Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Goodell "The Devil"?

krunk

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it was owners, like Robert Kraft, who voted to give Goodell this much power in the first place. As for hugging, why would someone complain about hugs? These rookies seem to WANT to hug Goodell. If you're a rookie and you want to simply do a handshake, Goodell is perfectly alright with that.

I good hard handshake is enough.  That is what grown men should do.  Hugging is for family and your dearest friends.  

These same guys will be calling him the devil soon enough.  Let's shake hand and be a man.  I know my late father would have agreed...That is my opinion and I will stick to it. :thmup:

He also said this, which makes no sense to me

Among other topics in the interview, Horn also said he's not mad at New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for trying to "get ahead" if he had a part in deflating footballs.

Horn, however, said he has "disrespect" for Patriots coach Bill Belichick and thinks he should be suspended for a year for his part in Deflategate, because Belichick "knows what everyone is doing."

Goodell's not the devil. Yeah, the man has made some mistakes. Who hasn't ? I think the recent show of events regarding DeFlateGate he has decided in his mind to say, "enough is enough". Re-establishing respect is certainly in the commissioner's mindset now concerning the NFL as a whole. Let the man do his job. If the owners want to change venue, well, it's up to them by setting and prioritizing power in a different way. Right now, as it stands, Goodell has sent a message to all owners, players, and teams by way of their elected protocol. Agree or disagree with him, he's all the NFL has right now as to making final decisions on a variety of things.

Nah, but I think Joe Horn is the kind of person who simply hates rules, people who enforce them, and casts blame on them when something goes wrong.  Not sure what you would call it, but somehow I see a connection between wanting to perform excessive celebrations, sue authority for wrong doing, then calling the Commissioner the devil. Maybe a misguided anarchist?

From Wiki:

Cell phone celebration[edit]

Always a spirited and outspoken player, Horn gained notoriety for a memorable touchdown celebration on ESPN Sunday Night Football against the New York Giants during the 2003 season. After scoring his second touchdown in a game in which he would score four, he pulled a cell phone out from underneath the goalpost padding with the help of teammate Michael Lewis and pretended to make a call.[9] Horn's prank drew a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and a $30,000 fine by the NFL. He later stated that he did not realize what he had done right away. This celebration was later used in the videogame Blitz: The League which allows excessive celebrations.

Lawsuit against the NFL[edit]

In December 2011, Horn made headlines when he and a group of 11 other former professional players filed a lawsuit against the NFL. Horn and his attorneys allege that the league failed to properly treat head injuries in spite of prevailing medical evidence, leading the players to develop effects of brain injury ranging from chronic headaches to depression.[10]

Nah, but I think Joe Horn is the kind of person who simply hates rules, people who enforce them, and casts blame on them when something goes wrong.  

That would make sense then why he hates Bill Belichick for deflate-gate, but not Tom Brady. So he thinks that just because Tom Brady isn't a head coach, he's exempt from punishment if he doesn't follow the rules? Belichick confronted Brady and asked if Brady any involvement in deflate-gate, and Brady said no. I don't know what more Joe Horn wants from Belichick.

That would make sense then why he hates Bill Belichick for deflate-gate, but not Tom Brady. So he thinks that just because Tom Brady isn't a head coach, he's exempt from punishment if he doesn't follow the rules? Belichick confronted Brady and asked if Brady any involvement in deflate-gate, and Brady said no. I don't know what more Joe Horn wants from Belichick.

Sounds like his philosophy is the rules only apply to the coaches or something.  

Thank you Joe Horn. THANK YOU. Saints fans aren't loopy enough as it is with all their inane conspiracy theories that they have been ranting over the past 3 years. The last thing we need is more former players, including one that wasn't even on the 2009 team coming out to scream about how Roger Goodell is worse than any deity mankind has ever created. 

I'm through with bounty gate. Screw it. I don't want to hear about it anymore. IT'S OVER. Move the hell on. It happened 3 years ago, and regardless of the punishment we suffered, I do not care anymore. I don't want to talk about it either. Any posts to me mentioning bounty gate in a derogatory way will be ignored. I am not going to blame my team's lack of success in recent years on Roger Goodell. My fan base might, but I'm not one of them. There is a reason I absolutely despise the mental asylum that is of their forums. 

Everything under the sun is Roger Goodell's fault according to NFL fans. What you are hearing from the Pats about how Deflate gate is a conspiracy is no different than what my fan base mouthed off years ago and still say to this day. 

Roger Goodell is not the be all/end all of the world. I know, NFL fans treat him the way Americans do the president and blame him for literally everything under the sun, but that's not the way it works. Goodell did not even hand down the punishment to the Patriots. Troy Vincent did. Much like how U.S. politics works, Goodell is just the face. He don't have that much power as people think. The NFL is set up in a way the owners have more power than he does. If you don't believe me, pay attention to rule changes and who votes on everything. Goodell is not Judge Dredd. (and believe me, I wish he was) 

I'm really scared to see what happens in the next collective bargaining agreement.. I can see them taking over a year to agree.. there may not be a season at all.

Despite what fans say, Roger Goodell is well liked by the owners. He isn't going anywhere any time soon. Kraft obviously couldn't sway owners to side with him against Goodell, despite all we hear about how powerful he is. Fans can say whatever they want. They can moan and whine as much as they want. It don't matter cause they are consumers. They don't vote, and no matter how much the fans despise Roger Goodell, they'll still keep shelling out cash to watch their precious sport they can't live without. The NFL has been making more money the past 10 years than they have ever made in history. Goodell is liked for all the right reasons by the owners. 

Saints fans and Pats can cry me a river and build a bridge over it. 

Nah, but I think Joe Horn is the kind of person who simply hates rules, people who enforce them, and casts blame on them when something goes wrong.  Not sure what you would call it, but somehow I see a connection between wanting to perform excessive celebrations, sue authority for wrong doing, then calling the Commissioner the devil. Maybe a misguided anarchist?

From Wiki:

Cell phone celebration[edit]

Always a spirited and outspoken player, Horn gained notoriety for a memorable touchdown celebration on ESPN Sunday Night Football against the New York Giants during the 2003 season. After scoring his second touchdown in a game in which he would score four, he pulled a cell phone out from underneath the goalpost padding with the help of teammate Michael Lewis and pretended to make a call.[9] Horn's prank drew a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and a $30,000 fine by the NFL. He later stated that he did not realize what he had done right away. This celebration was later used in the videogame Blitz: The League which allows excessive celebrations.

Lawsuit against the NFL[edit]

In December 2011, Horn made headlines when he and a group of 11 other former professional players filed a lawsuit against the NFL. Horn and his attorneys allege that the league failed to properly treat head injuries in spite of prevailing medical evidence, leading the players to develop effects of brain injury ranging from chronic headaches to depression.[10]

Goodell wasn't even the commissioner when Joe Horn got fined. Although I agree that Horn sounds like an * here, and he made a butt of himself when he did the cell phone celebration, also. He had previously been critical of Terrell Owens and his sharpie celebration, but then he hopped in on the action. Hypocritical, to say the least.

I agree that Goodell isn't the king who rules all like Pharoah. He's more the the president who is the king but hardly rules all.

BUT presidents still get what they want because they're lawyers. They find a way...every time. It's just not by begeading or crucifying people. Because of that I don't blame the owners for Goodell. Goodell is turning the screws on some of them (I said some...I'm sure he has some supporters for other reasons) just like the president does us.

I good hard handshake is enough.  That is what grown men should do.  Hugging is for family and your dearest friends.  

These same guys will be calling him the devil soon enough.  Let's shake hand and be a man.  I know my late father would have agreed...That is my opinion and I will stick to it. :thmup:

Sounds like someone needs a hug... :P

Thank you Joe Horn. THANK YOU. Saints fans aren't loopy enough as it is with all their inane conspiracy theories that they have been ranting over the past 3 years. The last thing we need is more former players, including one that wasn't even on the 2009 team coming out to scream about how Roger Goodell is worse than any deity mankind has ever created. 

This is bad. Saints fans are going to love this too much and develop even more mental insanity. 

This is bad. Saints fans are going to love this too much and develop even more mental insanity. 

After what I read on Saints Report the last week, this is the best visual to describe the place

3d_sketch_of_asylum_chamber_by_wolfewolf

To be fair, Joe Horn is not the first Saints player to come out with anti-Goodell rant like that and accuse him of being the worst thing ever.

But right now, 3 years after the fact, I just want to move on. I will be happy if we win 10 games next year, and I'll be happy if we don't win another Super Bowl because I am a Saints fan after all. I wish our fans would be appreciative of what success we've had instead of pretending we really had a chance for another SB in the last 3 years. Roger Goodell is not to blame for our lack of success. Time changes, and the league is very unpredictable. 

To be fair, Joe Horn is not the first Saints player to come out with anti-Goodell rant like that and accuse him of being the worst thing ever.

But right now, 3 years after the fact, I just want to move on. I will be happy if we win 10 games next year, and I'll be happy if we don't win another Super Bowl because I am a Saints fan after all. I wish our fans would be appreciative of what success we've had instead of pretending we really had a chance for another SB in the last 3 years. Roger Goodell is not to blame for our lack of success. Time changes, and the league is very unpredictable.

You're a Saints fan right...so maybe you know. IIRC wasn't Joe Horn the player that was accused of causing a locker room rift because he had a fairly long affair with another player's wife? I think it was Horn.

You're a Saints fan right...so maybe you know. IIRC wasn't Joe Horn the player that was accused of causing a locker room rift because he had a fairly long affair with another player's wife? I think it was Horn.

With Willie Roaf's wife. I think that's what you're talking about. 

Happened a long time ago. Like 13 years ago I think. Saints fans do not talk about it much, but from what I know, there was another person involved, and the opinion differs depending on who you talk to about it. 

I'm through with bounty gate. Screw it. I don't want to hear about it anymore. IT'S OVER. Move the hell on. It happened 3 years ago, and regardless of the punishment we suffered, I do not care anymore. I don't want to talk about it either. Any posts to me mentioning bounty gate in a derogatory way will be ignored. I am not going to blame my team's lack of success in recent years on Roger Goodell. My fan base might, but I'm not one of them. There is a reason I absolutely despise the mental asylum that is of their forums. 

Everything under the sun is Roger Goodell's fault according to NFL fans. What you are hearing from the Pats about how Deflate gate is a conspiracy is no different than what my fan base mouthed off years ago and still say to this day. 

Roger Goodell is not the be all/end all of the world. I know, NFL fans treat him the way Americans do the president and blame him for literally everything under the sun, but that's not the way it works. Goodell did not even hand down the punishment to the Patriots. Troy Vincent did. Much like how U.S. politics works, Goodell is just the face. He don't have that much power as people think. The NFL is set up in a way the owners have more power than he does. If you don't believe me, pay attention to rule changes and who votes on everything. Goodell is not Judge Dredd. (and believe me, I wish he was) 

Despite what fans say, Roger Goodell is well liked by the owners. He isn't going anywhere any time soon. Kraft obviously couldn't sway owners to side with him against Goodell, despite all we hear about how powerful he is. Fans can say whatever they want. They can moan and whine as much as they want. It don't matter cause they are consumers. They don't vote, and no matter how much the fans despise Roger Goodell, they'll still keep shelling out cash to watch their precious sport they can't live without. The NFL has been making more money the past 10 years than they have ever made in history. Goodell is liked for all the right reasons by the owners. 

I agree, Bogie! Nice post. I am a _HUGE_ ColtsFan first and always. A SaintsFan #2. NOLA is my hometown where I grew up. Hard watching my beloved Colts get beaten by my #2 team in the Super Bowl several years back. Love NOLA and always will!

I agree, Bogie! Nice post. I am a _HUGE_ ColtsFan first and always. A SaintsFan #2. NOLA is my hometown where I grew up. Hard watching my beloved Colts get beaten by my #2 team in the Super Bowl several years back. Love NOLA and always will!

Great place to grow up, wish I could say I visited more. I haven't seen it in some years now. Only place I know to find good jazz clubs loaded with energetic bands! 

I have a soft spot for the Colts which can be blamed for years spent on this board.  :goodluck:

Nice post Bogie. Yeah, it's time for New Orleans to cut the cord on Bounty Gate & just concentrate on winning games in the Dome at home this season. Yep, if you keep making owners billions in revenue & media expose across the globe Goodell will still get handsomely overpaid. Great work if you can find it naturally. 

I was cut from the same cloth Brent. It's like getting your college diploma: Your professors don't care. Just stroll across the stage & end the formalities as quickly as possible. 

Embracing one's boss just seems odd to me. There are a few exceptions maybe: Their retirement, your retirement, winning the lottery...