Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release OT Gosder Cherlius

MTC

WOW.

http://blogs.colts.com/

The Indianapolis Colts today released offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus.

Cherilus is a seven-year NFL veteran who started 100-of-104 career games between the Detroit Lions (2008-2012) and Colts (2013-14). He was signed by Indianapolis as an unrestricted free agent on March 13, 2013. In two seasons with the Colts, he started all 29 games he appeared in, which included two postseason contests in 2013.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cherilus the 3rd player from less than impressive 2013 Colts' free agent class released. LaRon Landry and Ricky Jean Francois also released

— Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNFL)

July 26, 2015

Mewhort started the 2014 regular season finale at RT and played tackle in college. He looks to be the future now, opposite Anthony Castonzo.

— Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts)

July 26, 2015

Does anyone know how this impacts the current state of our finances? Essentially, I'm curious if the savings could be sufficient to help sign a guard like Evan Mathis. Just feels like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop..

Saves 4 mill in 2015 cap space. Could easily sign Mathis if that was the plan. If they signed Mathis , they would probably cut Thomas also,

I'm actually really surprised to see this. Wonder if it just didn't look like he would be able to recover, or if this was motivated by the money-to-performance ratio in general.

Concerned with his health. I'll post that tweet right now. Donald Thomas might be next

Also the fact that Grigson is familiar with him from his Philly days

Great point TK! I know it's that time of year, where any semblance of NFL activity functions as a catalyst for my own excitement; however, this move really has me thinking forward. Officially sliding Mewhort over to right and signing Mathis seriously upgrades our line imo. AC has the left on lock, with Herremans filling in the other guard spot. Once we nail down Holmes/ Harrison, that line would look pretty good. Not to mention, we have increased depth along the entire line. Go sign Mathis now Grigs!

FL Colts Fan

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:38 PM

I realize Mewhort may be moving to Right Tackle this year and would like to see the Colts go after Evan Mathis to be a proven fit at Left Guard to replace him. Has anyone heard anything about who is going after him? Opinions of Mathis? Thanks.                            

I sort of called it the other day. If Grigs doesn't sign Mathis for LG now he is crazy. What a great off season that would be for him !!

LT-Castonzo

LG-Reitz

C-Holmes

RG-Herremans/Mewhort

RT-Mewhort/Herremans

I look for Herremans to be RT and Mewhort RG

That wouldn't seem to align with where they took most of their reps in OTA's, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Still, I see Herremans at guard and Mewhort at RT. Now let's go get Mathis to fix that little LG blip.