Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I've Had a Change of Heart: Dorsett Was a Good Pick

Defjamz26

I would have been shocked if the Patriots had taken Dorsett

And even if the Patriots HAD wanted Dorsett, that would have been a HORRIBLE reason to draft him.  We have lots of Rivals to get to each Super Bowl, the Patriots may not even be our biggest obstacle this year nor going forward.  You pick the best player you can who hopefully fills a need.  Most agree Dorsett has a lot of potential, but at a position of far less need than many on Defense.  Now, if the two Stanford guys pan out, then perhaps we got away with a steal.  But they don't appear to be likely day 1 starters and I think there were multiple defenders on the board that would have started for our D.  (Or O-Line).   

By the way, on a slightly different note, should the Colts sign that other Philly guard to shore up our line more, or work with what we have? I know....  start a new thread I guess.... just thinking out loud with all the calls for O-Line help on this post. 

And even if the Patriots HAD wanted Dorsett, that would have been a HORRIBLE reason to draft him.  We have lots of Rivals to get to each Super Bowl, the Patriots may not even be our biggest obstacle this year nor going forward.  You pick the best player you can who hopefully fills a need.  Most agree Dorsett has a lot of potential, but at a position of far less need than many on Defense.  Now, if the two Stanford guys pan out, then perhaps we got away with a steal.  But they don't appear to be likely day 1 starters and I think there were multiple defenders on the board that would have started for our D.  (Or O-Line).   

By the way, on a slightly different note, should the Colts sign that other Philly guard to shore up our line more, or work with what we have? I know....  start a new thread I guess.... just thinking out loud with all the calls for O-Line help on this post.

I'm open to signing anyone who can bring some stability to the offensive line.

Not necessarily. Grigson is always hesitant to play rookies. When they do start it's because of an injury. You could argue that whoever we would have got would be in the same position. Landon Collins is having trouble picking up things, so if the Colts would've taken him, he might be in the same situation Geathers is in now.b Brown or Goldman would still be playing behind aLangfurd

I was furious at the time they drafted him and really was against the pick for months afterwards. But after having time to think it over and look at it from a different angle,I think it was a great pick that makes a lot of sense.

I think the first thing that made me see it differently was when I thought about possible WR formations and realized that the Colts don't have a "true" slot receiver. Hilton is an outside guy, as well as AJ and Moncrief. I'm not saying Dorsett it's limited to playing in the slot only, but he can be really deadly there with his speed. How many nickel CBs would be able to cover a guy with 4.2 speed? It would make for an incredible WR set with Hilton and AJ on the outside, and Dorsett on the inside. Someone would have to be open.

Also I was always a fan of Dorsett as a player. He seems really down to earth and humble. But when AJ retires, his value goes up immensely. Now you have 3 really capable receivers, and it becomes pick your poison, especially when you factor in our TEs.

Although there were other players I might have preferred like Malcolm Brown, Dorsett is a really good pick. Plus Grigson made up for the guys he passed on by getting players at the same position who could be just as good. But, I'm pretty excited for Dorsett. He could be a real menace in this league.

From furious to great?  OK. 

And no mention of losing TY.

BTW, Moncrief is a "GREAT" deep threat. Think about it some more.

He routinely beats whatever corner they put on him for huge gains at times. He's definitely an outside guy. He doesn't have the physical traits of an Alshon Jeffery, but neither does Antonio Brown and he's arguably the best receiver in the game. Hilton can play anywhere but I think it's fine putting him in the outside. That's why the Pats put a Corner and safety on him. That only happens with outside receivers who pose a serious threat.

We have the luxury this season to allow TY to be a decoy and let Moncrief, Johnson and Dorsett feast on single

coverage. We had no running threat so Gore should play a big role this season also.

Multiple defenders like who?

One of the argument that I heard Irsay offer after the draft,  (and maybe Grigson too?)  is that whether he's the 3rd WR or the 4th,  Dorsett is going to be better than most every 3rd or 4th corner he faces.     That was part of the thinking behind the selection,  that the Colts would gain a big advantage in the match-up....

I'm interested to see how we play things offensively against the Jets.  They are probably one of the few teams in this league that should be able to match up with us defensively.  Buster Skrine is pretty fast, but I'm not sure whether or not he can run with Dorsett.  Chromartie and Revis match up pretty well with A. Johnson and T.Y.  They'll still be some opportunities to be had with Moncrief, Fleener, and Allen.  I can't wait till we play that game!

One of the argument that I heard Irsay offer after the draft,  (and maybe Grigson too?)  is that whether he's the 3rd WR or the 4th,  Dorsett is going to be better than most every 3rd or 4th corner he faces.     That was part of the thinking behind the selection,  that the Colts would gain a big advantage in the match-up....

I'm interested to see how we play things offensively against the Jets.  They are probably one of the few teams in this league that should be able to match up with us defensively.  Buster Skrine is pretty fast, but I'm not sure whether or not he can run with Dorsett.  Chromartie and Revis match up pretty well with A. Johnson and T.Y.  They'll still be some opportunities to be had with Moncrief, Fleener, and Allen.  I can't wait till we play that game!

Says who? Maybe they liked him, but I don't recall BB taking many "skill position" players" in the first. Plus, Brady would never hit him deep anyway.....

A lot of people said it: 

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=patriots+want+phillip+dorsett

McCourty was a 1st round pick, and IIRC they picked a Safety a few years back. 

I was also ... confused... by the pick, but I get it.

However, it really doesn't matter how much speed we have, or how many great receivers, if Andrew doesn't have the time to throw to them.  

I know we were all hoping for a defensive impact player in the draft.  But I think protecting the franchise is more important.  He was rushed and hit way too many times in his first three years.  Yes, he's also to blame for that too.  Still, take a page from Jerry Jones and load up that O line.  The rest will come a lot easier.

I'm hoping that with Gore coming in and the defenses having to cover so many different weapons that will help the offensive line play. Having to run against nickel defenses or using an effective play action pass should help the line....in theory

When that game rolls around, I can see them putting Skrine on T.Y. & Revis on Donte when we go 3 wide since Skrine is too small to cover Donte. An even better matchup is when we play Denver. Their 3 CBs vs our 3 WRs will likely determine who wins that game & it'll be fun to watch to say the least.

Herreman's was beginning to show a lot of decline last year with Philly, but he's still a decent addition.

Luck threw up 40 TD's.. but what did he do in the AFC Championship game when it mattered most? Nothing.

That wasn't because of the line. The wide receivers couldn't get open and when they did they dropped the pass. revis was on moncrief and hilton was double teamed. that left an injured reggie and a washed up nicks. Allen and fleener were shut down as well.

When that game rolls around, I can see them putting Skrine on T.Y. & Revis on Donte when we go 3 wide since Skrine is too small to cover Donte. An even better matchup is when we play Denver. Their 3 CBs vs our 3 WRs will likely determine who wins that game & it'll be fun to watch to say the least.

They'll be in a bind though with Dorsett or Andre Johnson in the slot.  I'm also guessing we'll use more 4 WR sets as well to take advantage.

They'll be in a bind though with Dorsett or Andre Johnson in the slot.  I'm also guessing we'll use more 4 WR sets as well to take advantage.

In our offense Pep makes all the WRs play in all spots. You're right in terms of we'll use more 4 WR sets this year since I don't think there's that many(if any at all) teams that have 4 quality CBs. Hell I'd also like to see us go 5 wide at times with Carter being the 5th WR. 

Jets have a good defensive front, and good corners.  But there is a reason Revis never played Hilton 1-1,...same reason Sherman got burnt, Revis is not fast enough to cover T.Y. by himself without the threat of T.Y going deep. Revis would go on A.J. .  Cromarte would go on T.Y., with help over the top.  Would leave Montcrief or Dorsett 1-1, and the Jets LB' suck covering TE's.  So expect 4 wide sets, and alot of passes to Fleener and Allen when they go 3 wide or 2 TE set.