Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Is The Colts Single-Season Record For Tackles?

oldunclemark

Tackle stats are infamously inaccurate. Coaches just throw them around. I wouldn't look too much into it. If you replayed this season with everything going the exact same, but with 5 different coaches counting the stats, Angerer would have 5 different tackle totals

I've heard this several times.

Tackle stats are infamously inaccurate. Coaches just throw them around. I wouldn't look too much into it. If you replayed this season with everything going the exact same, but with 5 different coaches counting the stats, Angerer would have 5 different tackle totals

The media guide doesn't have a listing for tackles. Some differences would be a solo tackle, primary hit, assisted hit/tackle, etc. Like others have said it is too arbitrary to count accurately. Sorta like how 10 people might say a pass was dropped, 10 might say it wasn't catchable.

so true!!!

that is the stat that everyone here that love him are using to back up their praise.

so true!!!

that is the stat that everyone here that love him are using to back up their praise.

Well, just because the stat is not accurate, that doesn't mean he isn't playing well. Even if you ignore the tackle statistic and watch the games, Angerer has constantly been around the ball and has had a strong season

Well, just because the stat is not accurate, that doesn't mean he isn't playing well. Even if you ignore the tackle statistic and watch the games, Angerer has constantly been around the ball and has had a strong season

my problem is his tackles are 5-10 yards down field. i want my mlb making plays around the line of scrimmage. the tackle stats are the only argument people are using to say how great he is. he has been adequate and nothing more. safetys making plays down field are ok, but not a top mlb.

my problem is his tackles are 5-10 yards down field. i want my mlb making plays around the line of scrimmage. the tackle stats are the only argument people are using to say how great he is. he has been adequate and nothing more. safetys making plays down field are ok, but not a top mlb.

The problem with that has been playcalling. If the defensive coordinator calls a play that asks him to drop 10 yards each time, how can he not? If he doesn't do it, he gets benched. That's no knock on him, that's due to poor playcalling

"Stat" wise, Jeff Herrod in 1991 had 160 tackles. Bickett had a couple of 150 years. No distinction between tackles/assists in these years.

Angerer has 72 tackles, but 65 assists. 137.

Although when comparing Pat to other MLB/ILB his #'s, which everyone is impressed with, me included, really dont look very good at all.

The problem with that has been playcalling. If the defensive coordinator calls a play that asks him to drop 10 yards each time, how can he not? If he doesn't do it, he gets benched. That's no knock on him, that's due to poor playcalling

i agree on passing plays. what i am talking about are running plays. would top dt's make a difference, yes. but people saying he is one of the best shouldn't mean he needs top dt's in front of him. watching a game, he just doesn't stand out. that's what top players do.

Angerer has 72 tackles, but 65 assists. 137.

Although when comparing Pat to other MLB/ILB his #'s, which everyone is impressed with, me included, really dont look very good at all.

in comparison, brackett's career solo tackles to assist is 3-1 in the same system.

i agree on passing plays. what i am talking about are running plays. would top dt's make a difference, yes. but people saying he is one of the best shouldn't mean he needs top dt's in front of him. watching a game, he just doesn't stand out. that's what top players do.

Actually, usually, LBs need some solid DTs in front of them. Ray Lewis was at his best when he had Goose in front of him. And look at him now, with Ngata in front of him. Ray is still one of the best, but he still has top DTs in front of him.

in comparison, brackett's career solo tackles to assist is 3-1 in the same system.

Outside of coverage I think Pat has shown to be a better MLB than Brackett. In only his 2nd year I'm sure his coverage skills will improve putting him much higher than Brackett IMO.

With all that said comparing Pats #s, while good, still don't impress compared to other MLB/ILB.

Not for nothing, Angerer is tied for 6th with a bunch of other players with 8 tackles for a loss (stuffs). Interesting enough, Kavell Conner leads the league. Here's the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Defense&conference=NFL&year=season_2011&sort=101&timeframe=ToDate. Overall, the Colts have received solid LB play this year, and Angerer, while he still needs to improve his game, has had a solid year and had plenty of upside. Better DT play will lead to less tackles 10+ down the field.

Actually, usually, LBs need some solid DTs in front of them. Ray Lewis was at his best when he had Goose in front of him. And look at him now, with Ngata in front of him. Ray is still one of the best, but he still has top DTs in front of him.

you are absolutely right. i still remember the monday night game against the chiefs when he was complaining about getting double teamed. that is why he isn't a truly great player in my opinion. great players still make plays when they are double and triple teamed. i saw lawrence taylors whole career, and double teams rarely slowed him down. great players make plays no matter what the conditions. look at manning against sd with a half hearted wayne and nobody else.

Not for nothing, Angerer is tied for 6th with a bunch of other players with 8 tackles for a loss (stuffs). Interesting enough, Kavell Conner leads the league. Here's the link: http://sports.yahoo....imeframe=ToDate. Overall, the Colts have received solid LB play this year, and Angerer, while he still needs to improve his game, has had a solid year and had plenty of upside. Better DT play will lead to less tackles 10+ down the field.

i never said he was bad. he's just not the great lb that many colt fan are saying. i don't think you can judge lb play with stats. does one great play make up for 10 bad ones? say a de gets 16 sacks for the year, but in his haste to get the sacks he gives up ten 5-20 yard runs to his side every game. he isn't helping the team very much because teams know they can run past him for consistent big plays..

you are absolutely right. i still remember the monday night game against the chiefs when he was complaining about getting double teamed. that is why he isn't a truly great player in my opinion. great players still make plays when they are double and triple teamed. i saw lawrence taylors whole career, and double teams rarely slowed him down. great players make plays no matter what the conditions. look at manning against sd with a half hearted wayne and nobody else.

True, but you can't expect a team full of Lawrence Taylors or Peyton Mannings. These are once in a lifetime players. I don't think it's fair to have Ray Lewis or LT standards for Pat Angerer. The dude has done a very good job this year, in my opinion.

True, but you can't expect a team full of Lawrence Taylors or Peyton Mannings. These are once in a lifetime players. I don't think it's fair to have Ray Lewis or LT standards for Pat Angerer. The dude has done a very good job this year, in my opinion.

i will say it again. i never said he hasn't done a good job. he just isn't a great or even a top lb like many have said.

i never said he was bad. he's just not the great lb that many colt fan are saying. i don't think you can judge lb play with stats. does one great play make up for 10 bad ones? say a de gets 16 sacks for the year, but in his haste to get the sacks he gives up ten 5-20 yard runs to his side every game. he isn't helping the team very much because teams know they can run past him for consistent big plays..

Fair enough, and we agree that at this point he is not great. I think it is to early to say he is a great LB or a good LB...the one thing he isn't is bad. If he continues to progress, he could be great...in other words, he has that potential. I think his future success also rides on how effective the DTs are going forward. Even Ray Lewis struggled for a few seasons before Ngata came, and Willis receives excellent DT play. Using them as examples, not saying Angerer will ever be in their tier.

How can you judge the linebacker because his coaches ask him to drop into coverage every down? We don't play a scheme that puts the middle linebacker near the line of scrimmage. I think the way to judge him is by how well he makes plays when he has the chance to make them.

He's not the next Brian Urlacher or Zach Thomas. He's not a great tackler, he still drags down more than he knocks down. Still suspect in coverage. But he's a pretty good linebacker, especially for being in his second year.

Fair enough, and we agree that at this point he is not great. I think it is to early to say he is a great LB or a good LB...the one thing he isn't is bad. If he continues to progress, he could be great...in other words, he has that potential. I think his future success also rides on how effective the DTs are going forward. Even Ray Lewis struggled for a few seasons before Ngata came, and Willis receives excellent DT play. Using them as examples, not saying Angerer will ever be in their tier.

we agree, except i don't think he will ever be great. he could be very good though. my standard for great is MUCH higher than most people's.

Numbers are very suspect, you can get an assist for being stood near and watching a tackle these days. Agree with what 21isSuperman has been saying though. Just because the numbers flatter him doesn't mean he hasn't been very good. Shame our coordinators have been very suspect (our normal OC in Peyton is out), and since Murphy took over Angerer has been looking even better.