Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How is Patrick Peterson a top 5 CB?

Defjamz26

I really think he's overrated. He may always be put on the other teams top receiver but he seems to get burned and beaten often. My top 5 would be:

1. Revis

2.Vontae

3.Sherman

4.Haden

5.Grimes

And even after that I'd say Talib and Chris Harris are above him. I could make a case for a few other guys as well. Does anywhere here really see him as top 5? I just can't see it. Especially this past season.

Jimmy Smith from the Ravens, also. 

My top five, based on recent results:

1) Revis

2) Harris

3) Vontae

4) Sherman

5) Smith

+1: Grimes

Talib and Haden are above Peterson. Sean Smith and Xavier Rhodes, probably. Yeah, I don't even think he's top ten. Super talented and very athletic, absolutely. That's not enough, though.

He had a terrible year, but some say it was because he was diagnosed with diabetes and he was learning how to manage that.  I was very critical of him, but I didn't know the part about the diabetes.  I'm interested to see how he does this upcoming year.

and what exactly makes it a myth

The reality that is his poor play on the field?  Look at any metric that people consider a viable way to assess a CB  and he doesn't match up well against anyone else who's considered a top tier CB. 

Now you can point to his documented health issues last season and he may well improve this season not it's under control but even taking that out the equation his stats outside of this year still aren't top tier. 

That's before I even get into the eye ball test. I watch him, he's got all the tools certainly but my he gets burnt a lot. He'll give you splash plays, but not a consistent shut down. 

The reality that is his poor play on the field?  Look at any metric that people consider a viable way to assess a CB  and he doesn't match up well against anyone else who's considered a top tier CB. 

Now you can point to his documented health issues last season and he may well improve this season not it's under control but even taking that out the equation his stats outside of this year still aren't top tier. 

That's before I even get into the eye ball test. I watch him, he's got all the tools certainly but my he gets burnt a lot. He'll give you splash plays, but not a consistent shut down. 

poor play this year or years before that?

Then why is he voted highly by other NFL players for the last few years? I'm not saying he is a great CB just asking the question, because I tend to believe, that as a whole, those that play the game know who the better players are.

Then why is he voted highly by other NFL players for the last few years? I'm not saying he is a great CB just asking the question, because I tend to believe, that as a whole, those that play the game know who the better players are.

You have maybe 5% of the players in the NFL voting for the list and they only fill out the top 15ish players. 

And NFL players are human too. They get caught up in player hype just like the next person. 

His return ability

Last year was poor, years before (aside from maybe 2012) were averageish. 

Point being at no point in his career has he performed to say a Revis level consistently yet people automatically put him in the same tier.

how many CBs are at revis's level. lets get real

how many CBs are at revis's level. lets get real

Sherman and Davis for two are close enough. You can make arguments that people like Brent Grimes, Chris Harris Jr and Jimmy Smith are in the same sort of grouping. They're the corners I'd talk about for my Top 5 anyway. 

Peterson... not sure he'd make my top 10. 

Sherman and Davis for two are close enough. You can make arguments that people like Brent Grimes, Chris Harris Jr and Jimmy Smith are in the same sort of grouping. They're the corners I'd talk about for my Top 5 anyway. 

Peterson... not sure he'd make my top 10. 

no harris and smith are good, but are not even close to revis good. davis needs another season or two before we can mention him with revis. sherman is the only one you can say is close

no harris and smith are good, but are not even close to revis good. davis needs another season or two before we can mention him with revis. sherman is the only one you can say is close

Davis was better than Revis last year. What happened in years prior is irrelevant

so if luck had a down year this year, would you say he sucks and discredit has past success

Patrick Peterson didn't have a down year. He had the same kind of year he's had his entire career. He had a lot of interceptions in 2012, but other than that, he's a guy who gets 2-3 picks, knocks down a handful of passes, and gives up 6-8 TDs and a passer rating against of around 90. That's over four years, not just 2014.

so if luck had a down year this year, would you say he sucks and discredit has past success

First off, Davis at no point has sucked. Second, that's a terrible analogy

. Would you say Eli Manning is better than luck because he has had success in the past and Andrew has only been playing 3 seasons

If sherman and davis had to cover the best WR week in and week out, you would label them as over rated too.. they play sub par receivers which boost their stats.. vontae plays 6 games a year in which teams have the worst qbs in the league.. wonder why he has the lowest completion rating?

If sherman and davis had to cover the best WR week in and week out, you would label them as over rated too.. they play sub par receivers which boost their stats.. vontae plays 6 games a year in which teams have the worst qbs in the league.. wonder why he has the lowest completion rating?

Such a weak criticism. Vontae has had his best games against great QBs and really good receivers. Let's stop pretending that he only plays well against poor competition, because that's 100% false.

Vontae and Sherman both play on the left side of the field, so they get matched up on whoever is there. Vontae had seen his fair share of top end WRs. What results is that they don't throw to his side at all. It's one thing to take away one guy, but Davis and Sherman take away entire sides of the field. But Vontae saw DT twice and Steve Smith last year. Not to mention he's made AJs life miserable the last 2 seasons.

Peterson can shut down AJ Green five but that's mostly because he's played against him since college. Besides that he struggles against most WRs.

He's massively overrated. He's the most overrated player in the league IMO. I still see almost weekly a list where someone places him in the top 5. Its ridiculous and I don't get it. He allowed almost 8 TDs and a QBR of around 100. That's pretty bad and certainly not top 5