Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Supplemental draft: Clemson LT Isaiah Battle

He's had some disciplinary issues, and while he says he's leaving due to family matters, there is a report that he was kicked off the team after being stopped for speeding and cited for marijuana possession. There was some buzz that he'd be a 1st or 2nd rounder in 2016, but no one knows where he'll be selected in the supplemental, even though he's likely to be taken at some point.

He looks pretty good, to me. Has some technical issues with balance and bend, and I wonder if maybe he has some undisclosed knee issues. But he has good hands, good feet, good upper body strength, he can move pretty well, and is aggressive in both run blocking and sealing the edge in pass protection. Maybe not a good enough kick to play left tackle yet, but his mirror is pretty good. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25224878/isaiah-battle-to-definitely-earn-interest-in-nfls-supplemental-draft

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/isaiah-battle-vs-georgia-2014/

http://theclemsoninsider.com/2015/06/25/battle-dismissal-a-painful-punch-to-clemsons-season/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498817/article/clemson-ol-isaiah-battle-entering-supplemental-draft

http://www.thephinsider.com/2015/6/26/8851873/clemson-tackle-isaiah-battle-nfl-supplemental-draft

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25224878/isaiah-battle-to-definitely-earn-interest-in-nfls-supplemental-draft

I doubt the Colts get involved. He doesn't seem like a reliable, dependable person. I don't know exactly what happened to put him in the supplemental draft, but I don't think you can just declare because you changed your mind. I believe there has to be a change in your status/eligibility, so the story about him being dismissed seems more probable than just 'I'm having a kid and need to take care of my family.' So if it's true that he was kicked off the team, his story about entering the supplemental draft would be lacking in honesty. 

However, if they check him out and get a good feeling about him, I could see using a 5th rounder on him, getting him in the building and letting him go to work. He could definitely be our RT of the future, with some coaching.

Yeah.

If we do take a flyer on this kid I think it will be pretty telling that Grigson is kicking himself for not taking a flyer on La'el Collins

Yeah. I don't get why we didn't go hard after Collins. With guys like that its basically no risk, monster reward. I wish we'd go after those guys more often. I never get why a team don't. I mean if they screw up you can cut them. If they don't you got a beast. I remember I wanted us to take Burfict bad after he went undrafted. Now look at him. To me, anytime there's a 1st round talent as an UDFA you should go after him with everything you got. Its like getting a 1st rounder for free lol.Why not?

Yeah.

Yeah. I don't get why we didn't go hard after Collins. With guys like that its basically no risk, monster reward. I wish we'd go after those guys more often. I never get why a team don't. I mean if they screw up you can cut them. If they don't you got a beast. I remember I wanted us to take Burfict bad after he went undrafted. Now look at him. To me, anytime there's a 1st round talent as an UDFA you should go after him with everything you got. Its like getting a 1st rounder for free lol.Why not?

agree 100%

Yeah.

Yeah. I don't get why we didn't go hard after Collins. With guys like that its basically no risk, monster reward. I wish we'd go after those guys more often. I never get why a team don't. I mean if they screw up you can cut them. If they don't you got a beast. I remember I wanted us to take Burfict bad after he went undrafted. Now look at him. To me, anytime there's a 1st round talent as an UDFA you should go after him with everything you got. Its like getting a 1st rounder for free lol.Why not?

So you are assuming we didn't make an attempt at Collins despite reports from multiple sources stating he had a visit scheduled with us? He signed with the Cowboys because he went there first ans liked it. Just because the Colts are awesome doesn't mean we can sign whoever we want.

Yeah.

Grigson has made it clear he's shying away from character issue players moving forward. At least he said he won't be spending high draft picks on them. What that means far as UDFA or others I don't know. But I think Brazill, Boyett, Purifoy, Rodgers, etc etc have ruined everyone else's chances who's out there looking for the Colts to give them a second chance

Yeah.

Yeah. I don't get why we didn't go hard after Collins. With guys like that its basically no risk, monster reward. I wish we'd go after those guys more often. I never get why a team don't. I mean if they screw up you can cut them. If they don't you got a beast. I remember I wanted us to take Burfict bad after he went undrafted. Now look at him. To me, anytime there's a 1st round talent as an UDFA you should go after him with everything you got. Its like getting a 1st rounder for free lol.Why not?

Why not?      Two months and you and others here have completely forgotten.....

Collins was a suspect in a double-murder, and he looked like a pretty solid suspect.    His pregnant ex-girlfriend.     Did the fact that she was pregnant give him motive to kill her?     Maybe.    But no NFL would know until right AFTER THE DRAFT.     That's just an unfortunate bit of bad timing for Collins.

No team was going to touch him.     I don't know why posters here are wondering why Grigson didn't make a move?    No GM made a move!      All 32 GM's passed on Collins.     He was radio-active until he was cleared.     He was nuclear-waste!      No team was going to touch him.

What if Grigson had taken Collins in the 7th round and then Collins was arrested for a double-murder.    The Colts would've looked beyond terrible for doing that.     And so would any of the other 31 teams.     That's why they all passed on Collins.

Word was we DID go after Collins -- hard.    We were on his short list for an interview.    Dallas just made a more compelling offer....   to be a part of what already was a great OL -- now with Collins -- it could be the best OL in football.

This was NOT a Grigson thing.    Everyone did the same thing -- they avoided Collins until he was cleared.

Sorry,  but there was no other choice.

Why not? Two months and you and others here have completely forgotten.....

Collins was a suspect in a double-murder, and he looked like a pretty solid suspect. His pregnant ex-girlfriend. Did the fact that she was pregnant give him motive to kill her? Maybe. But no NFL would know until right AFTER THE DRAFT. That's just an unfortunate bit of bad timing for Collins.

No team was going to touch him. I don't know why posters here are wondering why Grigson didn't make a move? No GM made a move! All 32 GM's passed on Collins. He was radio-active until he was cleared. He was nuclear-waste! No team was going to touch him.

What if Grigson had taken Collins in the 7th round and then Collins was arrested for a double-murder. The Colts would've looked beyond terrible for doing that. And so would any of the other 31 teams. That's why they all passed on Collins.

Word was we DID go after Collins -- hard. We were on his short list for an interview. Dallas just made a more compelling offer.... to be a part of what already was a great OL -- now with Collins -- it could be the best OL in football.

This was NOT a Grigson thing. Everyone did the same thing -- they avoided Collins until he was cleared.

Sorry, but there was no other choice.

Collins was never a suspect let alone a "solid" one.

Why not? Two months and you and others here have completely forgotten.....

Collins was a suspect in a double-murder, and he looked like a pretty solid suspect. His pregnant ex-girlfriend. Did the fact that she was pregnant give him motive to kill her? Maybe. But no NFL would know until right AFTER THE DRAFT. That's just an unfortunate bit of bad timing for Collins.

No team was going to touch him. I don't know why posters here are wondering why Grigson didn't make a move? No GM made a move! All 32 GM's passed on Collins. He was radio-active until he was cleared. He was nuclear-waste! No team was going to touch him.

What if Grigson had taken Collins in the 7th round and then Collins was arrested for a double-murder. The Colts would've looked beyond terrible for doing that. And so would any of the other 31 teams. That's why they all passed on Collins.

Word was we DID go after Collins -- hard. We were on his short list for an interview. Dallas just made a more compelling offer.... to be a part of what already was a great OL -- now with Collins -- it could be the best OL in football.

This was NOT a Grigson thing. Everyone did the same thing -- they avoided Collins until he was cleared.

Sorry, but there was no other choice.

"Looking terrible" is pretty minor. Taking a first round caliber talent in the seventh round is a low risk, high reward move. If he was charged with murder, the team would cut him.

I think many teams did not want to waste a draft pick, as Collins (or his agent) reportedly threatened not to sign with any team that drafted him. Since then, his representatives have said he would have signed if he was drafted.

Why not?      Two months and you and others here have completely forgotten.....

Collins was a suspect in a double-murder, and he looked like a pretty solid suspect.    His pregnant ex-girlfriend.     Did the fact that she was pregnant give him motive to kill her?     Maybe.    But no NFL would know until right AFTER THE DRAFT.     That's just an unfortunate bit of bad timing for Collins.

No team was going to touch him.     I don't know why posters here are wondering why Grigson didn't make a move?    No GM made a move!      All 32 GM's passed on Collins.     He was radio-active until he was cleared.     He was nuclear-waste!      No team was going to touch him.

What if Grigson had taken Collins in the 7th round and then Collins was arrested for a double-murder.    The Colts would've looked beyond terrible for doing that.     And so would any of the other 31 teams.     That's why they all passed on Collins.

Word was we DID go after Collins -- hard.    We were on his short list for an interview.    Dallas just made a more compelling offer....   to be a part of what already was a great OL -- now with Collins -- it could be the best OL in football.

This was NOT a Grigson thing.    Everyone did the same thing -- they avoided Collins until he was cleared.

Sorry,  but there was no other choice.

From the way I took it he wasn't a suspect at all. Like I don't remember anyone actually thinking that. And I wasn't talking about drafting him. I was talking about signing him after he went undrafted.

"Looking terrible" is pretty minor. Taking a first round caliber talent in the seventh round is a low risk, high reward move. If he was charged with murder, the team would cut him.

I think many teams did not want to waste a draft pick, as Collins (or his agent) reportedly threatened not to sign with any team that drafted him. Since then, his representatives have said he would have signed if he was drafted.

I think "looking terrible" is much worse than you think. 

That's why there were 256 opportunities to draft Collins and NO ONE did that.

When it comes to the 6th or 7th round,  every team would've been willing to spend a late pick on him but no one did.  

Surely we all agree that Collins was worth a late pick.     That no team did should tell you how toxic he was until he was cleared.

From the way I took it he wasn't a suspect at all. Like I don't remember anyone actually thinking that. And I wasn't talking about drafting him. I was talking about signing him after he went undrafted.

Well....     no team went after Collins until he was cleared by the police.     He did at least one interview,  if not two, and he gave up blood and did a polygraph test to clear himself.

I'm baffled that you could look at him and not think he was at least a suspect.    The entire NFL sure did.

Collins was never a suspect let alone a "solid" one.

Seriously?

Then why did he interview with police,  give up his blood and take a poly-graph test?

You don't do that unless you're a suspect.

Why didn't a single team draft him? 

You don't pass on the guy unless he was a suspect.

As for "solid"....  he's the former boyfriend and she's pregnant -- perhaps with Collins' baby -- and then she's dead.      That makes him a suspect.

What makes you think he wasn't a suspect?

EDIT NOTE:     I've gone back and read stories.    Publicly, local police said Collins was not a suspect.

But that doesn't matter.    Police are legally allowed to lie and say anything in order to further a case.

They also knew he might be innocent, and due to the unfortunate timing,  this was costing Collins millions, so they gave him as much political cover as possible.      But that doesn't clear him.   

Doing an interview, giving blood, and passing a polygraph cleared him.    And those things made him a suspect.     At the time,  he was likely even the prime suspect,  until he was cleared.

Yeah.

I thought the Colts were talking to him as well as several other teams. He wanted to go to Dallas. That's the impression i had anyway

Seriously?

Then why did he interview with police,  give up his blood and take a poly-graph test?

You don't do that unless you're a suspect.

Why didn't a single team draft him? 

You don't pass on the guy unless he was a suspect.

As for "solid"....  he's the former boyfriend and she's pregnant -- perhaps with Collins' baby -- and then she's dead.      That makes him a suspect.

What makes you think he wasn't a suspect?

EDIT NOTE:     I've gone back and read stories.    Publicly, local police said Collins was not a suspect.

But that doesn't matter.    Police are legally allowed to lie and say anything in order to further a case.

They also knew he might be innocent, and due to the unfortunate timing,  this was costing Collins millions, so they gave him as much political cover as possible.      But that doesn't clear him.   

Doing an interview, giving blood, and passing a polygraph cleared him.    And those things made him a suspect.     At the time,  he was likely even the prime suspect,  until he was cleared.

I'm not arguing or anything. But your point is basically like saying that if someone you know were to be murdered that your automatically a prime suspect simply for knowing them. The investigators were just doing their job and talking to everyone. I thought it was made pretty clear that he was never suspected, and that they only wanted to talk to him.

I'm not arguing or anything. But your point is basically like saying that if someone you know were to be murdered that your automatically a prime suspect simply for knowing them. The investigators were just doing their job and talking to everyone. I thought it was made pretty clear that he was never suspected, and that they only wanted to talk to him.

Collins was not someone who the victim just knew, so I don't think the analogy holds up.

She was his former girlfriend and she had become pregnant in a timeline where it's possible La'el was the father and now she's turned up dead (the baby died a short time later)

That's all that was needed to be a suspect.       If you'd like to think of him as a "person of interest"  that's fine,  but if you look that up on line it pretty much has no definition and says a person of interest is basically a suspect.

I thought the police handled this about as well as they could.    I have no complaints with what or how they did their business.

But just because they publicly say someone is not a suspect,  doesn't mean their not.    Police are legally allowed to do that.  (There was a Supreme Court ruling upholding that).

That's why Collins had to go clear himself.

And, thanks,  I appreciate the good way you handled your post.     :thmup:

He's had some disciplinary issues, and while he says he's leaving due to family matters, there is a report that he was kicked off the team after being stopped for speeding and cited for marijuana possession. There was some buzz that he'd be a 1st or 2nd rounder in 2016, but no one knows where he'll be selected in the supplemental, even though he's likely to be taken at some point.

He looks pretty good, to me. Has some technical issues with balance and bend, and I wonder if maybe he has some undisclosed knee issues. But he has good hands, good feet, good upper body strength, he can move pretty well, and is aggressive in both run blocking and sealing the edge in pass protection. Maybe not a good enough kick to play left tackle yet, but his mirror is pretty good. 

http://theclemsoninsider.com/2015/06/25/battle-dismissal-a-painful-punch-to-clemsons-season/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498817/article/clemson-ol-isaiah-battle-entering-supplemental-draft

http://www.thephinsider.com/2015/6/26/8851873/clemson-tackle-isaiah-battle-nfl-supplemental-draft

I doubt the Colts get involved. He doesn't seem like a reliable, dependable person. I don't know exactly what happened to put him in the supplemental draft, but I don't think you can just declare because you changed your mind. I believe there has to be a change in your status/eligibility, so the story about him being dismissed seems more probable than just 'I'm having a kid and need to take care of my family.' So if it's true that he was kicked off the team, his story about entering the supplemental draft would be lacking in honesty. 

However, if they check him out and get a good feeling about him, I could see using a 5th rounder on him, getting him in the building and letting him go to work. He could definitely be our RT of the future, with some coaching.

Just out of curiosity, can i ask what your football credentials are? You obviously have a lot more knowledge than the casual fan.

Just out of curiosity, can i ask what your football credentials are? You obviously have a lot more knowledge than the casual fan.

I know how to Google, and I try to learn from smart people. That's about it. Zero actual qualifications, just an eager fan. Thanks for the compliment, though.

Battle for a 5th is a good move, IMO...

With Collins, I don't think it was the murder thing, really. I think it was more of the way he and his agent tried to manipulate the process.

The issue wasn't as much about wasting a late pick or whether or not he'd sign, I don't think.

Dallas was the perfect place for him. What happens when a team that needs O-Line help, like the Colts, pick him up and he pans out just enough to be a locker room prima donna and contract headache for the next few years...

We probably shouldn't be signing guys that give ultimatums and threaten to walk before they have ever even taken a snap in the league...

Yeah I remember the news bar saying that Collins said if he wasn't drafted on Day 2 that he just wouldn't sign and would try to get drafted in the 2016 draft.  

I'm not sure how he could do that honestly.  If you are drafted and you refuse to sign you can go through and do the draft again?  I don't think that's right personally. 

With this guy, I'd throw a late rounder his way.  But if he has off the field issues I wouldn't throw a high pick his way.  Because there is a good chance he gets himself suspended by the league for something.  

Yeah I remember the news bar saying that Collins said if he wasn't drafted on Day 2 that he just wouldn't sign and would try to get drafted in the 2016 draft.  

I'm not sure how he could do that honestly.  If you are drafted and you refuse to sign you can go through and do the draft again?  I don't think that's right personally. 

With this guy, I'd throw a late rounder his way.  But if he has off the field issues I wouldn't throw a high pick his way.  Because there is a good chance he gets himself suspended by the league for something.  

You can hold out and re-enter the draft the following year, but only if you're drafted. That's what Bo Jackson did in 1986, first overall pick to Tampa Bay. He felt manipulated and undermined by the Bucs in connection with a pre-draft visit, and told them that he wouldn't sign with them if they drafted him. They drafted him anyways, he held out, and was drafted by the Raiders in the 7th round in 1987. Al Davis won him over, and he signed with them.

I don't know who else has done that.

With this guy, I'd throw a late rounder his way. But if he has off the field issues I wouldn't throw a high pick his way. Because there is a good chance he gets himself suspended by the league for something.

Yeah, I agree completely. I thought a team should have risked a 7th round pick on him. My team had two 7th round picks (10 total picks) and used one on an offensive lineman who most likely will not make the team. I thought they should have taken Collins. But perhaps with the whole AP saga, they wanted to stay away from another player who may have questionable character. Still it was worth the risk, IMO.

You can hold out and re-enter the draft the following year, but only if you're drafted. That's what Bo Jackson did in 1986, first overall pick to Tampa Bay. He felt manipulated and undermined by the Bucs in connection with a pre-draft visit, and told them that he wouldn't sign with them if they drafted him. They drafted him anyways, he held out, and was drafted by the Raiders in the 7th round in 1987. Al Davis won him over, and he signed with them.

I don't know who else has done that.

It's somewhat surprising we don't see that more often honestly. 

Still don't like it though. . . basically allows you to go have a re-do if you get drafted by a team you don't like.  And the team that drafted you gets zero compensation for it.  

It's somewhat surprising we don't see that more often honestly. 

Still don't like it though. . . basically allows you to go have a re-do if you get drafted by a team you don't like.  And the team that drafted you gets zero compensation for it.  

We don't see it more often because the player has to sit out a year. The CFL won't sign him if his rights are owned by an NFL team. He can't go back to college. It's a bad gamble all the way around. In Bo Jackson's case, he went from the first overall pick to a 7th rounder. Under the terms of the new CBA, that's a $22m loss. 

I think it's set that way so the team doesn't have all the leverage. They have something to lose, also. But it's probably a non factor with the new CBA, where contracts are mostly predetermined. 

I think very possible the Colts use a 3rd on him. We have  that possible void at RT and IMO a 3rd would be a decent risk reward proposition for the Colts.

I think very possible the Colts use a 3rd on him. We have  that possible void at RT and IMO a 3rd would be a decent risk reward proposition for the Colts.

That would be about scouting, more than anything else. I've seen one cut-up of the guy, so I don't know how to rank/grade him. 

But I think it's more likely that the Colts would pass, given his off the field stuff. 

That would be about scouting, more than anything else. I've seen one cut-up of the guy, so I don't know how to rank/grade him. 

But I think it's more likely that the Colts would pass, given his off the field stuff. 

For sure more likely they pass. I was just pointing out if they liked him , it would make sense given where we would draft in the 3rd and the need for a young RT. Odds are probably 20-1 in favor of the Colts passing or offering something low like a 5th or 6th.

For sure more likely they pass. I was just pointing out if they liked him , it would make sense given where we would draft in the 3rd and the need for a young RT. Odds are probably 20-1 in favor of the Colts passing or offering something low like a 5th or 6th.

I agree at 20:1. What I mean about scouting is that if his film sucks, he's not worth a 3rd regardless. But the film I saw looks average+.

I agree at 20:1. What I mean about scouting is that if his film sucks, he's not worth a 3rd regardless. But the film I saw looks average+.

Yes ...I knew what you meant and you are correct. I was just going under the assumption that the guy is good.... which is obviously a very big "if." 

Jason Cole has a headline that says GMs don't like Battle's weed issues (no duh). I'm assuming he'd automatically be in the substance abuse program, subject to a suspension with his first failed drug test. 

He'll have a pro day tomorrow.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2515763-insider-buzz-marijuana-issue-could-cause-battle-to-fall-in-supplemental-draft

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Isaiah-Battle-prepares-NFL-pro-day-19703

If I were someone like the Panthers or Broncos who have a mess at their LT situation, I think I'd be motivated to throw at least a 5th rounder at him, if not a 4th. But for the Colts, I don't think he's worth any more than a 6th or 7th, especially given his disciplinary issues. It's not like the guy is going to step in and be a pro bowler. 

If I were someone like the Panthers or Broncos who have a mess at their LT situation, I think I'd be motivated to throw at least a 5th rounder at him, if not a 4th. But for the Colts, I don't think he's worth any more than a 6th or 7th, especially given his disciplinary issues. It's not like the guy is going to step in and be a pro bowler

That's not really the criteria for judging whether to use a mid round pick on a guy. If they think he's going to be good, then they should invest in him. The real issue is whether they think he can stay out of trouble, and from a distance, I have no confidence in that. 

That's not really the criteria for judging whether to use a mid round pick on a guy. If they think he's going to be good, then they should invest in him. The real issue is whether they think he can stay out of trouble, and from a distance, I have no confidence in that. 

Well yeah, the prow bowler comment was facetious. If he did have tons of immediate value that would be great, but when I look at his tape I think he's more of a depth guy at this stage in his development. When I watch him at Clemson, I see a guy who makes too many mental errors, even if he does have some of the traits you look for in an NFL LT. And his long term value definitely is dampened by that off the field stuff, as you've said.

Well yeah, the prow bowler comment was facetious. If he did have tons of immediate value that would be great, but when I look at his tape I think he's more of a depth guy at this stage in his development. When I watch him at Clemson, I see a guy who makes too many mental errors, even if he does have some of the traits you look for in an NFL LT. And his long term value definitely is dampened by that off the field stuff, as you've said.

Ah.

I only watched the one tape. I should go back and watch some of his opponents. I know Jordan Phillips DESTROYED Clemson, but that was mostly against interior linemen. He definitely makes some mistakes and has some technique issues, but as Gavin said, he's only started 16 games. I think that's about coaching and experience, not ability. Physically, I think he's a a blue chipper. He's also a knucklehead, so...

No matter where he goes, he's a developmental guy who will be nailed to the bench. But he's also a physically talented LT prospect, so there's no harm in using a roster spot on him for a year while you work with him.

http://draftbreakdown.com/2015-nfl-supplemental-draft-an-overview-of-clemsons-isaiah-battle/

Ah.

I only watched the one tape. I should go back and watch some of his opponents. I know Jordan Phillips DESTROYED Clemson, but that was mostly against interior linemen. He definitely makes some mistakes and has some technique issues, but as Gavin said, he's only started 16 games. I think that's about coaching and experience, not ability. Physically, I think he's a a blue chipper. He's also a knucklehead, so...

No matter where he goes, he's a developmental guy who will be nailed to the bench. But he's also a physically talented LT prospect, so there's no harm in using a roster spot on him for a year while you work with him.

http://draftbreakdown.com/2015-nfl-supplemental-draft-an-overview-of-clemsons-isaiah-battle/

For me,  the issues with Battle are many....

If we draft him,  I don't think we can put him on the PS,  he's too talented, and so at some point in the year,   a lesser team, out of the playoff run, will grab him and we're out the pick.

So, he's got to be on the 53 man roster.   And frankly,  I think that likely means,  he's not going to make the game-day 46,  so he's going to be on the sidelines all year long, week in and week out.    In other words,  our roster will be a man down all season.   He'll never be more than a guy on the field goal/extra point teams.

Are the Colts good enough to carry someone like that all year?    In a year where we're targeting the Super Bowl?

And we haven't even started with all the off-the-field baggage he brings.

To me,  battle doesn't feel like the right fit for the Colts.     I don't see us offering a pick on him,  unless he somehow manages to fall to,  say the 6th round.     And I don't see that happening.

Just my two cents......