Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any info on Henry Anderson or D'Joun Smith so far in OTA's?

Yoshinator

There has been a lot of good news for our players in OTA's so far, but two players I've yet to hear anything about are our 3rd rounders in D'Joun Smith and Henry Anderson. I'm hoping no news is good news in this case. Has there been any news on them I've missed or have they not done much of anything yet or are they just doing their job for now or what? I'd like to hear something positive or negative and there has been nothing to go off of.

Smith is being talked about. Said they expect him to be our #3 CB by seasons end. So either butler is declining, he's better than butler, or he'll be taking Greg's spot

Anderson I've heard nothing about

Mini camp starts June 9th so hang tight and I'm sure I'll be making numerous threads with updates for you guys like I did with my OTA notes thread

:colts:

Smith is being talked about. Said they expect him to be our #3 CB by seasons end. So either butler is declining, he's better than butler, or he'll be taking Greg's spot

Mini camp starts June 9th so hang tight and I'm sure I'll be making numerous threads with updates for you guys like I did with my OTA notes thread

Thanks TKnight! Good to hear that about Smith, and I look forward to seeing your updates!

Stephen Holder of the Indy Star said on the radio that Henry Anderson stepped into the #1 unit when Langford tweaked an ankle and was out a few plays. Holder said he didn't miss a beat and looked the part. He also said he looks massive out there. Good to hear. I on the contrary haven't heard anything about Smith. I've heard more about Geathers than Smith.

Stephen Holder of the Indy Star said on the radio that Henry Anderson stepped into the #1 unit when Langford tweaked an ankle and was out a few plays. Holder said he didn't miss a beat and looked the part. He also said he looks massive out there. Good to hear. I on the contrary haven't heard anything about Smith. I've heard more about Geathers than Smith.

Yeah, I heard that too.

Who said the bolded?  Who is they?  

You expect Anderson to be starting over Langford this year?

I will admit, based on Anderson being a 3rd round pick (and a steal at that), combined with being a little older as a rookie and Langford being pretty average, I'd be disappointed if Henry Anderson didn't didn't start over Kendall Langford at some point this year.

Colts.com.

I believe Kevin Bowen wrote the article.

Yeah, call me skeptical.  I am thinking you mis-remebered the article.  That is not something anyone of import on the team would say.  In fact the article I read on Colts.com about Smith said nothing of the sort.

You expect Anderson to be starting over Langford this year?

I've kind of wondered if we may end up putting Jones at NT, then Langford and Anderson at DE. But this is assuming none of Chapman, Hughes, or Kerr really break out and turn into beasts.

Yeah, call me skeptical. I am thinking you mis-remebered the article. That is not something anyone of import on the team would say. In fact the article I read on Colts.com about Smith said nothing of the sort.

I agree, Kevin Bowen is smarter than that. No one worth their salt would have made such a claim.

I wonder if COMPETE for the number three corner job this season got twisted into being the number three corner this year.  Also, while this forum might not be high on Toler he's been the Colts number two whenever he's been healthy I don't see him dropping to number three or four on depth chart.  If Butler was going to pass him he would have done it by now. 

I wonder if COMPETE for the number three corner job this season got twisted into being the number three corner this year.  Also, while this forum might not be high on Toler he's been the Colts number two whenever he's been healthy I don't see him dropping to number three or four on depth chart.  If Butler was going to pass him he would have done it by now.

Yeah, Toler is staying at our two. The only corner position that may be up for grabs is the slot. The only way This changes is due to injures, but let's all pray that doesn't happen.

Are you sure it wasn't Kevin Bacon?

This is why I have to read every post in a thread. The surprise easter egg humor hidden within. Well played M-432. Bravo!

I can always count on you & CR91 to make me raise an eyebrow, say what the hades, & chuckle. 

If Butler was going to pass him he would have done it by now. 

he has come out and said he would rather be the nickel back.

it seems like the FO is assuming we will lose either toler or butler in the next year or two

Anderson is the exact type of 3-4 DE I wanted the Colts to draft.  He looks a little soft to me, but I have no doubt he plays with heavy hands and power.   Give him one solid offseason in the weight room and another year of adding natural man weight and he will be a mountain of a force that will demolish most OT's in the league.  My big concern is if any of our young NT's have turned the corner after a few years in the league.  If not, we'll be in for another year of watching our smallish ILB's making tackles after 5 yard gains.  Chapman and Hughes are going to be the pieces that will make or break the run D IMHO.

he has come out and said he would rather be the nickel back.

it seems like the FO is assuming we will lose either toler or butler in the next year or two

the Colts have said many times the really like him as the nickel as well. Butler signed a two year deal this off-season I believe but that could be wrong. Toler's was a four year deal when first signed so yes it does appear that they are preparing themselves for the next round of free agency at that pointin and I also think they knew once you got past the top three corners (which I think is the best set of 1-3 corners in the league) that they didn't have anything so they needed depth.

I think the reason you don't hear much about Anderson  and the other big guys is because of no contact rule.  It'd hard to tell about them until they put the pads on and start banging each other around.

As far as the DB's and WR's you can get a little idea about them by their speed, coverage skills, separation, and receiving.

Good to hear. I expect Anderson to be starting by some point, and for him to really make an impact. My 2 favorite draft picks.

I expect him to see significant playing time, i dont see him starting unless Jones or Langford goes down with an Injury!

the Colts have said many times the really like him as the nickel as well. Butler signed a two year deal this off-season I believe but that could be wrong. Toler's was a four year deal when first signed so yes it does appear that they are preparing themselves for the next round of free agency at that pointin and I also think they knew once you got past the top three corners (which I think is the best set of 1-3 corners in the league) that they didn't have anything so they needed depth.

You're right about Butler, but Toler signed a three year deal. He's set to be a free agent after 2015.

I don't think there is much recent precident of rookie Colt DL starting right away.  Hughes, Chapman (injured), and Kerr all garnered little PT as rookies.  Kerr got more playing time than the others, as Jones and Redding were injured early.  That being said, Anderson is the highest DL selected during the Grigson/Pagano era...

I don't think there is much recent precident of rookie Colt DL starting right away.  Hughes, Chapman (injured), and Kerr all garnered little PT as rookies.  Kerr got more playing time than the others, as Jones and Redding were injured early.  That being said, Anderson is the highest DL selected during the Grigson/Pagano era...

I get the impression that Grigson and Pagano were drooling when he dropped to them. I feel like they have high expectations for him, but that's just the way interpreted it. Especially when Pags gave his "Oh that run thing, we're gonna fix that" sound byte.