Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

impressed by Duron

ColtsFanMikeC

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Colts-OTAs-WR-Duron-Carter-Interview/a8b5e181-c73f-4809-9ef6-5bc91f42a680

I just watched this video.  After hearing he has stood out from Newsome, I was more intrigued by him than I had been before.

He sounds very professional (given all the knocks on his past, I was kind of figuring he would not be as well spoken -- you know what happens when you assume....)

I really like to hear he sounds humble, is well spoken, and seems to be embracing tutelage from the vets (Hasselbeck and Andre Johnson are the two he mentions, although he mentioned Andrew is helping him, too).  I also am happy to hear him say he is learning the playbook and trying to become a professional.

I'm biased. I really like this kid.  Been impressed with him for a while, after I heard of him, of course.  Really hope he does well here.  Really like the end of the video.  "everybody has done something spectacular to get here, its more of knowing what you are doing every play."  sounds like he is quoting Andre there.  

Hope he learns the playbook the way it sounds like he wants to.  hopefully he can just play when the time comes.  

I'm so jacked about our receiving corps. If Carter is as good as we think he can be I wonder how we'll find playing time for him?

Assuming he cracks the 53 (or whoever cracks the 53 out of the WRs and TEs), Pep is going to have to get creative.

Rogers and others at WR who have been on the 53 did not always suit for games, so that could be the case if we keep 5 WRs or 4 TEs. 

However, we have a lot of versatility at both spots.  Allen last year caught a very high percent of his receptions for TDs (8 out of 29 -- that is over 25%, which I imagine is the highest percent for anyone over 5 TDs last year), Fleener is a big target, Doyle is a good blocker and a decent receiver and from the sounds of things, Swoope is developing into a pretty good receiving TE with good size.  TY and Dorsett are tiny, but they are blazing fast, then we've got Andre and Duron who aren't blazing fast but are both big with good speed and good hands and Moncreif who is big and fast and has decent hands.

I can see Duron on the field in redzone situations and to give AJ a breather from time to time.  The beauty of AJ is he still has skill, but because he is getting up there in years, it might be smart for the coaches to allow guys like Moncreif and Duron take some of his reps in the regular season so he is at full health come post-season. 

Who knows, if Duron makes the team and is a regular on the 53 man roster, maybe we'll see some 5 WR spreads.  Not really sure how teams will be able to adjust to our offense if we sub on the fly from 2-3 TE packages to 5 WR packages.

Who would you compare him when and if he hits his ceiling. Who in the nfl can he play like, or compare to. I don't know his 40 time, or his game speed. I'd say since he's slim, and assuming his game speed looks like a low 4.5. He can compare to AJ Green.

I loved his dad Cris Carter in Minnesota so he comes from an exceptional WR bloodline. I'm torn because I'd love to see him flourish here, but we can't keep dudes who don't make the final roster just to be sentimental either. I wanna win now & that means cutting ties at the end of August so be it. 

Good luck man. I'm pulling for ya, but we can't keep a guy just on potential alone & how are we gonna split reps amongst TY, Moncrief, Allen, Fleener, & Duron? Someone's drawing the short straw. 

I loved his dad Cris Carter in Minnesota so he comes from an exceptional WR bloodline. I'm torn because I'd love to see him flourish here, but we can't keep dudes who don't make the final roster just to be sentimental either. I wanna win now & that means cutting ties at the end of August so be it. 

Good luck man. I'm pulling for ya, but we can't keep a guy just on potential alone & how are we gonna split reps amongst TY, Moncrief, Allen, Fleener, & Duron? Someone's drawing the short straw. 

How's it going SW! For this year we can keep them all, let Brown and Whalen go. Of course down the road we will lose someone most likely.

Why are you talking about cutting ties?

He either makes the roster,  or he's a candidate for the Practice Squad.

But,  he might not clear waivers to make the PS,  so he's a strong candidate to make the final-53.

It's too early to be torn and worries.....

Why would we want to trade Duron or Moncrief?  Andre may only be here for 1 year.  I think our receiving core going forward will be TY, Dorsett, Moncrief and Carter.  But that's just my opinion  LOL.

pep now has the option to rotate receivers to keep defenses confused

Multiple WR sets are cool to watch & all & yes, it provides Pep versatility sure, but I wanna see a relentless pass rush & protect Luck like an unborn baby in the womb.

#Clean Jersey with no grass stains.  haha

Why would we want to trade Duron or Moncrief? Andre may only be here for 1 year. I think our receiving core going forward will be TY, Dorsett, Moncrief and Carter. But that's just my opinion LOL.

cause if they all are good someone isn't gonna wanna be in the sidelines wasting his career

Why are you talking about cutting ties?

He either makes the roster,  or he's a candidate for the Practice Squad.

But,  he might not clear waivers to make the PS,  so he's a strong candidate to make the final-53.

It's too early to be torn and worries.....

Yeah, I suppose PS would be okay as a last resort NCF. PS to me always screams either Project or potential. 2 words that get coaches fired a lot. I wanna win in december in the snow. I could care less about October & a high octane offense. Gotta win in the trenches. I get what your saying though. 

How's it going SW! For this year we can keep them all, let Brown and Whalen go. Of course down the road we will lose someone most likely.

Hey there Jared, good call on eventually releasing Whalen maybe. I'd be okay with that. I like his work ethic & all & at 1 time I thought he might be decent on special teams, but that spot or his performance never knocked my socks off either so I could see that release coming to fruition down the proverbial turnpike too.

What I don't want is a surplus at the WR position at the expense of jeopardizing our pass rush or running back lanes to punch thru. You get this Jared which I like most about you as a poster on here. You're not the only 1 obviously, but you were 1 of the first to repeat this montra/ theme & I respect people who don't ignore our vulnerabilities or pretend they don't exist. Thank you man.  :thmup:

As much as I tease Bengals HC Marvin Lewis about never getting fired in Cincinnati, I do have profound respect for his team's o-line, d-line, & the chucks of yards his backs chew up if Andy Dalton would just get his crap together. Could you imagine what Luck could do with that Bengals protection & ground game? Holy moly man. Wow...

Pretty sure Father Carter sat him down & probably told him "If you blow this one, it's probably over"

Good point TK. Cris is a perfect mentor for his son given what happened to him at Philadelphia with the Eagles under HC Buddy Ryan.

Cris has seen substance abuse 1st hand & walked thru hades to wear a yellow HOF jacket. He shook hands with the devil & survived.

I'm just saying he can clue Duron on the pitfalls of fame & the NFL spotlight & media scrutiny 24/7. That's a family asset a lot of football athletes don't have at their deposal. 

When people say Duron is not fast, I don't buy into that. He runs a 4.54, and he has football speed, which is far more important. Jerry Rice did not run a fast 40, but when the ball was in his hands, he ran away from players.

One of the main reasons I loved Carter as a pickup was his frame and DNA, but when you look at the highlights, he goes over the middle without any fear, and after he makes catches he simply runs away from people. I know Chad Johnson was impressed with his speed and ability, and if he can translate that to the NFL, going forward with Montcrief, TY, Dorsett, Duron, and our 3 TE's after Andre leaves, we will continue to have one of if not the most potent offenses going forward. With Andre and Frank this year, we are going to be scary good on offense!

I'm so jacked about our receiving corps. If Carter is as good as we think he can be I wonder how we'll find playing time for him?

He'd likely have to be a bench warmer with the odd play thrown in here and there while AJ is here, barring an injury to one of the starters. I doubt he'd see any significant playing time in the upcoming season. I hope he can be what we all hope he can be whilst being patient to get into our starting lineup or at least into the rotation, which could take a year or two.

On one hand I really wanna see him succeed and be great but on the other I know if he does we will end up trading him cause we would have to many talented WRs and great players aren't gonna wanna be on the bench

Yeah, 2nd time you made this point in the thread and I think both instances are wrong.

To say anyone of the newbies is great or can be at this point is premature.  But if they all turn out to be players, they can manage the roster to the point where they keep them all and wait for Johnson's eventual retirement. Or who knows - maybe it allows them to let TY walk - doubtful but...

I don't think trading commodities when you may need them in this year or in future years is likely.

Yeah I do not understand all of this trade talk... The Colts essentially have 2 rookie WRs right now in Carter and Dorsett.  The starting lineup will most likely be TY and Johnson with Moncrief as the 3rd WR in the lineup.  Carter and Dorsett will most likely be used on special teams and situationally.  Also remember the Colts have 2 TEs that they like to use as receivers as well.

Both Carter and Dorsett need to learn the playbook and get accustomed to the NFL before they see extensive playing time. 

I don't think any of those 5 WRs are going anywhere any time soon... Whalen unfortunately will be the odd man out and will most likely go the way of the Dodo. 

I wouldn't be so sure that if Carter works out that we will be trading someone.  

We where loaded at WR and Grigs took Dorsett anyway and has yet to trade away a talented wideout.

He seems very committed to making sure Luck has plenty of weapons to work with.  I only fear that he may be overly committed to that and isn't filling gaps in our O-line or defense.

I agree. Gotta look into the future with Johnsons age and TY's contract coming up. I think if Duron is showing his true potential, then Griff and Brown are the odd men out.

I think he will see plenty of time.  Only reason being that the Colts will have a 28 pt lead at half and the starters will be benched by the 4th.  I really do see that happening often, and Carter/Moncrief being go2 guys for Hasselbeck.  Our #2's are just as good as alot of teams #1's lol

Not to mention Andre Johnson . haha  Brother Duron wasn't brought here as much for now as the future . He will still be here in 1 capacity or another. And reps is a good problem to be worried about . Im really pumped about our stable of wide outs. One things for sure Luck has to be chomping at the bit to get this party started ! :thmup:

I think he will see plenty of time.  Only reason being that the Colts will have a 28 pt lead at half and the starters will be benched by the 4th.  I really do see that happening often, and Carter/Moncrief being go2 guys for Hasselbeck.  Our #2's are just as good as alot of teams #1's lol

I think it's a bit premature to be crowning Carter and Moncrief as good as a lot of other teams #1's.

Moncrief is only a year in and Carter hasnt even played a single NFL snap. Rein it in a bit. We all hope they are going to play that well sure, but lets not get too ahead of ourselves.

I think it's a bit premature to be crowning Carter and Moncrief as good as a lot of other teams #1's.

Moncrief is only a year in and Carter hasnt even played a single NFL snap. Rein it in a bit. We all hope they are going to play that well sure, but lets not get too ahead of ourselves.

Come on Chucklez, they are impressing in OTAs... how many other team's #1 WRs are impressive in OTAs?  I'm guessing NONE, only Grigson knows how to find good receivers and he has them all on the Colts roster.

Not to mention Andre Johnson . haha  Brother Duron wasn't brought here as much for now as the future . He will still be here in 1 capacity or another. And reps is a good problem to be worried about . Im really pumped about our stable of wide outs. One things for sure Luck has to be chomping at the bit to get this party started ! :thmup:

You got that right!

I can imagine Pep and Andrew in the film room like a couple of mad scientists drooling over the lethal concoction they are brewing up...  :woah:

I do appologize for not being clear, but Carter would be a #3  AJ TY are 1's Dorsett and Moncrief are 2's and Carter would be a 3.  I was stretching it a bit, but I bet you Moncrief could be a #1 on alot of teams.  Perhaps not the go2 guy but still a starter nonetheless.  I also do admit was exagerating a little, but not too much! lol

I do appologize for not being clear, but Carter would be a #3 AJ TY are 1's Dorsett and Moncrief are 2's and Carter would be a 3. I was stretching it a bit, but I bet you Moncrief could be a #1 on alot of teams. Perhaps not the go2 guy but still a starter nonetheless. I also do admit was exagerating a little, but not too much! lol

If Moncrief is your #1 then your WRs are complete %. There are roughly 0 teams he'd be a #1 for, at this point.