Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So...do the Pats still win their division?

LordHelpOurColts

At this point, it's pointless to speculate because Jimmy Garropollo literally has only played about 25 snaps in his NFL career--all in preseason.

We don't have enough film to study the guy. Problem is, the Pats can't exactly run the ball either, because they lost Blount, and defenses will stack the run knowing they don't have to worry about Brady. Plus, the Pats are going to fumble more because of the balls not being as deflated, so that legendary fumble avoidance of theirs is going to tank fast.

Of course. Jimmy G. is the second best QB in the division after Brady.

I thought Curtis Painter was going to be good too. We all saw how that turned out. I still remember watching this clip of Painter and thinking, "Oh YEEAAA We got ourselves our QB of the future! Bill Polian is a genius!"

At this point, it's pointless to speculate because Jimmy Garropollo literally has only played about 25 snaps in his NFL career--all in preseason.

We don't have enough film to study the guy. Problem is, the Pats can't exactly run the ball either, because they lost Blount, and defenses will stack the run knowing they don't have to worry about Brady. Plus, the Pats are going to fumble more because of the balls not being as deflated, so that legendary fumble avoidance of theirs is going to tank fast.

And none of that gives any indication to how the Pats will do?

Yes,  the Pats are still the favorites (but not a lock) to win that division.

I think the three other teams are all very much improved,  but I don't see them as being good enough to win 11 or more games.

And I think the Pats will still win 10-12 games in the 12 games Brady is their QB.   And they may win 1 or 2 with Garrappolo.

New England will be determined and focused.....

I'd still lean towards New England but I think the Bills and Dolphins can make some noise.  I think the Dolphins have the best shot outside of the Pats.  If the Pats start out 2-3 or 1-4, I think things will get very interesting.  If they weather the storm and can start 3-2 or better, they will for sure take the division.

What isn't getting a lot of play time is the idea that if this issue goes to court, odds are Brady will be playing from the get go.

However, if he then loses in court he could be serving that 4 game suspension right before or during the playoffs.

Unless there's some NFL rule that I'm not aware of that prevents that. Which is entirely possible, if not probable based on my understanding of the rule book lol.

I thought Curtis Painter was going to be good too. We all saw how that turned out. I still remember watching this clip of Painter and thinking, "Oh YEEAAA We got ourselves our QB of the future! Bill Polian is a genius!"

I mean technically Curtis was part of us landing our QB of the future... 

What isn't getting a lot of play time is the idea that if this issue goes to court, odds are Brady will be playing from the get go.

However, if he then loses in court he could be serving that 4 game suspension right before or during the playoffs.

Unless there's some NFL rule that I'm not aware of that prevents that. Which is entirely possible, if not probable based on my understanding of the rule book lol.

I agree that fans are overlooking that a court will issue a restraining order or injunction against the NFL which will prevent the suspension. Brady's argument is that he will be irreparably harmed by the suspension before the merits of the case can be adjudicated.  I think it is highly likely the judge would agree.  In fact, even if Brady loses (after what, two or three months), he and the player's union will no doubt appeal and ask for an injunction during the appeal, which again would likely be granted.  We are then talking many more months.  The conclusion:  Brady will play every game this season.

Good heavens. You guys need to lighten up. It was a joke ... although I would take Jimmy over any QB the Jets or Bills trot out this season ...

Just a thought, but perhaps you should try using "lol" or a sarcasm emote when you're making a joke. Based on your past history there is no reason for anyone to think you were not genuinely serious in saying jimmy g is the 2nd best qb in the afc east.

I had a few more thoughts on the likelihood of an injunction.  It is not a given that the court would grant the injunction on appeal if Brady loses, however, I think it is very possible.  If the case continues for six months to a  year, I can envision a scenario where Brady decides to retire if he loses the appeal, especially if the Patriots win the Super Bowl this year.  He is a proud man. He will be 38 next week.  I can see him telling the NFL to stick their suspension sideways.

Just a thought, but perhaps you should try using "lol" or a sarcasm emote when you're making a joke. Based on your past history there is no reason for anyone to think you were not genuinely serious in saying jimmy g is the 2nd best qb in the afc east.

I'm surprised she didn't say the second best qb in the history of the world

Yes...and they still get the #1 seed. Even if Tom misses 4 games which I don't think happens they are still the class of the AFC. Bill will play more zone in the secondary and still put together a good defense and well that offense is still very deadly. Tom is the best QB in the AFC right now...the game we play them I do think could determine HFA in the playoffs but the qb issues in that divison and how those teams typically play...they likely all split the games and NE still win it.

Yes...and they still get the #1 seed. Even if Tom misses 4 games which I don't think happens they are still the class of the AFC. Bill will play more zone in the secondary and still put together a good defense and well that offense is still very deadly. Tom is the best QB in the AFC right now...the game we play them I do think could determine HFA in the playoffs but the qb issues in that divison and how those teams typically play...they likely all split the games and NE still win it.

Their offense is deadly....if Gronk can stay healthy. If he's out it scares no one.

And I think you are just going off past accomplishments. That defense is going to take a step or two back....Bill has proven in the past he struggles with mediocre talent on defense.

Their offense is deadly....if Gronk can stay healthy. If he's out it scares no one.

And I think you are just going off past accomplishments. That defense is going to take a step or two back....Bill has proven in the past he struggles with mediocre talent on defense.

In fairness, everybody does. But your point stands. they lost a bunch of talent on their D

Of course they still win the division, look at those god awful teams. 

Miami has a defense, but not much of an offense. Don't even try to hype them up. They start 5-2 and end up finishing 8-8

Buffalo is their only threat and that's due to their defense and now having a good coach, but they still don't have an offense. 

The Jets were awful last year and without Rex, they're bound to be awful again. 

NE will finish 11-5. No way they start 0-4. I have them at 2-2 to start the season, after the Colts and Broncos, that schedule is a cake walk. 

Of course they still win the division, look at those god awful teams. 

Miami has a defense, but not much of an offense. Don't even try to hype them up. They start 5-2 and end up finishing 8-8

Buffalo is their only threat and that's due to their defense and now having a good coach, but they still don't have an offense. 

The Jets were awful last year and without Rex, they're bound to be awful again. 

NE will finish 11-5. No way they start 0-4. I have them at 2-2 to start the season, after the Colts and Broncos, that schedule is a cake walk. 

That is a good point Bogie about the easy schedule for the Pats this year as compared to last year when they had a murderers row of the top QBs in the league. I still believe Miami will push the Pats the hardest and I believe that even if Brady plays all 16. The only thing I question about them and it is a biggie is their coaching. For the last two seasons they have been in prime position to get a WC and have fallen apart at the end of the season.

They WILL take a step back...but that offense is the best in the AFC when everyone is healthy. They have probably the best OL in the AFC...can run the ball when they need to...and Gronk, Lafell, Edelman, and Amendola...not to mention that Hous***man guy however you say it...they are still the class of the division. EVERYTHING changes once games start and people start going down. I mean we likely would be picking in the top 5 if Andrew gets hurt...so we all know what happens if an MVP caliber player goes down. Gronk is uncoverable...and we have proven that they own us up front...nothing has changed there. I think teams will put up more points but that said they are still a SB caliber team with a lesser defense...and Bill will dial up more pressure this year..they should be better up front so throw in some exotic zone looks a couple times a game to lure someone into a mistake (especially those AFC East qbs) and in the end they win 38-24 instead of 48-14 against teams.

The only thing that will matter for the Pats IF Brady is suspended is whether they get HFA in the AFC or not. They will win the division, no doubt about that with that coaching staff that they have that will figure out different ways to win it. 

They could end up as the #4 seed in the AFC if Brady is suspended, IMO. If that turns out that way, I wouldn't want the Colts to be #1 having to face them in the divisional round, lol :).

Do the Jets have a halfway competent QB yet? Geno? Vick? Fitz? Lol nope. As sad as it sounds Fitz is the best of those 3.

Do the Dolphins? Tannehill plays ok. Half the time.

Do the Bills? Cassel? Manuel? lol no. Taylor? Maybe.

The Pats are fine, unless Tannehill and/or Taylor play at least well enough not to cripple their own teams. Bonus points if they play consistently well, as the Dolphins and Bills would both be pretty impressive teams if that were the case - particularly Buffalo.

The Jets are a foregone conclusion of terrible QB play, so expect them to be a dud again.

They WILL take a step back...but that offense is the best in the AFC when everyone is healthy. They have probably the best OL in the AFC...can run the ball when they need to...and Gronk, Lafell, Edelman, and Amendola...not to mention that Hous***man guy however you say it...they are still the class of the division. EVERYTHING changes once games start and people start going down. I mean we likely would be picking in the top 5 if Andrew gets hurt...so we all know what happens if an MVP caliber player goes down. Gronk is uncoverable...and we have proven that they own us up front...nothing has changed there. I think teams will put up more points but that said they are still a SB caliber team with a lesser defense...and Bill will dial up more pressure this year..they should be better up front so throw in some exotic zone looks a couple times a game to lure someone into a mistake (especially those AFC East qbs) and in the end they win 38-24 instead of 48-14 against teams.

They do not have the best offense is the afc nor the best offensive line.

I mentioned Gronk going down, because unlike Luck, he has an injury history dating back to college.