Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign TE Sean McGrath, waive TE Jean Sifrin

MTC

Per Kevin Bowen of colts.com

Pretty disappointed Sifrin got waived. I've heard good things about him during the pre-draft process.

Haven't heard much about Sean McGrath besides the fact he recently "un-retired" and that he has an awesome beard.

76944162.jpg

Another head scratcher!

It's the late off season... you're not gonna get a big name player this late, Grigs is just doing as he should...kicking over rocks to see what's there....

I remember when Polian signed Jeff Saturday and people wrote him off...how'd that work out for us.

Why would we do this? I've seen several people on here who really thought Sifrin had potential. Even a guy said he could be a Jimmy Graham type. This McGrath guy will not make the roster so why not keep Sifrin if he really does have big time potential. Its like McGrath is what he is you know. Sifrin could still be something. We don't know how good or bad he could be. He's still more interesting to me than McGrath because of that.

Why would we do this? I've seen several people on here who really thought Sifrin had potential. Even a guy said he could be a Jimmy Graham type. This McGrath guy will not make the roster so why not keep Sifrin if he really does have big time potential. Its like McGrath is what he is you know. Sifrin could still be something. We don't know how good or bad he could be. He's still more interesting to me than McGrath because of that.

Just because several people on here thought the guy had potential doesn't mean they are right. I highly doubt the colts would have waived him if they agreed.

Maybe because Sifrin sucks

I remember McGrath with KC 2 years ago. He was their starting TE for several games I think. I remember him having some good games. He's not great or anything, but he wasn't bad by any means. I just didn't understand why we released a guy who apparently had a lot of potential. But one thing I don't get is that we don't have an open spot at TE with Fleener, Allen, and Doyle. We wont carry 4 obviously. I mean Doyle's valuable IMO. He's versatile. He's a good blocker, he plays FB, he plays hard, etc. I really like him, but the more I think about this the more I wonder if McGrath will beat out Doyle. We'll see I guess.

I remember McGrath with KC 2 years ago. He was their starting TE for several games I think. I remember him having some good games. He's not great or anything, but he wasn't bad by any means. I just didn't understand why we released a guy who apparently had a lot of potential. But one thing I don't get is that we don't have an open spot at TE with Fleener, Allen, and Doyle. We wont carry 4 obviously. I mean Doyle's valuable IMO. He's versatile. He's a good blocker, he plays FB, he plays hard, etc. I really like him, but the more I think about this the more I wonder if McGrath will beat out Doyle. We'll see I guess.

To beat out Doyle he would have to get past Swoope as well

lmao, really?

To beat out Doyle he would have to get past Swoope as well

I don't think Mcgrath would have a problem beating out a basketball player who has yet to play a down in the NFL or at any level honestly....McGrath had 26 receptions as a rookie while only starting 9 games and had 2 td's, I think his real competition will be Doyle

I don't think Mcgrath would have a problem beating out a basketball player who has yet to play a down in the NFL or at any level honestly....McGrath had 26 receptions as a rookie while only starting 8 games and had 2 td's, I think his real competition will be Doyle

Not saying you are wrong but at this point Swoope and even Sinz have a leg up on him

I don't think Mcgrath would have a problem beating out a basketball player who has yet to play a down in the NFL or at any level honestly....McGrath had 26 receptions as a rookie while only starting 9 games and had 2 td's, I think his real competition will be Doyle

That wasn't his rookie season, it was his 2nd year. And I wouldn't underestimate Swoope but I agree it's Doyle vs. McGrath because they're both more blocking TEs, Swoope is likely more a receiver.

Sifrin is very raw and he is already 27. That doesn't really equate to a high ceiling. He must really not be able to play though if they cut him this early.

So from what you know our staff blew this? :console:

Just because several people on here thought the guy had potential doesn't mean they are right. I highly doubt the colts would have waived him if they agreed.

Yeah, they've been working with him for a month now, have had however many OTAs and sessions, and they decided for whatever reason that he wasn't going to be part of their plans anymore. It's not like they didn't know anything about him.

You're trying to make a case that the Colts should've kept a 27 year old rookie, rather than a player who not only has made an NFL roster,  but he's actually played in real NFL regular season games,  and even STARTED 9 of them!!

If the Colts cut a player this early,  then the Colts think they have a good idea what he can and can't do.

And you're complaining about what we did?!

Stop and think about that for a moment......