Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Erik Swoope is turning into a football player

RockThatBlue

Where I'm always wearing my blue tinted glasses I'm always getting really excited about guys like this. Hoping for hidden gems and that type of thing. I was hoping Sifrin would turn out to be something but oh well. But anyways I think Swoope has the ability, but who knows if he'll put it together.

I mainly want to see what his blocking looks like.  My gut is he's probably already better than Doyle in the passing game. At the end of training camp I am assuming the Colts will still place him on the PS because he should still have some PS eligibility left I think.  I wouldn't be surprised if he were called up to the 53 man roster at some point during the season if injury occurs.  I am glad that he's progressing for sure!

I mainly want to see what his blocking looks like.  My gut is he's probably already better than Doyle in the passing game. At the end of training camp I am assuming the Colts will still place him on the PS because he should still have some PS eligibility left I think.  I wouldn't be surprised if he were called up to the 53 man roster at some point during the season if injury occurs.  I am glad that he's progressing for sure!

It will be interesting.  If he makes plays in preseason it will be hard to put him on PS -- because if he is on PS he can be taken from us from other teams who might want him on their 53. 

Two years ago, when we brought Adongo up to the 53 late in the season, I always thought the reason might have been to protect him from being signed by another team.  I think the same will happen with Swoope, if he shows to be living up to reaching his potential in preseason, it'll be tough to store him away on the PS.  I am a big Doyle fan, but Allen's ability to block (and another year of him being healthy), may cancel out our need to have an additional blocking TE if Swoope shows he can be a legitimate receiving threat.

It will be interesting.  If he makes plays in preseason it will be hard to put him on PS -- because if he is on PS he can be taken from us from other teams who might want him on their 53. 

Two years ago, when we brought Adongo up to the 53 late in the season, I always thought the reason might have been to protect him from being signed by another team.  I think the same will happen with Swoope, if he shows to be living up to reaching his potential in preseason, it'll be tough to store him away on the PS.  I am a big Doyle fan, but Allen's ability to block (and another year of him being healthy), may cancel out our need to have an additional blocking TE if Swoope shows he can be a legitimate receiving threat.

I think we'll still use that extra TE on running plays.  Seems to be one of Peps staples.

If he shows enough in preseason then maybe they consider getting rid of Doyle and going

with Swoope.  I need to see more before I fully endorse that move.

I'm pretty sure the only time we'd have to legitimately worry about losing Swoope is during the waiver clearing process. Once signed to the PS, if another team wants to sign him, the Colts could just make him the same type of offer to get him on their 53 man roster.  However, I don't know if there are any types of rules that force the player, agent or other team to notify the Colts if an offer is made.  But bottom line, if the Colts want to keep Swoope, and he wants to remain in Indy, then they can make sure that he stays once he clears waivers.

If he really shows to have the talent he's talked up to have, then the Colts will make the required moves to keep him here. He would give us some added options at TE for the future if we lose anybody.  Again this is assuming he shows promise.

I think we'll still use that extra TE on running plays.  Seems to be one of Peps staples.

If he shows enough in preseason then maybe they consider getting rid of Doyle and going

with Swoope.  I need to see more before I fully endorse that move.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how he does.  I agree with you, I'm hoping he is a complete player or well on his way to becoming one before we sign him.  It will also be interesting to see how our OL develops.  If a guy like Ulrich John shows talent and quickness as a blocker, there could be the potential to use him in our jumbo packages.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how he does.  I agree with you, I'm hoping he is a complete player or well on his way to becoming one before we sign him.  It will also be interesting to see how our OL develops.  If a guy like Ulrich John shows talent and quickness as a blocker, there could be the potential to use him in our jumbo packages.

Yeah I'm watching John and Denzelle Goode.  I have this hunch about Goode, and if he sticks like I think he will that's going to be a mountain of a man in those jumbo packages if his number is called.

I honestly think he and Ulrich John are going to turn out to be keepers.  If I am right, then the way Grigson approaches the tackle position is kinda of cool because he seems to want to develop them behind some vets for a year or two before he throws them to the wolves as opposed to drafting them high and saying "Good Luck".  They may fit into the tackle puzzle next year along with Mewhort I suppose. Just observing things

In the limited time we saw him last preseason, he looked very smooth in the passing game (to me at least). 

He's put on the weight, hopefully he's learning the techniques.  I agree with you, if he can block as well as Doyle he probably wins the spot.  Nothing against Doyle, he's been a pleasant surprise.

Yeah I'm watching John and Denzelle Goode.  I have this hunch about Goode, and if he sticks like I think he will that's going to be a mountain of a man in those jumbo packages if his number is called.

I honestly think he and Ulrich John are going to turn out to be keepers.  If I am right, then the way Grigson approaches the tackle position is kinda of cool because he seems to want to develop them behind some vets for a year or two before he throws them to the wolves as opposed to drafting them high and saying "Good Luck".  They may fit into the tackle puzzle next year along with Mewhort I suppose. Just observing things

I think I remember Grigs saying when he first took the job that OL is the one position where he doesn't trust rookies to start right away.

I think I remember Grigs saying when he first took the job that OL is the one position where he doesn't trust rookies to start right away.

Grigson was asked in a press conference if, given the choice, would he rather start a rookie OL or rookie CB, and Grigson said he would choose CB because it's more about physical talent and technique, whereas the entire OL has to be on the same page as far as blocking schemes, making adjustments on the fly etc.  So, given the choice and without knowing anything about the 2 specific players, as a general rule he would prefer starting rookie CBs rather than rookie OL.  :)

So Swoope has some pretty good speed.  I pulled up this old article from last year.

Swoope has routinely run the 40-yard dash in the low 4.6s. His 35-inch vertical leap would have placed second among tight ends at the 2014 Scouting Combine. He has bench-pressed more weight (365lbs) than Hurricanes coach Jim Larranaga has seen out of any basketball player in 43 years of coaching.

"He looks natural," coach Chuck Pagano said. "We've had guys here before that couldn't even get in a stance. He can get in a stance. He looks natural running routes. He's obviously got great ball skills and hands. He doesn't drop any balls.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000353261/article/erik-swoope-exceeds-indianapolis-colts-expectations

If Swoope really does pan out and turns into a player,  the Colts will have to find room for him.

If that's the case, I don't see him clearing waivers.   I think some team will put in a claim for him and then we're toast.

But a 4th tight end is difficult to carry.   As of now, Swoope appears to be more Fleener than Allen.     Not sure he can replace Doyle.  Don't think that's his game.    Think he's more pass catcher than blocking tight end.   At least,  that's my perception of him.

Doyle is a heck of a blocker. He didn't get many chances to catch passes last year. Just sayin, I really like Doyle. He's a dying breed, a tight end that can block like a full back/G

I think he makes the practice squad and we will continue to groom him over the season. Unless, someone gets injured I wouldn't expect him to see playing time until next season at the earliest. But it seems like the coaches like what they are seeing from him.

In 2016 we will unleash the Swoope.

If Swoope really does pan out and turns into a player, the Colts will have to find room for him.

If that's the case, I don't see him clearing waivers. I think some team will put in a claim for him and then we're toast.

But a 4th tight end is difficult to carry. As of now, Swoope appears to be more Fleener than Allen. Not sure he can replace Doyle. Don't think that's his game. Think he's more pass catcher than blocking tight end. At least, that's my perception of him.

I agree much more difficult to master the position than learn how to become a receiving TE. With Allen's injury history it'd be a risk replacing Doyle with Swoope IMO. Doyle has been solid for us.

It'll be hard to carry 4 if Quarles pans out like I think he will. Hopefully we can stash him on the PS for another yr make that decision next yr when it's time to fork out cash.

If Swoope really does pan out and turns into a player,  the Colts will have to find room for him.

If that's the case, I don't see him clearing waivers.   I think some team will put in a claim for him and then we're toast.

But a 4th tight end is difficult to carry.   As of now, Swoope appears to be more Fleener than Allen.     Not sure he can replace Doyle.  Don't think that's his game.    Think he's more pass catcher than blocking tight end.   At least,  that's my perception of him.

Their roster management this year will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

If Swoope proves to be a player, I don't think they can risk exposing him to the PS even though I think their bigger plans for him would be in 2016.

Other positions of interest - how do they handle the log jam at receiver?  Barring injury, clearly Johnson, TY, Dorsett & Moncrief are locks.  Does Whalen still have PS eligibility?  If Carter shows he can play at all, do they risk the same situation with Swoope and try to sneak him onto the PS?  Would they keep 6 WR's on the active roster?

RB is also interesting.  I think ideally they would like to carry 3 on the active roster and have one on the PS in the likely event of injury.  Gore is a lock.  But between Herron, Ballard, Robinson & Tipton - are any of those guys definitive to make the opening day roster?  Herron I would think is the closest to a sure thing but that is certainly not a lock.

OLB also interests me - Werner, Walden, Newsome, Cole, Cam Johnson & Mathis can't all make the roster.  Clearly if Mathis is healthy they would like him to be there in September.  But I think him on the PUP to start the season is not the worst thing in the world.  

Anyway - sorry to take the thread off track.

Their roster management this year will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

If Swoope proves to be a player, I don't think they can risk exposing him to the PS even though I think their bigger plans for him would be in 2016.

Other positions of interest - how do they handle the log jam at receiver?  Barring injury, clearly Johnson, TY, Dorsett & Moncrief are locks.  Does Whalen still have PS eligibility?  If Carter shows he can play at all, do they risk the same situation with Swoope and try to sneak him onto the PS?  Would they keep 6 WR's on the active roster?

RB is also interesting.  I think ideally they would like to carry 3 on the active roster and have one on the PS in the likely event of injury.  Gore is a lock.  But between Herron, Ballard, Robinson & Tipton - are any of those guys definitive to make the opening day roster?  Herron I would think is the closest to a sure thing but that is certainly not a lock.

OLB also interests me - Werner, Walden, Newsome, Cole, Cam Johnson & Mathis can't all make the roster.  Clearly if Mathis is healthy they would like him to be there in September.  But I think him on the PUP to start the season is not the worst thing in the world.  

Anyway - sorry to take the thread off track.

I agree. It will be tough

I like Carter to be number 5 at WR

Cam Johnson REALLY has to show something to stay 

Gore, Robinson, Herron, Tipton to PS

But, depending on Development.... we will have one TE too many

I dont think that they move Fleener, Swoop, or Doyle

I think the person that COULD get traded is Is Allen

I believe him to have some trade value, like a late 2nd.

Swoop or Doyle dont have the value.

I suppose it is possible but I would say it is extremely unlikely they trade a TE. If Swoope can play they have depth now. If they trade Allen and then have an injury they have a real problem.

I see Fleener as much more likely trade bait than Allen. If they're grooming Swoope for anything, it's more Fleener's role than Allen's. Plus, Allen is a rare talent.

I see Fleener as much more likely trade bait than Allen. If they're grooming Swoope for anything, it's more Fleener's role than Allen's. Plus, Allen is a rare talent.

You may be right, but Allen to me, is still more potential and quite honestly a bit of a risk to the Colts as he hasnt beaten the injury bug

Thats why I would consider him.

I do believe that some of the reps that Fleener took last year will be taken by a WR 

I suppose it is possible but I would say it is extremely unlikely they trade a TE. If Swoope can play they have depth now. If they trade Allen and then have an injury they have a real problem.

Doyle really isnt a bad player. I consider him quality depth

If Swoop comes on, you will have 4 valid players for 3 spots (or maybe even 2 spots)

At least one quality player will be gone

Doyle really isnt a bad player. I consider him quality depth

If Swoop comes on, you will have 4 valid players for 3 spots (or maybe even 2 spots)

At least one quality player will be gone

Did not say Doyle was a bad player.

They will at minimum have 3 TE's and if Swoope can actually play I think it likely they carry 4 TE's on the 53.  This is the crux of what I was saying in my initial post - how the Colts manage the roster this year will be very interesting.

A trade of any TE is extremely unlikely.