Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mariota and Bortles...Threat or No Threat?

bap1331

Mariota"s running skills will hit our defense bad at first but I think it will be a great test on the defense to control the running game since the D was pounded last season. Even Brady as slow as he is can juke out our whole defense...

I know hes a QB but being prepared for everything is a good thing.

The huge advantage is that Luck is becoming very experienced while the rest of the AFC South is still playing catchup. It would be more of a threat if another veteran joined one of the teams like Philip Rivers and whatnot.

I'm thinking Mariota has a chance to be a threat if their receiving corps and running game is good this year.  David Cobb might have an impact on the run game, and players like Dorial Green-Beckham and Harry Douglas coming in this year can help the passing attack.  Returning players like Wright and Walker will also dictate whether or not Mariota becomes a threat to us.  Bortles has players that have proven they can have an impact on the offense,  and I think Bishop Sankey can bounce back from last year and be effective.     

Blake Bortles doesn't have a lot to work with as far as experience goes.  Marquise Lee, Allen Hurns, Allen Robinson have all played just one season.  Arrelious Benn hasn't been playing in the NFL since 2012, and Rashad Greene is a rookie.  Marcedes Lewis is the real only veteran presence there, Julius Thomas has had two great seasons the last two years but was also playing with Manning, and defenses also had to cover players like Thomas and Sanders.  The running back group lacks starter experience as well. Robinson did well in the 13 games he played last year, but he can't handle the whole workload.  Yeldon is a rookie so we don't know yet how he is going to play in the NFL.  Gerhart showed he can handle the majority of the snaps at running back.  Pierce has been declining in recent years and has had off-the-field problems.  

So for right now: Mariota has the chance to become a threat, Bortles' team needs more time to develop and prove their ability before he becomes an actual threat.   

I've never found Mariota to be that impressive. Good athlete, for sure. So maybe early in his career, he'll have some success moving the ball...but as teams start to hem him in and make him throw the ball more, I think he'll have problems.

On the other hand, and apparently, this is unpopular, but I can only go by what I see...I think Bortles has some pretty decent upside...I'm not sure I'd use the word "threat" to describe anyone in the division right this second...

As far as QB's, I feel the Jags are better off this year then the Titans.  Mariota is a rookie coming from a spread.  I continue to believe these QB's are not NFL ready.  Winston will be a much better QB than Mariota this year, and so will Bortles.  But the Colts should be able to handle business against both clubs again this season.

Yes, Bortles looked awful at times during his rookie year.  He also looked pretty good at others.  The story?  He was injured latter half last year.  He was on the injury report.  A bum shoulder lead to dead arm syndrome (MLB pitchers get that too).  So changes (bad) to his mechanics  to compensate crept in.  He got healthy and rest in the off season, then went to Tom House to rebuild his mechanics.  So he's healthy, rested, and mechanically ready.  And the game should slow down for him this year. If he stays healthy, the Jags may find they have their franchise QB to develop.

Mariota has a lot on his plate.  He now has to learn and call complex plays in the huddle.  No more looking at a sign on the sidelines and lining up in shotgun.  Marcus is smart, so I think he can do it, but not effectively in year 1.  Next year is when I'll be able to determine if he can make the transition to the NFL game.  He needs to stay healthy, and not get to caught up in running to make a play this year. The game will appear fast, and he won't have time to learn progressions like he needs. But he does not want to follow the RG III path.  Growing pains this year, and see what his sophomore year brings (likely huge improvement).

Luck is still stands head and shoulders above all the South division QB's, though.

Not a huge threat. You would think after all these 1st round picks, the Titans and Jags would be an elite team. lol Bortles showed some decent flashes last season I thought. If Allen Robinson and Julius Thomas stay healthy, the jags may have a nice 1-2 punch. I'm not worried about Marcus Mariota though, maybe just his legs. We will see how he translates into the NFL first.

Not everyone has to be Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers in order to succeed in the NFL. Blake and Marcus could both turn out to be very good quarterbacks one day and yes, challenge for the division.

No but if you don't have a star QB you need a very good team around them.. I don't see that with either Bortles or Mariota so no threat. At least for next season.

No but if you don't have a star QB you need a very good team around them.. I don't see that with either Bortles or Mariota so no threat. At least for next season.

Yeah I don't see it right now either, but the Jaguars are going to continue adding pieces in the next few years. They're defense has already made a name for itself, the offense is next. The Titans are in disarray but I could see them getting it straight too. I definitely don't see them making any noise this season of course.

Yeah I don't see it right now either, but the Jaguars are going to continue adding pieces in the next few years. They're defense has already made a name for itself, the offense is next. The Titans are in disarray but I could see them getting it straight too. I definitely don't see them making any noise this season of course.

The jags were 26th in total defense.

And we all know stats never tell the whole story. Whenever the Jaguars are mentioned or get any compliments, and yes I know it's rare, people mention that hardnosed defense of theirs. I didn't say they were the 85 Bears but their defense isn't completely terrible either. Their head coach was defensive coordinator in Seattle and he wasn't too shabby either.

Their defense wasn't amazing, but it was much better than their 26th ranking. The Jags offense was terrible. They had so many 3-and-outs, fumbles, INTs that led to the defense being on the field most of the game. If the offense performed better, their defensive ranking would be much better. If you had to chose a strength of the Jaguars' team, it would be their defense well before their offense.

Can either Mariota or Bortles perform better than the "Amish Rifle?" Ryan Fitzpatrick recently played for the Texans and the Titans the year before, and performed at an "average" rate. I would argue that Fitzpatrick is the ceiling for both Mariota and Bortles. He is mobile, accurate, and smart, but just not great.

Last year with Houston, he played 12 games, threw 17 TDs and 8 INTs,  63% completion, 2,483 yards and had a 95.3 passer rating. Overall, just average. If he played the full season at the same rate, he would have had around 21 TDs, 10 INTs and 3,100 yards.

The key is, when you're not that good, is to not lose the game...some QBs go out there and actively and forcibly lose...Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, E.J. Manuel...these guys have a lot of quit in them and they make it look so, so difficult...

Guys like Alex Smith, or even a while back, someone like Chad Pennington...maybe they aren't super QBs or anything...they might be decidedly average...but they make good decisions and they give their teammates a chance to win and they give themselves a chance to win by not ******** their pants every third snap...

I always want the ball in Andrew's hands because he is by far the best player on the team...in some cases, and this is a foreign concept for us over the past two decades, sometimes the QB is not your best player...get the ball into your best player's hands to win...

Last Super Bowl...put the ball in your best player's hands, Seahawks win...put the ball in not the best player's hands, and the world suffers...

The ceiling for both QBs is way higher than Ryan Fitzpatrick, but whether they reach that potential is a matter for the courts...part of the process, though, particularly for Mariota who doesn't have as much as arm talent, is not losing. Then you learn to win...he was the star in college, the adjustment comes when he goes from being to do whatever he felt like in college to being able to do much, much less as a pro...