Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints Symbol, What Is It Called & What Does It Represent?

King Colt

I actually knew that from several vacation visits to Quebec Province.

It looks a lot nicer on the Quebec flag - which is essentially Colts Blue and White. I liked it (and Quebec) so much that I actually bought one, although I can't quite remember which box it's in. I have always hated the Saints uniforms on the other hand. Just pug ugly.

400_F_3394313_IljXIgmNcix4WiJ3Wu074AuVlz6Cwg.jpg

i wonder what the legalities are protecting the saints logo. i mean anybody can print a black shirt with a gold Fleur de Lis on it right?

i bet there was a lot of it going on when the saints won the super bowl

Good question. I'd think it would be very hard to enforce for the NFL any type of copyright.

i wonder what the legalities are protecting the saints logo. i mean anybody can print a black shirt with a gold Fleur de Lis on it right?

i bet there was a lot of it going on when the saints won the super bowl

There was, and the Saints tried to crack down on it for trademark infringement. Don't know that I ever heard how the lawsuits panned out. I remember discussing it here (well, not "here" exactly, but you get what I mean) on the forum at the time. My argument was that you can't crack down on trademark infringement for your logo if your logo is a common symbol that has broad meaning outside the realm of your product/merchandise.

What is that ugly symbol on the Saints helmet? What is it called and what does it stand for?

As some have already mentioned it is a Fleur de Lis is tied to the French and can be seen in many locations across the world with ties to France . . . as we always know for the most part teams get thier names from something that has to do with the city (Pats - Patriots, Boston/1776, Broncos, horses in midwest, Fins, fins in Miami, etc.) . . .well the history of New Orleans is tightly tied to the French from the original French colony, named after the French city of Orleans, the Louisana purchase (US bought Louisana and most of the midwest from the French), and the war of 1812 between England and US (some forget that there was a second war between England and US) . . . well the last battle was fougt was the Battle of New Orleans in which the French pirate Jean Lafitte helped the US a great deal in that battle and help the US win that battle and thus the war of 1812 . . . btw, Yul Brenner plays a great Lafitte in the mid 50s movie "The Buccaneer" along with Charlton Heston as Andrew Jackson (Heston's Jackson looks like he came right off the 20 dollar bill) who was the American officer that defended New Orleans from the British . . .

so basically New Orleans is very closely related to the French, the French, to a degree, helped us win the war of 1812, and as such the French symbol Fleur de Lis is a likely symbol for a New Orleans team . . .

as for the Trademark, it is likely deemed to be generic and as such the French will not be able to sue others . . . however, as for the specific verson of the Saints, a gold colored fleur de lis with black unis, is closely related to a NFL team, if one were to design a shirt that was black with a gold fluer de lis, it is too close to the Saints . . .but if one were to put a gold fluer de lis as part of ones hamburger stand in Boston, no such ties and two cities and more importantingly, two different industries, food and sports, and as such less likley for confusion in the market place, the std to judge trademark infringement . . .

i dont want to date mysefl but on of my favorite songs as a kid was Battle of New Orleans sung by Johnny Horton . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsRK3DNoa_Q

I hope the above helps in answering your question . . .

. . . btw, Yul Brenner plays a great Lafitte in the mid 50s movie "The Buccaneer" along with Charlton Heston as Andrew Jackson (Heston's Jackson looks like he came right off the 20 dollar bill) who was the American officer that defended New Orleans from the British . . .

i dont want to date mysefl but on of my favorite songs as a kid was Battle of New Orleans sung by Johnny Horton . . .

I hope the above helps in answering your question . . .

Yeah but who played the girl:)

The song is right up there with Kelley's Heroes.

Its the same girl in Resident Evil. I can't remember her name.

no different person, there are a few movies made with the name Buccaneers, one in '38, one in '58 and a mini series in the 1990s, you might be thinking of the later . . . Mira Sorvino was in that 1990s mini series . .. who kind of looks like the main actress in Resident Evil . . .

lame reading all the french hate on here. italian armies have the inept rep on the field not the french.

the symbol is called the fleur de lis,

it means 'flower of louis' more or less.

louisville and st louis, terre haute, lafayette, detroit all have names from the french, as thats pretty much who the first white guys were in this area.

what, you think all they did was make french fries?