Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dorsetts message to colts fans

RockThatBlue

Meh...talk is cheap...he will be known by his results...does he know the playbook, does he improve his route-running, does he catch everything thrown to him without drops (develop a pro's concentration), can he block a DB.

The guy has a very high opinion of himself and how much he will bring to the team...I hope he is putting in the hard work that is necessary to accomplish it.

Meh...talk is cheap...he will be known by his results...does he know the playbook, does he improve his route-running, does he catch everything thrown to him without drops (develop a pro's concentration), can he block a DB.

The guy has a very high opinion of himself and how much he will bring to the team...I hope he is putting in the hard work that is necessary to accomplish it.

He said he "wants" to not he "will". I don't understand how you came away from that video saying he has a high opinion of himself. He didn't say anything cocky.

why is he still wearing 16?

Those are the pictures that were taken of him right after he was drafted.   Those are what they have on record for now.

I'm sure in a short time, that will be updated.....    at least,  that's what I'd expect.....

There'd be an issue if he didn't have a high opinion of himself. You gotta have confidence.

I'd be feeling pretty cocky too. I mean c'mon...he just got drafted in the 1st round, to the colts, and Andrew Luck will be throwing him the ball. You wouldn't be feeling good about yourself if that happened to you?

Those are the pictures that were taken of him right after he was drafted.   Those are what they have on record for now.

I'm sure in a short time, that will be updated.....    at least,  that's what I'd expect.....

thats what I figured as well

He gets blasted for not saying the perfect thing...that sorta begs the question on what's perfect, no?

We drafted a WR in the first round, he better sound confident. I'm still iffy on this pick, someone better sound confident about it

I'd be like LeBron. I'd be like, yeah I know I'm good. I'm confident because I know I'm gonna be a star LOL. But for real Dorsett's going to be the man. Him and Hilton together will be a nightmare for secondary's, then throw in a couple big beasts like AJ and Moncrief.

We drafted a WR in the first round, he better sound confident. I'm still iffy on this pick, someone better sound confident about it

Yeah, I wanted a D player too.  I'm still not sold on this pick.  He better prove out to be something special, not just avg or avg+.

It is our D, if anything, that will prevent us from getting the Lombardi...we could have used a D pick.

Dorsett is just overkill at WR considering we have Andre, T.Y., Moncrief and Carter...not to mention 2 good receivers at TE...not enough footballs or playing time to spread around. We probably didn't need another WR this year...or even next.

They  better use Dorsett as the return man for everything this year...it's something that the team needs and that he can provide and he won't get in the way of the other WRs playing time.

I agree Dorsett better be amazing to warrant the draft pick. If Grigson whiffed on him and some of those guys we passed on become studs, it could be ugly for our GM.

That being said, I get the feeling Dorsett will be great.

It's all on Dorsett. A rookie WR can only ask for about 3 other QB'S to have throwing him the ball other Andrew Luck. Only way he fails is if he just flat out stinks. The offense & the QB in this offense has set him up to warrant the 1st round pick

It's all on him

Yeah, I wanted a D player too. I'm still not sold on this pick. He better prove out to be something special, not just avg or avg+.

It is our D, if anything, that will prevent us from getting the Lombardi...we could have used a D pick.

Dorsett is just overkill at WR considering we have Andre, T.Y., Moncrief and Carter...not to mention 2 good receivers at TE...not enough footballs or playing time to spread around. We probably didn't need another WR this year...or even next.

They better use Dorsett as the return man for everything this year...it's something that the team needs and that he can provide and he won't get in the way of the other WRs playing time.

Too be honest only 2 of those WR are established and AJ if 32 33? Moncreif shows alot of promise and carter is coming from the cfl... we haven't really been as stable with WR in the past 3 years and I think this is the most comfortable we've been at WR. I think Grigson nailed the rest of the draft drafting all defensive players besides Good at the 7th and like them all besides Perry, Idk why just not huge on him.

Yeah, I wanted a D player too.  I'm still not sold on this pick.  He better prove out to be something special, not just avg or avg+.

They  better use Dorsett as the return man for everything this year...it's something that the team needs and that he can provide and he won't get in the way of the other WRs playing time.

I have to disagree with you... All it would take is an injury to TY and suddenly that WR group wouldnt have looked so amazing.

Andre will be good sure, Moncrief is by no means a safe bet to make a huge leap and Carter hasnt even played a single NFL down yet....

Also next year, if we win the SB, who's to say we wouldnt lose AJ... if we did win it all, he might decide he wants to retire on a high. Maybe he doesnt pan out and we cut him? Who knows? You can never have too much of a good thing.

I'd be like LeBron. I'd be like, yeah I know I'm good. I'm confident because I know I'm gonna be a star LOL. But for real Dorsett's going to be the man. Him and Hilton together will be a nightmare for secondary's, then throw in a couple big beasts like AJ and Moncrief.

Worried?  Why would I be worried?  Im the best player in the world!! LOL

It's all on Dorsett. A rookie WR can only ask for about 3 other QB'S to have throwing him the ball other Andrew Luck. Only way he fails is if he just flat out stinks. The offense & the QB in this offense has set him up to warrant the 1st round pick

It's all on him

It really comes down to him making the most of his opportunities. With Hilton,AJ, Moncrief, Allen, and Fleener on the team, he won't see a lot of snaps. And the chance that he's actually targeted on those limited snaps is low. He'll have to shine in K/PR for starters.

But the real test will come when we face a team like Patriots who can lock up Hilton and a key receiver is down. That's when the spotlight will be directly on him.

There have already been several articles and video clips from Pagano and others saying they are amazed at how fast Dorsett is picking up the playbook and adjusting to be able to play anywhere they need him to as a WR, and have said his drops have been very limited.  I don't think he was brought in to block, though it will be a plus if he shows he can. 

Andre is a 1-3 year stop-gap.  TY is a free agent after next year.  Moncrief showed signs of potential last year but nothing he has shown to date guarantees he is going to be a consistent threat, especially in just his second year.  Carter seems to have potential, but has not shown it against an NFL caliber defense yet.  If healthy, those 4 WRs have potential to be a very good unit.  However, if Moncrief doesn't develop like we all hope (which is very possible), if Carter doesn't dominate the NFL like he did the CFL (most CFL players don't come in and dominate in the NFL right away), if Andre needs to be rested due to injury or age, or if TY goes down or goes quiet (TY has shown the past 2 years, his consistency goes way down when he is the focal point of opposing defenses) --- then all of the sudden we don't look so great at WR.

Luck, last year, threw for under 300 yards only one time in the 7 games Reggie Wayne and TY were playing healthy, in contrast to throwing for under 300 yards on 5 of 9 occassions after Reggie got banged up -- he did not throw for a QBR under 40 when he had a healthy Wayne, compared to 5 times having a QBR under 40 when Wayne was not playing or playing injured.  Coupled with TY's inconsistency without a healthy Reggie, it leads me to believe that our offense and Andrew Luck are better off when we have weapons on the field to compliment TY.  Dorsett is very similar to TY, though I think he may have more potential than TY, and definitely seems like a weapon to me.  When you have a franchise QB in Andrew Luck, surrounding him with weapons is NOT a bad idea. 

We did a lot in FA to address needs on D and then we did even more in the draft.  I trust in Grigs and our front office -- they've done nothing to make us not trust them (yea we have had a couple bad signings, like Landry, and Werner hasn't played to the level of a first round LB on a consistent basis yet, but nobody in the history of the NFL has had a perfect track record as a GM) -- Grigs literally inherited the worst team in all of football, with a not so bright future the way things were headed and has won double digits every season, gotten us in good cap shape, and has advanced a game in the playoffs each year (honestly, after the 2-14 season prior to Grigs, I thought it'd be at least 3 years before we even talked about playoffs again).  I stand by his picking of Dorsett and think we'll all see why at certain points this season.  Dorsett has come off as very humble to me ever since he has been drafted, so I'm not sure how you get the cockiness take on your evaluation of him, but if he has some confidence that is definitely not the worst trait for a WR to have.

There have already been several articles and video clips from Pagano and others saying they are amazed at how fast Dorsett is picking up the playbook and adjusting to be able to play anywhere they need him to as a WR, and have said his drops have been very limited.  I don't think he was brought in to block, though it will be a plus if he shows he can. 

Andre is a 1-3 year stop-gap.  TY is a free agent after next year.  Moncrief showed signs of potential last year but nothing he has shown to date guarantees he is going to be a consistent threat, especially in just his second year.  Carter seems to have potential, but has not shown it against an NFL caliber defense yet.  If healthy, those 4 WRs have potential to be a very good unit.  However, if Moncrief doesn't develop like we all hope (which is very possible), if Carter doesn't dominate the NFL like he did the CFL (most CFL players don't come in and dominate in the NFL right away), if Andre needs to be rested due to injury or age, or if TY goes down or goes quiet (TY has shown the past 2 years, his consistency goes way down when he is the focal point of opposing defenses) --- then all of the sudden we don't look so great at WR.

Luck, last year, threw for under 300 yards only one time in the 7 games Reggie Wayne and TY were playing healthy, in contrast to throwing for under 300 yards on 5 of 9 occassions after Reggie got banged up -- he did not throw for a QBR under 40 when he had a healthy Wayne, compared to 5 times having a QBR under 40 when Wayne was not playing or playing injured.  Coupled with TY's inconsistency without a healthy Reggie, it leads me to believe that our offense and Andrew Luck are better off when we have weapons on the field to compliment TY.  Dorsett is very similar to TY, though I think he may have more potential than TY, and definitely seems like a weapon to me.  When you have a franchise QB in Andrew Luck, surrounding him with weapons is NOT a bad idea. 

We did a lot in FA to address needs on D and then we did even more in the draft.  I trust in Grigs and our front office -- they've done nothing to make us not trust them (yea we have had a couple bad signings, like Landry, and Werner hasn't played to the level of a first round LB on a consistent basis yet, but nobody in the history of the NFL has had a perfect track record as a GM) -- Grigs literally inherited the worst team in all of football, with a not so bright future the way things were headed and has won double digits every season, gotten us in good cap shape, and has advanced a game in the playoffs each year (honestly, after the 2-14 season prior to Grigs, I thought it'd be at least 3 years before we even talked about playoffs again).  I stand by his picking of Dorsett and think we'll all see why at certain points this season.  Dorsett has come off as very humble to me ever since he has been drafted, so I'm not sure how you get the cockiness take on your evaluation of him, but if he has some confidence that is definitely not the worst trait for a WR to have.

Who was our QB in that 2-14 season?

So if Manning came back it would be 3 years before we "even talked Playoffs".     In the AFC South!!! lmao

TY is good, and his deep routes help keep the secondary deep. This kid will help with that very important aspect for years to come.

Who was our QB in that 2-14 season?

So if Manning came back it would be 3 years before we "even talked Playoffs".     In the AFC South!!! lmao

TY is good, and his deep routes help keep the secondary deep. This kid will help with that very important aspect for years to come.

Our team, as a whole, was the worst team in the league in 2011.  A big part of this was due to the way our team was structured (not just the QB) and the way it was being built by the Polians (I like Bill Polian and respect what he did in Indy to give us so many years of fun/competitive teams to watch, but think he wasn't adjusting to the game as he aged and his son Chris was not the best person to leave decision making up to).  I don't think Caldwell was a very good NFL head coach when he first started out (he seems to have improved in Detroit, but I was not very impressed with him in Indy), so the coaching change along with the front office change probably has a role.

Nobody was sure if Manning would be able to come back, and if he did come back and the Polians were still at the helm, I don't think our team would have been very good.  This, of course, is impossible to say because we don't know what Polian would have done in the offseasons.  My guess is, had Manning come back to that team with that coach we may have had a shot at the playoffs but no chance at advancing in them (he went to a much, much, much better Denver team and has lost a super bowl or been eliminated in playoffs in them -- so to think we'd be talking super bowl with Manning at them helm today, I think is a bit ludacris).  Additionally, the area where our team has struggled the most, which was a worse problem when Grigs first took over, is the offensive line so Peyton's neck and body may have struggled to withstand the beating he would have taken due to his inability to scramble, a trait Luck possesses which has kept him alive many times.

Fact of the matter is, Grigs inherited the worst team in the entire NFL and turned us into an 11 win team which has improved in the playoffs each of his first three years.  There is no arguing that.  There is also no arguing that he has completely rebuilt our team -- after 3 years the only players who were still around when he took control are Mathis, Castonzo, Pat McAffee, Vinatieri, and I think Reitz.  The point I was making is

This year we NEED Dorsett to be a 'return demon'...WR is covered...have him pretend he is Devin Hester unless that job is is beneath him.

This year we NEED Dorsett to be a 'return demon'...WR is covered...have him pretend he is Devin Hester unless that job is is beneath him.

I've read articles suggesting Moncrief might handle kick returning and Dorsett might handle punt returning.  I don't think we need him to be a return demon, though it would be very helpful.  My hope is that whoever our KR/PR is stays healthy and shows ability to help stretch the field and make our offense dominant.  Luck was on the path to set the single season passing yard record before Wayne got hurt last year, and if our weapons on O stay healthy, I think it is very feasible for him to break that or come very close this season -- with an improved line and running game, if we stay healthy, I think this team can become one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL.  

As far as PR/KR go -- KR has become so difficult to succeed at with the new rules because so many kicks are out of the endzone and PR is certainly very important for field position and to avoid turnovers.  I did not think Whalen was a very good PR (he was good at protecting the ball until he started trying to take risks) and Cribbs was too much of a liability (look no fruther than his fumble in the AFC championship game) -- so Dorsett does not have very big shoes to fill.  If we are improved in the area, I think it is a step in the right direction for our team -- I don't, however, think we need our own version of Devon Hester to be a very good team this year, though it would sure be nice.