Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Priorities for Colts next offseason

This list does not include the obvious which is eventually extending Andrew Luck...

1. Extend Anthony Castonzo's contract (He just keeps getting better)

2. Extend TY Hilton's contract (Pairing him with Dorsett and Moncrief for the future is key unless he gets too greedy in negotiations.)

3. Sign at least one of the TE's long term. Allen is my preference if he stays healthy. (I don't think either will command big deals since they don't have near the numbers of the elite TEs.)

4. If any money is left over in free agency, try and sign FS Eric Weddle. (In my opinion he is the 2nd best FS in the league, only to Earl Thomas. He will be 31 in January so he won't command a huge deal and will want to play for a contender. Mike Adams is getting ancient and doesnt have the range of Weddle.)

2016 Draft

In the early rounds address RT, OLB, DL

In the later rounds get depth at RB, DB, and ILB

This list does not include the obvious which is eventually extending Andrew Luck...

1. Extend Anthony Castonzo's contract (He just keeps getting better)

2. Extend TY Hilton's contract (Pairing him with Dorsett and Moncrief for the future is key unless he gets too greedy in negotiations.)

3. Sign at least one of the TE's long term. Allen is my preference if he stays healthy. (I don't think either will command big deals since they don't have near the numbers of the elite TEs.)

4. If any money is left over in free agency, try and sign FS Eric Weddle. (In my opinion he is the 2nd best FS in the league, only to Earl Thomas. He will be 31 in January so he won't command a huge deal and will want to play for a contender. Mike Adams is getting ancient and doesnt have the range of Weddle.)

2016 Draft

In the early rounds address RT, OLB, DL

In the later rounds get depth at RB, DB, and ILB

I agree with this for the most part, going to address something I think about the 3rd point. With the Sifrin release and the McGrath signing, one of two things are going to happen with our TE situation IMO. Either A.) We are going to re-sign both Fleener and Allen next year, or B.) Swoope has been doing even better than we thought and we will let go either Fleener or Allen. I think our TE priority should be keeping Fleener and Allen for now, and having Swoope as the no3 with potential. Develop him as much as you can this year, and make a decision if he can replace Fleener or Allen by the beginning of next year. I think he should at least be on the 53 by 2016.

Contracts and free agents will take care of themselves. Those are simple, IMO. That includes Pagano's contract.

The big thing is to draft well, first and foremost. Really well. Get the best players we can, players with lots of upside and good character, and coach them up.

As for free agency needs and filling holes and such, it's impossible to really project those right now. The biggest projected hole on the team right now is probably RT, but Reitz, Herremans or Mewhort might solve that in the coming months. Everything else is going to be based on how the season goes.

Biggest wild card I think is if we need new coordinators. If the defense isn't what it needs to be, I think Manusky will be on the chopping block. And assuming the offense performs like we think, Pep probably gets a job offer from someone. I think there's a good chance we need at least one new coordinator next season.

I think it is difficult to predict what we need next year until we see who steps up this year.

We have a lot of young guys on the back end, a lot of youth on the D Line and some possibilities on O Line including Mewhort at RT. It is possible we have it covered on the roster right now and the youngsters will start showing this year and be ready to start taking over next year.

I agree at some point I would like a franchise RB maybe we found one in the 6th round. Ideally I would prefer someone with some breakaway ability maybe a thunder and lightning situation.

I think the season will gives us a better idea where the holes really are.

Fleener > Allen by far.

lol, no.

They bring different things to the table.  Fleener is taller and (I believe) faster, and (arguably most importantly) he's been able to stay healthy his entire career thus far.  Allen is far more versatile, but he hasn't been able to stay fully healthy

They bring different things to the table.  Fleener is taller and (I believe) faster, and (arguably most importantly) he's been able to stay healthy his entire career thus far.  Allen is far more versatile, but he hasn't been able to stay fully healthy

Health aside, Allen is the superior player.  Light years ahead of Fleener as a blocker and is a pretty damn good receiver himself.  No he won't give a ton of big plays down the field but he is still a significantly greater impact player.

Bpa no mater what! This includes the possibility of drafting a wr, te , or qb in the first round. Because if you don't agree that bpa no matter what is the way to go, you don't understand football and the concept of "building the monster" and not just putting up Star Wars #s (sarcasm)

I think the Colts need to have a 2016 draft that looks a lot like their 2015 draft.    Meaning,  defensive heavy.   Our '15 draft, we spent our 2, 3, 4, 5 and 1st #6 all on defense.     We need something like that again in '16.

Our defense should be improved,  but it's not all the way there yet....

Health aside, Allen is the superior player. 

its not that cut and dry.  allen is a better blocker and redzone reciever, fleener is valuable becasue he is a big play tight end, which is somewhat rare.   i think it will be hard to resign both

its not that cut and dry.  allen is a better blocker and redzone reciever, fleener is valuable becasue he is a big play tight end, which is somewhat rare.   i think it will be hard to resign both

Honestly,  I don't think we'll have any problem signing both.

We've got the money to do so.

It's possible that one of them will decide that they can get more money by going to another team and being their undisputed #1 tight end rather than stay with the Colts and make a little less and share the load.

That's possible.

But I think both can fit into our salary structure without too much problem.   We've been planning for this since we drafted them.

RT needs to be addressed the most.

Safety will need to be addressed sooner than later.

If Robinson isn't the future, RB will need to be addressed in the draft. I think you can depend on Gore for one more year but that's about it. Need to get someone in the could split carries effectively in 16 and then take over.

As far as our guys, Castanzo is number 1. I think they'll sign pretty much the entire 12 draft and rely on the upcoming draft. I don't see much in FA aside from guys on the team.

Maybe all of these injuries to Allen have been a blessing in disguise? Unless he has a career year this season (Which is unlikely, due to the fact of all the receivers we have, and of course Fleener and Gore) but because of his health history, he shouldn't command a huge contract.

Who knows, maybe we will dump Jackson, Thomas and Cherilus and hopefully we can keep all of these guys.

Isn't Luck signed through 2016 now? So we can focus on re-signing all of these guys and work on solely Andrew during or right after the 2016-2017 season.

Honestly,  I don't think we'll have any problem signing both.

We've got the money to do so.

It's possible that one of them will decide that they can get more money by going to another team and being their undisputed #1 tight end rather than stay with the Colts and make a little less and share the load.

That's possible.

But I think both can fit into our salary structure without too much problem.   We've been planning for this since we drafted them.

Yeah, I agree. I really see us re-signing Fleener over Allen. I think Coby's connection and relationship with Luck is going to be very difficult to break.

It will be more difficult to replace such a complete TE in Allen. Those players are hard to come by. Pure receiving TEs on the other hand..[/qu

I think NCF has it we resign both if we want to. Grigs has been planning for this. We haven't went nuts in FA.

I think the group we are weakest at is LB. Irving hopefully gets back all the way Newsone looks promising,

I think Werner might put it together. He looked close early last year. He won't ever be Mathiis or live up to expectations on the board but he can be solid.

Coaches seem to like Cam. We need Herrera or one of the UDFA to be a find.

I like what we have going on the back end. I am excited to see the young guys play.

We need to grab our future back unless Robinson turns out to be a steal. It'd be nice to get a homerun threat to pair with him regardless.

I for one am hoping Mewhort can kick out to RT and lock that spot down.

Sure, Allen is the more complete TE right now, but if he can't stay healthy, why keep him over Fleener who ha shown us that he can stay healthy, as well as signs of improvements each year he is in the league. I'd keep Fleener over Allen personally.. but I would LOVE to keep both.

Sure, Allen is the more complete TE right now, but if he can't stay healthy, why keep him over Fleener who ha shown us that he can stay healthy, as well as signs of improvements each year he is in the league. I'd keep Fleener over Allen personally.. but I would LOVE to keep both.

I agree.  I've been figuring that Fleener gets signed long-term, and Allen walks next year due to his injury history.  Doyle may stick around a few years, and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Swoope makes the team this year and become a good receiver...

I agree.  I've been figuring that Fleener gets signed long-term, and Allen walks next year due to his injury history.  Doyle may stick around a few years, and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Swoope makes the team this year and become a good receiver...

Swoope is the real X-factor here. I mean, even if the Colts are planning ahead without Allen, we still have plenty of time to find his replacement if Swoope isn't ready.

Comparing Fleener and Allen is just stupid to me. They're on the same team and bring two totally different elements to the game. I'm just happy we have them both.

The comparison is necessary if a decision must be made.  I agree that we could/should keep both, but there's a decent chance that that won't be the case.

My stance (if we had to choose one or the other) is that if Allen stays healthy this season, go with him.  If he misses significant time again, go with Fleener.  

The comparison is necessary if a decision must be made.  I agree that we could/should keep both, but there's a decent chance that that won't be the case.

My stance (if we had to choose one or the other) is that if Allen stays healthy this season, go with him.  If he misses significant time again, go with Fleener.  

Keep a guy because he was able to have one healthy season? Fleener has been relatively healthy his whole career with the Colts, and he's improving each and every season he is here. So, why in the world would you keep Allen over him? Why throw a ton of money at a guy who can't stay on the field.

Fleener will be re-signed before Dwayne Allen. The Colts would be foolish to let him walk. Plus, his chemistry with Luck has been off the charts.

Luck will also be getting his contract extension next offseason, I think

I believe so too. His contract is going to determine the rest of the 2012 draft class. I'm praying that his contact is cap friendly. I'm hoping he can work something out where we can stay competitive for many more years, but he can still make the money that he deserves. Here's to wishful thinking though.

Health aside, Allen is the superior player.  Light years ahead of Fleener as a blocker and is a pretty damn good receiver himself.  No he won't give a ton of big plays down the field but he is still a significantly greater impact player.

Allen is a better blocker.. but the guy needs to be on the field to help us.

Fleener is taller, faster and has some pretty decent receiving skills as well.. BUT MOST Importantly. He stays healthy.