Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Lowery isn't bad at all

Superman

I haven't really sat down to watch him until now. Started with the Saints games from last season because I knew he was matched up on Jimmy Graham a lot in those games. He did a solid job, too. They used him in man coverage on TEs and slot receivers, just what we want our strong safety to do, and he stuck to Graham, Colston, Toon, backs in the flats, etc. He wasn't perfect, but he was pretty good. Quick feet, even if he's a little stiff, good body positioning, he contests passes well...

Most impressive is how he defended crossing patterns. He was almost always right on the receivers hip, never got caught up in traffic across the middle, even on designed rub plays. He closed down well when he was in off-man coverage, and tackled pretty well when a receiver did make a catch in his area. 

He looked worst when he was in short zone coverage. Not consistently, but every once in a while, he'd be completely turned around and not sure of where his assignment was. It didn't lead to catches in the games I've watched so far, but it's still not good. 

Has decent range on the back end, not Ed Reed or anything, but adequate. He can get to the sideline to cover a deep route over the top, and he can streak down to close on a short completion.

His run support isn't good. Doesn't stack and shed very well, doesn't consistently arrive at the play with authority, usually comes in too high... more of a safe run defender than a playmaker.

The staff says they want interchangeable safeties, rather than the prototypical box SS with a rangy FS over the top. I think Lowery fits the bill. He can play decent man coverage, particularly against TEs and across the middle, and that's been the weakest part of our pass defense for two seasons. If he's our opening day starter along with Mike Adams, I'm good with it. 

The back end is going to be solid the best thing is we have youth behind it. Dewey last year and Smith and Geathers this year.

I really like what we are doing on D. We are building a nice mix of vets with youth behind them

I think the D takes a big step this year. We get a push up the middle bring it a little quicker from the edges. A half second will lead to more turnovers.

It hasn't moved as quickly as we fans would have liked. There was obviously a plan and it is starting to come together in a way that will be sustainable

In my opinion Grig's is doing a great job of getting us where we need to be and doing it in a way we are going to be one of the top teams for the Luck years

Andrew obviously makes the job easier but I really like what we have done. We pulled a ton of talent last year with basically 3 picks. I really like the players we have brought in this year. It would be nice if the 2013 draft showed this year

We get the O Line to come together. We will be a very difficult team to deal with.

I believe he's 29.. Maybe he can turn into how Mike Adams was for us last year, and considering he's Still got some years in him, it would be a nice transition when Adams calls it quits.

And a guy like Geathers/Dewey can come step in without there being much of a downfall

The back end is going to be solid the best thing is we have youth behind it. Dewey last year and Smith and Geathers this year.

I really like what we are doing on D. We are building a nice mix of vets with youth behind them

I think the D takes a big step this year. We get a push up the middle bring it a little quicker from the edges. A half second will lead to more turnovers.

It hasn't moved as quickly as we fans would have liked. There was obviously a plan and it is starting to come together in a way that will be sustainable

In my opinion Grig's is doing a great job of getting us where we need to be and doing it in a way we are going to be one of the top teams for the Luck years

Andrew obviously makes the job easier but I really like what we have done. We pulled a ton of talent last year with basically 3 picks. I really like the players we have brought in this year. It would be nice if the 2013 draft showed this year

We get the O Line to come together. We will be a very difficult team to deal with.

The plan would be much quicker if the pieces to the puzzle would stop their run ins with the boys who have badges and handcuffs

:facepalm:

like Mr. Boyett who thinks once you hit the NFL you're above the law smh

I haven't really sat down to watch him until now. Started with the Saints games from last season because I knew he was matched up on Jimmy Graham a lot in those games. He did a solid job, too. They used him in man coverage on TEs and slot receivers, just what we want our strong safety to do, and he stuck to Graham, Colston, Toon, backs in the flats, etc. He wasn't perfect, but he was pretty good. Quick feet, even if he's a little stiff, good body positioning, he contests passes well...

Most impressive is how he defended crossing patterns. He was almost always right on the receivers hip, never got caught up in traffic across the middle, even on designed rub plays. He closed down well when he was in off-man coverage, and tackled pretty well when a receiver did make a catch in his area. 

He looked worst when he was in short zone coverage. Not consistently, but every once in a while, he'd be completely turned around and not sure of where his assignment was. It didn't lead to catches in the games I've watched so far, but it's still not good. 

Has decent range on the back end, not Ed Reed or anything, but adequate. He can get to the sideline to cover a deep route over the top, and he can streak down to close on a short completion.

His run support isn't good. Doesn't stack and shed very well, doesn't consistently arrive at the play with authority, usually comes in too high... more of a safe run defender than a playmaker.

The staff says they want interchangeable safeties, rather than the prototypical box SS with a rangy FS over the top. I think Lowery fits the bill. He can play decent man coverage, particularly against TEs and across the middle, and that's been the weakest part of our pass defense for two seasons. If he's our opening day starter along with Mike Adams, I'm good with it.

Nice analysis, Superman! Not only are the Colts a nightmare team to deal with offensively, the additions on defense this off-season have certainly become much more formidable. When you consider the entire package Indianapolis throws at it's opposing teams this year v. last by way of "positioning" it becomes much more "nightmarish". We've talked at length about scheming, faster substitutions, player versatility, and recognizing systematic play of offensive sets much more quickly than in the past.

We just have to incorporate those strategies on the field now. Play faster, play harder, play smash-mouth football on a higher scale. We adjust and adapt this protocol every single game? The sky is the limit for this team. Literally.

Better than Landry of course.

Absolutely. Different kind of player than Landry was when he was somewhat good, he doesn't play with that kind of reckless abandon, and he's better in coverage. I feel like Lowery can line up in man coverage anywhere and hold his own. 

We really nee a guy who can step in and help cover the opposing TE's. We now face Julius Thomas twice a year, Gronk, and even Walker from the Titans. If he can come in and play solid pass coverage, I'll be content with that.

Walker tends to have good games against us every year. We get shredded across the middle of the field, and in intermediate seams. Lowery did a pretty good job against Graham last season. 

Nice write-up, Superman!  I think you're spot on.  I actually think he will be able to improve by playing in our D.  Atlanta's D was so bad last year, especially at pressuring the QB (they were tied for 2nd worst in the league with 22 sacks).  We were tied for 9th with 41 sacks, and all signs point to us increasing there with the addition of Cole, another year of growth from Werner and Newsome, the return of Mathis and another year under a lot of our young defensive linemen's belts (plus a healthy Art Jones and addition of Langford and the rookies).  An improved pass rush automatically makes players in the secondary better.  Hopefully another year under Chapman and Hughes and a healthy Art Jones also improve our run D.  Also, Pagano and staff seem like DBs are who they can improve the most.

Nice summary Supe. He's a solid player, not a star, but certainly an improvement to the D.

Most importantly, he'll help ease the transition for the younger guys.

Exactly!  Lowery's addition means we can let Dewey and Geathers continue to develop without rushing them into anything.  I am pretty confident either of those guys could do a good job if they're ever forced into a starting role, but it is nice to have the flexibility to let them continue their development.

The plan would be much quicker if the pieces to the puzzle would stop their run ins with the boys who have badges and handcuffs

:facepalm:

like Mr. Boyett who thinks once you hit the NFL you're above the law smh

Mr. Boyett was a 6th round pick who was coming off a major knee injury, I'm pretty sure Dewey and Geathers have more potential than him.  Boyett is slower than both Dewey and Geathers and smaller (Boyett - 4.57 forty, and 5'9" 203 compared to Dewey's 4.43 and 6'0" 220 and Geathers' 4.35 forty and 6'2" 208 -- not that size and speed are everything, but I don't think Boyett was ever going to be a 'franchise safety').  LeFeged was a good STer, but was probably never going to be our full time safety before he got arrested.  Landry was a meathead, whose signing made sense at the time, but it was clear he wasn't going to work out in this system.  Only other guys I can remember on D who has been in trouble (with the law or with NFL) are D'Qwell for punching the pizza boy and Mathis for PEDs.  Oh, and Purifoy for hanging out with Rogers and for smoking dope, but he was a project pick anyway, he seemed to have potential but the reason he went undrafted was because that was almost expected of him.

Personally, I think what D'Qwell did is probably worse than what Boyett did (I don't know the circumstances of either case, D'Qwell may have just been defending himself though a NFL lineback punching a delivery boy seems a bit much to me, but it sounds like Boyett was just hammered and ran his mouth a little bit -- to his credit, he was 23 at the time of his arrest, I'm sure a lot of us who drink did some dumb things because of alcohol when we were 23).

Nice write-up, Superman!  I think you're spot on.  I actually think he will be able to improve by playing in our D.  Atlanta's D was so bad last year, especially at pressuring the QB (they were tied for 2nd worst in the league with 22 sacks).  We were tied for 9th with 41 sacks, and all signs point to us increasing there with the addition of Cole, another year of growth from Werner and Newsome, the return of Mathis and another year under a lot of our young defensive linemen's belts (plus a healthy Art Jones and addition of Langford and the rookies).  An improved pass rush automatically makes players in the secondary better.  Hopefully another year under Chapman and Hughes and a healthy Art Jones also improve our run D.  Also, Pagano and staff seem like DBs are who they can improve the most.

Exactly!  Lowery's addition means we can let Dewey and Geathers continue to develop without rushing them into anything.  I am pretty confident either of those guys could do a good job if they're ever forced into a starting role, but it is nice to have the flexibility to let them continue their development.

Mr. Boyett was a 6th round pick who was coming off a major knee injury, I'm pretty sure Dewey and Geathers have more potential than him.  Boyett is slower than both Dewey and Geathers and smaller (Boyett - 4.57 forty, and 5'9" 203 compared to Dewey's 4.43 and 6'0" 220 and Geathers' 4.35 forty and 6'2" 208 -- not that size and speed are everything, but I don't think Boyett was ever going to be a 'franchise safety').  LeFeged was a good STer, but was probably never going to be our full time safety before he got arrested.  Landry was a meathead, whose signing made sense at the time, but it was clear he wasn't going to work out in this system.  Only other guys I can remember on D who has been in trouble (with the law or with NFL) are D'Qwell for punching the pizza boy and Mathis for PEDs.  Oh, and Purifoy for hanging out with Rogers and for smoking dope, but he was a project pick anyway, he seemed to have potential but the reason he went undrafted was because that was almost expected of him.

Personally, I think what D'Qwell did is probably worse than what Boyett did (I don't know the circumstances of either case, D'Qwell may have just been defending himself though a NFL lineback punching a delivery boy seems a bit much to me, but it sounds like Boyett was just hammered and ran his mouth a little bit -- to his credit, he was 23 at the time of his arrest, I'm sure a lot of us who drink did some dumb things because of alcohol when we were 23).

With Boyett I think he has a more serious problem than just being hammered and running his mouth off.  He went to Denver and pulled the exact same thing that got his bags packed in Indy.  Same exact statements and everything.  I think he actually has a pretty bad alcohol problem.  I haven't seen anyone even trying to touch Boyett at this point.  He's pretty much ruined his career with those two incidents unless he can prove he's completely alcohol free without a doubt.

I agree 100% with everything you said akcolt especially what I bolded. You & I are pretty much on the same page 99% of the time. I like how you think man. Keep it up! 

Nice analysis, Superman! Not only are the Colts a nightmare team to deal with offensively, the additions on defense this off-season have certainly become much more formidable. When you consider the entire package Indianapolis throws at it's opposing teams this year v. last by way of "positioning" it becomes much more "nightmarish". We've talked at length about scheming, faster substitutions, player versatility, and recognizing systematic play of offensive sets much more quickly than in the past.

We just have to incorporate those strategies on the field now. Play faster, play harder, play smash-mouth football on a higher scale. We adjust and adapt this protocol every single game? The sky is the limit for this team. Literally.

Yep, at the risk of oversimplifying the situation, we must attack vs react. A lot of the time, it's too easy to over think something. That comes with time, chemistry, & health as you are well aware. Trust your eyes & your feet & hands will follow. This is gonna be a great year for INDY. Just a feelin' I have. 

Walker tends to have good games against us every year. We get shredded across the middle of the field, and in intermediate seams. Lowery did a pretty good job against Graham last season.

Hopefully he can continue to do the same for us (I don't see why he can't) plus, our pass rush should be leaps and bounds improved from last year, which should take a ton of pressure off our secondary.

Yep, at the risk of oversimplifying the situation, we must attack vs react. A lot of the time, it's too easy to over think something. That comes with time, chemistry, & health as you are well aware. Trust your eyes & your feet & hands will follow. This is gonna be a great year for INDY. Just a feelin' I have.

Exactly, SW1! Over-running plays by the defense has been a big problem over the last couple of years. When you do this, of course, it opens up the running game like the Grand Canyon. We must stop the run. (ad nauseam)

With Boyett I think he has a more serious problem than just being hammered and running his mouth off.  He went to Denver and pulled the exact same thing that got his bags packed in Indy.  Same exact statements and everything.  I think he actually has a pretty bad alcohol problem.  I haven't seen anyone even trying to touch Boyett at this point.  He's pretty much ruined his career with those two incidents unless he can prove he's completely alcohol free without a doubt.

You are probably right, I saw that he told the Denver PD to call Elway before they took him in.  Could be a bad alcohol problem, could be just 2 bad nights.  I think in the Denver case he got in a fight with his cab driver.  I still don't think that makes him worse than a guy that beats his wife, murders someone, or a lot of things other players in the league do.

Thing for Boyett is he is not a star.  If D'Qwell was a 3rd stringer trying to make the team instead of a pro-bowler, I doubt the franchise would keep him around for punching a pizza boy. 

For what it's worth,  someone here recently linked a story about Boyett which said he's been to and completed an alcohol rehab, and that he's been sober,  alcohol free for 7 months.

But, as you noted,  no one has touched him -- yet.

Perhaps later this summer someone will give him a tryout.

You want to dissect our problems on defense? NFl network has us vs NE on right now. Check it out .

November 16th, 2014 : Patriots at Colts

Jonas Gray - 37 rushes for 201 yards - 5.4 yard avg.

Patriots team rushing - 44 rushes for 246 yards - 5.6 yard avg.

Colts team rushing : 16 rushes for 19 yards - 1.2 yard avg.

Brady - 19/30 - 257 yards

Luck - 23/39 - 303 yards

Cannot let this continue in 2015. I know the defense played better last year at times. However, the opposing teams we face from now on concerning the "top tiered" NFL's best, has to be met head on with these stats in mind. Stop the run. (again, ad nauseam!)

btw ... Patriots 42. Colts 20.

Luck - 23/39 - 303 yards

Cannot let this continue in 2015. I know the defense played better last year at times. However, the opposing teams we face from now on concerning the "top tiered" NFL's best, has to be met head on with these stats in mind. Stop the run. (again, ad nauseam!)

It was 28-20 starting the 4th quarter. We had nothing going on the ground. I hope frank gore can help sustain drives. Trent is horrible, especially in this game.

Luck - 23/39 - 303 yards

Nice breakdown of our woes surrounding our lopsided battles with NE CS. Stuff the run, keep Chewy upright, & just like when the NY Giants beat NE for some sweet hardware twice: Put the other field general on his back as often as possible. 

It was 28-20 starting the 4th quarter. We had nothing going on the ground. I hope frank gore can help sustain drives. Trent is horrible, especially in this game.

No, Gore will be fine as long as we [our o-line] can get him to the second level before he is even touched. Gore will get the necessary yards if we give him free clearance with minimal obstructions up front. 

I really think the Colts will have a much more balanced team this year concerning the run game v. the upper tiered teams. Gore will most assuredly add to that. The remains backs of Ballard, Herron, Tipton, should offset pressure for Gore as well. If nothing else, it'll surely provide Luck with more time from Frank Gore's blocking ability. Having a "decent" running game along with the magnificent offensive weapons from WRs and TEs coupled with Andrew Luck's fantastic ability at QB, should show results right away, IMO.

I really think the Colts will have a much more balanced team this year concerning the run game v. the upper tiered teams. Gore will most assuredly add to that. The remains backs of Ballard, Herron, Tipton, should offset pressure for Gore as well. If nothing else, it'll surely provide Luck with more time from Frank Gore's blocking ability. Having a "decent" running game along with the magnificent offensive weapons from WRs and TEs coupled with Andrew Luck's fantastic ability at QB, should show results right away, IMO.

Man, I really hope y'all are right about Gore (and to a lesser extent, AJ).

Somehow, it feels to me like buying a beautiful used Porsche, with 200k miles on it, for a trip from Maine to California. It looks great, I've always wanted one, and I got it at a good price... but shouldn't I have thought twice about possible downsides?

If you aren't right about the impact Gore will have, I hope the management has a solid backup plan (one better than spending a first on the next TR).

Somehow, it feels to me like buying a beautiful used Porsche, with 200k miles on it, for a trip from Maine to California. It looks great, I've always wanted one, and I got it at a good price... but shouldn't I have thought twice about possible downsides?

If you aren't right about the impact Gore will have, I hope the management has a solid backup plan (one better than spending a first on the next TR).

As long as that beautiful used Porsche, with 200k miles on it, has been kept up mechanically? You betcha, schwamm! No problem it's gonna make many more trips from Maine to California without a hitch. Frank Gore is one of, if not the best, durable backs in the NFL that takes pride in keeping himself in tip-top form. The guy is a beast. Take a look at the yardage over the last several seasons. It's absolutely incredible from a back his age. And, he has a lot more in the tank as far as I concerned. IMO, he's going to contribute to the Colts, as well as AJ, on a much higher plain than most people think.

To me, setting aside what Gore can do, being rid of a slow and unproductive Richardson is an upgrade on its own.