Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning & Records

Hoosier

Just thought this was something interesting to track during what will likely be Peyton's last season.

Peyton needs 2,148 passing yards to pass Brett Favre for the career record. 
(He threw 4,727 last year.)

Peyton needs 374 completions to pass Brett Favre for the career record.
(He threw 395 last year.  This one may be tough.)

It's possible that Peyton could retire with those records along with:

Most career TDs at 530. (Plus any thrown this season.)
Most career game-winning drives at 52. (Plus any this season.)
Most single-season passing yards at 5,477.
Most single-season TDs at 55.

Just thought this was something interesting to track during what will likely be Peyton's last season.

Peyton needs 2,148 passing yards to pass Brett Favre for the career record. 

(He threw 4,727 last year.)

Peyton needs 374 completions to pass Brett Favre for the career record.

(He threw 395 last year.  This one may be tough.)

It's possible that Peyton could retire with those records along with:

Most career TDs at 530. (Plus any thrown this season.)

Most career game-winning drives at 52. (Plus any this season.)

Most single-season passing yards at 5,477.

Most single-season TDs at 55.

He has 14 4,000-yard passing seasons

I believe..12 division titles

..but the big one obviously would be the only QB to (start and) win a Super Bowl with 2 different teams.

What makes you say Peyton is probably retiring after this season, Hoosier? He's is a 5-year contract...4th season.

What makes you say Peyton is probably retiring after this season, Hoosier? He's is a 5-year contract...4th season.

Just purely a personal feeling based on age, the amount of thought he put into it after last season, and all of the changes in Denver.

Just purely a personal feeling based on age, the amount of thought he put into it after last season, and all of the changes in Denver.

That team is so good defensively and getting better....barring injury,

I just think hes going to do what he said he'd do, which is play 5 years

I look for him to break both of Favre's records this season, and I am not looking forward to the day he retires, although I know it's drawing near.

He needs 309 yards to get to 70,000 opening night..

...Cant hardly wait....I think the Broncos are laughing at all this speculation that they're going to run the ball to make

it easy for poor, old Peyton.

They want the other AFC teams to think that

I think Peyton breaks them all except for maybe the completions. It will be more interesting to watch how he fares in Kubiak's offensive system. It is not an offensive style that lends itself to gaudy numbers and with the talk that they want to preserve Manning's arm for the end of the season as well as his health, I think his numbers overall may be very average but will also be enough for Denver to win a lot of games on what will be a very close West division race IMO.

I think Peyton breaks them all except for maybe the completions. It will be more interesting to watch how he fares in Kubiak's offensive system. It is not an offensive style that lends itself to gaudy numbers and with the talk that they want to preserve Manning's arm for the end of the season as well as his health, I think his numbers overall may be very average but will also be enough for Denver to win a lot of games on what will be a very close West division race IMO.

Matt Schaub threw for 4,770 yards in Kubiak's system. Manning will be fine.

Matt Schaub threw for 4,770 yards in Kubiak's system. Manning will be fine.

I did some research on this and over 7 seasons Schaub averaged just over 3,300 yards in Kubiak's offense with the 4,7770 as his high water mark in 2009. In addition, he averaged 17 TDs per season.

Last year Joe Flacco threw for 3986 and 27 TDs.

Again, I see Manning being more of an efficient, game manager type QB in this offense. I still think he gets his numbers but they were not be the Manning type gaudy numbers we are used to. I also don't think it will effect the team winning as long as the team is bought in to the approach and of course Manning stays healthy with the Oline issues they have to contend with along with D. Thomas' hold out.

I did some research on this and over 7 seasons Schaub averaged just over 3,300 yards in Kubiak's offense with the 4,7770 as his high water mark in 2009. In addition, he averaged 17 TDs per season.

Again, I see Manning being more of an efficient, game manager type QB in this offense. I still think he gets his numbers but they were not be the Manning type gaudy numbers we are used to. I also don't think it will effect the team winning as long as the team is bought in to the approach and of course Manning stays healthy with the Oline issues they have to contend with along with D. Thomas' hold out.

Gaudy..???

You say Gaudy ~~   I say impressive.

You know what the difference there is don't you... you're talking about Matt fricking Shaub. I can't think of a QB who even at his peak defined mediocrity better although Andy Dalton gives him a run for his money. 

Good enough to win games and hold down the job, not good enough to take win games by themselves. 

You know what the difference there is don't you... you're talking about Matt fricking Shaub. I can't think of a QB who even at his peak defined mediocrity better although Andy Dalton gives him a run for his money. 

Good enough to win games and hold down the job, not good enough to take win games by themselves. 

Yeah, I agree but Superman is the one that brought him up. I also don't think Flacco is near Manning's level either BUT it really isn't about any of that as much as the system itself. Denver has been very vocal this off-season about keeping Manning fresh and watching his pitch count given his age and injury last year that derailed the season. There is also a lot of talk on the Denver Post about Anderson assuming more of a role similar to Terrell Davis back in the late 90's. So you can see the commitment from the team to have this offense be more balanced with less work load for Manning. I don't think it takes a brain surgery to realize he is not going to have the same numbers as we are used to seeing from him and that is a good thing as this stage of his career. It still remains to be seen though how potent this offense will be as IMO Anderson is not on the same planet as Davis and that Oline is not very good. I think those factors may actually impact Manning's numbers more than just the system as we know any system is only as good as the players running it.

The Bronco's plan to run the ball is every team's plan every year. Then every team ends up throwing it. They might as have 2 record books. The old one and one that starts in 2010 because every top 10 record chart will soon be filled with records since then soon.

The Bronco's plan to run the ball is every team's plan every year. Then every team ends up throwing it. They might as have 2 record books. The old one and one that starts in 2010 because every top 10 record chart will soon be filled with records since then soon.

Seattle and Dallas stayed committed to the run the entire season last year. KC too.

They don't have the Oline of those teams either. That was not the point of BCs post though. There are teams that want to run and stay committed to the run and they have success doing it.

Not if they aren't winning games they don't

Not if they aren't winning games they don't

Yeah, I think that is the rub with Denver. If the run game is not there than you fall back on Manning. I think that is the scenario that Elway wants to avoid as he saw what happened last year when he was asked to carry things and got injured. He is one year older now and with this offense it would seem the hope is to be more like Dallas and have the run game off load so Manning can play action or bootleg and have the throws there. They have to limit IMO the amount of hits he takes. Not sacks. But hits. I think this as a good strategy for them at this point. We will find out soon enough if they have the personnel to carry it through.

Schaub was also frequently out of the game due to injury. If you average out his averages in games started over his time with Kubiak, you'd extrapolate his average out to 4,200 yards per 16 games played. For Matt Schaub, a slightly above average QB at his best.

Even using Flacco makes little sense, as he's never thrown for 4,000 yards, and Manning hasn't thrown for fewer than 4,000 yards in ten years, and only twice in his 16 years.

Long and short, Peyton Manning is just better than Schaub and Flacco, and no matter what the philosophy of the offense, he's going to be more productive and more efficient than either of them.

Schaub was also frequently out of the game due to injury. If you average out his averages in games started over his time with Kubiak, you'd extrapolate his average out to 4,200 yards per 16 games played. For Matt Schaub, a slightly above average QB at his best.

Even using Flacco makes little sense, as he's never thrown for 4,000 yards, and Manning hasn't thrown for fewer than 4,000 yards in ten years, and only twice in his 16 years.

Long and short, Peyton Manning is just better than Schaub and Flacco, and no matter what the philosophy of the offense, he's going to be more productive and more efficient than either of them.

I think Manning at 39 and a half is a bit of wild card especially after his season last year. Schaub and Flacco were in their primes under Kubiak. If anything, I would expect less production from Manning this season compared to them. But we will see how it all pans out. As I said, much will depend on that Oline holding up.

I think Manning at 39 and a half is a bit of wild card especially after his season last year. Schaub and Flacco were in their primes under Kubiak. If anything, I would expect less production from Manning this season compared to them. But we will see how it all pans out. As I said, much will depend on that Oline holding up.

Okay.

I love how Peyton is apparently this feeble old guy, only one hit away from forced retirement, while Brady is this unstoppable gladiator that will play well into his mid 40's.

I think with Peyton  you have a serious injury history with his neck which came into play with the quad injury last year as he needs his lower body to help him keep the velocity. For Brady, other than the knee from back in 2008, his arm looked as good as ever last year and he was also running more out of the pocket as well. There are some signs of decline but I would think he could go strong for another 2-3 seasons. I very much doubt he plays to 45 as he has claimed he wants too. But I suppose if anyone can beat father time, it is him. :)

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, July 9, 2015 - off topic
Hidden by Nadine, July 9, 2015 - off topic

I think with Peyton  you have a serious injury history with his neck which came into play with the quad injury last year as he needs his lower body to help him keep the velocity. For Brady, other than the knee from back in 2008, his arm looked as good as ever last year and he was also running more out of the pocket as well. There are some signs of decline but I would think he could go strong for another 2-3 seasons. I very much doubt he plays to 45 as he has claimed he wants too. But I suppose if anyone can beat father time, it is him. :)

Of course...Brady is the greatest most amazing athlete on the planet.  I'm pretty sure he's part cyborg.

It was a joke. Did you miss the :) ?

No I didn't miss it, just didn't realize that was your way of indicating it was a joke.  With some of the comments you've made about Brady before, I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised if you had been serious. ;)

No I didn't miss it, just didn't realize that was your way of indicating it was a joke. With some of the comments you've made about Brady before, I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised if you had been serious. ;)

I'm fairly certain she was serious. Some believe he is invicible and will continue to play at a high level for many years, :dunno: maybe ~ maybe not. ???

I undersrand her feeling that way, after all, many thought Peyton was done 4 years ago.....However, I didn't, and neither did Peyton.

I'm fairly certain she was serious. Some believe he is invicible and will continue to play at a high level for many years, :dunno: maybe ~ maybe not. ???

I undersrand her feeling that way, after all, many thought Peyton was done 4 years ago.....However, I didn't, and neither did Peyton.

yeah I kinda think so to.  A lot of people like to make outrageous claims, and then once they're called on it, they sidestep and say, "oh, I was just kidding". I'm not saying that's definitely what happened here...but I wouldn't be surprised ;)

I was not serious. I said so twice. If you don't want to take my word for it then so be it.

Sigh...ok it's every team's plan to run the ball but they end up throwing it except for the 2 teams with the 2 best OLs and RBs. 2 good running teams has got to be a record itself for this era.

Oh my. You really need to take a look at all 32 teams. There were a lot more than 2 teams that were committed to the run - KC, Jets, Bills, Dallas, Seattle, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Houston, etc ...

I think with Peyton you have a serious injury history with his neck which came into play with the quad injury last year as he needs his lower body to help him keep the velocity. For Brady, other than the knee from back in 2008, his arm looked as good as ever last year and he was also running more out of the pocket as well. There are some signs of decline but I would think he could go strong for another 2-3 seasons. I very much doubt he plays to 45 as he has claimed he wants too. But I suppose if anyone can beat father time, it is him. :)

Some of the things you say are just not quantifiable. "Brady running out of the pocket more" lol.

Every year Brady hasn't won the Super Bowl we hear about some nagging injury he had during the season.

I know you relish the chance to take veiled shots at Peyton by comparing him to schaub and flacco, but get real