Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Return of Favre Watch: 2011 Edition

John Waylon

I was just making the comment the other day "You know, the best thing about this lockout has been I haven't had to hear about Favre, his diddle, or another ill-fated comeback."

Well, this may be the best sign that the lockout is close to being over yet: Reports of Favre interested in a comeback are surfacing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/05/no-escape-from-brett-favre-comeback-talk/

Maybe the lockout isn't such a bad thing............ :scared:

Oh, you've got to be kidding me. Again? Please God, no. Not that. Gotta agree with Shakedownstreet, no matter how illogical is it, someone would sign him. Honestly, I got so sick of this Favre-Watch stuff before, that it's beginning to feel a little like a roach infestation now - you just want it gone, and you don't care how.

Nope. I don't see it happening. He really looked terrible last year and not the best the year before that.

Time to give it up . . . No more Please!

Although I do agree the lockout is almost over.

Time to get back to football topics and other things happening in the NFL!

seems logical. but if favre made himself available, we all know at least one of the thirty two teams would sign him, even if to only drive up ticket sales

I don't know, if you ask me, these are the teams that need a QB:

Miami

Buffalo (I don't think they need a QB because I think Fitzpatrick is solid, but many say they need one)

Washington

Minnesota

Arizona

Seattle

All other teams are either set at QB or have a young gun that will be their future. I don't think Miami will bother with Favre; Washington is just a mess and I don't know what is going on in Shanahan's head; I have a feeling McNabb will head to Minny; Kolb and Orton both seem like good fits in Arizona; Seattle seems like they want Hasslebeck back. I can't find a team that is needy or desparate enough to take Favre.

TBH, I think he still has a fair deal of value to a team with a younger QB who can use his presence above him, or he could even still be a great fit in Minnesota. First of all, Ponderer is in WAY over his head. Favre could help get him ready, and possibly even split time with him, and there really isn't anything they could do to further help Ponderer. If they would give the ball back to Peterson (Which, to me, the drafting of Ponderer is a sign that that is the plan under Fraizer) and run to set up a short pass, he could handle that. He can't be a game changer any longer. But if you don't think he could, or has any stock in being a game manager you're nuts.

Any team with a good RB who can make for a short passing situation, or a young QB who could learn from Favre could be interested if the price is right.

I see the point John, but Favre has never seemed to be interested in anything except the #1 spot. If he had Brunell's mentality and was willing and able to be a selfless teacher and mentor to a younger QB, I could see a lot more interest in him from teams. But, his past history indicates he's just not that kind of guy.

I see the point John, but Favre has never seemed to be interested in anything except the #1 spot. If he had Brunell's mentality and was willing and able to be a selfless teacher and mentor to a younger QB, I could see a lot more interest in him from teams. But, his past history indicates he's just not that kind of guy.

In the past, yes, and for all intents and purposes, rightfully so. He was still deserving of being a #1 up until last season. Even he can't deny that, at this point in his career, that's the only way a team is going to bring him in.

The guy just came off the worst year of his career, and he couldn't finish a week without getting injured... I think the guy realizes that he's done.

I just don't believe that. Yeah, he had some injury issues last season, but the guy can still be of use.

A perfect place form him to land would be Tennessee, or even back in Minnesota. Those teams have good run-blocking lines, and good running backs who can get the job done. If they can run the ball to set up some short, quick passes, he can handle that. And he can even mentor their younger QB's, which is the only way their going to bring him in, and now, unlike years back with Rogers, he'll be willing to do that. He wouldn't mentor Rogers out of job security issues. Obviously, he can't do that anymore, and to get what he wants he's going to have to give more than just his mere presence to get it.

I hope he doesn't come back...but just 2 years ago he had arguably the best season of his career. So if he is healthy, who knows what could happen.

If he does come back he's going to Tennessee. He'll start for a year and teach Jake Locker how to be a successful gunslinger in the NFL for a year and then restart the retirement process.

Would Fav-ruh even be willing to accept a "mentor" role? Isn't that way he left GB in the first place?

I'm sure he could put a few more million in the bank by signing a one-year deal, which is all well and good, but I just don't know if that man's ego can accept the idea of sitting on the bench.

Would Fav-ruh even be willing to accept a "mentor" role? Isn't that way he left GB in the first place?

I'm sure he could put a few more million in the bank by signing a one-year deal, which is all well and good, but I just don't know if that man's ego can accept the idea of sitting on the bench.

I just don't believe that. Yeah, he had some injury issues last season, but the guy can still be of use.

A perfect place form him to land would be Tennessee, or even back in Minnesota. Those teams have good run-blocking lines, and good running backs who can get the job done. If they can run the ball to set up some short, quick passes, he can handle that. And he can even mentor their younger QB's, which is the only way their going to bring him in, and now, unlike years back with Rogers, he'll be willing to do that. He wouldn't mentor Rogers out of job security issues. Obviously, he can't do that anymore, and to get what he wants he's going to have to give more than just his mere presence to get it.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go to the Titans, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them pursue him if he is indeed serious about a return.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go to the Titans, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them pursue him if he is indeed serious about a return.

He was pretty great in 2009... if he can play within the confines of a playbook and game-plan, I'm sure he'd still be better than half the QBs out there.

Tennessee makes sense. Young and unproven QBs, elite RB...

In the past, yes, and for all intents and purposes, rightfully so. He was still deserving of being a #1 up until last season. Even he can't deny that, at this point in his career, that's the only way a team is going to bring him in.

Indeed. I don't know if he was solid #1 all the way until last season, he had some patches where he was a tad bit ordinary, but the body of work made up for it. Still, I have been so turned off by his indecision and the silly scandal in Jets-country, that I just can't stand the man any longer. I do think that he has a huge knowledge about playing QB in the league and if that knowledge and experience could be harnessed properly in a mentoring role, he could be an asset to any team - in that backup QB/mentor role.

Were talking about the #1 gunslinger of all time. Let's show Favre some respect. He may of had some character issues in NY, but all that aside.. he's a good QB that has had a good run. It would be degrading to take a mentor qb job just for cash.

i don't think he's coming back. His body is wore out, especially his arm. Coaching seems much more logical.