Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Castanzo makes nfl.com most underrated

12isthenew18

If he improves his run blocking more the word...ELITE just may start to come up instead of underrated, Pulling for ya Castonzo! Way to develop! you can tell just by the reshaping of his body how hard he has worked since coming into the league let alone his production, Has to continue to improve in the run game though

6 sacks in the last 2 years?

I thought there was a thread around here in the past week that showed Castanzo had a negative pass blocking grade in 2013?

How could that be if he's supposedly such a good pass blocker?

Sometimes I think these stats can be very, very misleading.....

We gotta sign AC long term. Dude is a baller. He and Mewhort were the only things keeping Luck alive last year haha

six sacks allowed in 2 years? Thats insane. I hope Mewhort can go play LG this season, to solidify that side completely. Herremans should improve the right side, so as of now we gotta solve the C and RT positions.

BTW, anyone hear anything about that Ben Heenan dude? I watch a bit of CFL games here in Canada, and whenever the Stampeders played, he looked really good (theres a reason he was a number one overall pick).

I thought there was a thread around here in the past week that showed Castanzo had a negative pass blocking grade in 2013?

You're talking about two different things. PFF's grades aren't just based on stats, like sacks allowed. They're grades are obviously subjective. Also, AC didn't give up a lot of sacks in 2013, but he did give up a lot of pressures, which includes hits and hurries.

If he improves his run blocking more the word...ELITE just may start to come up instead of underrated, Pulling for ya Castonzo! Way to develop! you can tell just by the reshaping of his body how hard he has worked since coming into the league let alone his production, Has to continue to improve in the run game though

I agree Gavin. Castanzo does work his tail off to improve every single season. I've always liked the kid. 

By my count:

.5 vs Denver (.5 Sack off Ware...Ware got another one but Luck stepped up into it)

1 vs Pitt (Harrison)

1  at Jax (off Clemons)

In my opinion anything under 6 sacks by any O Lineman is great..That averages 25 or fewer sacks for the season....For comparison Peyton averaged 19 sacks per season his first 3 years......Luck has averaged 33......Often I compare how Favre played the game to how Luck does which I believe is pretty accurate, Both tend to hold onto the ball often, will once in a while flip the ball instead of taking a sack and both took 95-100 sacks in there (Favre 95...Luck 100) first 3 years worth of starts

You're talking about two different things. PFF's grades aren't just based on stats, like sacks allowed. They're grades are obviously subjective. Also, AC didn't give up a lot of sacks in 2013, but he did give up a lot of pressures, which includes hits and hurries.

Sometimes it feels (to me at least) that Luck -- as much as I love him -- is going to get his offensive lineman very poor grades.

Andrew holds on to the ball so long,  much longer than most QB's -- always trying to make a play and find something down field -- it feels like our OL can only block for so long before these guys hit Andrew and that impacts the grades for the OL.

As you were saying the grading is subjective, and sometimes it feels like some of sacks, hits and pressures should be on Luck instead of our OL.

Just thinking out loud.......

Sometimes it feels (to me at least) that Luck -- as much as I love him -- is going to get his offensive lineman very poor grades.

Andrew holds on to the ball so long,  much longer than most QB's -- always trying to make a play and find something down field -- it feels like our OL can only block for so long before these guys hit Andrew and that impacts the grades for the OL.

As you were saying the grading is subjective, and sometimes it feels like some of sacks, hits and pressures should be on Luck instead of our OL.

Exactly

Totally agree. I don't think you can just look at pressure totals or sacks totals and say "that's a good lineman" or "that's a bad lineman." I think those stats give comparable data points, which are useful, but if you don't know anything about the offense, the QB, the gameplans, the opponents, etc., those stats can be taken completely out of context.

As always, the best way to draw conclusions is by observation, but for pretty much all of us, it's impossible to watch every player, every team, every game, and know what we're watching or how to break it down. That's the value in sites like PFF and their charting. But even then, it's hard to determine how many of those pressures are due to the play breaking down, the QB holding the ball too long, etc.

PFF also charts how long each QB has on average before he throws, before he's pressured, and before he's sacked. Luck's numbers there are higher than a lot of other QBs, especially the top notch vets like Brady, Manning, etc. But they don't break this down by lineman, so it's hard to say how many of the pressures AC gave up were the result of Luck holding on to the ball longer than normal. It could be that the majority of AC's pressures came 3 seconds after the snap, which would indicate that the blame is more on Luck / the receivers than on AC. That's just theoretical, though.

I thought he was one of the league's better run blockers last year or in 2013 by PFF ratings.  I might be making a mistake though

Just bumping this up because I think it's important for people to read this.  

I was not a fan of AC when the Colts drafted him, I wanted them to draft Rodney Hudson.  But I quickly became a fan when I started watching him.  And his hardwork, dedication to improving and continual improvement week in and week out have made me a huge AC fan.

I thought he was one of the league's better run blockers last year or in 2013 by PFF ratings. I might be making a mistake though

8th best run blocking tackle in 2013, 45th best in 2014. Also, 13th best in 2012. Prior to 2014 he was fantastic run blocker and slightly above average pass blocker, he flipped that in 2014, according to PFF. Hopefully, he does both excellent next year.

8th best run blocking tackle in 2013, 45th best in 2014. Also, 13th best in 2012. Prior to 2014 he was fantastic run blocker and slightly above average pass blocker, he flipped that in 2014, according to PFF. Hopefully, he does both excellent next year.

Thanks for the info!

I think a lot of that is the Bruce Arians effect and Luck has to work his way out of it. Although Rodgers holds the ball longer than Luck and his lineman do a fine job....when healthy.

He gave up a huge number of hits and hurries in 2013. The reason he and Gosder were rated as PFF 3rd worst pass blocking Tandem.

Since about game 11-12 of Lucks Rookie season teams adjusted their rush because of Andrews es-capability.

We were getting killed all along the line and Andrew most often was escaping left, depending on which way AC was getting beat.

More often Andrew went between AC and the guard.

So ever since, teams give up some of their 4 man rush to stay in their rush lanes to keep Andrew in the pocket.

This made AC look much better as far as sacks go, but they still have been able to drive him back into Luck consistently.

He did Finally show some improvement at holding his ground and keeping guys away from Andrew last season.

Let us look forward to see his work this season, as i know i hope he gets to enjoy better play from his LG, TE`s, running game, and the line unit as a whole.

He gave up a huge number of hits and hurries in 2013. The reason he and Gosder were rated as PFF 3rd worst pass blocking Tandem.

Since about game 11-12 of Lucks Rookie season teams adjusted their rush because of Andrews es-capability.

We were getting killed all along the line and Andrew most often was escaping left, depending on which way AC was getting beat.

More often Andrew went between AC and the guard.

So ever since, teams give up some of their 4 man rush to stay in their rush lanes to keep Andrew in the pocket.

This made AC look much better as far as sacks go, but they still have been able to drive him back into Luck consistently.

He did Finally show some improvement at holding his ground and keeping guys away from Andrew last season.

Let us look forward to see his work this season, as i know i hope he gets to enjoy better play from his LG, TE`s, running game, and the line unit as a whole.

We had a thread recently where some poster put up the 2013 grades...

Castanzo had a negative grade,  but Cherilous had a plus grade.....   and even with that,  they were the 3rd worst tandem?

I'm having a little trouble getting my brain wrapped around that one.....