Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL-AM on vacation

oldunclemark

The NFL Network's morning show 'NFL-AM' apparently was put on the shelf in the first week of May for a

'performance evaluation' What that probably means is: Nobody watched much DURING the season, much less during the off-season. And I guess that's true because it was off for a month and I didn't realize it was gone.

I like the concept of a pro football themed morning TV show but four hours (or even two hours, some hours were repeated) five days a week is a lot ...the season only lasts 7 months so what do you do the rest of the time.?

Plus the NFL Net is in LA so a morning show that airs at 6 a.m. in the east has to begin at 3 a.m. in the studio. Even if most of the hosts arent hung over, imagine starting a morning pro football talk show in May, June and July at 3 a.m. with nothing to talk about.

ESPN's 'Mike and Mike's morning TV show works because they can switch sports...plus the fact that they're on over 100 ESPN format radio stations which really cant drop them. Apparently NFL-AM's Molly Querim knows which way the wind is blowing. She left NFL-AM in May to apparently join the Mike and Mike morning show next month.

I think the NFL Net has been slimed some by the off the field' problems/crimes of Warren Sapp and the 'pick magnet' Darren Sharper, two fairly popular talkers.....but now they know how Roger Goddell feels, I guess.

I dont know what I'd do with a 24-hour pro football network in the offseason.

Any ideas?

...the season only lasts 7 months so what do you do the rest of the time.?

Talk about the Cowboys? 

Hey, they made their bed, now they can lie in it. They pretend to give daily news on all 32 teams, but they do not accomplish this by a wide margin. More concerned with tabloid style media than actual nuts-n-bolts football, their efforts to draw a wider, more diverse audience, fell flat when they failed to capture the female demographic the way they had hoped. 

Well....they could show more football. Their network has adopted a strategy for the off-season, and I'm not sure it's the best one. Their idea is to spend the bulk of the off-season discussing, promoting, previewing, and showing this silly 'Top 100 Players' list. 

That is their meta plan, their endgame for the off-season. Instead of showing actual football re-broadcasts, they're going to fill this void with their Top 100 list. 

The NFL Network's morning show 'NFL-AM' apparently was put on the shelf in the first week of May for a

'performance evaluation' What that probably means is: Nobody watched much DURING the season, much less during the off-season. And I guess that's true because it was off for a month and I didn't realize it was gone.

I like the concept of a pro football themed morning TV show but four hours (or even two hours, some hours were repeated) five days a week is a lot ...the season only lasts 7 months so what do you do the rest of the time.?

Plus the NFL Net is in LA so a morning show that airs at 6 a.m. in the east has to begin at 3 a.m. in the studio. Even if most of the hosts arent hung over, imagine starting a morning pro football talk show in May, June and July at 3 a.m. with nothing to talk about.

ESPN's 'Mike and Mike's morning TV show works because they can switch sports...plus the fact that they're on over 100 ESPN format radio stations which really cant drop them. Apparently NFL-AM's Molly Querim knows which way the wind is blowing. She left NFL-AM in May to apparently join the Mike and Mike morning show next month.

I think the NFL Net has been slimed some by the off the field' problems/crimes of Warren Sapp and the 'pick magnet' Darren Sharper, two fairly popular talkers.....but now they know how Roger Goddell feels, I guess.

Any ideas?

I actually would regularly turn on NFL AM during the season, especially on Mondays.  But I turned on a few times in the off season and it's pretty bad.  There just isn't much there to talk about it so they are incredibly desperate.  Especially after free agency and the draft has wrapped up and been talked about ad naseum.  

I did notice last week sometime that it wasn't on and thought that was weird but didn't think much of it.  

It's probably wise that they put it on the shelf for a while during the off season.  

I do watch the NFL AM during the season and really only on Mondays.  And even then I generally run it on DVR to skip the commercials and stuff that I do not want to see.  It is nice to have and was better than reruns of the prior nights NFL Total Access which the network ran in the past.

With that said though I do agree that is should be shelved or limited to one hour during the off season.  In empty space they could run rebroadcast like Ruksak mentioned.   

It's funny that it exists. 

The NFLN would go gang busters if they just played vintage footage of full games more often.

You know what? ..they tried that.

A year ago, they reran the best game of each of the 17 weeks.

They always rerun Super Bowls.  I like to see old games..but they may want new fans..not the hardcore addicts

One problem they do have. If they're going to run classic games, how do they tell the viewer (wh isnt watching the station) when they're on.?

That's one of the reaons they have NFL-AM and Total Axxess..To promote the rest of the schedule.

I would like to see them run an entire post-season each weekend. Every playoff game.

And get some present or retired players in the studio to talk about them

I used to enjoy the "Greatest High School Rivalry Games". I remember one episode was of the Glades in Florida and it showed Travis Benjamin and a couple of other players that actually made it to the NFL. Wish they would show those again

Yeah...24/7/365 NFL news and entertainment isn't easy to do and they're usually scrambling for off season content anyway.

But NFL AM probably needs to be trimmed down to 2 maybe 3 hours even during the season, instead of 4 hours....and then given a complete rest starting a week following the Super Bowl until a week or two before preseason.

In the mean time I suppose they'll again ramp up for their NFL Combine coverage, and then when the Combine is done, hand things off to Daniel Jeremiah and Charles Davis for two and a half months of Bataan Death March to the Draft so we can all be informed for our mocks! :P

After the draft, their 1-hour Total Access in the post-draft/free agency off season afternoons is usually more than enough for catching up on any other NFL news there is....like lying cheaters, scofflaws and felons. And Tim Tebow.

Whatever they do, if and when NFL AM returns, they need to cut out the corny "morning zoo" skits and babbling fluff segments. And I'm quite certain NFL Network as a whole has learned their lesson about cutting edge-gone catastrophically stupid ideas such as the creepy "Pick Magnet" segment.

Seriously...only "Food Channel recipe tips with Hannibal Lechter" could've sunken lower.

When NFLN started up it sounded great...but I'm not so sure anymore.

The big advantage that NFL football enjoys is that we're not over saturated with the game itself. And filling the 7 month balance of a year with broadcast content about a sport that only takes 5 months to play its season is bound to have its challenges.

Yeah...24/7/365 NFL news and entertainment isn't easy to do and they're usually scrambling for off season content anyway.

But NFL AM probably needs to be trimmed down to 2 maybe 3 hours even during the season, instead of 4 hours....and then given a complete rest starting a week following the Super Bowl until a week or two before preseason.

In the mean time I suppose they'll again ramp up for their NFL Combine coverage, and then when the Combine is done, hand things off to Daniel Jeremiah and Charles Davis for two and a half months of Bataan Death March to the Draft so we can all be informed for our mocks! :P

After the draft, their 1-hour Total Access in the post-draft/free agency off season afternoons is usually more than enough for catching up on any other NFL news there is....like lying cheaters, scofflaws and felons. And Tim Tebow.

Whatever they do, if and when NFL AM returns, they need to cut out the corny "morning zoo" skits and babbling fluff segments. And I'm quite certain NFL Network as a whole has learned their lesson about cutting edge-gone catastrophically stupid ideas such as the creepy "Pick Magnet" segment.

Seriously...only "Food Channel recipe tips with Hannibal Lechter" could've sunken lower.

When NFLN started up it sounded great...but I'm not so sure anymore.

The big advantage that NFL football enjoys is that we're not over saturated with the game itself. And filling the 7 month balance of a year with broadcast content about a sport that only takes 5 months to play its season is bound to have its challenges.

Good stuff, Paco..

I liked 'Path to the Draft'! although it was difficult to say with your mouth full.

The model is out there. ESPN has a morning show with an ex-NFL player discussing ALL sports.

'Michael & Kelly' is on in 100 markets....a morning TV show with an ex-NFL player interviewing entertainment stars.

Combine that.

NFL net is in LA..where the 'stars ' are.

Find a comedian...somebody like George Lopez.....an ex-NFL guy like Donovan McNabb...and a funny sports-flavored lady like Michele B\eadle ..and do a Morning Sports Zoo' radio-style

Here's the perfect role or Pat McAfee!

You know what? ..they tried that.

A year ago, they reran the best game of each of the 17 weeks.

They always rerun Super Bowls.  I like to see old games..but they may want new fans..not the hardcore addicts

One problem they do have. If they're going to run classic games, how do they tell the viewer (wh isnt watching the station) when they're on.?

That's one of the reaons they have NFL-AM and Total Axxess..To promote the rest of the schedule.

I would like to see them run an entire post-season each weekend. Every playoff game.

And get some present or retired players in the studio to talk about them

Good points- I'd just say that 1:00 on tuesdays and wednesdays (that's when I notice them) aren't going to net much of an audience against Judge Judy or Dr. Phil or whatever other claptrap of that style is on.

I have seen/heard them all.  I always seem to go back the Mike & Mike.  Now, I can access M&M through ESPN radio, ESPN radio app on my phone, ESPN2 on the Telly, even Sirius XM channel 83 (ESPN). So not only do I find their quirky 'Odd Couple' style to really work best for me, their accessibility is unmatched.  Their 'takes' do not seem scripted or planned. They have tremendous guests all of the time as well.  The show is a winner.

51N-ZBpA6pL._SY300_.jpgmikeandmike.jpg

Any ideas?

First off I haven't watched this show in a while. Also, I think the time slot would be beneficial in one aspect in LA as it would cut down on travel time to and from work for the hosts. If you've ever lived out there you know if you ask someone how long it takes to get someplace they'll always ask back when are you going. Traffic is a nightmare, even out in the suburbs where I was.

As for what to do in the off-season I think it's easy. They need to show old games. They could even do it during the season. They could do themes for the games; like wild comebacks, highest scoring games, defensive struggles, or super bowl's. They could show a full season of games of past super bowl champions. NFL fans like the game, no need to overthink this I think.

Edit: I should have read the thread before posting as ruksak, Yehoodi, and The Fish had the same idea of showing games. Great minds...

Some f this they've tried '5'

But when you show 16 games of one team, why would anybody else watch.?

they show all the Super Bowls in a weekend and I watch that.

The draft is good for them as is the schedule roll-out and the combine.

But they bneed someone who can bring people to the network when there's no football

..and they need to travel..even in the off season. Do a week from Chicago or NYC or Miami or Dallas.

Or have studios in LA, Chicago and NY and have host and guest switching back and forth.

I guess they're all talking about things like this right now..while they're on ice

This probably saves them a bunch of money, and frees up their people to do other projects and produce other content. NFL AM isn't that compelling to begin with, even more so during the ugly doldrums of the offseason.

Also, I heard on ESPN this weekend that national media isn't allowed access to OTAs, so they can't even really report on those. Nothing to do right now.

They need to do something like a Football 101 class where they can go in depth and explain coverages, blocking schemes etc.. I know a lot of you on here are well versed on the subjects but I sometimes don't have a clue what you guys are talking about

Not a bad idea FFTW. I would never refer to anyone as dumb, but an emphasis on defensive schemes like nickel, dime, zone blitzes, cover 2, cover 3 & why plays fail or succeed might help further discussions on here. They do this once in awhile in segments on NFL Network & NFL Live but a good overview is always beneficial I think. Dustin & Superman are really good at this when they analyze season games with corresponding formation video clips. Gavin & krunk are also good at breaking down formations too. 

I tried watching NFL AM once & grew disinterested really fast. Nothing against the hosts or producers or anything. It just wasn't my cup of tea I guess. Also, I could care less what's trending on twitter NFL Network. That's just me I guess.  You can probably tell that SW1 doesn't have a vast social media empire at my disposal huh & I wouldn't want one either.  haha

They need to do something like a Football 101 class where they can go in depth and explain coverages, blocking schemes etc.. I know a lot of you on here are well versed on the subjects but I sometimes don't have a clue what you guys are talking about

That's a great idea but you have to make that very entertaining or no one will watch..

Folks don't want to be talked down to

To explain things like 3-technique and Cover 2 would be very valuable....if you can make it fun.

The golf channel has a teaching show where a pro plays a round with a very good looking girl host.

They have another show where a pro coach teaches shots to again, a very god looking girl host.

By the way, the Golf Channel is the only sports channel that has a viable morning show..called 'Morning Drive'

Its on 7 days a week.

But golf is a 12 month a year sport.

I'd like a football game show..a trivia show where the answers come in the form of highlights.

I also think they could have a history show. The history of teams like the Packers and Bears is very deep.

But the history of the former AFL teams is just as interesting..

But what they really need is a summer football league

All the off season talk shows on football are stupid. Someone has to dig up subjects to talk about for eight long months and they are all nonsense and meaningless. Does anyone here sit down and talk football everyday during the off season? Who gives two cents about what Paducah Chipmunks will do come next year when the date is two weeks after the Super Bowl? Get a life, go shovel snow, plan your summer vacation or spring break parties, just go off the air until someone gives a **** about what you are talking about, you know like maybe August!!!!!

But the question is: What would you do with it

I don't really care what they do with it during the offseason. I'll tune in occasionally during the season but I don't watch it much for the reasons I've stated above. I guess if I was in charge I'd just not have it on from May until training camp but it doesn't make a difference to me.

I don't really care what they do with it during the offseason. I'll tune in occasionally during the season but I don't watch it much for the reasons I've stated above. I guess if I was in charge I'd just not have it on from May until training camp but it doesn't make a difference to me.

But that's the point of the thread. That's the question.

In many respects, they agree with you that it isn't good. That's why they put it on vacation/hiatus.

I dont know and I don't care isn't an option for them.

Its the NFL Network. They own it. Its not going anywhere. They almost cant lose money because I'm sure they tie the morning show into their ad buys for their games and the other shows. What would you do on air in the morning hours?

You really cant run the last days' 6-7 p.m. show. Why would a regular viewer watch

You talk of Mike and Mike but that show is propped up by over 100 sports talk radio stations around the nation..

Colin and First Take especially wouldn't stand on their own...anyplace else..without the rest of ESPN

How does the NFL network tie the other things they do into a morning show where the real money is

made and the league is promoted. Have Roger Goddell host one day a week and take calls?

Put someone like Howard Stern on and go non-sports in the a.m. using it as a lead in to the sports?