Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 10 Colts Players with most to prove (Pinned)

TKnight24

List put together starting from 10.... coming in at #10 and the first on the list....... RB Vick Ballard

Article:

#10 - Vick Ballard

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/12518/colts-player-with-the-most-to-prove-in-2015-no-10-vick-ballard

Tweet:

https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNFL/status/616719514407825408

To avoid making this into multiple threads each time one is dropped, I'll just place all 10 in this thread. Maybe mods can pin it or something

:coltslogo:

Edited by MTC

Vick just needs to prove he can stay healthy. We already know what he can do on the field. He doesn't really have anything to prove in that sense. He just needs to show he can stay healthy

Disagree. He absolutely needs to prove he can stay healthy, but he also needs to prove he can still play. We knew what he could do on the field 3 years and 2 big injuries ago. We now have a solid stable of guys, healthy guys, fighting for the same spot.

I'm pulling for Vick, but he has an up hill battle.

Disagree. He absolutely needs to prove he can stay healthy, but he also needs to prove he can still play. We knew what he could do on the field 3 years and 2 big injuries ago. We now have a solid stable of guys, healthy guys, fighting for the same spot.

I'm pulling for Vick, but he has an up hill battle.

I guess that's true.  We need to see what toll those injuries have taken on him.

Why Allen?

I put DA (who caught a bunch of TDs last season) high on the list of players with something to prove mostly because it's a contract year for him and I believe that he may be on the bubble.

His health this season might be the deciding factor regarding his future with the team.

I'd almost (but not quite) put all of the 2012 draft class on the list, but I think that DA proving he can stay healthy is a larger issue than Fleener's consistency or whether or not T.Y. can beat double coverage.

My hope is that Allen's injury prone days are behind him and he stays here because he is a big asset to the team when healthy.

Because Allen is a top 5 TE talent who has been slowed by injuries and a coordinator who neglects him.

Yeah I don't think Pep neglects DA.  I think it's more a case of Pep has no other choice than to keep DA in to block more often than not due to injury and inconsistency from the OL.

Yeah I don't think Pep neglects DA.  I think it's more a case of Pep has no other choice than to keep DA in to block more often than not due to injury and inconsistency from the OL.

That's nice. 300 routes run to Fleener's 500. That is neglect to me, no matter how you slice it. He is too good of a receiving weapon to keep him in as a blocker so much. Sadly, with even more weapons this year I see more of the same in DA's future and I doubt he'll re-sign here next year if that's the case, which I wouldn't blame him for one bit.

That's nice. 300 routes run to Fleener's 500. That is neglect to me, no matter how you slice it. He is too good of a receiving weapon to keep him in as a blocker so much. Sadly, with even more weapons this year I see more of the same in DA's future and I doubt he'll re-sign here next year if that's the case, which I wouldn't blame him for one bit.

It's well known that Allen is the better blocker than Fleener.  Fleener has improved, but he's still not the blocker Allen is.  Would you rather they keep the inferior player in to help block and protect the QB just to give Allen more chances to catch passes?  It sucks that Allen hasn't been able to be utilized more in the passing game, but I don't think it has anything to do with Pep just not wanting to get him involved. 

It's well known that Allen is the better blocker than Fleener.  Fleener has improved, but he's still not the blocker Allen is.  Would you rather they keep the inferior player in to help block and protect the QB just to give Allen more chances to catch passes?  It sucks that Allen hasn't been able to be utilized more in the passing game, but I don't think it has anything to do with Pep just not wanting to get him involved. 

Like I said, any way you want to slice it, Allen is being neglected in the passing game.

Actually, now that I look, Coby was use 274 times in blocking situations to Allen's 261. Complete neglect.

Like I said, any way you want to slice it Allen is being neglected in the passing game.

Well, that's simply too bad.  Protecting Luck is a bit more important than making sure that DA gets to run as many routes as CF.

Well, that's simply too bad.  Protecting Luck is a bit more important than making sure that DA gets to run as many routes as CF.

Yeah, it'll be too bad when he shows he is a top 5 TE for another team in 2016 and onward.

Also, Fleener was used 274 times in blocking situations to Allen's 261.

Yeah, it'll be too bad when he shows he is a top 5 TE for another team in 2016 and onward.

First he has to show he can stay healthy for a full season before he can show he is a top 5 TE.  If he does wind up leaving Indy and signs somewhere else, well, that sucks but you can't keep everybody.  At this point, I'd keep Fleener over Allen simply for the durability factor.

Also, Fleener was used 274 times in blocking situations to Allen's 261.

And that was obviously over the course of the same number of downs/games played, right?

First he has to show he can stay healthy for a full season before he can show he is a top 5 TE.  If he does wind up leaving Indy and signs somewhere else, well, that sucks but you can't keep everybody.  At this point, I'd keep Fleener over Allen simply for the durability factor.

He was a top 10 TE, top 5 imo, his rookie season. He does need to prove he can stay healthy, and I think he will. At this point, I still keep Allen over Fleener. Fleener really doesn't do anything better than Allen, imo. I like Fleener, and would love to keep them both, but he's an easier TE talent to replace.

And that was obviously over the course of the same number of downs/games played, right?

No, I forgot Allen missed 3 games last year, which reinforces the fact that he needs to prove he can stay healthy.

He was a top 10 TE, top 5 imo, his rookie season. He does need to prove he can stay healthy, and I think he will. At this point, I still keep Allen over Fleener. Fleener really doesn't do anything better than Allen, imo. I like Fleener, and would love to keep them both, but he's an easier TE talent to replace.

No, I forgot Allen missed 3 games last year, which reinforces the fact that he needs to prove he can stay healthy.

Gotcha.  I didn't think there was any way that was in the same number of games played. lol  For the record though, I do think that, overall, Fleener is the better receiving threat.

Gotcha. I didn't think there was any way that was in the same number of games played. lol For the record though, I do think that, overall, Fleener is the better receiving threat.

That's fine, I feel confident if Allen was used in Fleener's role he would outperform Fleener pretty significantly. That's why I hate to see him pigeonholed as mostly a blocker/short route tree TE. It's a waste of a very talented player.

You may remember that when people were bashing Fleener his rookie and into his 2nd year, I was one of the ones defending him as you were. So, I'm not trying to take anything away from Fleener, he's progressed greatly. I just feel Allen is that talented. When he's healthy he has little weakness.

What, exactly, do these guys need to "prove"? That they can compete in the NFL? That they can stay healthy for a full season?

I feel like everyone that is not a rookie, yet still made the team, has "proven" themselves.  Ballard "proved" himself to be a good player, when healthy, his rookie season.  Allen has "proved" himself, when healthy, to be a TD machine.

The rookies are the only ones that have yet to "prove" they can compete in the NFL.

If you think about it, Andrew Luck has the most to "prove".

Prove you're worth the #1 overall pick.

Prove you're worth the insane contract you're going to sign soon, probably making you the highest paid player in the NFL.

Prove you're worthy of being compared to Manning and Brady.

Prove you're worth being the face of the NFL.

Prove you're worth the insane contract you're going to sign soon, probably making you the highest paid player in the NFL.

Well, you can't really make comparisons of career success with guys who have been in the league for the better part of 2 decades each.  But, after 3 years, he's certainly surpassed Manning by a mile and statistically he's better than Brady as well 3 years in.  He's done more with less than any QB in history and if we could just build a solid Defense and decent O-Line I think he'll continue to exceed them year by year.  Brady has Belichick who deserves as much credit for his team success as Brady does.  Luck has thrived in SPITE of his  coaches and GM.   The challenge coming up to field a decent team around him within the salary cap is a challenge I fear our staff won't be up to.  There's been too many misses in drafts and our team is ancient right now.  If Belichick had been coaching with Luck, they'd likely have 2 Super Bowl appearances and at least 1 win already.  

Wahhhhhhhhh, I hate to think that though... :(  We really do have the best TE duo in the league

I would say that both Luck and Chuck have a lot to prove this year...

I don't think it's very far fetched to say that Luck needs to earn that mega contract and Pagano needs to earn his extension.

I don't know about top 10, but it's not like we are going to pay these guys for last year's production. They have to go get it in '15...

It's one of the reasons why I don't hate the FO's decision not to re-sign Luck after last season... I don't love it, but can't hate it either... I smell SB in '15.

Question why do people keep saying Allen has to prove he can stay healthy?  

Granted he missed all of his 2nd season due to injury but wasn't he available for every game this year as well as his rookie year.

I don't see a pattern of injuries yet.