Suspensions

tvturner

NFL is selling them like hotcakes.

Sheldon Richardson - 4 games - Weed

Antonio Gates - 4 games - PEDs

Datone Jones - 1 game - Substance abuse policy

Rolando McClain - 4 games - Substance abuse policy

Wonder who's next, hope its not a Colt.

If players are going to be stupid, what is the league supposed to do ignore it? Though that's probably what the PA wants. Heaven forbid any player gets punished for doing something that is against the rules

Will be interesting to see if any of them appeal ... does not seem as if Gates or Richardson will.

They should stop testing for weed. The NBA stopped testing for it years ago

They don't test for it during the season.  (my guess is they're focused on the performance ehhancing drugs at that time, and weed is anything but, and a good pain reliever too).  Just during the off season.  But, if a player(s) has ever tested positive once for anything, he is tested for everything about anytime anywhere (well, not strictly, but you get the point) all year.

They don't test for it during the season. (my guess is they're focused on the performance ehhancing drugs at that time, and weed is anything but, and a good pain reliever too). Just during the off season. But, if a player(s) has ever tested positive once for anything, he is tested for everything about anytime anywhere (well, not strictly, but you get the point) all year.

They shouldn't test for weed at all .

They shouldn't test for weed at all .

Fair enough, you are entitle to that opinion.

OTOH, If I was an owner / GM, I'd vote for continued testing in the off season.  If a guy can't stop for period to go to a combine or pro day, or even be clean during his college playing career, he may not have the capability to make smart decisions as part of an NFL organization and I'd probably pass on him.  Case in Point, Josh Gordon. I was against the Colts forfeiting any top 3 draft pick to take him in the supplemental draft. Soon to be case in point... Randy Gregory.  (though I hope, but doubt) he can turn it around.  At least it take a few fails to get to that 4 and 10 game suspensions.  I think Gordon's next violation is a one year ban.  What a help he is to the Browns.  There's more examples, but either you value high character in your players that can make smart decisions for the betterment of himself and team, or you don't  care about that, just talent.  Choices...

Fair enough, you are entitle to that opinion.

OTOH, If I was an owner / GM, I'd vote for continued testing in the off season. If a guy can't stop for period to go to a combine or pro day, or even be clean during his college playing career, he may not have the capability to make smart decisions as part of an NFL organization and I'd probably pass on him. Case in Point, Josh Gordon. I was against the Colts forfeiting any top 3 draft pick to take him in the supplemental draft. Soon to be case in point... Randy Gregory. (though I hope, but doubt) he can turn it around. At least it take a few fails to get to that 4 and 10 game suspensions. I think Gordon's next violation is a one year ban. What a help he is to the Browns. There's more examples, but either you value high character in your players that can make smart decisions for the betterment of himself and team, or you don't care about that, just talent. Choices...

If they didn't test for weed, those players wouldn't be missing games. That is why the NBA stopped testing their players

I agree. Especially since it is now legal in Colorado and Washington. Do you think they should suspend a player if he gets busted by the law for possession in one of the states where it is not legal yet?

If its felony possession I guess. But that would be unlikely for these guys

If they didn't test for weed, those players wouldn't be missing games. That is why the NBA stopped testing their players

They don't in the NFL either, during the season.  Unless you have already proven to have messed up.  Those that fail at around the combine / Pro day get no sympathy.  Shows they are more of a Me guy and not a Team guy.  Someone else can have him.

They don't in the NFL either, during the season. Unless you have already proven to have messed up. Those that fail at around the combine / Pro day get no sympathy. Shows they are more of a a Me guy and not a Team guy. Someone can have him.

If they don't during the season, why do they in the off season? Makes no sense

If they don't during the season, why do they in the off season? Makes no sense

Same has briefly crossed my mind.  Especially in light that the NFL does not suspend a player for failing the PED test in the off season with a stimulant (Meth, Adderall, Actifed/Sudafed, ...) like they do during the season.  So my guess is it is for the younger guys...  at the combine and Pro Day.  Owners / GM's / Coaches want to know who is clean at those events.  Failed tests  might indicate judgement and / or character issues that may later be problematic for a football organization.  It could affect draft staus.  Scott Pioli would take Justin Houston in round 3.  No one did before that. Others might have him even farther down.  But one mans character issue guy is another's bargain; but at risk.

What is interestng, it is only a 4 month period the NFL tests for Substance of Abuse -

• Cocaine

• Marijuana

• "Amphetamines and its analogs"

• Opiates ("total morphine and codeine")

• Opioids ("hydrocodone, oxycodone")

• PCP

• "MDMA and its analogues"

and also PED's.  Notice stimulants (Amphetamines) are in the first list in off season, but drop down to the PED list during the season.  The NFL has talked of making the weed OK for medicinal use, but has no desire to change the rules concerning it at this time.

Same has briefly crossed my mind. Especially in light that the NFL does not suspend a player for failing the PED test in the off season with a stimulant (Meth, Adderall, Actifed/Sudafed, ...) like they do during the season. So my guess is it is for the younger guys... at the combine and Pro Day. Owners / GM's / Coaches want to know who is clean at those events. Failed tests might indicate judgement and / or character issues that may later be problematic for a football organization. It could affect draft staus. Scott Pioli would take Justin Houston in round 3. No one did before that. Others might have him even farther down. But one mans character issue guy is another's bargain; but at risk.

What is interestng, it is only a 4 month period the NFL tests for Substance of Abuse -

• Cocaine

• Marijuana

• "Amphetamines and its analogs"

• Opiates ("total morphine and codeine")

• Opioids ("hydrocodone, oxycodone")

• PCP

• "MDMA and its analogues"

and also PED's. Notice stimulants (Amphetamines) are in the first list in off season, but drop down to the PED list during the season. The NFL has talked of making the weed OK for medicinal use, but has no desire to change the rules concerning it at this time.

I wondered the same thing. It did not make sense to test in the off-season and not during the season. Is it in the collective bargaining agreement?

Quote:

How could so many players smoke marijuana and not get caught by the NFL, which tests for it?

The collective bargain agreement states that players not in the substance-abuse program due to a violation are subject to one test for substances of abuse, including marijuana, from April 20 through Aug. 9. But to save costs, one team union official explained, much of the testing is done during training camp because all of the players are in one place.

Then a player is not tested again until the following year. The only way that would change is if someone is stupid enough to smoke near, or during, that predictable testing window.

"You know when the test is," one player said, who is also a union official. "Once you pass it, you can do as much as you want all year."

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2486218-banned-but-bountiful-marijuana-coveted-by-nfl-players-as-invaluable-painkiller

I wondered the same thing. It did not make sense to test in the off-season and not during the season. Is it in the collective bargaining agreement?

Quote:

How could so many players smoke marijuana and not get caught by the NFL, which tests for it?

The collective bargain agreement states that players not in the substance-abuse program due to a violation are subject to one test for substances of abuse, including marijuana, from April 20 through Aug. 9. But to save costs, one team union official explained, much of the testing is done during training camp because all of the players are in one place.

Then a player is not tested again until the following year. The only way that would change is if someone is stupid enough to smoke near, or during, that predictable testing window.

"You know when the test is," one player said, who is also a union official. "Once you pass it, you can do as much as you want all year."

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2486218-banned-but-bountiful-marijuana-coveted-by-nfl-players-as-invaluable-painkiller

Exactly.  But here is the kicker, as I have pointed out in earlier posts.  If a player fails any drug test, at any time for any substance, he is placed in stage 1 of the treatment program.  Said player is now subject to random drug tests (within loose limits) all year long, for Any_Substance, including abuse drugs and not just PED's. 

So, if you are a college athlete going to the combine to get drafted... Dont smoke in the week or to leading up to it!!  If you're a vet, cut it off a few weeks before camp.

Pass your drug test!  

If they can't or won't do it, this is the Red Flag GM's talk about.  Because they know you have to be either totally irreverent to the rules of the league (and thus also the team), or incapable of handling your decision making business outside of on the field play.

Exactly. But here is the kicker, as I have pointed out in earlier posts. If a player fails any drug test, at any time for any substance, he is placed in stage 1 of the treatment program. Said player is now subject to random drug tests (within loose limits) all year long, for Any_Substance, including abuse drugs and not just PED's.

So, if you are a college athlete going to the combine to get drafted... Dont smoke in the week or to leading up to it!! If you're a vet, cut it off a few weeks before camp.

Pass your drug test!

If they can't or won't do it, this is the Red Flag GM's talk about. Because they know you have to be either totally irreverent to the rules of the league (and thus also the team), or incapable of handling your decision making business outside of on the field play.

I agree. That is probably why Randy Gregory slipped so far. He admitted to having a problem controlling his use of marijuana.

As of Saturday

• Buffalo Bills:  Marcell Dareus, 1 game.  Possession of a banned substance.  
  • Chicago Bears:  Eben Britton, 4 games.  Drug policy, probably -- the league did not specify.
  • Cleveland Browns:  Josh Gordon is banned.  Substance abuse repeat offender.  Suspended for at least all of this season.
  • Dallas Cowboys:  Greg Hardy, 10 games.  Domestic violence.
  • Dallas Cowboys:  Rolando McClain, 4 games.  Drug policy.
  • Green Bay Packers:  Datone Jones, 1 game.  Possession of a banned substance.
  • Indianapolis Colts:  LaRon Landry, 10 games.  PED repeat offender.
  • Indianapolis Colts:  Ahmad Bradshaw, 1 game.  Marijuana possession.
  • Miami Dolphins:  Dion Jordan is banned.  Substance abuse repeat offender, same situation as Gordon.
  • New England Patriots:  LeGarrette Blount, 1 game.  Marijuana possession.
  • New England Patriots:  Tom Brady, 4 games.  Ballghazi, for now.
  • New York Giants:  Victor Butler, 4 games.  PEDs.
  • New York Jets:  Sheldon Richardson, 4 games.  Substance abuse policy.
  • Pittsburgh Steelers:  Le'Veon Bell, 3 games, and a fourth game check fined.  Same incident as Blount, but seen as more responsible for it.
  • San Diego Chargers:  Antonio Gates, 4 games.  PEDs.
  • St. Louis Rams:  Trey Watts, 4 games.  Substance abuse policy.

As of Saturday

• Buffalo Bills: Marcell Dareus, 1 game. Possession of a banned substance.
  • Chicago Bears: Eben Britton, 4 games. Drug policy, probably -- the league did not specify.
  • Cleveland Browns: Josh Gordon is banned. Substance abuse repeat offender. Suspended for at least all of this season.
  • Dallas Cowboys: Greg Hardy, 10 games. Domestic violence.
  • Dallas Cowboys: Rolando McClain, 4 games. Drug policy.
  • Green Bay Packers: Datone Jones, 1 game. Possession of a banned substance.
  • Indianapolis Colts: LaRon Landry, 10 games. PED repeat offender.
  • Indianapolis Colts: Ahmad Bradshaw, 1 game. Marijuana possession.
  • Miami Dolphins: Dion Jordan is banned. Substance abuse repeat offender, same situation as Gordon.
  • New England Patriots: LeGarrette Blount, 1 game. Marijuana possession.
  • New England Patriots: Tom Brady, 4 games. Ballghazi, for now.
  • New York Giants: Victor Butler, 4 games. PEDs.
  • New York Jets: Sheldon Richardson, 4 games. Substance abuse policy.
  • Pittsburgh Steelers: Le'Veon Bell, 3 games, and a fourth game check fined. Same incident as Blount, but seen as more responsible for it.
  • San Diego Chargers: Antonio Gates, 4 games. PEDs.
  • St. Louis Rams: Trey Watts, 4 games. Substance abuse policy.

Bradshaw isn't on the colts roster

Greg Hardy is a good guy, his ex was totally loco. Admitted to cocaine use, hitting him with her heeled shoe, refused to show up for trial. I'm sorry, but the latter warrants an automatic black mark. Innocent people don't run from the police or refuse to testify against their defendants.

In the end, he paid a few thousand dollars just so it'd go away. In light of the media circus following the Ray Rice saga, he was in a no-win situation anyways.