but his tape should look better. He was going against Ivy League competition. JR played in the SEC the conference that routinely sends the most players to the NFL

Something else interesting about JR: Robinson, who forced 58 total missed tackles and averaged 3.54 yards after contact, finished behind only Georgia's Todd Gurley in the stat. Many consider Gurley to be the best running back in the draft class.

"Steady threat out of the backfield as pass-catcher," Zierlein wrote. "Soft hands to secure the throw and is ready to run after catch."

His 2014 season saw him catch 28 of his 39 targets for 370 yards. According to PFF, Robinson ran routes on 266 of his snaps, giving him a yard-per-route-run ratio of 1.39. He ranked ninth among draft-eligible running backs. Other big names, such as Melvin Gordon and Gurley, did not crack the top 10.

I like Varga too was excited we brought him. I think he could make the team. I can't wait to see what he can do.

Saying if JR beats him out its because of skin color and draft status before seeing either in training camp let alone preseason vs NFL talent?? You really believe that? You can make those calls watching film impressive.

Robinson had a nice career vs much better competition. I personally think we may have gotten a steal. He needs work on pass protection as most rookies do but he has the build to be effective

We will see who's game carries over vs the big boys starting today.

It's not like Ballard started the whole season.. he started out as like the third or fourth string back and got those yards off of what I wunna say 8 starts? (I may be wrong here but simply don't feel like looking it up) he's one of the best back we've had since the luck era.

.... and I wont go in to the IQ area. The only thing that Robinson has on him is the fact that a draft pick and signing cash was spent on him and his skin color.

....... Gore, Boom, Varga, with Robinson on the PS. I could also see trading all of them and picking up a proven versatile number two back.

:(

Trolling much?

Really his skin color plays a role? You won't go into IQ?

I like Varga but his tape should look better. He was going against Ivy League competition. JR played in the SEC the conference that routinely sends the most players to the NFL

Something else interesting about JR: Robinson, who forced 58 total missed tackles and averaged 3.54 yards after contact, finished behind only Georgia's Todd Gurley in the stat. Many consider Gurley to be the best running back in the draft class.

"Steady threat out of the backfield as pass-catcher," Zierlein wrote. "Soft hands to secure the throw and is ready to run after catch."

His 2014 season saw him catch 28 of his 39 targets for 370 yards. According to PFF, Robinson ran routes on 266 of his snaps, giving him a yard-per-route-run ratio of 1.39. He ranked ninth among draft-eligible running backs. Other big names, such as Melvin Gordon and Gurley, did not crack the top 10.

I like Varga too was excited we brought him. I think he could make the team. I can't wait to see what he can do.

Saying if JR beats him out its because of skin color and draft status before seeing either in training camp let alone preseason vs NFL talent?? You really believe that? You can make those calls watching film impressive.

Robinson had a nice career vs much better competition. I personally think we may have gotten a steal. He needs work on pass protection as most rookies do but he has the build to be effective

We will see who's game carries over vs the big boys starting today.

Look, dont go there. JR will only beat out Varga for one reason and that is Varga gets no reps or no quality reps to prove him self. The reason he gets no reps are allready stereotypically pre-determined, that's just the way it is. Just look at the OTA experience. Varga , Tipton and Toure would get one rep for every ten JR got. Some days they would get none ... yes zero .... and alsmost never with the first team. Can't beat out anyone while on the sidelines watching? So the only game that will "carry over" is the one that is given an honest chance. On physical and mental metrics Varga is a way better back than JR and yes I can see that on tape and don't give me the Ivy League vs SEC crap either. Just put in the Senior Bowl Tape and tell me something different. I actually like Toure better than JR and would probably keep Ballard over him as well but I am sure I will take a roasting for those comments too. We just have to stop drinking the media kool aid and form opinions other than those being fed on AP.