Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Players Mad Over NBA Guaranteed Money

HOZER

IMO, the ones complaining should be happy with the ridiculous amount that they do get paid to play a game for a living. If you're not happy with what you get, become a better player so you get more money, or go play basketball?

And yes I know the potential for injuries and the reduced quality of life after retirement is there, know your limitations and get out while you're still healthy, or again, pick another profession.

Theres lots of people out there who risk their lives on a daily basis working dangerous jobs for a small fraction of what sports athletes get paid, and many of them have to deal with physical and health related(cancer,mental) issues after retirement.

Rant off.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/65719/20150702/nfl-players-complain-guaranteed-money-nba-free-agents-contracts.htm

I actually agree with the NFL players. NBA and MLB players have the cake and are eating it too. NFL players play in a more brutal sport with less longevity and non-guaranteed contracts. If anything, I would have to say NFL owners are far more business savvy and smarter to have the status quo in place. I have no idea how the NBA and MLB contracts got their status quo.

I would not mind rookie contracts, now that we have a rookie wage scale, to be guaranteed in the NFL since they are smaller compared to that of the veterans. I would not have said that prior to the rookie wage scale. I would also like RB contracts, given their shorter longevity in the NFL compared to other positions, be treated differently with an ability to re-negotiate after 2 years in the NFL???

Theres lots of people out there who risk their lives on a daily basis working dangerous jobs for a small fraction of what sports athletes get paid, and many of them have to deal with physical and health related(cancer,mental) issues after retirement.

Maybe they should learn to play basketball. 

The MLB needs to be more like the NFL. In the NFL if someone sucks then you can release them and only own them so much. In Baseball you end up stuck with losers like BJ Upton. If a player signs a big contract then sucks you should be able to get out of it.  Look at how much it happens in baseball. Josh Hamilton, BJ Upton, Dan Uggla. I mean come on. Perform or don't. Get paid or don't. And there needs to be a max contract in every sport. Its ridiculous Stanton and them guys getting 300 million dollars.

All of their money should be guaranteed. NFL stands for not for long. Their career longevity is very short. If baseball players get their money, NFL players should definitely get all their money too.

All of their money should be guaranteed. NFL stands for not for long. Their career longevity is very short. If baseball players get their money, NFL players should definitely get all their money too.

Then what if the player isn't living up to the contract? The team that's paying him is screwed by paying a guy who isn't performing, and taking the cap hit too. If a guy doesn't perform then the team should be able to release him and get out of the contract.

Then what if the player isn't living up to the contract? The team that's paying him is screwed by paying a guy who isn't performing, and taking the cap hit too. If a guy doesn't perform then the team should be able to release him and get out of the contract.

I'm sure you could work it out so a certain amount of the players salary wouldn't count against the salary cap if they were released. 

If you gave a player an absurd contract or he isn't performing up to expectation, then it's on the team. There's consequences for every decision a team make. They shouldn't be allowed to duck out a deal. They gave that player a deal and they should be held accountable if he turns out to be a screw up.

I'm sure you could work it out so a certain amount of the players salary wouldn't count against the salary cap if they were released. 

That could work. Isn't that similar to the Bobby Bonilla situation or am I mistaken?

The roster size alone makes it quite difficult to pay NFL players the huge contracts that the NBA and MLB pay their players. The NBA and MLB have so many more games to collect money on while the NFL only has 16 plus the playoffs. Even the playoff systems are so different. NFL doesn't have the best of 7 in their playoff system.

The roster size alone makes it quite difficult to pay NFL players the huge contracts that the NBA and MLB pay their players. The NBA and MLB have so many more games to collect money on while the NFL only has 16 plus the playoffs. Even the playoff systems are so different. NFL doesn't have the best of 7 in their playoff system.

That's what i was getting at

You do realize how much money the nfl makes, right? If so then you also realize the statement you made isn't really true...

You do realize how much money the nfl makes, right? If so then you also realize the statement you made isn't really true...

yeah and the average worth of each NBA team is about 50 percent more than the average worth of an NFL team.... AND the NBA has a fourth of the players to pay..... so hmmmmmm

$NBA /~480 players > $NFL / ~1700 players....

yeah and the average worth of each NBA team is about 50 percent more than the average worth of an NFL team.... AND the NBA has a fourth of the players to pay..... so hmmmmmm

$NBA /~480 players > $NFL / ~1700 players....

You must have forgotten how profitable the nfl is. On what planet is the average worth of an NFL team less than an NBA team? Sure the value of nba teams went up with the new TV deal coming in (also ballmer overpaying for the clippers) , but they're still worth less than an NFL team on average. There's a reason those 32 teams are worth more than the MLB and nba combined. The money is there. It's on the players and nfl pa to negotiate for better contracts and guaranteed pay in the next cba negotiations. nfl-franchise-values.png

The NBA only has 10 or 11 players to pay? The NFL has 53 plus a 10 man practice squad. The NBA is not having to pay for a bunch of lawsuits either. The NFL has around 3 coaches to pay and the NFL has what? 10? . The overhead in the NFL is astronomical compared to the NBA. Just the travel expenses to move a NFL team is staggering over the cost of a NBA team traveling. If you broke down the percentage of profit on the bottom line I would believe a NBA owner makes more than a NFL owner.

You must have forgotten how profitable the nfl is. On what planet is the average worth of an NFL team less than an NBA team? Sure the value of nba teams went up with the new TV deal coming in (also ballmer overpaying for the clippers) , but they're still worth less than an NFL team on average. There's a reason those 32 teams are worth more than the MLB and nba combined. The money is there. It's on the players and nfl pa to negotiate for better contracts and guaranteed pay in the next cba negotiations. nfl-franchise-values.png

You are looking at total amount of money. Break it down with the cost of overhead for a NFL team over a NBA team and you will see that the NFL's cost is astronomical compared to a NBA team. It takes that amount of money to run a NFL over a NBA team. Having more money on paper does not automatically mean it is making more money.

i think that saying "the value of nba teams went up with the new TV deal" is an understatement considering the NBA franchise value increased by 74 percent since that chart was released by business insider. yeah, i also may have exaggerated the comparative worth of NBA teams vs NFL teams but even if they were exactly the same, the delineation of profits still holds true with the amount of NBA vs NFL players. …

Maybe the league can get together and talk about making football a 5 on 5 sport with a 12 man roster for each team… then the players will get tons of money…. Course we might start hearing Love and Leonard complaining about how they don’t get high paying contracts like people in the NFL…

You can't give NFL players a lot of guaranteed money because the careers are so short (3 years) and the injuries. If contracts were completely guaranteed the teams would be capsized under dead money.

Speaking of dead money, I always find this amusing every July 1st:

Happy Bobby Bonilla Mets Pay Day - Yes, July 1 is when Bobby Bonilla annually gets a check from the Mets for $1,193,248.20, just as he does every year and will continue to do so through 2035.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25229757/happy-bobby-bonilla-pay-day-from-the-mets

I think the fact that the injury risk is so high is why they DON'T need guaranteed contracts. If they guarantee then then it needs to be on a game by game basis. $64M guaranteed for example should be broken down to a $4M paycheck per game they start.

Otherwise, stop complaining cause I have no sympathy. You want a secure future? Stop living lavishly and save your dang money like a normal person.

I actually agree with the NFL players. NBA and MLB players have the cake and are eating it too. NFL players play in a more brutal sport with less longevity and non-guaranteed contracts. If anything, I would have to say NFL owners are far more business savvy and smarter to have the status quo in place. I have no idea how the NBA and MLB contracts got their status quo.

I would not mind rookie contracts, now that we have a rookie wage scale, to be guaranteed in the NFL since they are smaller compared to that of the veterans. I would not have said that prior to the rookie wage scale. I would also like RB contracts, given their shorter longevity in the NFL compared to other positions, be treated differently with an ability to re-negotiate after 2 years in the NFL???

I'm not paying a guy $40M guaranteed only to have him get injured in preseason, sit out a whole year and then quote possibly have to medically retire. Sorry not sorry, cry your 'poor me I'm not rich enough' junk elsewhere.

You can't give NFL players a lot of guaranteed money because the careers are so short (3 years) and the injuries. If contracts were completely guaranteed the teams would be capsized under dead money.

Speaking of dead money, I always find this amusing every July 1st:

Happy Bobby Bonilla Mets Pay Day - Yes, July 1 is when Bobby Bonilla annually gets a check from the Mets for $1,193,248.20, just as he does every year and will continue to do so through 2035.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25229757/happy-bobby-bonilla-pay-day-from-the-mets

Either Bonilla was incredibly forward thinking or he had the best agent ever. That's a sweet deal.

You are looking at total amount of money. Break it down with the cost of overhead for a NFL team over a NBA team and you will see that the NFL's cost is astronomical compared to a NBA team. It takes that amount of money to run a NFL over a NBA team. Having more money on paper does not automatically mean it is making more money.

They just earned record profits, they are not hurting on money. Despite the cost, the NFL and the teams are making more money than ever. 

I'm not paying a guy $40M guaranteed only to have him get injured in preseason, sit out a whole year and then quote possibly have to medically retire. Sorry not sorry, cry your 'poor me I'm not rich enough' junk elsewhere.

Sounds like you need to get over your issue you have with someone being good enough at what they do that it earns them millions. Maybe try looking at this objectively. I know it's a bit hard, but trust me it's possible.

Those players who want/need more money because they are 'superstars' already make that' 'guaranteed' money in the form of endorsements.  most of the big name players such as 'Manning, Brady, Watt, Rodgers, ect make more in endorsements than their actual NFL paycheck.  And because of their fame, they generally continue to receive these endorsements well after their NFL careers are over

The 'second tier' players are the ones who have the most to complain about.  They do not get nearly enough of the endorsements to compile, and yet they are definitely important enough to a team and skilled enough to warrant these guaranteed  contracts.-AKA Vonte Davis, Emmanual Sanders, Jason Witten, ect-.

The ones whom are on the team but have no real names to the world in large are the ones whom are fighting for a job day in day out.  Just happy to have a job playing a sport for now and ride it as long as they can.  Those are the guys who need to put alot of their paychecks back and save for that rainy day they know will come soon enough.

Such a dumb argument. The NFL salary cap is way bigger than the NBA's, and it's 89% guaranteed to the players in four year chunks. The league is 500% bigger, and they play 1/5th of the games. Player longevity is completely incomparable. No wonder the average salaries and the guaranteed money is less; it should be, using basic business principles.

No question the NFL should do more to promote player development and longevity, and minimum contracts could be larger for young players. But the NFL should stay as far away as possible from the madness that is NBA contract structure. Slightly above average players getting max contracts just because, fully guaranteed almost always... Brendan Haywood made $10m last year for 119 minutes, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. He'll make another $10m next year, unless he's waived before the end of the month. Kobe Bryant is going to make $25m as a 39 year old who can't stay healthy, and while he was relatively underpaid most of his career due to max contract limits, there's no reason he should be fully guaranteed that kind of money to weigh down a bad team. Nicolas Batum makes $13m/year. Deron Williams is the 5th highest paid player in the league. It's all pretty ridiculous.

I get why NFL players get a little twitchy around this time of year. But economics is what it is. The NFL isn't going to adopt NBA compensation models, nor should it, ever.

They just earned record profits, they are not hurting on money. Despite the cost, the NFL and the teams are making more money than ever.

Sounds like you need to get over your issue you have with someone being good enough at what they do that it earns them millions. Maybe try looking at this objectively. I know it's a bit hard, but trust me it's possible.

No actually I don't. They deserve to be paid what the market deems they are worth. But I refuse to believe these guys deserve fully guaranteed contracts with the risk of injury. A team like Dallas would have been destroyed over the past couple of years with how many people were injured. How can you tell me that if I guarantee a dude $40M over 5 years fully guaranteed is in any way reasonable when they get injured in the first year of the contract and then can't play anymore. Now the franchise is stuck with $8M every year paying that guy and he isn't even in the league any more. Are you serious? There is no way any business would ever do that. Do you get paid to not show up to work for a year?

You have guys like Gronk living smartly and thinking long term, then you have guys that say they can't live off of $500,000 a year!? Their health insurance is covered so what huge expenses do they have? Stop buying 5 bedroom houses when you only live by yourself, stop buying $250k cars, app buying everything for every member of your family if you're having such a hard time.

Again, no sympathy for these guys that earn more than the average person in JUST THREE HOURS.

Here how's this? If I guarantee $60M over 5 years, that's $12M a year BUT on a game by game basis if they are healthy to start. So that would be $750k every game they start guaranteed. However if they get injured then they get 1/10th of the whole contract for that year. So they would still get paid $6.4M for that injured year. That sound fair?

Have your union get a better CBA other wise you need to take part of the blame here because your union agreed to the deal that sets this pay. 

I am sorry but I am tired of reading stories about players complaining about things in the CBA and acting like they had no control or say in the matter. 

Have your union get a better CBA other wise you need to take part of the blame here because your union agreed to the deal that sets this pay.

I am sorry but I am tired of reading stories about players complaining about things in the CBA and acting like they had no control or say in the matter.

1/4 of the players weren't even in the league in 2011.

money is out of control in the NBA but it's out of control in most major sports and will be in the NFL when their TV deal comes up too.

Nope, the NFL is the league where good players get cut because their salaries don't match their production. You'll never see barely average role players taking up 7-10% of the cap. The money might be ridiculous, but aside from young stars on rookie contracts, players typically get paid in accordance with their value and production.

IMO, the ones complaining should be happy with the ridiculous amount that they do get paid to play a game for a living. If you're not happy with what you get, become a better player so you get more money, or go play basketball?

And yes I know the potential for injuries and the reduced quality of life after retirement is there, know your limitations and get out while you're still healthy, or again, pick another profession.

Rant off.

You've never going to have a lot of fully guaranteed contracts in football because of the injury factor.

Look at Denver's Ryan Clady...out for his second full season at full pay.

Our Bob Sanders got paid for full (or nearly full) seasons he did not play.

Owners are never going to give in on that.

When you pay LeBron 20 mil, you can be fairly sure he'll play most of the games

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/65719/20150702/nfl-players-complain-guaranteed-money-nba-free-agents-contracts.htm

Here how's this? If I guarantee $60M over 5 years, that's $12M a year BUT on a game by game basis if they are healthy to start. So that would be $750k every game they start guaranteed. However if they get injured then they get 1/10th of the whole contract for that year. So they would still get paid $6.4M for that injured year. That sound fair?

Actually that does sound fair.

If you define injured as 'injured reserve' I think the owners and the NFLPA might go for that.

You would have a lot of players howling when they get put on injured reserve though.

The players would lie and say they weren't hurt to collect the full check...